PDA

View Full Version : NHC Simply wrong on all fronts or just a bit of banter? (Some Hibs Relevance)

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Thoughts!
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fans-call-for-end-to-sick-hillsborough-chants-as-group-of-man-utd-supporters-mock-liverpool-8142937.html

NAE NOOKIE
16-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Agree with SAF .... No place for that stuff in or out of a football ground .. time to put the Mercer stuff to bed folks.

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Agree with SAF .... No place for that stuff in or out of a football ground .. time to put the Mercer stuff to bed folks.

:agree:

JohnStephens91
16-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Singing about the dead is not banter, it is horrific and not funny in the slightest.

Part/Time Supporter
16-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Totally different situation.

How does the fact that Mercer is dead change anything? Anyway, it's not as if his family disagree with what he did. His widow told the EEN during their 20th anniversary reports that she thought he was right.

If Hibs fans were singing about an incident where some regular Jambos were injured or killed for doing nothing more than supporting or working for their team, then fair dos. But they aren't.

Singing about the dead is not banter, it is horrific and not funny in the slightest.

Simplistic nonsense. [Insert person who has done wrong here] might be dead. Doesn't change what they did during their lifetime.

Hillsborough victims were ordinary punters who went to a football match one day and didn't come home due to the outrageous incompetence of authorities. Then for extra jollies those same authorities instigated a massive cover-up.

Keith_M
16-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I realise that a lot of fans worry about making the atmosphere at games 'sterile', but there has to be an acceptance that there is a limit to what is acceptable banter. Revelling in the death of others is surely beyond any acceptable limit.

I think the Mercer song is the Hibs' equivelant. I don't care what that man did while alive, the only thing it does now is bring shame on the Hibs support in general. Time to call a halt.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2012, 03:58 PM
The Mercer songs just a bit pish but I don't see how its comparable to singing about Munich or Hillsborough.

Keith_M
16-09-2012, 04:01 PM
The Mercer songs just a bit pish but I don't see how its comparable to singing about Munich or Hillsborough.

My opinion, and I realise others have different views, is that it's irrelevant the number of people dead or the reasons, revelling in the death of others is abhorrent. As I stated previously, surely the only end result of this song is to bring shame on the good name of Hibs and its supporters.

lapsedhibee
16-09-2012, 04:05 PM
revelling in the death of others is abhorrent

Why?

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I realise that a lot of fans worry about making the atmosphere at games 'sterile', but there has to be an acceptance that there is a limit to what is acceptable banter. Revelling in the death of others is surely beyond any acceptable limit.

I think the Mercer song is the Hibs' equivelant. I don't care what that man did while alive, the only thing it does now is bring shame on the Hibs support in general. Time to call a halt.

I do care, but it is just perverse to keep revelling in it. Out of interest - does anyone know if the Barca fans still go on about Franco?

Pretty Boy
16-09-2012, 04:09 PM
My opinion, and I realise others have different views, is that it's irrelevant the number of people dead or the reasons, revelling in the death of others is abhorrent. As I stated previously, surely the only end result of this song is to bring shame on the good name of Hibs and its supporters.

Personally I don't sing the Mercer song and I do find it a bit cringeworthy.

I suppose my point was that the Mercer business is personal to Hibs fans who were around at the time, Hillsborough and Munich songs are revelling in the death of people for no reason other than they had an allegiance to another club.

As i say not defending the Mercer song as its not my cup of tea but I'm sure others will try and defend it more vigorously than me.

Tricla
16-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I won't hear a bad word spoken about that Hitler chap now he's dead.

--------
16-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Right. Nor his bosom buddie De Valera. :cb

greenginger
16-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I knew Wallace Mercer fairly well back in the 80's through the Edinburgh property business, even before he was involved with Hearts, and he was a real egotistical sod who loved any sort of publicity and I think he would be more than happy for us Hibbies still to be singing about him.
For him that would mean He mattered, he had made an impression.

For that reason alone we should drop the song.

