PDA

View Full Version : Jambo mates

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Following on from the Jambo flatmate thread, how many Jambo mates do you have? I honestly don't think I've got any, not by design as far as I'm aware, but, maybe a few acquaintances.

iwasthere1972
18-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Brother in law and nephew are Yams. Most of my family are Hibs supporters.

Teo10
18-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I have quite a few... I'm the only Hibee in my team at work too.

Half of them talk **** though so I normally silence them when they try rip me!

Mikey
18-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I don't have any.

ChooseLife
18-09-2012, 01:03 PM
most of my mates are yams, tends to be more of them here in the west of Edinburgh.

Sylar
18-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I have a few I guess, including one of their current players.

More friends from an earlier period in my life than any I see regularly now mind you.

frazeHFC
18-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Most of my year at school was them, but not seen any of them i a couple of years now. My flatmate at Uni is a yam but doesn't really care. Glad i don't know many now! :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-09-2012, 01:16 PM
most of my mates are yams, tends to be more of them here in the west of Edinburgh.

I stay at Slateford, so, thats nae excuse! ;-)

HIBERNIAN-0762
I have a few and they know to shut their traps when I'm around :yw:

EdinMike
With people I talk to and coincide with most days...5 !

And those are truly people i'de call Friends. It's not always about football..

Godsahibby
18-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Best mate is a Jambo, decided way before the final that we would meet up no matter what the score! Easier for him to stick to our agreement but he was decent about it!

Hibrandenburg
18-09-2012, 01:29 PM
None but I do have one blood relative who's a Yam. My mum. Made me ashamed to take mates home when I was a kid ;-)

Treadstone
18-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I remember in 2006 after the semi I worked with 3 of them in an office of 7 . 2 of them were slagging the Hibs support that couldn't sell out their end . Had to remind them that of all the people in the office that went to the game , the only 2 that did were Hibbys .

Moral of the story i have acquaintances that are of a yam persuasion but none that i would count as truly a friend.

YehButNoBut
18-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I play 6/7 a side most Thursdays and am the only Hibby around 6 of them are Jambos ST holders with 4 of these being good friends, they are not all bad...................................just most of them.

Hibercelona
18-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I have no friends that are jambos and only have a couple of family members that are.

I don't know them very well. :wink:

Pretty Boy
18-09-2012, 02:01 PM
About 5 or 6.

All good guys apart from the obvious flaw

jodjam
18-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I can safely say that when we lost that final i never got one text winding me up so appears I have none :greengrin

Mind you the g/friend is a yam

hibsmad
18-09-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't have any.

Lucky guy!

I have a few but have to say that if they weren't then I could enjoy their company a lot more.

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Nae mates Jambo or otherwise so no problem.

Ultrabee1-0
18-09-2012, 02:33 PM
About 7 of my true friends, my step & grandad who abused me after the....

Hiber-nation
18-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Far too many....lost count at 8. That's what happens if you were brought up on the wrong side of town.

We're all far too sensible now to fall out about fitba although in the Mercer takeover days things got a bit out of hand after a few drinks.

scuttle
18-09-2012, 02:47 PM
About 5 or 6.

Similar figures,one a very close friend,but all of them have reminded me almost on a daily basis about THAT final
Cant complain because if it was us that had won thier lives would be a misery

StevieC
18-09-2012, 03:50 PM
About 5 or 6.

Being brought up in the West of Edinburgh I grew up with lots of jambos and obviously some of them became good friends. As you say, most of them are good guys (just clueless about football :wink: ) otherwise they wouldn't be friends.

I'm hoping that those without jambo friends it's down to luck rather than design, because I'd hate to think that someone refused to make friends with someone simply because they supported a different (local) football team.

Old Firm fans on the other hand ... :lolrangers: :wink:

Saorsa
18-09-2012, 03:54 PM
All my mates except three are Hibs supporters, the three though are two arabs and a sheep.

