PDA

View Full Version : University of Edinburgh - Hibs fans

danhibees1875
18-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Afternoon folks,

Myself and HibeeN have been chatting about trying to get a society going at the university for Hibs fans/foreign football fans who appreciate teams with class. :greengrin There was one a couple of years back but there wasn't really too much interest at the time unfortunately.

Is there anyone on .net who goes to the university/knows a Hibs fan who goes and would be keen on meeting up and chatting Hibs from time to time?

I think we're a little late to start an official society for this year but if we can use this year to gauge interest and get some people in then it would be a lot easier for someone to register it officially next year. :aok:

If you'd be interested post here/drop me a PM. We're also going to have a wee get together in the union (Teviot) a week on Friday (28th) if you fancy coming along!

:flag:

LioNeilMessi
18-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Good idea, I'm in third year just now and was shocked to find that there wasn't a Hibs society in freshers week a couple years back. Would be good to get one set up/ join one. I know a few more Hibees who are at the uni so I could see if they're interested. :thumbsup:

Sexton
18-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Think a girl on here called jenna fletcher did something similar a couple of years back?

danhibees1875
18-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Good idea, I'm in third year just now and was shocked to find that there wasn't a Hibs society in freshers week a couple years back. Would be good to get one set up/ join one. I know a few more Hibees who are at the uni so I could see if they're interested. :thumbsup:

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Think a girl on here called jenna fletcher did something similar a couple of years back?

Aye, I went to a couple of things but lack of interest at the time meant it didn't happen. My thinking is after 3 years there will be 75% new students - and maybe even a couple of Hibs fans. :greengrin

the stig
18-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I have just started first year and would be well up for this.

Frogga
18-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah i was part of the former hibs society which lasted about 6 months in 09/10. I wouldn't completely discourage you from doing it but what i would say is that jenna made a superb effort (convinced the club to give the society a free tour of er, managed to get a signed strip to entice new members as part of a raffle, etc) and the group still had to disband due to people losing interest. The problem is that unless you're going to actively go to hibs games as a group then you may as well set up any old society as it's the actual activities which make or break societies imo. We had the problem that we already had other folk we went to games with so all we did as a society was sit and have a few pints, which was nice but not enough to keep people going regularly. By all means give it a shot but i'd say you have to be committed to going to games together or find an activity (eg. 5s) that'll keep people coming back.

HibeeN
18-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah i was part of the former hibs society which lasted about 6 months in 09/10. I wouldn't completely discourage you from doing it but what i would say is that jenna made a superb effort (convinced the club to give the society a free tour of er, managed to get a signed strip to entice new members as part of a raffle, etc) and the group still had to disband due to people losing interest. The problem is that unless you're going to actively go to hibs games as a group then you may as well set up any old society as it's the actual activities which make or break societies imo. We had the problem that we already had other folk we went to games with so all we did as a society was sit and have a few pints, which was nice but not enough to keep people going regularly. By all means give it a shot but i'd say you have to be committed to going to games together or find an activity (eg. 5s) that'll keep people coming back.

I go to games on my own, so I'd like to find other people to go with! :greengrin You make very good points and these are things we will need to give consideration and take on board. Like dan said, it's not an official society for just now, we're just trying to sound things out and see if there is any interest. Maybe we could do special away days etc, it's something to think about, but for just now we're just trying to get a group together for the 28th to gauge interest and share ideas.

Something I was saying to dan was about trying to generate the interest of foreign students. I know when I was studying in Germany I wanted to go and see sports teams, and ended up going along to ice hockey and football games. So it might be there are football fans out there that would like to go and see a local side, and maybe that's something we can promote.

HibeeN
18-09-2012, 09:04 PM
We've also made a facebook group for anybody that is interested in coming along for a drink next friday (28th) to have a chat about things and share ideas

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139989869480963/members/