Now if his football club were to die I'm sure the section 43 lyricists could revamp the ditty. :greengrin

Sylar
16-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I recall being at Ibrox with my future in laws last season and was pretty disgusted to hear the Aberdeen fans chanting about the Ibrox disaster. My blood also boiled when the Tims infamously chanted and booed a minute silence against Motherwell in memory of those who died in the September 11th attacks. They also used to chant and make gestures to Claudio Reyna which is just well and truly beyond the scope of "banter".

I totally despise Liverpool as a football club but find the chants about Hillsborough utterly tasteless. Same with the Liverpool fans who chant about Munich. Man Utd are another club I can't stand but I see no humour or banter in these chants.

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Seriously? Comparing AH with WM is just silly.

lucky
16-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Songs about Munich, Hillsborough, Ibrox and Bradford are unacceptable as its mocking disasters. The Mercer song is different as it point out a fact the he is dead. Whilst I'm not a fan of it, to me it's acceptable.

lord bunberry
16-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Is flower of Scotland horrific

Saorsa
16-09-2012, 05:10 PM
:singing:

Tell all the :jamboclow you know http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no, he's no longer here :bye: so lets have a :cheers: http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2012, 05:23 PM

I like the Corries version in the 60s, but more modern versions by the likes of Tommy Scott verge on kitsch.

H18sry
16-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I recall being at Ibrox with my future in laws last season and was pretty disgusted to hear the Aberdeen fans chanting about the Ibrox disaster. My blood also boiled when the Tims infamously chanted and booed a minute silence against Motherwell in memory of those who died in the September 11th attacks. They also used to chant and make gestures to Claudio Reyna which is just well and truly beyond the scope of "banter".

I totally despise Liverpool as a football club but find the chants about Hillsborough utterly tasteless. Same with the Liverpool fans who chant about Munich. Man Utd are another club I can't stand but I see no humour or banter in these chants.

Why do you despise a football club?

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 05:54 PM
I get it when people want to rejoice when Dictators like Hitler, Gadaffi, or Stalin bite the bullet. I get it when evil murderers like, Hindley, West or Sutcliffe are put in the ground and I even get it that families who've lost loved ones to murderers feel the need for revenge. These are all people who have committed crimes where there is an argument for wishing them dead.

But the outpouring of rejoice about the demise of a businessman who had a corrupt vision (failed by the way) of how football should be is IMO OTT. As a previous poster mentioned, the uproar from our side when they had a go at one of our players disability was quite rightly huge, but also hypocritical.

It's not always about respecting the dead when you keep your mouth shut, but also about respecting the feelings of his family.

Tricla
16-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Seriously? Comparing AH with WM is just silly.

LTYF! :greengrin

Saorsa
16-09-2012, 05:56 PM
I get it when people want to rejoice when Dictators like Hitler, Gadaffi, or Stalin bite the bullet. I get it when evil murderers like, Hindley, West or Sutcliffe are put in the ground and I even get it that families who've lost loved ones to murderers feel the need for revenge. These are all people who have committed crimes where there is an argument for wishing them dead.

But the outpouring of rejoice about the demise of a businessman who had a corrupt vision (failed by the way) of how football should be is IMO OTT. As a previous poster mentioned, the uproar from our side when they had a go at one of our players disability was quite rightly huge, but also hypocritical.

It's not always about respecting the dead when you keep your mouth shut, but also about respecting the feelings of his family.I couldnae give a toss about him or his family because neither he nor they gave a **** about what they did or were doing tae anybody else, **** them!

--------
16-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Oh yes - on so many different levels, it's horrific.

And banal.

And dreary. And cheesy, cheesy ersatz-Walter-Scott-tartan-hoochter-tchoochter-hoots-mon-ism.

And the Tartan Army can't sing it starting together, ending together, and staying in time together in between times.

A shambles!

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2012, 05:59 PM

It's not always about respecting the dead when you keep your mouth shut, but also about respecting the feelings of his family.

He tried to destroy us. He openly said he wanted us finished. I could never forgive him for that, and felt he was no loss to humanity. That said, humanity should not lower itself to the level of the likes of Lockhart Dawson, with his penchant for watching prostitutes urinating in plant pots.