Sean1875
18-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Majority of my group of mates are Jambos. Couple of Hibees and a token hun thrown in though. In fairness to them, theres very rarely any direct abuse thrown about, they just save it to general facebook slagging or do it in their own time :agree:

sbell1875
18-09-2012, 04:16 PM
2 from school that I'm still sort of in touch with and 3 at work. They are all horrible individuals in their own unique way though!

Piqué
18-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I have three jambo associates. Probably about half the hearts fans in the county. Only got 1 hibs 'supporting' friend and he couldn't name a hibs player I don't think. It's all Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic where I live!

Killiehibbie
18-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I had a few when I was growing up but now I don't even know any.

Liam_Hibs
18-09-2012, 04:30 PM
To many.

Makes me sick thinking about it.

LamontHFC©
18-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Basically all of my close friends are jambos.

.Sean.
18-09-2012, 04:34 PM
My best mate is a Jambo. Friendly with another few aswell.

Are some people honestly sad enough to base a friendship on what football team somebody supports?

Northernhibee
18-09-2012, 04:36 PM
I prefer not to regard Jambos as friends. I prefer to regard them from behind a two way mirror.

Hibercelona
18-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Are some people honestly sad enough to base a friendship on what football team somebody supports?

I'll never associate with the underworld.

:wink:

SouthMoroccoStu
18-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Just the one. best mate, best mate from school, went to Uni together, shared a flat together for a couple of years, best man at my wedding.....

First dance when he HAD to dance with a brides maid.......

SUNSHINE ON LEITH!!!!

He was not happy:greengrin:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-09-2012, 06:18 PM
First dance when he HAD to dance with a brides maid.......

SUNSHINE ON LEITH!!!!

He was not happy:greengrin:greengrin

How the hell can anyone dance to that? Hibs anthem etc, but....? ;-)

SouthMoroccoStu
18-09-2012, 06:21 PM
How the hell can anyone dance to that? Hibs anthem etc, but....? ;-)

It's a 3 beat waltz.......and I don't watch strictly :cb

Apocalypso
18-09-2012, 06:35 PM
None in the family and that's good enough for the likes of me. :flag:

Hiber-nation
18-09-2012, 06:37 PM

Hopefully no-one on here anyway....have met a couple of jambos who's hatred for all Hibbies is a bit scary.

Johnny0762
18-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Jambo mates eh? How quaint! :greengrin

MSK
18-09-2012, 06:39 PM
My late Father was a jambo ..my Brothers in law (2) & one of my Sisters are jambos & I have a few mates who also Jambos .. good for the banter ..:agree:

Hibee Ryan
18-09-2012, 06:41 PM
There's about 5 at my school that are mates but their all so so so so so so stupid when it comes to football apart from one of them. The rest have had me rip them to shreds for something so they don't mention it because they no they won't win :wink:. Can only have a decent conversation about any game of football with one of them which is a major shame but the other 4 just don't understand football at all despite being season ticket holders

Johnny0762
18-09-2012, 06:43 PM

Yes there are. There's almost fifty thousand of them in Glasgow watching the likes of Brechin and Peterhead.:agree:

Cauld Bovril
18-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Majority of my mates are Hibbys but got a few good mates who are jumbos. We used to all go into town together before tynie derbies for a few bevvys then go our seperate ways to the game. We`d meet up afterwards, end up ripping the pish out of each other and rolling about the floor like the daft laddies we were. Still all mates but we don`t meet before or after derbies anymore, far too auld to be getting locked up in that wee polis cell in Rose Street now. :greengrin

Rossco1875
18-09-2012, 08:17 PM
My uncle is a Jambo some how as all of my family on my dads side are hibees my gran must have dropped him on his head as a baby :greengrin

Squealing pig
18-09-2012, 08:25 PM

More friends from an earlier period in my life than any I see regularly now mind you.

Better hide from him this month he'll be wanting to borrow some money.

givescotlandfreedom
18-09-2012, 09:42 PM
One who's prone to fuddery when football comes up in conversation.

joe breezy
19-09-2012, 04:58 AM
15% of my Edinburgh friends I would say...

