PDA

View Full Version : Captain James speaks...

hibs0666
16-09-2012, 05:33 PM
McPake interview for BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19617763)

...more changes needed to turn this into a good team

...far from being a good Hibs team but give the manager time and we will be

...now showing a fighting spirit which has been lacking, not just by the players but through the entire club

Can't argue with any of that :thumbsup:

Speedy
16-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Good to see we are now doing the haka, pretty original for a football club.

inglisavhibs
16-09-2012, 07:22 PM

...now showing a fighting spirit which has been lacking, not just by the players but through the entire club

Realistic from James, we are riding our luck at the moment. We collapsed a bit yesterday when we brought Stevenson on and Sparky first tired and then got injured. Up to that point we were doing ok in the second half. Thought it was strange taking Spoony off as he still had plenty energy at that point. Although Maybury holds his end up and is reasonably steady, he offers nothing going forward in link up play with the impressive Cairney. I hope the new left back gives us more energy up the left hand side. Up front, Doyle is just not good enough. Hardly contributed in the first half and only gets a kick when players start to tire and you get a bit more time on the ball. Great spirit from all the team and there are at least some signs of progress. Support from the stands was impressive.

JohnStephens91
16-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Realistic from James, we are riding our luck at the moment. We collapsed a bit yesterday when we brought Stevenson on and Sparky first tired and then got injured. Up to that point we were doing ok in the second half. Thought it was strange taking Spoony off as he still had plenty energy at that point. Although Maybury holds his end up and is reasonably steady, he offers nothing going forward in link up play with the impressive Cairney. I hope the new left back gives us more energy up the left hand side. Up front, Doyle is just not good enough. Hardly contributed in the first half and only gets a kick when players start to tire and you get a bit more time on the ball. Great spirit from all the team and there are at least some signs of progress. Support from the stands was impressive.

Maybury and Cairney link up well and Doyle is a good forward, always getting into space and he has the ability to turn defenders and beat them with skill and he looks more physical now. Great player to have up front with Griffiths as he creates so much extra space, it's only a matter of time before Doyle hits the net on a regular basis.

SMAXXA
16-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Maybury and Cairney link up well and Doyle is a good forward, always getting into space and he has the ability to turn defenders and beat them with skill and he looks more physical now. Great player to have up front with Griffiths as he creates so much extra space, it's only a matter of time before Doyle hits the net on a regular basis.

:agree:

The previous post about Doyle is wide of the mark IMO. I think heas a clever player who does an effective job, I would like to see him be more direct and play on the last man more as sometjines his best work is either down the flank or in areas where hes having to drop deeper and isnt hurting teams too much.

Happy with his progress so far.

inglisavhibs
16-09-2012, 07:43 PM

You are watching a different game from me! All about opinions though and you are entitled to yours.

Cabbage East
16-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Very harsh on Doyle.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2012, 07:56 PM
I quite like Doyle. He gives 100% if nothing else and that'll do for me for now. He needs to improve his decision making and sharpen up a bit but he's improving imo.

There was a guy behind me yesterday who was never of his back, even when he done something right he gave a sarcastic cheer and made some smart arse comment. The same guy constantly called Maybury a 'hearts *******' though so that about sums him up.

He seemed a bit upset when I asked him if Maybury and Doyle had had a threesome with his missus right enough.

hibees 7062
16-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Good to see we are now doing the haka, pretty original for a football club.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62928000/jpg/_62928730_mcpake.jpg:thumbsup:The James McPake come near me and ill f..k yea up look

inglisavhibs
16-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I quite like Doyle. He gives 100% if nothing else and that'll do for me for now. He needs to improve his decision making and sharpen up a bit but he's improving imo.

There was a guy behind me yesterday who was never of his back, even when he done something right he gave a sarcastic cheer and made some smart arse comment. The same guy constantly called Maybury a 'hearts *******' though so that about sums him up.

