PDA

View Full Version : NHC Lennon avoids banner row.

Jim44
22-09-2012, 03:24 PM
By refusing to comment on the row over the atrocious 'Rangers zombie' banner displayed at Parkhead, is Lennon condoning hatred and bigotry. "I have seen the story but can't comment on that, that is between the SFA and the club hierarchy." You would think it would be impossible to put up a case for the actions of their supporters, and given their self-acclaimed 'Bhoys against Bigotry' campaign, you would think a man in his position would jump at the chance to berate his team's misguided supporters.

hibeedonald
22-09-2012, 03:26 PM
By refusing to comment on the row over the atrocious 'Rangers zombie' banner displayed at Parkhead, is Lennon condoning hatred and bigotry. "I have seen the story but can't comment on that, that is between the SFA and the club hierarchy." You would think it would be impossible to put up a case for the actions of their supporters, and given their self-acclaimed 'Bhoys against Bigotry' campaign, you would think a man in his position would jump at the chance to berate his team's misguided supporters.

Surely calling rangers fans zombies isn't sectarian?

Keith_M
22-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Nonsense.

For once, I actually support Lennon becuase too often in the past he's had far too much to say on non-football related issues. I just hope he decides this is his new policy and applies it generally.

Also, what on earth has 'Bigotry' got to do with it? You remind me of the paranoid Sevco fans who use that as their catch all defence for everything.

--------
22-09-2012, 03:29 PM

No, but calling Zombies Rangers fans is defamatory. :cb

hibsbollah
22-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Lennon has no reason or obligation to comment, why would he?

Jim44
22-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Yes it is. Bigotry doesn't just apply to sectarianism. It includes intolerance and prejudice to others who do not hold similar views and opinions and much more. The violence of the poster is a gross example of bigotry.

Keith_M
22-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes it is. Bigotry doesn't just apply to sectarianism. It includes intolerance and prejudice to others who do not hold similar views and opinions and much more. The violence of the poster is a gross example of bigotry.

In that case, let's ban all Zombie movies. In fact, I'm starting a 'be kind to Zombies' campaign. Who's with me?

nonshinyfinish
22-09-2012, 03:47 PM
In that case, let's ban all Zombie movies. In fact, I'm starting a 'be kind to Zombies' campaign. Who's with me?

:agree: Down with this sort of thing!

Dashing Bob S
22-09-2012, 03:48 PM

I might be wrong, but I think the issue is not the zombie thing, but the gun-wielding IRA-like figures with Klasnikovs blowing them to pieces.

s.a.m
22-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I might be wrong, but I think the issue is not the zombie thing, but the gun-wielding IRA-like figures with Klasnikovs blowing them to pieces.

...beat me to it. I'm not sure whether bigotry covers the scenario in the banner, though I can see why the football authorities would frown upon fans bearing banners celebrating the gunning down of their rivals.

Keith_M
22-09-2012, 04:01 PM
...beat me to it. I'm not sure whether bigotry covers the scenario in the banner, though I can see why the football authorities would frown upon fans bearing banners celebrating the gunning down of their rivals.

I echo your feelings regarding the character in the banner, looking very 'terrorist like', but most people were objecting to the comments of the OP. He suggested that Lennon should have to comment on the matter and asked 'is Lennon condoning hatred and bigotry?'.

I for one am totally hacked off at the latching on of the most notoriously bigoted fans in Scotland to the 'Bigotry' card. That every is out to get them because of Bigotry. The OP's comments, to me, are almost as good as support for that ridiculous view.

Just Alf
22-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Maybe... Looking at it again it's actually quite funny if they'd left that rifleman out :-)

s.a.m
22-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I echo your feelings regarding the character in the banner, looking very 'terrorist like', but most people were objecting to the comments of the OP. He suggested that Lennon should have to comment on the matter and asked 'is Lennon condoning hatred and bigotry?'.

I for one am totally hacked off at the latching on of the most notoriously bigoted fans on Scotland to the 'Bigotry' card. That every is out to get them because of Bigotry. The OP's comments, to me, are almost as good as support for that ridiculous view.

I would agree with that. The peepil's definition of bigotry seems to cover a wide range of 'offences'; from being pleased that they are being served a small slice of their just desserts, to failing to kowtow to them in the manner to which they've become accustomed.

The banner's not on, though.

joe breezy
22-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I just saw the banner, had to google it, it is pretty much impossible to kill a zombie so it looks harmless to me, I'm not sure how the figure has been identified as an IRA man?

If a zombie came towards me and I had a gun to hand I'm sure I'd give it a go.

Lennon certainly shouldn't be forced to comment on that banner.