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I couldnae give a toss about him or his family because neither he nor they gave a **** about what they did or were doing tae anybody else, **** them!

So in your opinion a just and fitting punishment for an aggressive business takeover is death and while we're at it the rest of his family as well?

JohnStephens91
16-09-2012, 06:16 PM

You know what I meant. Rejoicing following the death of someone is disgusting, of course there are exceptions ie Hitler, but to bask in the death of Wallace Mercer is not one of the exceptions. If Sauzee were to bite the bullet tomorrow and the Hearts fans started chanting about him being dead would that make you or any other Hibs fan angry? Of course it would, and it has been pointed out that when they sang about Dean Shiels having one eye we all got miffed off. It is time to stop singing the Mercer song as it is not, and never has been, Hibs class.

Sylar
16-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Why do you despise a football club?

Despise is maybe a wee bit strong I guess :agree:

Saorsa
16-09-2012, 06:22 PM
So in your opinion a just and fitting punishment for an aggressive business takeover is death and while we're at it the rest of his family as well?He's died, I couldnae give a ****, his family shared his vision and his greed so I couldnae give a **** about them or their feelings and they can GTF as well. That ******* tried tae kill my club, I hated his guts when he was alive and I still do and that'll no be changin' because of a few do gooders on here. I'll never forgive and I'll never forget.

:singing:Tell all the :jamboclow you know http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no, he's no longer here :bye: so lets have a :cheers: http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 06:23 PM
He tried to destroy us. He openly said he wanted us finished. I could never forgive him for that, and felt he was no loss to humanity. That said, humanity should not lower itself to the level of the likes of Lockhart Dawson, with his penchant for watching prostitutes urinating in plant pots.
Agreed FR, but I like to think I've got the decorum to keep these feelings to a few statements on a Hibs forum and not go dancing in the streets.

I'd also go as far as to say I'd do cartwheels down Lothian Rd when that lot go down the pan and Hibs are the last man standing. That in theory makes me the same as WM.

iwasthere1972
16-09-2012, 06:24 PM
It's only in bad taste if the opposition are singing it otherwise it's good old banter.

Seriously. Never sung it and never will. Time to move on and ditch it forever. I'm personally embarrassed when I hear it being sung but I know there are some out there who obviously love it and see nothing wrong in singing about the dead.

Northernhibee
16-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't like the Mercer song for the same reason I'll be gutted when Margaret Thatcher dies.

Not because I like her, but I want her to be alive when the Tory party, their views and their ideaology are proven wrong and they fall apart. I want her to see everything that she pushed through in her time proven to be utter ****, and I want her to know that.

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 06:29 PM
He's died, I couldnae give a ****, his family shared his vision and his greed so I couldnae give a **** about them or their feelings and they can GTF as well. That ******* tried tae kill my club, I hated his guts when he was alive and I still do and that'll no be changin' because of a few do gooders on here. I'll never forgive and I'll never forget.

:singing:Tell all the :jamboclow you know http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no, he's no longer here :bye: so lets have a :cheers: http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no

So much hate. It eats away at you you know.

Saorsa
16-09-2012, 06:56 PM
So much hate. It eats away at you you know.well you let me worry about that. :wink:

Kojock
16-09-2012, 07:16 PM
It's only in bad taste if the opposition are singing it otherwise it's good old banter.

Seriously. Never sung it and never will. Time to move on and ditch it forever. I'm personally embarrassed when I hear it being sung but I know there are some out there who obviously love it and see nothing wrong in singing about the dead.

Says the poster with a dead football teams strip as his avatar picture. :wink:

hibee_nation
16-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't like the Mercer song for the same reason I'll be gutted when Margaret Thatcher dies.

Not because I like her, but I want her to be alive when the Tory party, their views and their ideaology are proven wrong and they fall apart. I want her to see everything that she pushed through in her time proven to be utter ****, and I want her to know that.

