PDA

View Full Version : Scotland - France on BBC Alba at 5:00pm today

theonlywayisup
19-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Women's Euro 2013 qualifier taking place at Tiny - usually there are some Hibs players in the team.

The Scots are already assured of a play-off place as runners-up after their 2-1 win away to Wales at the weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19639233

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19639233)

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm sure blackpoolhibs will be tuning in.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm sure blackpoolhibs will be tuning in.

Just switched over for a couple of minutes, Its like watching a poor sunday league match and there goes the 2nd, 2 down after laughable defending from a corner. Its back to the chase for me, while not half as funny as the womens football, its a little more entertaining.

Mon Dieu4
19-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Just put on bbc2 to watch Eggheads and there is woman's fitba on there too

Hibs7
19-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Just watched 5 minutes of it, they missed an open goal from 2 yards, and their defending is criminal, as bad as the real Scotland team and not much better looking either ;-)

whiskyhibby
19-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Currently Scotland getting tanked 4-0 after 70 minutes !

Hibs7
19-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Currently Scotland getting tanked 4-0 after 70 minutes !

Not surprised, they couldn't stop a parked car.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Just caught a bit of the game on the news, and i must say a couple of those French players are very tasty.

Famous Fiver
19-09-2012, 06:02 PM
French women's football team are the best in Europe.

I thought the French played some pretty good football.

Hibercelona
19-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Just watched 5 minutes of it, they missed an open goal from 2 yards, and their defending is criminal, as bad as the real Scotland team and not much better looking either ;-)

It's a good thing that we never see men missing from 2 yards, otherwise some people could argue that some male football players are equally as poor.

cabbageandribs1875
19-09-2012, 06:15 PM
French women's football team are the best in Europe.

I thought the French played some pretty good football.

so why have Germany won 7 of the last 8 European championships :confused:

Hibs7
19-09-2012, 06:17 PM
It's a good thing that we never see men missing from 2 yards, otherwise some people could argue that some male football players are equally as poor.

Some of them are ....;-)

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2012, 06:19 PM
so why have Germany won 7 of the last 8 European championships :confused:

French team are professional footballers, all but one of the Scotland team amateurs.

France currently ranked 5 in world, Germany 2nd

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Just switched over for a couple of minutes, Its like watching a poor sunday league match and there goes the 2nd, 2 down after laughable defending from a corner. Its back to the chase for me, while not half as funny as the womens football, its a little more entertaining.

I realise you're fishing, but snide, sneering misogyny is unlikely to be regarded as a positive character trait.

Famous Fiver
19-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Cabbage

Tell me the score the last time the two teams met, please.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2012, 06:33 PM
I realise you're fishing, but snide, sneering misogyny is unlikely to be regarded as a positive character trait.

I am 100% not fishing, just saying it how i see womens football. :confused:

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I am 100% not fishing, just saying it how i see womens football. :confused:

I get it that you don't like it, fine. It's the sneering that is pretty shabby. Where's the benefit?

cabbageandribs1875
19-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Dear fiver, in a competitive match ? or meaningless friendly ?

comnpetitive match:

france 2 germany 4

friendly: germany 1 france 2

Qwestion next

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I get it that you don't like it, fine. It's the sneering that is pretty shabby. Where's the benefit?

A couple of minutes ago i was fishing, now i'm sneering, i will be sexist next. I wont be able to go out soon for worry. :rolleyes:

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2012, 07:44 PM
A couple of minutes ago i was fishing, now i'm sneering, i will be sexist next. I wont be able to go out soon for worry. :rolleyes:

In fairness in my first post I did call you a sneering misogynist, so you've already been called sexist.

I don't expect you to worry or change your mind by the way, I just think your views on this subject are pretty shabby.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2012, 08:17 PM
In fairness in my first post I did call you a sneering misogynist, so you've already been called sexist.

I don't expect you to worry or change your mind by the way, I just think your views on this subject are pretty shabby.

You are right, i wont change my mind. My views might be shabby, but rightly or wrongly i'd put money on them being in the majority, although most wont admit it.

Twa Cairpets
19-09-2012, 08:48 PM
You are right, i wont change my mind. My views might be shabby, but rightly or wrongly i'd put money on them being in the majority, although most wont admit it.

So what? Most people in Scotland are probably Old Firm fans, does that mean by your logic that we should accept them as being right in their affiliation? You've committed a classic logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum.