It's got nothing to do with him - his remit should be football

The club should have a PR person who deals with stuff like that

And that PR person and the club shouldn't have allowed that banner to be shown as it isn't hard to envisage that it would be misinterpreted

vanNISHtelroy
22-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Careful now!

NOLA
22-09-2012, 04:33 PM
maybe he doesnt want to annoy bruce? :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-09-2012, 04:47 PM
You can tell from past efforts that Celtc fans can't spell for toffee, so turning their efforts to drawing has worked for them. The upright figures and monkeys are kinda patchy, but the figure with the rifle doesn't look like a first effort. Wonder if the Zombie is stained blue rather than bloostained?

Elephant Stone
22-09-2012, 04:50 PM
By refusing to comment on the row over the atrocious 'Rangers zombie' banner displayed at Parkhead, is Lennon condoning hatred and bigotry.

No.

Atrocious, really?

Shrekko
22-09-2012, 05:33 PM
slanderous.

Why do folk in Scotland insist on referring to slander?

Elephant Stone
22-09-2012, 05:54 PM

I blame TV.

TV and Neil Lennon.

cabbageandribs1875
22-09-2012, 06:08 PM
No.

this

Atrocious, really?

and this

:agree: no idea why lennon should have to answer a Q about a banner, or even why on earth he was asked the Q in the first place

Apocalypso
22-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Typical Weejie *****e that shouldn't merit bandwidth on this illustrious site.

whiskyhibby
22-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Typical Weejie *****e that shouldn't merit bandwidth on this illustrious site.

Could not agree more!

sahib
22-09-2012, 07:05 PM

I can't see what was wrong with the banner. Was one of the figures a well known religious figure or something.:confused:

Hibercelona
22-09-2012, 07:10 PM
A lot of Zombies were very upset about this banner and rightfully so.

Being compared to that lot is disgusting.

Jim44
22-09-2012, 08:46 PM

I'm obviously in a tiny majority who find the banner offensive. That being the case, it must be a miscarriage of justice that they have been taken to task for it and undoubtedly Celtic will be found to be innocent in this case.

--------
22-09-2012, 09:14 PM

Careful now!

I'm surprised that no one's pointed out that surely this is an ecumenical matter? :cb

LeighLoyal
22-09-2012, 09:15 PM
When did shooting zombies become a bad idea? :confused:

--------
22-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Because I was posting in the English language, and 'slanderous' is a word in English with both a technical legal meaning and a more general colloquial meaning. I was using the word in the general colloquial sense.

However, I've adapted the post to accommodate you.

I'm just nice that way. :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
22-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I just saw the banner, had to google it, it is pretty much impossible to kill a zombie so it looks harmless to me, I'm not sure how the figure has been identified as an IRA man?

If a zombie came towards me and I had a gun to hand I'm sure I'd give it a go.

Lennon certainly shouldn't be forced to comment on that banner.

It's got nothing to do with him - his remit should be football

The club should have a PR person who deals with stuff like that

And that PR person and the club shouldn't have allowed that banner to be shown as it isn't hard to envisage that it would be misinterpreted

Right hud oan a minute , are there zombies in Essex?, give Rick Grimes a phone call if there are, he will show you how to kill them.

Hibercelona
22-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Every fan of Sevco should be given free copies of shawn of the dead, then perhaps they'll lighten up a little.

Although I very much doubt it, as everybody is apparently against them. (which is probably quite close to the truth to be fair)

Jim44
22-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I can't see what was wrong with the banner. Was one of the figures a well known religious figure or something.:confused:

Really? What has religion got to do with it? You are saying that an image of someone 'gunning down' a supporter of your rival team is acceptable? I can't believe the indifference of some on this board. I can only hope that I am being wound up.

HibeeMG
22-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Really? What has religion got to do with it? You are saying that an image of someone 'gunning down' a supporter of your rival team is acceptable? I can't believe the indifference of some on this board. I can only hope that I am being wound up.

Surely you're the one at the wind up.

The rival supporter had been shown to have risen from the dead!! The banner wasn't advocating gun violence against non-zombie supporters.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever had to write in my life. Thanks for making me spell it out for you.

NAE NOOKIE
22-09-2012, 11:34 PM
For crying out loud .... have we become so bloody serious about ourselves that we cant take something in a good humour.

As far as I can see the banner is a very clever take on the Zombie Huns jokes that have been doing the rounds on here and elsewhere. In every Zombie film ever made there are hundreds of Zombies getting plugged in every scene .... its what you do to Zombies FFS.

To suggest that the banner is advocating The Rangers supporters or players should be shot at in real life is just rediculous.

I am all for getting rid of sectarianism or vile chants, racism and the like ...... but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Jones28
23-09-2012, 12:59 AM

I quite agree.