Too late mate the old cow is too glaikit to realise what day it is now. :crazy:

hibee_nation
16-09-2012, 07:21 PM
So in your opinion a just and fitting punishment for an aggressive business takeover is death and while we're at it the rest of his family as well?

If he had succeeded his agressive takeover death would most surely have been a fitting punishment. :chop:

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Too late mate the old cow is too glaikit to realise what day it is now. :crazy:

So what's changed?

lapsedhibee
16-09-2012, 07:45 PM
If Sauzee were to bite the bullet tomorrow and the Hearts fans started chanting about him being dead would that make you or any other Hibs fan angry? Of course it would.

No, it really wouldn't. Why the ****** would I remotely care, never mind get angry about, what yams think/say/sing? These are people who sincerely believe that they are not in debt because they owe money to themselves. What comes out of their gobs is of no value - positive or negative - whatsoever, and if that's the most you've got in your life to get stressed about then you've got too easy a life! :wink:

VickMackie
17-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Agreed FR, but I like to think I've got the decorum to keep these feelings to a few statements on a Hibs forum and not go dancing in the streets.

I'd also go as far as to say I'd do cartwheels down Lothian Rd when that lot go down the pan and Hibs are the last man standing. That in theory makes me the same as WM.

It would only make you the same as WM if you had an active part in them closing down. I'm guessing that won't be the case.

Hibrandenburg
17-09-2012, 08:36 AM
It would only make you the same as WM if you had an active part in them closing down. I'm guessing that won't be the case.

Mores the pity!

adhibs
17-09-2012, 08:54 AM

got a second club? certainly sounds like it, an absolute **** one as well

Phil MaGlass
17-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I find it unacceptable, as much of an ar5e that he was, I dont think itīs acceptable.

Its not about respecting people, he doesnt deserve that, its about dignity, Hibs supporters/club dignity, we should be able to rise above this nonsense and find other songs to sing about, our club is in the middle of building for the future, why cant we as a support move on and build for the future? New songs, new positive attitudes and new outlook, (does not mean we forget the past) just stop living in it.
Maybe we could also dump those bloody paedo songs aswell, its just cringeworthy.

"ONWARDS AND UPWARDS"

Hermit Crab
17-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Try telling S43 that them, they are no strangers to the of mercer chant.

edinburghhibee
17-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Was sitting behind S43 on Saturday and to be fair a group started to sing the WM song and S43 along with several others began singing and drowned the group out.

If I'm honest I don't mind the WM song but I don't see the point in singing it anywhere else than against that mob and in the roseburn before the game.

Singing it against killie would have been pointless IMHO.

Shrekko
17-09-2012, 11:31 AM

Second? :greengrin

Sylar
17-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Excuse me? :confused:

rab1875
17-09-2012, 12:11 PM

:soapbox: Where would We all be without Your guidance!

Skanko79
17-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Thoughts!
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fans-call-for-end-to-sick-hillsborough-chants-as-group-of-man-utd-supporters-mock-liverpool-8142937.html

typical man united, seem to remember not to long ago when it was the anniversary of the munich air disaster and every man and their dug had to stand and take notice and respect the minutes silence/applause. if it was even spoken about at another ground then you were frowned apon.

Scouse Hibee
17-09-2012, 02:21 PM
There will always be sad pathetic people who sing about the dead, disrupt silences and take great delight in justifying why they do it.

lapsedhibee
17-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Thoughts!

A strange report, containing the 'information' that (a) songs were sung about Hillsborough and (b) no songs were sung about Hillsborough.

There will always be sad pathetic people who sing about the dead, disrupt silences and take great delight in justifying why they do it.

Serious question as I've never been to Anfield and have no idea - how many Liverpool fans take part in the Munich stuff? Is it genuinely a tiny minority, or is it a 'tiny minority' in the sense of Huns who sing sectarian songs - ie half the ground?

Scouse Hibee
17-09-2012, 02:55 PM
A strange report, containing the 'information' that (a) songs were sung about Hillsborough and (b) no songs were sung about Hillsborough.

Serious question as I've never been to Anfield and have no idea - how many Liverpool fans take part in the Munich stuff? Is it genuinely a tiny minority, or is it a 'tiny minority' in the sense of Huns who sing sectarian songs - ie half the ground?

It's genuinely a small minority and and nothing like the days I remember in the early eighties when the majority of the kop sang it. There will always be idiots singing it tit for tat as an excuse.

Twa Cairpets
17-09-2012, 02:56 PM
He's died, I couldnae give a ****, his family shared his vision and his greed so I couldnae give a **** about them or their feelings and they can GTF as well. That ******* tried tae kill my club, I hated his guts when he was alive and I still do and that'll no be changin' because of a few do gooders on here. I'll never forgive and I'll never forget.

So the fact you hate him makes it ok for you, a forty year old adult, to stand and sing (presumably with a big chessy smile about how its so funny) bovinely stupid and inane songs rejoicing in his death?

Fair game to have a pop when he was alive by way of protest. Now he's dead it just makes us look pathetic s**mbags, especially when its sung by silly wee laddies who weren't born when the whole thing happened.

Do-gooders? Give us a f****** break. Your rights to sing what you want as a football should be subservient to your desire to behave like a human being. The man was an arse, and I loathed him for what he tried to do, but he failed, and its over. Get over it.

LeighLoyal
17-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Mercer was an ego out of control, but just as well for us he didn't have as many friends 'lodged' in the bank as Sir Moonbeams.

regards the Liv/Man U stuff, very poor taste. But we hear far worse in Third Division grounds up here. Annan fans on the Pie and Bovril site were appalled by Sevco chants. Sevco 'support' told to shut it at half time by announcer. No doubt appalled by their sh itey fitba as well.

adhibs
17-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Excuse me? :confused:

just seems a bit strange. dont get why anyonme would want to attend ibrox in the first place and then be offended by the away support haha. the couple examples of celtic fans afterwards just made a soft spot for the huns shine through

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Didn't have any time for Wallace Mercer at all. Found it quite worrying that one of the ways that he summed up all the heartache that he caused, as " tremendous fun". To me, that is a serious character flaw. But, what tarnishes his vision and memory the most, is not that Hibs fans are still singing about him, years after his death, but more that a fair number of Hearts fans didn't like his vision any more than we did. Any football chairman that calls his team's supporters " customers", isn't a football person.

Skanko79
17-09-2012, 03:51 PM

i was at the game between man u and man city at old trafford on the day of the anniversary of the munich air disaster. i was in the city end and i heard man united "fans" siinging about marc vivien foe.disgusting really as the build up to it was all about the city fans respecting the dead and not singing the songs.

there are a group of guys called cool as duck they are a bunch of city fans who have gone to the trouble of hiring out a studio to record a number of songs about the munich air disaster and the like, dont get me wrong, their song about wayne rooney is rather amusing (not connected to munich air disaster). as far as im aware they still have a myspace page where you can listen. the liverpool recording on youtube about the munich air disaster is also the same recording.

Saorsa
17-09-2012, 03:54 PM
So the fact you hate him makes it ok for you, a forty year old adult, to stand and sing (presumably with a big chessy smile about how its so funny) bovinely stupid and inane songs rejoicing in his death?

Fair game to have a pop when he was alive by way of protest. Now he's dead it just makes us look pathetic s**mbags, especially when its sung by silly wee laddies who weren't born when the whole thing happened.

Do-gooders? Give us a f****** break. Your rights to sing what you want as a football should be subservient to your desire to behave like a human being. The man was an arse, and I loathed him for what he tried to do, but he failed, and its over. Get over it.sorry I dinnae dae chessy smiles, nor am I a football.

Sylar
17-09-2012, 04:09 PM
just seems a bit strange. dont get why anyonme would want to attend ibrox in the first place and then be offended by the away support haha. the couple examples of celtic fans afterwards just made a soft spot for the huns shine through

Why does it seem strange?

I've been to nearly every ground in Scotland over the past 5 years in an effort to see all the professional teams and experience their grounds. It's a personal opinion, but I'm a football fan and I quite enjoy diversity, rather than watching the same thing and listening to the same moans week in, week out.