He seemed a bit upset when I asked him if Maybury and Doyle had had a threesome with his missus right enough.
Both Maybury and Doyle are good team players who as you say give 100%, i just think we have to get better to have a good team. I thought Sheridan looked much more of a threat than Doyle in yesterdays game. Maybury ! think is a short term fix at left back but hopefully the new guy will give us a bit more.

Jonnyboy
16-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Bizarre blaming the introduction of Stevenson on the so called collapse. Here's why

1. Had we collapsed as you put it, we'd have lost

2. Greeting faced Shiels had loaded his midfield and brought on another forward to try and get the equaliser. It failed but that's why Pat brought Lewis on. Sure, he looked short of match practise but that's because he was.

Furthermore, Doyle is no dud. Watch his movement and then listen to what Pat makes of him.

Opinions eh? :greengrin

Piqué
16-09-2012, 08:22 PM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62928000/jpg/_62928730_mcpake.jpg:thumbsup:

Naughty boy Jamesy. That sock tape isn't the same colour as his socks!

Wotherspiniesta
16-09-2012, 08:58 PM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62928000/jpg/_62928730_mcpake.jpg:thumbsup:

Can we get a smiley for this please? :)

steakbake
16-09-2012, 09:10 PM
The same guy constantly called Maybury a 'hearts *******' though so that about sums him up.

Maybury looked like he was enjoying his full time walkabout as any of the players. He gives 100%, I reckon. Any player like him is welcome at ER, regardless of who he played for in the past.

hibees 7062
16-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Maybury looked like he was enjoying his full time walkabout as any of the players. He gives 100%, I reckon. Any player like him is welcome at ER, regardless of who he played for in the past.

:top marks

jamieross
16-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Both Maybury and Doyle are good team players who as you say give 100%, i just think we have to get better to have a good team. I thought Sheridan looked much more of a threat than Doyle in yesterdays game. Maybury ! think is a short term fix at left back but hopefully the new guy will give us a bit more.

One of them put the ball in the net yesterday, and it wasnt Sheridan. :wink:

I like Doyle, great off the ball movement, just need to add more goals. I do think thatll come in time though.

.Sean.
17-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Doyle is technically excellent and a very good reader of the game. I really rate him.

--------
17-09-2012, 12:26 AM

The 'new guy' as you call him (his name is Ryan McGivern) is here on a loan till Christmas.

Alan Maybury is here till the end of the season.

So suggesting Ryan as a longer-term 'fix' for Alan seems a wee bit strange to me. Maybe if Ryan is actually here on trial with a view to a longer contract it might make sense, but there's been no word of that happening.

Alan Maybury is a strong character, loads of experience and in the side as much for his level-headedness as for his footballing skills. He was very quick to step in and pull young Cairney away from their keeper when said keeper was doing everything he knew to provoke Cairney into reacting after the award of the penalty, which was important - the Killie players would have liked nothing better than for the argument about the penalty award to flare up into a full-blown rammy. Distract the penalty-taker and get some of our players carded ...

And as well as McPake he was also missing from the back four at Dumfries - at least until the second half, by which time the damage had been done, but his absence certainly IMO contributed to the first-half defensive shambles there. He's a steadying influence and well worth his place IMO.

As for the morons who abuse him because he used to play for THEM (I know you're not one of them, btw) - well, I remember Gordon Marshall Snr, an excellent keeper for us in the late 60's - ex-Hearts; Jim Brown, wing-half and captain the first time we went on a Div One 'adventure' - ex-Hearts; Ralph Callachan, a cracking midfielder signed from Newcastle United in the early 80's - Newcastle signed him from Hearts. Eric Stevenson, left-winger in the 1960's before Arfur, a really classy player and a crowd favourite, was signed from Hearts. I could go on, but it's late and I'm heading for bed.

We have a few short-term fixes in the side right now, which doesn't really fill me with confidence for the second half of the season. Alan M at least is here till the summer, and IMO he'll give us value for money and owe us nothing when he leaves.

Sheridan flatters to deceive, IMO - looks good, but you don't get what it says on the tin from him. According to the BBC website, in 106 appearances, plus 38 as a sub, he's managed the princely total of 18 goals. That's one goal every 8 games. 'Nuff said.

I just hope Rod and the boys will have found some extra cash for players come January time.

monktonharp
17-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Bizarre blaming the introduction of Stevenson on the so called collapse. Here's why

1. Had we collapsed as you put it, we'd have lost

2. Greeting faced Shiels had loaded his midfield and brought on another forward to try and get the equaliser. It failed but that's why Pat brought Lewis on. Sure, he looked short of match practise but that's because he was.

Furthermore, Doyle is no dud. Watch his movement and then listen to what Pat makes of him.

Opinions eh? :greengrin Doyle= nae dud but never got a real break yesterday, although he got caught offside a bit too much. Stevenson, well, it would be harsh to blame him for the pressure we were under in the last 20mins, but he is mince. if a proffesional fitba' player is off work for a couple of weeks, suddenly he needs another few weeks to be able to do the job he's employed to do. on the other hand, a postie a labourer a candlestick maker is aff for a couple o' weeks, returns to work and gets oan wi' it. bizzare.

wearehibernian
17-09-2012, 01:32 AM

"They had every right to turn their back on the club and I'm sure some of them still have"

Or THAT...

There is still a long way to go
Clearly this guy cares in some way.
Very unusual.
In society and very unusual in a football context

Jeez, if they still dont get it now after May then are they really that dim?

Slainte

wearehibernian
17-09-2012, 01:37 AM
BTW Ralph Callaghan, probably my favourite Hibs player ever, in my time... he could certainly pass the ball, thats for sure.

Hibs07p
17-09-2012, 05:49 AM
The 'new guy' as you call him (his name is Ryan McGivern) is here on a loan till Christmas.

Alan Maybury is here till the end of the season.

So suggesting Ryan as a longer-term 'fix' for Alan seems a wee bit strange to me. Maybe if Ryan is actually here on trial with a view to a longer contract it might make sense, but there's been no word of that happening.

Alan Maybury is a strong character, loads of experience and in the side as much for his level-headedness as for his footballing skills. He was very quick to step in and pull young Cairney away from their keeper when said keeper was doing everything he knew to provoke Cairney into reacting after the award of the penalty, which was important - the Killie players would have liked nothing better than for the argument about the penalty award to flare up into a full-blown rammy. Distract the penalty-taker and get some of our players carded ...

And as well as McPake he was also missing from the back four at Dumfries - at least until the second half, by which time the damage had been done, but his absence certainly IMO contributed to the first-half defensive shambles there. He's a steadying influence and well worth his place IMO.

As for the morons who abuse him because he used to play for THEM (I know you're not one of them, btw) - well, I remember Gordon Marshall Snr, an excellent keeper for us in the late 60's - ex-Hearts; Jim Brown, wing-half and captain the first time we went on a Div One 'adventure' - ex-Hearts; Ralph Callachan, a cracking midfielder signed from Newcastle United in the early 80's - Newcastle signed him from Hearts. Eric Stevenson, left-winger in the 1960's before Arfur, a really classy player and a crowd favourite, was signed from Hearts. I could go on, but it's late and I'm heading for bed.

We have a few short-term fixes in the side right now, which doesn't really fill me with confidence for the second half of the season. Alan M at least is here till the summer, and IMO he'll give us value for money and owe us nothing when he leaves.

Sheridan flatters to deceive, IMO - looks good, but you don't get what it says on the tin from him. According to the BBC website, in 106 appearances, plus 38 as a sub, he's managed the princely total of 18 goals. That's one goal every 8 games. 'Nuff said.

I just hope Rod and the boys will have found some extra cash for players come January time.

How could you forget Alan Gordon? :greengrin
On a side note, I see he played in '64-'65 season for THEM when they lost the league title on goal average, shame really. :wink:

Brightside
17-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Doyle= nae dud but never got a real break yesterday, although he got caught offside a bit too much. Stevenson, well, it would be harsh to blame him for the pressure we were under in the last 20mins, but he is mince. if a proffesional fitba' player is off work for a couple of weeks, suddenly he needs another few weeks to be able to do the job he's employed to do. on the other hand, a postie a labourer a candlestick maker is aff for a couple o' weeks, returns to work and gets oan wi' it. bizzare.

Unreal. He's been injured. So he has obviously not had the same level of training as the rest of the squad. You would expect him to be off the pace a bit. He's another very good player who well end up leaving due to the amount of rubbish he has to put up with from Hibs fans.

mcvie7
17-09-2012, 06:00 AM
One of them put the ball in the net yesterday, and it wasnt Sheridan. :wink:

I like Doyle, great off the ball movement, just need to add more goals. I do think thatll come in time though.

It wasn't Doyle either?

matty_f
17-09-2012, 08:03 AM
It wasn't Doyle either?

Doyle had the ball in the net only for a bad offside call to go against him.

Jones28
17-09-2012, 08:12 AM
People who are raving about Sheridan, keep it in mind that he had his best season playing alongside Sandaza. I think any striker in the SPL playing next to him would have a good season as he is class.

Mac
17-09-2012, 08:12 AM
You are watching a different game from me! All about opinions though and you are entitled to yours.

Strange, along with sparky & Hanlon, Doyle for me was up there, held the ball up and was unlucky a lot of the time.

lapsedhibee
17-09-2012, 08:17 AM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62928000/jpg/_62928730_mcpake.jpg:thumbsup:The James McPake come near me and ill f..k yea up look

Naughty boy Jamesy. That sock tape isn't the same colour as his socks!

Also missing a knotted handkerchief on the head, to complete the full Michael Palin "Mr Gumby" character.

Stevie Reid
17-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Maybury has been a hugely important signing, anyone who was a Tannadice at the start of the season will tell you that - horrible error against Hearts aside, he has barely put a foot wrong, and is a composed and clever player. Although they are far from perfect, the shape of the back four is very good, and teams haven't gotten in behind us too much this season.

I still cannot understand how so many people cannot see Doyle's quality - he finds pockets of space really well, has a good first touch and can beat a man. It should be remembered that he has only played as a centre forward for one season, and that was in Ireland. He is getting better and learning that position - I think things could work out perfectly with Doyle, I'm sure he will be offered a longer contract and sign it, and I think he will really blossom during that time. Though as things stand, I cannot see us keeping Leigh beyond January, so he could have a big job to do in the latter half of the season.

hibee_girl
17-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Doyle is technically excellent and a very good reader of the game. I really rate him.

:agree: I've said all along he's probably the most intelligent player we have.

HTD1875
17-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Doyle puts in a shift every game plenty effort, not the greatest technically but still an asset to the team movement is good and goals will come. McPake is my hero

:flag:

Chuck Rhoades
17-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Great words from McPake. He will ensure the players do not get carried away and/or complacent.

Doyle - It looks like his confidence isn't all there with regards to scoring goals, but is movement and intelligence are second-to-none. He carries out a lot of unseen work which goes unnoticed by some and unrewarded. All the praise goes to Sparky for netting the goals, but Doyle deserves a lot of praise too IMO and I am sure he will be a great partner to Sparky going forward.

LancashireHibby
17-09-2012, 01:48 PM
More and more impressed with McPake with each interview I see, certainly says the right things and leads on the park in the right manner.

I think Doyle is a player quite capable of becoming one of the first names on the teamsheet as well. His movement is superb at times and I'm sure the goals will come as his partnership with Sparky continues to develop. Must admit though that I thought his 'goal' was a mile offside at the time - would be interesting to see a replay with so many people thinking it was a harsh one?