Matty_Jack04
19-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Near enough all my mates are yams, my son is a yam my mum is a yam and all her side of the family are yams

It's not easy being me

calumhibee1
19-09-2012, 07:07 AM
None of my best mates. Obviously know a few but all my mates are hibbys.

gegs70
19-09-2012, 07:15 AM
You can spot a jambo a mile away due to some genetic mix up they only have 6 fingers??

Kato
19-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I have a few Jambo aquaintences and a few Jambo pets but zero Jambo mates.

franks
19-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I have quite a few jambo mates.

One is a real fanatic, season ticket holder, attends all games home and away and you couldn't find a fairer or more decent guy to talk football with. he's in his late 50's which may have something to do with it.

I find on the whole that older jambos are much more into banter at the most, where as younger ones really seem to hate Hibbies, which I find true both ways.

I think the difference was when segregation was brought in. Pre segregation fans on the whole seem to be more into banter where as post segregation fans on the whole tend to hate each other.

down-the-slope
19-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I only class 'supporters' as those who currently attend matches regularly. On that basis 1 friend of 20 years (and his son now 22).
In fact in 2007 when I found myself in madrid rather than at hampdem it was him who kept me up with the match via expensive for him texts....

mim
19-09-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't have any.

Nor me. Why would I? :confused:

:wink:

Hillsidehibby
19-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Majority of my close friends are jambos.

Even at school (Porty) most of my mates in my year were as well.

ekhibee
19-09-2012, 02:21 PM
One of my brother in laws and 3 of my nephews sadly, although their mum (my sister) is a Hibby. I don't have any Yam mates. I'm glad they fumigate the South Stand after every derby game too.

JIm
19-09-2012, 02:37 PM

You should be ashamed of yourself.

silverhibee
19-09-2012, 02:41 PM

:rolleyes: :greengrin

Thecat23
19-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I know a few comments are tongue in cheek but I know a few Hibs supporters who actually don't have and will not want a mate who are Jambo's. Same with Hearts. My bro in law's mate who is a die hard jambo won't wear green etc.. and has no Hibs friends. To me that is just sad. I'd say all my Jambo mates are good lads they just happen to support the dark side. Doesn't make them a bad person. Folk really need to have a look at themselves at times on both sides.

JohnStephens91
19-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I went to Gillespie's High School so most of my friends came from Bruntsfield, Marchmont and Tollcross so most of them are Jambos, I still keep in touch with them and most of them have the decency to not bring up the cup final. From working I am friends with about 5 of them and from university I have another couple. It doesn't bother me because they know that when we go to a derby game and sit in different stands that for 90 minutes we all have our tribal instincts take over, it's not personal and after the game we go back to being regular people.

Some of their fans are trumpets, but that is the same for any support.

Thecat23
19-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I went to Gillespie's High School so most of my friends came from Bruntsfield, Marchmont and Tollcross so most of them are Jambos, I still keep in touch with them and most of them have the decency to not bring up the cup final. From working I am friends with about 5 of them and from university I have another couple. It doesn't bother me because they know that when we go to a derby game and sit in different stands that for 90 minutes we all have our tribal instincts take over, it's not personal and after the game we go back to being regular people.

Spot on mate.

JIm
19-09-2012, 02:55 PM
I know a few comments are tongue in cheek but I know a few Hibs supporters who actually don't have and will not want a mate who are Jambo's. Same with Hearts. My bro in law's mate who is a die hard jambo won't wear green etc.. and has no Hibs friends. To me that is just sad. I'd say all my Jambo mates are good lads they just happen to support the dark side. Doesn't make them a bad person. Folk really need to have a look at themselves at times on both sides.

I have a few jumbo mates but i would never discriminate against them because of their disability.....................Some of them are nearly ok i suppose.

For the record i would never wear anything that is maroon or even close to it. That goes for buying cars etc, moron is a no go.

Thecat23
19-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I have a few jumbo mates but i would never discriminate against them because of their disability.....................Some of them are nearly ok i suppose.

For the record i would never wear anything that is maroon or even close to it. That goes for buying cars etc, moron is a no go.