My gripe is that you can't seem to help having a pop when's thread on women's football comes up. If it isnt of interest, just ignore the thread. Having a boorish little comment for the sake of re-affirming your contempt seems a bit pathetic.

Famous Fiver
20-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Thank you cabbage.

I stand by my initial remark.

easty
20-09-2012, 08:53 AM
French team are professional footballers, all but one of the Scotland team amateurs.

France currently ranked 5 in world, Germany 2nd

I dinnae know anything about womens football (other than the fact they're ****in' awful), but if thier world rankings are anything like the mens world rankings then you cant really deduce much from who is placed where. So France being behind Germany means nowt.

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I dinnae know anything about womens football (other than the fact they're ****in' awful), but if thier world rankings are anything like the mens world rankings then you cant really deduce much from who is placed where. So France being behind Germany means nowt.

I'll ignore the first line because it is unnecessary pish.

However the rankings in the women's game are I think much more reflective of actual quality than in the mens - the relative state of the development of the game in the various countries is largely reflective in their rankings. where there is professional opportunity - Germany, USA, Japan, the teams are stronger and ranked higher. Where its entirely or predominantly amateur, its weaker. The range of quality is much greater also - there are large countries where the numbers of active female footballers are tiny fractions of percentages. In Scotland, by the way, females active in football is just under 1%.

easty
20-09-2012, 09:10 AM
I'll ignore the first line because it is unnecessary pish.

However the rankings in the women's game are I think much more reflective of actual quality than in the mens - the relative state of the development of the game in the various countries is largely reflective in their rankings. where there is professional opportunity - Germany, USA, Japan, the teams are stronger and ranked higher. Where its entirely or predominantly amateur, its weaker. The range of quality is much greater also - there are large countries where the numbers of active female footballers are tiny fractions of percentages. In Scotland, by the way, females active in football is just under 1%.

Lots of things are "unnecessary pish" TC. But I dont particularly see why you seem to get your panties in such a twist if someone points out that there is about as much skill and technical ability in a womens football match as there would be if you threw a football into the penguin enclosure at the zoo.

Would you get all uppity if someone said David Stephens is pish? He is, but would be like Messi up against any the womens players.

Maybe the rankings are more reflective in womens football, I really couldn't say otherwise. Is it 10 keepie-uppies gets them to number 1 in the world? 9 for second place, 8 for third...etc. :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Lots of things are "unnecessary pish" TC. But I dont particularly see why you seem to get your panties in such a twist if someone points out that there is about as much skill and technical ability in a womens football match as there would be if you threw a football into the penguin enclosure at the zoo.

Would you get all uppity if someone said David Stephens is pish? He is, but would be like Messi up against any the womens players.

Maybe the rankings are more reflective in womens football, I really couldn't say otherwise. Is it 10 keepie-uppies gets them to number 1 in the world? 9 for second place, 8 for third...etc. :greengrin

I get annoyed probably because I'm heavily involved in the girls game. I see the ability, dedication and development that young female footballers have and it is very high - in terms of attitude its generally better than boys of equivalent age. Your "penguin" line is perfectly representative of the kind of institutional negativity that people (men and women) who love football and, frankly, should know better demonstrate towards women's football. If girls come across this type of attitude, its hardly going to encourage them to play, and what possible benefit does / could that attitude have? The logical extension to your position is that they either shouldn't really play simply because they're girls, or should be prepared to subject themselves to a patronising misogyny from men who play "real" football.

Its clearly not the same standard as men's football - no-one is claiming it is. Its likely that the physical differences between the sexes will mean that women will never play at the top end of the mens game, but so what - that doesn't mean by default that it is *****. This is the case for every team sport or physical sport in the world, its not a specially different case for football. I get irked because the position you seem to be taking is one that women/girls can't be technically as good as boys/men - is this what you think? Or is it that less girls are generally interested in football, which is true, but also that they have much less access to playing and good coaching, and therefore as things stand are less likely to develop and stay in the game?

As for your David Stephens analogy, he is better than around 99% of footballers in the country, and has been a professional footballer playing full time for, what, 6 years? If you put him in any team of amateur players he'll shine regardless of their sex.

Your post I suspect has something of a fishing aspect to get a reaction, but I don't see what you get out of the sneering other than wind-up points. Would you slag off disabled football because its not as good? It's just a group of players defined by certain criteria wanting to play a game most of the people on this board presumably love.

easty
20-09-2012, 10:06 AM
I get annoyed probably because I'm heavily involved in the girls game. I see the ability, dedication and development that young female footballers have and it is very high - in terms of attitude its generally better than boys of equivalent age. Your "penguin" line is perfectly representative of the kind of institutional negativity that people (men and women) who love football and, frankly, should know better demonstrate towards women's football. If girls come across this type of attitude, its hardly going to encourage them to play, and what possible benefit does could that attitude have? The logical extension to your position is that they either shouldn't really play simply because they're girls, or should be prepared to subject themselves to a patronising misogyny from men who play "real" football.

Its clearly not the same standard as men's football - no-one is claiming it is. Its likely that the physical differences between the sexes will mean that women will never play at the top end of the mens game, but so what - that doesn't mean by default that it is *****. This is the case for every team sport or physical sport in the world, its not a specially different case for football. I get irked because the position you seem to be taking is one that women/girls can't be technically as good as boys/men - is this what you think? Or is it that less girls are generally interested in football, which is true, but also that they have much less access to playing and good coaching, and therefore as things stand are less likely to develop and stay in the game?

As for your David Stephens analogy, he is better than around 99% of footballers in the country, and has been a professional footballer playing full time for, what, 6 years? If you put him in of amateur players he'll shine regardless of success.

Your post I suspect has something of a fishing aspect to get a reaction, but I don't see what you get out of the sneering other than wind-up points. Would you slag off disabled football because its not as good? It's just a group of players defined by certain criteria wanting to play a game most of the people on this board presumably love.

"Its likely that the physical differences between the sexes will mean that women will never play at the top end of the mens game, but so what - that doesn't mean by default that it is *****." - But, it does though. It's ***** to watch, because they're ***** at it. I wouldn't tell them not to play, far from it, if people enjoy doing something then they should have fun doing it. But just because they're enjoying it doesnt mean that I have to give it some kind of faux-merit. It is what it is. I know loads of guys who play football but are absolutley murder, and I'll tell them that, and I'll point and laugh when they do something crap, but I wouldnt tell them not to play (I'd probably tell them to play in someone elses team though).

"Would you slag off disabled football because its not as good?" - Maybe. I've never watched disabled football, but if I did I might slag it for being *****. Standard would probably be higher than that I've seen in womens football though.

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 10:22 AM
"Its likely that the physical differences between the sexes will mean that women will never play at the top end of the mens game, but so what - that doesn't mean by default that it is *****." - But, it does though. It's ***** to watch, because they're ***** at it. I wouldn't tell them not to play, far from it, if people enjoy doing something then they should have fun doing it. But just because they're enjoying it doesnt mean that I have to give it some kind of faux-merit. It is what it is. I know loads of guys who play football but are absolutley murder, and I'll tell them that, and I'll point and laugh when they do something crap, but I wouldnt tell them not to play (I'd probably tell them to play in someone elses team though).

Compared to what? Professional men's football? Junior football? Amateur football? Hibs are ***** compared to Barcelona but that doesn't mean that Hibs are ***** at the competitive level in which they have to play.
You've said yourself above that you "don't know anything about women's football other than that they're awful", so what are you basing your opinion on. Yesterdays game? The French were exceptional, anyone suggesting otherwise is genuinely talking oot their erchy.
You'll point and laugh at your mates because they're your mates. I'm not saying for a minute anyone should be precious about women's football - a lot of players aren't particularly good (although I would argue very strongly that in the SWPL and the national team that is mostly not true), as is the case in all football. What I object to is the default dismissal of them having any ability purely because they are girls/women, not because they're a player who just happens not to be particularly good.

I entirely agree that it is what it is, so why would you slag it off? That's just seeing an easy target and getting a few cheap yucks at its expense.

--------
20-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I get annoyed probably because I'm heavily involved in the girls game. I see the ability, dedication and development that young female footballers have and it is very high - in terms of attitude its generally better than boys of equivalent age. Your "penguin" line is perfectly representative of the kind of institutional negativity that people (men and women) who love football and, frankly, should know better demonstrate towards women's football. If girls come across this type of attitude, its hardly going to encourage them to play, and what possible benefit does could that attitude have? The logical extension to your position is that they either shouldn't really play simply because they're girls, or should be prepared to subject themselves to a patronising misogyny from men who play "real" football.

As for your David Stephens analogy, he is better than around 99% of footballers in the country, and has been a professional footballer playing full time for, what, 6 years? If you put him in of amateur players he'll shine regardless of success.