As a zombie myself I am appalled at being compared to rangers fans :agree:

Pete
23-09-2012, 01:07 AM
For crying out loud .... have we become so bloody serious about ourselves that we cant take something in a good humour.

As far as I can see the banner is a very clever take on the Zombie Huns jokes that have been doing the rounds on here and elsewhere. In every Zombie film ever made there are hundreds of Zombies getting plugged in every scene .... its what you do to Zombies FFS.

To suggest that the banner is advocating The Rangers supporters or players should be shot at in real life is just rediculous.

I am all for getting rid of sectarianism or vile chants, racism and the like ...... but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Totally agree.

Sorry, I meant I would agree if the banner didn't clearly have a silhouette of one of the hunger strikers carrying an armalite with a pipe-bomb by his side.

That black guy from the road signs must be raging that someone else has muscled in on his "thing".

Lucius Apuleius
23-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Used to love Carmageddon!!!!

Cabbage East
23-09-2012, 08:26 AM
The things folk get offended about :faf:

tomhorn
23-09-2012, 12:03 PM
The firs part if the banner is really funny. The machine gun boy is maybe too far though. Leet the weegies worry aboot it. Erses.

PatHead
23-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Is it a small banner or far away?

vanNISHtelroy
23-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Is it a small banner or far away?

:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
23-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I've seen the banner in question. What makes the OP or anybody else connect the 'gunman' of the zombies with the IRA? There is no hint of Irish politics there.

If Hearts were to go under then re-form and we made a similar banner, would it connect us with the IRA?

Come on, let's not go too far.

Sir David Gray
23-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I've no time for the Green Brigade and some of their antics are shameful and rightly criticised.

However I thought that banner was actually quite humourous to be honest.

Some folk get far too worked about things these days.

Saughton Hibby
24-09-2012, 01:25 AM
I see the humor side but I think I can also see what the Green Brigade are trying to slyly put in there with the soldier at the end.... Although I may be wrong?

And as for Lennon, as if he is ever going to criticize his horde regardless of what they do or sing.

Phil D. Rolls
24-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Think you need to watch some episodes of Scooby Doo. A laugh might do you good.

Tbh if Zombies were walking in my street id be looking for someone to gun them down. If it was a living hun, id let the obesity and fags take their course.

CmoantheHibs
24-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Just had a look at the banner.I find it amusing and clever.I think people are taking it far too serious when its only a bit of humour.

Phil D. Rolls
24-09-2012, 07:16 AM
I see the humor side but I think I can also see what the Green Brigade are trying to slyly put in there with the soldier at the end.... Although I may be wrong?

And as for Lennon, as if he is ever going to criticize his horde regardless of what they do or sing.

I think id prefer them to criticise them when they do something wrong. Not when they carry off a well crafted gag.

dangermouse
24-09-2012, 07:58 AM
The problem with the football media in this country is they know SFA about football and like to concentrate on the stupid thinks in life like zombie banners and asking Kenny Shiels his reaction to the comment on the Hibs website etc etc.

Maybe if reporters stuck to discussing what went on on the park people may take them a bit more seriously. How many times have we heard a reporter ask Lennon or the current incumbent of Rangers (when they were in the SPL) the same question over and over despite the interviewee making it plain on the first answer he was not willing to talk about it. The media need to grow up and start treating fans, managers and players like intelligent people and not like brain dead zombies.

For the record, I thought the banner was quite amusing and I have no idea why there is such a commotion about it.

Phil D. Rolls
24-09-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm surprised that no one's pointed out that surely this is an ecumenical matter? :cb

I can see a gap in the market for anyone that manufacturers Zombie tea. :agree:

Newry Hibs
24-09-2012, 08:09 AM
I've seen the banner in question. What makes the OP or anybody else connect the 'gunman' of the zombies with the IRA? There is no hint of Irish politics there.

If Hearts were to go under then re-form and we made a similar banner, would it connect us with the IRA?

Come on, let's not go too far.

There are /were many homemade signs with gunmen in such poses and styles. A popular one was a red triangle 'road sign' with 'sniper at work' on it. I suspect the banner was done deliberately and even a hint of a possible connection with anything remotely Irish and green is more than enough to get the blue side shouting about offence and bigotry etc etc.

Phil D. Rolls
24-09-2012, 08:12 AM
There are /were many homemade signs with gunmen in such poses and styles. A popular one was a red triangle 'road sign' with 'sniper at work' on it. I suspect the banner was done deliberately and even a hint of a possible connection with anything remotely Irish and green is more than enough to get the blue side shouting about offence and bigotry etc etc.

It's got me doing the Hokey Cokey! :greengrin