I don't either, but only because it's a honking colour and doesn't go with anything. My nephew who is a Hibs supporter was picked up by Hearts years ago and i mind i forgot my footy stuff for 7's. He said i have stuff in the car, it was Hearts training gear. Not wanting to pull out and leave the boys short of a player i wore it. I've no idea how he managed to do it every day as i felt horrible. But that's because it was the actually Hearts gear and not just a maroon top. Never lived it down from my Hibs mates.

HibeeSince82
19-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Unfortunatly all my mates growing up were jambos. Thankfully i hardly see them now altough had the great luck of meeting them on a train on the way back from the cup final. Suprisingly they didnt give me too much stick

JIm
19-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't either, but only because it's a honking colour and doesn't go with anything. My nephew who is a Hibs supporter was picked up by Hearts years ago and i mind i forgot my footy stuff for 7's. He said i have stuff in the car, it was Hearts training gear. Not wanting to pull out and leave the boys short of a player i wore it. I've no idea how he managed to do it every day as i felt horrible. But that's because it was the actually Hearts gear and not just a maroon top. Never lived it down from my Hibs mates.

Thats the only scenario i think i could bring myself to wear it, and that is if i was employed or played for the club. Would still feel disgusting however.

darwenhibby
19-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Living down here most if mates support Blackpool fleet wood Wigan and Bolton su I don't really have that problem. In fairness to them they will support Hibs as their Scottish team and try to get to a couple of games a season

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Living down here most if mates support Blackpool fleet wood Wigan and Bolton su I don't really have that problem. In fairness to them they will support Hibs as their Scottish team and try to get to a couple of games a season

A bit like you then. :aok:

London Hibs FC
20-09-2012, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE=Hillsidehibby;3363232]Majority of my close friends are jambos.

Even at school (Porty) most of my mates in my year were as well.[/

I seriously can't get my head around that, I started at Porty in 1983 and I can honestly say that in all the years I was there I only recall running into about a dozen (out of 1100 kids at the time) Jambos ....... absolute Hibs stronghold, i'm truly shocked and saddened to learn that this could happen to my old School!

Please tell me that Castlebrae, Trinity and Leith Academy are all still purely Hibs?!?!?

London Hibs FC
20-09-2012, 01:30 AM

I got expelled a lot, did a two week and one stay stint at Broughton (good amount of Hibees but slightly outnumbered by Jambos) then ended up at Boroughmuir which seemed pretty evenly split back in the day, seems times have really changed! A couple of the half dozen Jambos mates I have were at Gillespie's though and those are the only two that really support and follow the Yams as the other four prefer Rugby!

Maybe it was just the time, it was simply not cool to be a Jambo during the 80s ........ not especially safe either with the CCS dominating City Centre nightlife during most of that decade!

Can't really remember that many Old Firm Fans either (with the exception of Celtic at St Tams and Holyrood maybe!) but it seemed you'd be just as likely to run into an Aberdeen or Dundee Utd Fan than one who supported that now defunct team called Rangers....... It was very rare to see a Gers strip in town!

Schools like Forresters, Sighthill, Liberton etc seemed like an eternity away from Portobello when growing up so don't really know what went on over there (mainly Hearts though I suppose) but I do remember knocking about with a few 'Hibs Boys' who were at these schools too in my teens.

I suppose that's why I don't accept this 'Big Team' myth as it always seemed to me that Hibs were more spread out.

Is old age or simple and sheer delusion perhaps clouding my memory of this?

Ross4356
20-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Whole family is Hibs, apart from my cousins husband and most of my m8's are hibees except 2 tims, 2 huns and 2 jambos from Loanhead!!!

surreyhibbie
20-09-2012, 12:40 PM
A few relatives and one or two acquaintances who i rarely see, but nobody i would call a mate.

Mind you, living down here probably helps!:greengrin

Hillsidehibby
20-09-2012, 01:23 PM

I seriously can't get my head around that, I started at Porty in 1983 and I can honestly say that in all the years I was there I only recall running into about a dozen (out of 1100 kids at the time) Jambos ....... absolute Hibs stronghold, i'm truly shocked and saddened to learn that this could happen to my old School!