Yup. :agree: Hockey. ICE hockey, TC?

Women's hockey may not be as fast or as violent as men's, but it would be a brave man who told the Canadian women's hockey team they have no right to play the game or call themselves hockey-players just because they're women. "****in' awful" might just be his famous last words before his teeth went down his throat.

(If it ever happens, though, I want to be there. I'll cheer the ladies on and do the funeral for free.)

There is SO much wrong with the game of football in Scotland - it's as if the SFA have established a museum for all the hideous pregudices and bigotry that other nations and communities are slowly but surely consigning to the dustbin of history.

Religious bigots a la 17th century? We've got them.

The idea that the rich make the rules and the poor get screwed? Cast you eye towards Ibrox and Parkhead and the way the SPL runs.

Sexist misogynists who reckon the wee wumman should be either in the kitchen cooking or the bedroom undressed and ready for her lord and master - certainly not playing the beautiful game where anyone can see her - we got them too.

I watched a number of the games in the Olympic women's football. In my judgement, those games were as entertaining as the matches in the men's tournament. Some were more entertaining than many of the men's matches. They were different - less physical, by and large, though some of the Canadian and US defenders are not lassies I'd want to meet on a lonely road on a dark night - but just as entertaining.

This is all generally true of women's sports at the top level, I find - and competitors only reach the top level by way of hard work, coaching, and encouragement.

In certain sports, actually, the women's competitions are much better to watch than the men's - and I'm not thinking of gymnastics or beach volleyball. The Olympic women's fencing tournaments, for example, especially the foil and sabre, were almost balletic in comparison to the men's events. And not so many years ago women weren't allowed to fence epee or sabre (the heid-yins thought they might get hurt, allegedly, but it was just that the men didn't want to be embarrassed right across all the pistes, if you ask me). Now they fence all weapons, and no problems arise - except when a woman carves up a bunch of men with her epee or sabre, as the women do quite often.

I wasn't aware that a there was a legal requirement for all Scotsmen including unreconstructed yahoos to watch the women's football last night. I was working, so I didn't, but the polis haven't charged me yet. Nor will they, I guess.

MY hope is that PERHAPS as women and girls in Scotland play the game in increasing numbers and at an increasingly higher level, some of the more toxic attitudes - bigotry, sectarianism, mysogyny, homophobic hatred, racism, and the unthinking acceptance of foul-mouthed abuse of a player's character, origins and sexuality MIGHT just be mitigated a little.

Or at least some of them might be ....

heretoday
20-09-2012, 10:39 AM
5-0 Seems like our women can't play for toffee either.

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 10:47 AM
...Sexist misogynists who reckon the wee wumman should be either in the kitchen cooking or the bedroom undressed and ready for her lord and master - certainly not playing the beautiful game where anyone can see her - we got them too.

I have to say that the SFA in the last 2-3 years have dramatically improved their support for women's/girls football, particularly at grassroots level. The establishment of development programmes/pathways and the quality of coaching/support that elite female youth players get is light years improved from what it was just a few years ago. The grassroots clubs themselves have excellent support and development mechanisms also if they wish to utilise them. I've been in and around youth/amateur football for a lot of years and the least ten years have genuinely seen a lot of the old attitudes and behaviours disappear. It'snot perfect by any means, but its a damn sight better than it was

I watched a number of the games in the Olympic women's football. In my judgement, those games were as entertaining as the matches in the men's tournament. Some were more entertaining than many of the men's matches. They were different - less physical, by and large, though some of the Canadian and US defenders are not lassies I'd want to meet on a lonely road on a dark night - but just as entertaining.

This is all generally true of women's sports at the top level, I find - and competitors only reach the top level by way of hard work, coaching, and encouragement.

In certain sports, actually, the women's competitions are much better to watch than the men's - and I'm not thinking of gymnastics or beach volleyball. The Olympic women's fencing tournaments, for example, especially the foil and sabre, were almost balletic in comparison to the men's events. And not so many years ago women weren't allowed to fence epee or sabre (the heid-yins thought they might get hurt, allegedly, but it was just that the men didn't want to be embarrassed right across all the pistes, if you ask me). Now they fence all weapons, and no problems arise - except when a woman carves up a bunch of men with her epee or sabre, as the women do quite often.

I wasn't aware that a there was a legal requirement for all Scotsmen including unreconstructed yahoos to watch the women's football last night.
There wasn't, but that's my point, kinda. If you don't like it don't watch it. If you don't care, then don't bother commenting on it

MY hope is that PERHAPS as women and girls in Scotland play the game in increasing numbers and at an increasingly higher level, some of the more toxic attitudes - bigotry, sectarianism, mysogyny, homophobic hatred, racism, and the unthinking acceptance of foul-mouthed abuse of a player's character, origins and sexuality MIGHT just be mitigated a little.

Or at least some of them might be ....

Here here.

Good post Doddie.

easty
20-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Compared to what? Professional men's football? Junior football? Amateur football? Hibs are ***** compared to Barcelona but that doesn't mean that Hibs are ***** at the competitive level in which they have to play.
You've said yourself above that you "don't know anything about women's football other than that they're awful", so what are you basing your opinion on. Yesterdays game? The French were exceptional, anyone suggesting otherwise is genuinely talking oot their erchy.
You'll point and laugh at your mates because they're your mates. I'm not saying for a minute anyone should be precious about women's football - a lot of players aren't particularly good (although I would argue very strongly that in the SWPL and the national team that is mostly not true), as is the case in all football. What I object to is the default dismissal of them having any ability purely because they are girls/women, not because they're a player who just happens not to be particularly good.

I entirely agree that it is what it is, so why would you slag it off? That's just seeing an easy target and getting a few cheap yucks at its expense.

What I object to is the default dismissal of them having any ability purely because they are girls/women, not because they're a player who just happens not to be particularly good. - you're absolutley missing the point, I am in no way saying they're crap because they're women. I'm just saying they're crap. All of them. That Marta girl from Brazil at the Olympics...crap, and shes meant to be one of the best there is!

I entirely agree that it is what it is, so why would you slag it off? - are people only allowed to have (or voice) opinions on things if they like them? I don't like dance music, it's also *****. Tiesto is about as talented as a monkey with a drum set. Mushrooms are disgusting, the food of the devil. BBC comedy nowadays, awful, canned laughter with ***** obvious jokes, the writing is pathetic. Should I never give my opinion on those things either?

newmarket_hibbee
20-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Canada beat France in the Olympic bronze medal playoff, also their match against the US. was the most entertaining game of the tournament. In Sinclair we have probably the top female fitba player at the moment.............if only some of these SPL matches were half as entertaining.........

Dear fiver, in a competitive match ? or meaningless friendly ?

comnpetitive match:

france 2 germany 4

friendly: germany 1 france 2

Canada beat France in the Olympic bronze medal playoff, also their match against the US. was the most entertaining game of the tournament. In Sinclair we have probably the top female fitba player at the moment.............if only some of these SPL matches were half as entertaining.........

Qwestion next

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 11:55 AM
What I object to is the default dismissal of them having any ability purely because they are girls/women, not because they're a player who just happens not to be particularly good. - you're absolutley missing the point, I am in no way saying they're crap because they're women. I'm just saying they're crap. All of them. That Marta girl from Brazil at the Olympics...crap, and shes meant to be one of the best there is!
You know F*** all about football then mate.

I entirely agree that it is what it is, so why would you slag it off? - are people only allowed to have (or voice) opinions on things if they like them? I don't like dance music, it's also *****. Tiesto is about as talented as a monkey with a drum set. Mushrooms are disgusting, the food of the devil. BBC comedy nowadays, awful, canned laughter with ***** obvious jokes, the writing is pathetic. Should I never give my opinion on those things either?
Nope, opinion is fine as long as you don't mind people pointing out that your opinion is, in this case, reeking of sexism, ignorance and stupidity.

JimBHibees
20-09-2012, 12:03 PM
[B]But, it does though. It's ***** to watch, because they're ***** at it.
[B.

I take it you didnt watch the Olympics football which IMO was much more watchable than the Mens equivalent and had some exceptional games US v Canada being the obvious one.

Sergio sledge
20-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I get annoyed probably because I'm heavily involved in the girls game. I see the ability, dedication and development that young female footballers have and it is very high - in terms of attitude its generally better than boys of equivalent age. Your "penguin" line is perfectly representative of the kind of institutional negativity that people (men and women) who love football and, frankly, should know better demonstrate towards women's football. If girls come across this type of attitude, its hardly going to encourage them to play, and what possible benefit does / could that attitude have? The logical extension to your position is that they either shouldn't really play simply because they're girls, or should be prepared to subject themselves to a patronising misogyny from men who play "real" football.

As for your David Stephens analogy, he is better than around 99% of footballers in the country, and has been a professional footballer playing full time for, what, 6 years? If you put him in any team of amateur players he'll shine regardless of their sex.

I generally agree with you on this TC, but just a couple of points:

The first bit in bold - I went to the womens Olympic football final at Wembley and saw a game which was better in terms of skill level, application and attitude than many of the recent SPL games I've been to. That's not to say that if either of these teams were to come up against an SPL team that they would win however.

The second bit in bold - What I have read and heard about the recent paralympics is that the paralympians have noticed and welcomed a change in the attitude of people towards them and their performances. People praising them for good performances, but not being afraid to criticise them for poor performances where previously the athletes would have been patronised about their heroic performance and how inspiring they are after even poor performances. I don't think we should be afraid to criticise standards of sport just because of who does it, however criticism has to be tempered with a knowledge of the different struggles, attitudes and opportunities that the sports people have had to deal with to get to where they are. Some of the comments on this thread are borne out of a level of ignorance more than anything else I would imagine.

All of them? Really? I take it you have watched every single womens match there has ever been to have been able to make this informed comment on the abilities of all female footballers? Making sweeping generalisations based on nothing but your view of probably a handful of womens football matches doesn't really help your argument much.

easty
20-09-2012, 01:02 PM
You know F*** all about football then mate.

Nope, opinion is fine as long as you don't mind people pointing out that your opinion is, in this case, reeking of sexism, ignorance and stupidity.

Obviously I know nothing about football, of course thats correct. Well done you.:rolleyes:

Pray tell.....what do I say that is sexist? I've clearly said that I don't think they're crap cos they are women, I think they are crap because when they play...they play crap.

easty
20-09-2012, 01:09 PM
All of them? Really? I take it you have watched every single womens match there has ever been to have been able to make this informed comment on the abilities of all female footballers? Making sweeping generalisations based on nothing but your view of probably a handful of womens football matches doesn't really help your argument much.

Insert slow hand clapping smillie.

That's my points blown right out the water, what a fantasticly logical comment you've made. Far be it for me to assume that when watching women play at the Olympics I assume they're the best female footballers in the world.

I've never read Fifty Shades of Grey but have discussed with women at my work and argued that it's "probably not brilliant", I'll withdraw that statement now as if I havent read it then how can I possibly have an opinion.

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Obviously I know nothing about football, of course thats correct. Well done you.:rolleyes:

Pray tell.....what do I say that is sexist? I've clearly said that I don't think they're crap cos they are women, I think they are crap because when they play...they play crap.

You said"...I am in no way saying they're crap because they're women. I'm just saying they're crap. All of them"
What other thing links the ability of all women footballers (all of whom are crap, in your words, remember) other than the fact they are women? What other common denominator is there upon which you base your opinion?

I retract the statement you know nothing about football, and reduce it to a statement that you know little or nothing about great swathes of football.

Sergio sledge
20-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Insert slow hand clapping smillie.

That's my points blown right out the water, what a fantasticly logical comment you've made. Far be it for me to assume that when watching women play at the Olympics I assume they're the best female footballers in the world.

I've never read Fifty Shades of Grey but have discussed with women at my work and argued that it's "probably not brilliant", I'll withdraw that statement now as if I havent read it then how can I possibly have an opinion.

:rolleyes: Having not read Fifty Shades of Grey you are perfectly entitled to say that it is "probably not brilliant," you'd probably be right. (you see I haven't read it either :wink:) What you cannot say when you haven't read the book is that it is "definitely not brilliant." You cannot pass an definite opinion on something you have no knowledge of.

You also cannot post the definite opinion "I'm just saying they're crap. All of them," when you haven't seen all of them play. What you could say is, "The womens footballers that I have seen have been crap." Incidentally, judging a players ability based on their performance in a few games at a football tournament is always a bad idea. It's pretty easy to find players who look like they could be the best in the world based on a few games at the world cup but turn out to be crap. It's also pretty easy to find players billed as the best in the world who play crap at a tournament, if they were judged on that tournament alone they would be judged as crap. That's why football managers always say you shouldn't sign someone on the back of a good tournament.