It just so happens that when we visited Ibrox, it was Aberdeen who they were playing and the chants about the Ibrox disaster are abhorrent.

Also, without laying out the background story, I find the Tims disrupting the minute's silence for the 9/11 memorial vs Motherwell and then using the same disaster as "banter", aiming taunts at an American player in the first OF game after it happened, absolutely loathsome. Given their regular chants in support of the IRA, it shouldn't come as a surprise but much in the same way that I find their regular desire to disrupt Remembrance Day tributes in protest at the British Army, I find it very hard to swallow indeed.

I sincerely doubt (hope) that many on here would disagree, so maybe we're all huns :rolleyes:

Twa Cairpets
17-09-2012, 04:31 PM
sorry I dinnae dae chessy smiles, nor am I a football.

Couldnt comment on the former but have my doubts about the latter. You certainly appear to have the same level of capacity for sensible thought on this topic.

Apologies for the missing word, doesnt change my point.

Saorsa
17-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Couldnt comment on the former but have my doubts about the latter. You certainly appear to have the same level of capacity for sensible thought on this topic.

Apologies for the missing word, doesnt change my point.You dinnae like my opinion on the Mercer song, tough, you can lump it. You dinnae like my posts, use the ignore function, other than that, away 'n' bile yer heid.

Baldy Foghorn
17-09-2012, 04:38 PM

I've been to nearly every ground in Scotland over the past 5 years in an effort to see all the professional teams and experience their grounds. It's a personal opinion, but I'm a football fan and I quite enjoy diversity, rather than watching the same thing and listening to the same moans week in, week out.

It just so happens that when we visited Ibrox, it was Aberdeen who they were playing and the chants about the Ibrox disaster are abhorrent.

Also, without laying out the background story, I find the Tims disrupting the minute's silence for the 9/11 memorial vs Motherwell and then using the same disaster as "banter", aiming taunts at an American player in the first OF game after it happened, absolutely loathsome. Given their regular chants in support of the IRA, it shouldn't come as a surprise but much in the same way that I find their regular desire to disrupt Remembrance Day tributes in protest at the British Army, I find it very hard to swallow indeed.

I sincerely doubt (hope) that many on here would disagree, so maybe we're all huns :rolleyes:

You are right the Aberdeen chants were indeed sick, but lets be honest here, the amount of bile that spouts forth from Rangers fans is equally as sick....You mention the IRA chants by Celtic, but ignore the UDA/UVF nonsense that is sung by the other lot....

Both sides of the old firm are equally as vile, but you can't mention one without the other IMO.......

SRHibs
17-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Why?

Because it's unnecessarily insensitive? The only thing to be gained from repeatedly singing these songs is hurt in the direction of his family and friends. Just let him rest in peace. Reveling in the death of almost anyone strikes me as pretty ****ing abhorrent. You'd think the guy was a mass child rapist the way people go on about him on here.

Sylar
17-09-2012, 05:51 PM
You are right the Aberdeen chants were indeed sick, but lets be honest here, the amount of bile that spouts forth from Rangers fans is equally as sick....You mention the IRA chants by Celtic, but ignore the UDA/UVF nonsense that is sung by the other lot....

Both sides of the old firm are equally as vile, but you can't mention one without the other IMO.......

Completely incidental to the point being discussed IMO.

I've no arguments that the songs they sing are downright vile. I've no arguments that they equally sing in support of the UDA/UVF.

The point of this thread isn't a "Rangers vs Celtic - Who's Fans Are Worse" debate. My argument is that, in relation to the topic content, I've experienced far more disgusting chants from Aberdeen and Celtic in relation to disasters and mass killings.

I've listened to the Rangers fans chant some pretty vile stuff but in relation to such content, I can't recall anything comparable.

Skanko79
17-09-2012, 06:06 PM

I've no arguments that the songs they sing are downright vile. I've no arguments that they equally sing in support of the UDA/UVF.

The point of this thread isn't a "Rangers vs Celtic - Who's Fans Are Worse" debate. My argument is that, in relation to the topic content, I've experienced far more disgusting chants from Aberdeen and Celtic in relation to disasters and mass killings.

I've listened to the Rangers fans chant some pretty vile stuff but in relation to such content, I can't recall anything comparable.

happens with every club. ive heard hibs fans singing a song about the ibrox park disaster.

but the problem i think is far worse down south.

Baldy Foghorn
17-09-2012, 06:26 PM

Fair Do's TSSF..............

Twa Cairpets
17-09-2012, 07:16 PM
You dinnae like my opinion on the Mercer song, tough, you can lump it. You dinnae like my posts, use the ignore function, other than that, away 'n' bile yer heid.

Great post. Every bit as mature and considered as your view on the Mercer song.

Sylar
17-09-2012, 07:43 PM
In a somewhat related note, I thought the tribute by Everton tonight before the Newcastle game was absolutely top class :agree:

essexhibee
17-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Stunning tribute by Everton tonight. :agree:

HH81
17-09-2012, 07:53 PM

What did they do was working till 8?

WarringtonHibee
17-09-2012, 08:06 PM
What did they do was working till 8?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xto83v_everton-tribute-to-the-96

Class. :aok:

HH81
17-09-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xto83v_everton-tribute-to-the-96

Class. :aok:

Cheers fantastic to see.

Holmesdale Hibs
17-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd rather we just sung Hibs songs but the Mercer song doesn't bother me. Way I see it is that of I tried to destroy Hearts then it would be fair enough for there supporters sing a few songs about me.

The Hillsborough stuff is completely different. Anyone who feels the need to sing songs about that, or any other disaster or tragedy, needs help IMO.

Big Frank
17-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Great post. Every bit as mature and considered as your view on the Mercer song.

It doesnt bother me in the slightest.

He's deid, but we're no.

DD is right, we hated him at the time, he tried to kill our club, and very nearly did that doesnae change one iota in the minds of thousands of hibbys now that he's no here.

I personally dont sing it, but I dont get into a state about those who do (no' sayin you do cairpets:greengrin)

Saorsa
17-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Great post. Every bit as mature and considered as your view on the Mercer song.Aye, whatever.

Twa Cairpets
17-09-2012, 09:01 PM
It doesnt bother me in the slightest.

He's deid, but we're no.

DD is right, we hated him at the time, he tried to kill our club, and very nearly did that doesnae change one iota in the minds of thousands of hibbys now that he's no here.

I personally dont sing it, but I dont get into a state about those who do (no' sayin you do cairpets:greengrin)

I found Wallace mercer an odious creature. Whenever I see his face it unfailingly reminds me a of a particularly unpleasant, slimy toad. I shed no tears at his death, but it certainly didn't make me happy. Why would the death of a man who wasn't, for example, a mass murderer or rapist or genocidal maniac give me pleasure? He did try to destroy Hibs, and for that he deserves infamy, but it's not a reason to rejoice at his death.

I don't get in a "state" about it - life's too short to waste on moral outrage on behalf of Wallace Mercer - but the singing of it it is classless fuddery, and defence of it by those such as DD is, frankly, pathetic.

frazeHFC
17-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Was sitting behind S43 on Saturday and to be fair a group started to sing the WM song and S43 along with several others began singing and drowned the group out.

If I'm honest I don't mind the WM song but I don't see the point in singing it anywhere else than against that mob and in the roseburn before the game.

Singing it against killie would have been pointless IMHO.

I was on the very left of where the S43 members were, and it was people further to my left that were singing it. I turned to them and told them it's best not to sing it, other S43 members looked at them in disgust, and then songs were started to drown it out.

No Sect43 member even considered singing it on Saturday and i say that hand on heart.

HH81
17-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know if its out on cd?

Scouse Hibee
17-09-2012, 10:04 PM

:agree: Superb great to see, nothing but admiration for Everton FC and their fans for the way they have always dealt with anything to do with Hillsborough. Merseyside united is a joy to see.