Please tell me that Castlebrae, Trinity and Leith Academy are all still purely Hibs?!?!?

I kid you not mate. Although I did start at Porty a good 12 years before you and it may have just been my year!!

Greentinted
24-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Not posted as regularly recently the reasons for which will be obvious as I add my tuppenceworth here.
I like a bit of Yam bashing as much as the next greenblooded Hibs radge but I like to think I know where the limits are. Over the last year or so I have had a series of crappy illnesses which eventually culminated in my physical capitulation.
An old school pal of mine who was in touch 2 years or so ago, has been there for me way beyond the call of any perceived duty. He is a passionate Hearts man, but he too knows the score. We discuss the fitba' but both agree it has its place in and off itself.

One of my kids was yammified too early for me to reverse his choice (and anyway I'm no into forcing stuff on youngsters - kinda like a bairn being baptised/christened when they know diddley-sqiddley about the decision others are making on their behalf) through work commitments. I chose Hibs as I was a born a Leither and while I have been moved to apoplexy many times by my choice, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have pals from both sides of the divide (and the odd - very odd - OF acquaintance) and the day I choose a pal because of, or despite, the fitba' team they favour, is the day I wrap it completely.

And on a personal note, a big solid thanks to my Hearts pal CM (who I know reads this board).

Northernhibee
24-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Slightly off topic, that lot are convinced again that Rudi Skacel is away to sign for them again and an announcement will be today or tomorrow. I'm waiting :greengrin

greenginger
24-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Slightly off topic, that lot are convinced again that Rudi Skacel is away to sign for them again and an announcement will be today or tomorrow. I'm waiting :greengrin

If he has been seen back in Edinburgh it may just be his Court Case is due for a hearing in front of Sheriff MacKinnon on Thursday.

He is being sued by his Agent for the commission on the deal he stuck with Vlad. Hope some searching questions are asked ! :wink:

How much went through the books and how much straight from Lithland.

andudare2
25-09-2012, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=London Hibs FC;3363786]

I kid you not mate. Although I did start at Porty a good 12 years before you and it may have just been my year!!must have changed very quickly after i left in 1969 then m8,pure hibs stronghold then,even run away buses from magdalene/porty when still at porty high,always rammed,there again it was all the nutters hahahaha:flag:

andudare2
25-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Please tell me that Castlebrae, Trinity and Leith Academy are all still purely Hibs?!?!?porty was same re.hibs when i was there from 1965 till 1969 m8,must have been the 70.s goofie culture tha seen the change hahaha:flag:

LeighLoyal
25-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Several Yam mates, they're not die hards though.

Steve-O
25-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Most Hearts fans are absolute pricks. That what I base it on. :agree:

HH81
26-09-2012, 05:32 AM
There is one hearts fan I know in Halifax, actually an ok guy and doesn't tend to speak much about the football when I see him. He doesn't go to games.

In my office there is a Motherwell and killie fan, crazy.

Bill Milne
26-09-2012, 08:17 AM

You were lucky, mate!! I started at Porty in 1967 and was one one a handful of Hibees in my year. Strangely, two went on to play for Hibs - Ralph Callachan & Lawrie Dunn. I the got lucky after moving to Ainslie Park in February 1969. Wall to wall Hibs. I can only remember one Jambo in my year but he came from Drylaw so I guess he was just deranged.

Steve-O
26-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Thinking about it, yams and huns mustn't travel much - I can honestly say I've never seen a single Hearts top in New Zealand? Have seen more than a few Hibs tops, couple of Celtic, Dundee Utd (day after they won the Scottish Cup) and I spoke to a Motherwell fan once on a night out.

The ONLY time I saw any Rangers gear was fairly bizarre - an old couple I'd say were about 60 walking down Lambton Quay (Wellington's equivalent of Princes St pretty much) BOTH wearing identical Rangers full tracksuits?! Was quite a sight! :faf: