PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell Raid

Cocaine&Caviar
18-09-2012, 09:04 AM
The Steelmen are currently top of the table after a terrific start to the SPL season. But the Fir Park gaffer knows as many as 11 of his out-of-contract stars could walk next summer – and he won’t receive a penny.

Some of Well’s top players including Darren Randolph, Tom Hateley, Shaun Hutchinson, Chris Humphrey, Nicky Law, Michael Higdon and Jamie Murphy will all be free to talk to other clubs in January.

And, with English suitors already sniffing around, McCall would be surprised if the club hang on to them.

Obviously a lot of them will be aiming to head back down south after proving themselves up here, but if we could replicate the Clancy situation, giving them a decent wage hike, signing a Higdon or Humphreys, or both would be the ultimate sign of ambition from the board for this season IMO.

A team of:

-------------Williams
Clancy---McPake---Hanlon---McGivern

Humphrey---Deegan---Claros/Taiwo---Cairney

--------------Higdon---Griffiths

could really cement a 2nd place finish I reckon.

allezsauzee
18-09-2012, 09:31 AM
How do we know McGivern is better than Maybury? I do agree on Higdon. I think he's an underrated player. Good touch and links well with midfield as well as scoring a few.

LioNeilMessi
18-09-2012, 09:58 AM
We'd need to try and tie down Griffiths, Deegan (he's signed for one year eh?) and Claros on long term deals as well. It would be a nice looking team :agree:

--------
18-09-2012, 10:37 AM
How do we know McGivern is better than Maybury? I do agree on Higdon. I think he's an underrated player. Good touch and links well with midfield as well as scoring a few.

Good question. There's no way I'd drop Maybury for McGivern, allowing that McGivern will be away from ER in January, while Maybury will be here till the summer. Could it be something to do with the fact that McGivern didn't play for Hearts?

Maybury's a much-needed old head in the team - on Saturday he was first to Paul Cairney at the penalty incident, got hold of him and pulled him out of the ruck of Kilmarnock players surrounding him. Defused the situation from our perspective and made sure Paul didn't lose his head and do something silly.

But Higdon and Humphries are two more than decent players, and I'd be more than happy if they joined Hibs. Can't really see it, though. McCall's not daft, and neither he nor his board would want to strengthen us in the present state of the League.

StevieC
18-09-2012, 11:33 AM
I am dead against "raiding" other SPL teams with the lure of better wages, makes us no better than the Old Firm.

We need a competetive league and there should be a "gentlemans agreement" regarding players from other SPL clubs.

Obviously if the players are leaving anyway then offering a contract would be acceptable, but I wouldn't want to see any "tapping-up".

GreenPJ
18-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I am dead against "raiding" other SPL teams with the lure of better wages, makes us no better than the Old Firm.

We need a competetive league and there should be a "gentlemans agreement" regarding players from other SPL clubs.

Obviously if the players are leaving anyway then offering a contract would be acceptable, but I wouldn't want to see any "tapping-up".

:agree:

Stevie Reid
18-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Good question. There's no way I'd drop Maybury for McGivern, allowing that McGivern will be away from ER in January, while Maybury will be here till the summer. Could it be something to do with the fact that McGivern didn't play for Hearts?

Maybury's a much-needed old head in the team - on Saturday he was first to Paul Cairney at the penalty incident, got hold of him and pulled him out of the ruck of Kilmarnock players surrounding him. Defused the situation from our perspective and made sure Paul didn't lose his head and do something silly.

But Higdon and Humphries are two more than decent players, and I'd be more than happy if they joined Hibs. Can't really see it, though. McCall's not daft, and neither he nor his board would want to strengthen us in the present state of the League.

I think it's obvious that McGivern has been brought in as cover for Hanlon and Maybury - Maybury has been a hugely important player for us, and I'm amazed that St. Johnstone let him go.

Out of all those Motherwell players I would most like Higdon and Hateley - but they'll all be off down South or to Celtic.

--------
18-09-2012, 11:58 AM

The OP isn't suggesting "tapping up" Motherwell players - the Clancy deal was a case of a player out of contract deciding to come to us rather than renewing at Fir Park. The OP specifically refers to "out-of-contract stars", and lists a number of Motherwell players who will be out of contract at the end of the season, and therefore free to talk to other clubs from January onwards. Nothing wrong in Hibs making approaches to these players.

As for "gentlemen's agreements" - don't like them AT ALL. They're just made to be broken. And why should Hibs hold back from offering terms to a player who would be willing to come to Easter Road just because he plays for Motherwell or St Mirren or Dundee?

There's a rule-book regarding transfers. (Though after the events of the past year regarding Rangers you might be surprised to hear it.) Stick to the rule-book - no "tapping up" of players, but any club can approach any player within the terms of the rules and regulations to make him an offer.

MB62
18-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Whilst all the players mentiomed certainly have a decent quality about them, there's two obvious reasons why they will not be signing for Hibs in January.

Motherwell will not sell to another SPL club (unless it's for a ridiculous fee)

Hibs will not pay transfer fees, especially not to another SPL club.

I would imagine PF is already looking at what he needs in January, which could be affected by who returns to their club from our lot.

StevieC
18-09-2012, 02:43 PM
The OP isn't suggesting "tapping up" Motherwell players - the Clancy deal was a case of a player out of contract deciding to come to us rather than renewing at Fir Park.

Probably poor use of the word "raid" then.

The OP specifically refers to "out-of-contract stars", and lists a number of Motherwell players who will be out of contract at the end of the season, and therefore free to talk to other clubs from January onwards.

You mean like Celtic did with Riordan?

As for "gentlemen's agreements" - don't like them AT ALL. They're just made to be broken.

Better than no agreement at all though.

And why should Hibs hold back from offering terms to a player who would be willing to come to Easter Road just because he plays for Motherwell or St Mirren or Dundee?

More competetive league? More time to build better teams? Less animosity between clubs?
If clubs can reach a mutually agreeable deal with six months to go, that results in one team getting a bit of compensation, then no problem at all. I would suggest that the team/player be given the option to keep the player (on loan?) for the final 6 months of his contract though.

There's a rule-book regarding transfers. (Though after the events of the past year regarding Rangers you might be surprised to hear it.)

Exactly. :wink:

Stick to the rule-book - no "tapping up" of players, but any club can approach any player within the terms of the rules and regulations to make him an offer.

In an ideal world .. but we all know that the SPL isn't an ideal world (just look at the recent Templeton sale), which is why "raiding" other clubs doesn't sit right with me.

shetlandhibee
18-09-2012, 03:12 PM
------------Williams--------------
Clancy-----mcpake--hanlon----maybury
---------------claros-------------
Humphery---------------------cairney
------------tawio/wotherpoon-----
---higdon/Doyle------------griffiths

Antell
McGivern
Doyle/higdon
Stevenson
Riordan
Calldwell
Stanton

frazeHFC
18-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Even though Higdon is scoring goals, i wouldn't swap him for Doyle. Motherwell fan said Hidgon has been 'right place right time' this season and actually still looks lazy. Yeah obviously that would do for us as he can score, but i think Doyle and Griffiths have been a joy to watch this season so far. My own opinion of course.

Hibercelona
18-09-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't think it would be fair to drop Doyle. He's not made a big impact in front of goal himself, but he works his socks off in every single game and more than makes up for his lack of goals in other ways.

Mikeystewart
18-09-2012, 04:48 PM
------------Williams--------------
Clancy-----mcpake--hanlon----maybury
---------------claros-------------
Humphery---------------------cairney
------------tawio/wotherpoon-----
---higdon/Doyle------------griffiths

Antell
McGivern
Doyle/higdon
Stevenson
Riordan
Calldwell
Stanton

:bitchy::crazy:

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Rather we tried to keep the players we already have, cos most of the Well guys will either go south or to Sewer Co. A weaker Well would surely lessen the need for us to strengthen?

1875STEVE
18-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Obviously a lot of them will be aiming to head back down south after proving themselves up here, but if we could replicate the Clancy situation, giving them a decent wage hike, signing a Higdon or Humphreys, or both would be the ultimate sign of ambition from the board for this season IMO.

A team of:

-------------Williams
Clancy---McPake---Hanlon---McGivern

Humphrey---Deegan---Claros/Taiwo---Cairney

--------------Higdon---Griffiths

could really cement a 2nd place finish I reckon.

Ive been battering on about Higdon since the guy left Falkirk. Ask the guys on Hibs-Mad, Ive been begging Hibs to go for him every summer since.

Always rated the guy, only problem is, is he not getting on abit now?? 32?? 33?? may be wrong.

Hateley is a good player aswell, but as is mentioned eleswhere, if there is English clubs in for them, we have no chance..

As for the suggestion of being like the OF and signing other SPL clubs better players, **** that, our club has been in the doldrums too long, I couldn't give two *****s who we upset, if we can get players that will better our side, then sign them, no matter who they play for.

Cocaine&Caviar
18-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Ive been battering on about Higdon since the guy left Falkirk. Ask the guys on Hibs-Mad, Ive been begging Hibs to go for him every summer since.

Always rated the guy, only problem is, is he not getting on abit now?? 32?? 33?? may be wrong.

ScottB
18-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Rather we tried to keep the players we already have, cos most of the Well guys will either go south or to Sewer Co. A weaker Well would surely lessen the need for us to strengthen?

Not until January 2014 they can't...

nonshinyfinish
18-09-2012, 09:02 PM

If we were signing players to sit on our bench, purely to weaken the competition, then aye.

If we are signing players that improve the first eleven, then naw.

MB62
19-09-2012, 07:33 AM
I don't think it would be fair to drop Doyle. He's not made a big impact in front of goal himself, but he works his socks off in every single game and more than makes up for his lack of goals in other ways.

Still think Doyle needs to get himself in to the gym and beef himself up a bit more. Get's pushed off the ball a bit too easy for me at times.

jdships
19-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Interesting thread with some good chat :thumbsup:
Can see where the arguments /suggestions are coming from but would ask the question -----
What is the point of a youth set up if we are not going to run it/use it properly. ?
Successive mangers have pulled back from , at least , giving younger home bred players a chance and IMO a number have been released without being given a REAL chance to prove themselves.
PF seems to be keen in promoting the youngsters and I just hope he continues to go down that path .

Alright saying bring in this one and that one but we don't have a bottomless pit of cash to spend .
:flag:

truehibernian
19-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Been off the boards for a wee while so it's good to be back and see a far more upbeat .net :greengrin

I was told yesterday that Hibs now have a strong interest in Chris Erskine from Partick Thistle - left sided attacking midfielder/outside left. Apparently lighting up the First Division with his performances at present. We are also looking at Sibbald from Falkirk so I'm told but that is oldish news.

brydekirk
19-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Truehiibernian, if any o they two mentioned are as good as Cairney, i'll be well happy.

Mikeystewart
19-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Still think Doyle needs to get himself in to the gym and beef himself up a bit more. Get's pushed off the ball a bit too easy for me at times.