I'm not arguing that there aren't crap female footballers. There are. There are also crap male footballers, myself included :greengrin

As I said, making a sweeping generalisation based on seeing a few games of womens football does nothing to strengthen your argument....

easty
20-09-2012, 01:49 PM
You said"...I am in no way saying they're crap because they're women. I'm just saying they're crap. All of them"
What other thing links the ability of all women footballers (all of whom are crap, in your words, remember) other than the fact they are women? What other common denominator is there upon which you base your opinion?

I retract the statement you know nothing about football, and reduce it to a statement that you know little or nothing about great swathes of football.

They are all crap. Not because they are women, they're crap because none of them is any good. Well, none of them that I've seen. Bearing in mind whenever I've seen it it's been on TV, do they keep all the best ones off the telly? Just to keep them a secret from the big bad sexist world?

Hey....I've got 2 more posts than you on Hibs.net....so I must know more about football than you!:cb

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 02:06 PM
They are all crap. Not because they are women, they're crap because none of them is any good. Well, none of them that I've seen. Bearing in mind whenever I've seen it it's been on TV, do they keep all the best ones off the telly? Just to keep them a secret from the big bad sexist world?

Hey....I've got 2 more posts than you on Hibs.net....so I must know more about football than you!:cb

Good grief.

Let's see if we can get this through to you in a different way. Could you tell me why you think all women are crap at football? The answer is "because they're crap" is not acceptable, I'm afraid, that's just restating your opinion. And to re-iterate my earlier point, if you think every female footballer you've seen on telly is, to use your lovely phraseology, crap, then in this particular area, it is my very strong belief that you know nothing about what constitutes a good or bad footballer.

Your last little point is a bit facile, isn't it? (Mind you, if it's representative of how your personal logic works it does explain your posts).

easty
20-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Good grief.

Let's see if we can get this through to you in a different way. Could you tell me why you think all women are crap at football? The answer is "because they're crap" is not acceptable, I'm afraid, that's just restating your opinion. And to re-iterate my earlier point, if you think every female footballer you've seen on telly is, to use your lovely phraseology, crap, then in this particular area, it is my very strong belief that you know nothing about what constitutes a good or bad footballer.

Your last little point is a bit facile, isn't it? (Mind you, if it's representative of how your personal logic works it does explain your posts).

Goodness gracious me.

Let's see if I can get you to understand what's meant by crap. They're crap because, at the highest level, the passing is poor, the pace of and power in the game is far too slow and weak, the reading of the game is barely amateur, the goalkeepers might as well be Weebl's for all the good they do. If mens football was as bad I wouldn't be interested in watching that either.

You use words like phraseology and facile but you cant see that the last post was clearly tongue in cheek - I'll be honest, I thought you would see that, I thought you were smarter.

Twa Cairpets
20-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Goodness gracious me.

Let's see if I can get you to understand what's meant by crap. They're crap because, at the highest level, the passing is poor, the pace of and power in the game is far too slow and weak, the reading of the game is barely amateur, the goalkeepers might as well be Weebl's for all the good they do. If mens football was as bad I wouldn't be interested in watching that either.

You use words like phraseology and facile but you cant see that the last post was clearly tongue in cheek - I'll be honest, I thought you would see that, I thought you were smarter.

Nope, missed the tongue in cheek bit Easty, probably just ready to jump on you for everything as I think you are so entirely and fundamentally wrong with your stance.

Have a look at Hope Solo playing for the USA and see if you think keepers are all crap. Its definitely the part of the game that in general is furthest behind men though I'll agree with you there.

I'm not saying that the competence of women players at the top level is the same as that of men - it's not, nor is it ever likely to be, certainly in my lifetime. That doesn't mean though that it's crap. If you were to judge every football match on that basis, no-one would watch any game below Barca v Brazil, would they? Not many people do watch women's football in Scotland because it's still in its relative infancy - I'm not trying to convert you either - I just think your views are based on assumption and prejudice. You've little interest in changing your views, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean you're right.

As a side note, I reckon over the years I've played/watched/coached/refereed somewhere in the region 4-5000 football matches, probably a bit more. Genuinely, one of the top 5 games I've seen was an u13 girls cup final for pace, skill, commitment and excitement.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 02:52 PM
The EU are going to have to increase your fish quotas soon easty!

Whos-the-poster
20-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Was at the game yesterday and the french team were very good, their finnishing was excellent at times but thats what you expect from a team full of proffessionals and a team ranked 2 in Europe. Scotland were abit rash in the final third but there was alot to be optimistic about.