Big Frank
17-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I found Wallace mercer an odious creature. Whenever I see his face it unfailingly reminds me a of a particularly unpleasant, slimy toad. I shed no tears at his death, but it certainly didn't make me happy. Why would the death of a man who wasn't, for example, a mass murderer or rapist or genocidal maniac give me pleasure? He did try to destroy Hibs, and for that he deserves infamy, but it's not a reason to rejoice at his death.

I don't get in a "state" about it - life's too short to waste on moral outrage on behalf of Wallace Mercer - but the singing of it it is classless fuddery, and defence of it by those such as DD is, frankly, pathetic.

Yes, you dont get in a "state" about it, (as I mentioned in my post:aok:)

.. but enough of a "state" to get into a wee ding dong wi DD about it :wink:

Twa Cairpets
17-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes, you dont get in a "state" about it, (as I mentioned in my post:aok:)

.. but enough of a "state" to get into a wee ding dong wi DD about it :wink:

Not so much the song itself, but the manner of the defence of it being sung. That did irritate because I thought it moronic.

basehibby
17-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Because it's unnecessarily insensitive? The only thing to be gained from repeatedly singing these songs is hurt in the direction of his family and friends. Just let him rest in peace. Reveling in the death of almost anyone strikes me as pretty ****ing abhorrent. You'd think the guy was a mass child rapist the way people go on about him on here.

He tried to kill our football club FFS - which if not in the same league as a mass child rapist (I'll give you that;) is still pretty high up on my own personal lynching richter scale anyway!

He didn't succeed I know and I'm not a big fan of the Mercer song TBH, but considering his personal contribution to the history of Hibernian FC, I don't consider it to be anything like in the same league of tastelessness as songs about the Ibrox or Hillsbourough disasters for example.

I know it doesn't paint us as paragons of virtuosity but lets keep it in proportion eh? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-09-2012, 11:10 PM
happens with every club. ive heard hibs fans singing a song about the ibrox park disaster.

When and where Skanko?

Saorsa
18-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Not so much the song itself, but the manner of the defence of it being sung. That did irritate because I thought it moronic.And I think you're a sanctimonious bore and that irritates me but that's life eh! As I said earlier please feel free tae use the ignore function (as I am about tae) for people that irritate or bore you, Cheerio now.

Twa Cairpets
18-09-2012, 07:52 AM
And I think you're a sanctimonious bore and that irritates me but that's life eh! As I said earlier please feel free tae use the ignore function (as I am about tae) for people that irritate or bore you, Cheerio now.

I didn't say you were a moron, just that your defence of the song was moronic, but feel free to personalise it if you want. If being a sanctimonious bore means having a bit of decency, fine, then that's me. Preferable in my eyes to being a loudmouth buffoon.

Sylar
18-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I didn't say you were a moron, just that your defence of the song was moronic, but feel free to personalise it if you want. If being a sanctimonious bore means having a bit of decency, fine, then that's me. Preferable in my eyes to being a loudmouth buffoon.

So we're quickly establishing the criteria for having a level of decency on this thread.

You either need to be a sanctimonious bore or a hun. I think you got the better end of the stick TC :wink:

Bill Milne
18-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I think those who believe this song is acceptable now have to accept that it comes under the general heading of "hate crime" and could be actionable by Plod. Bear in mind that, although the FTB id dead, his family is very much alive and could, reasonably, be said to be offended. The Hertz homophobic song would, obviously, also come under the same heading. Before anyone has a go at me, I can assure that the attempted heist of Hibs was one of the most traumatic events of my life, only exceeded by my dad's death in 1993.

lapsedhibee
18-09-2012, 12:23 PM
I think those who believe this song is acceptable now have to accept that it comes under the general heading of "hate crime" and could be actionable by Plod.

Can't work out whether you're being serious. Are you? :dunno:

Moulin Yarns
18-09-2012, 12:52 PM
In tribute to the 96

The Cathedral bell tolled, could never tell;
nor the Liver Birds, mute in their stone spell;
or the Mersey, though seagulls wailed, cursed, overhead,
in no language for the slandered dead...
not the raw, red throat of the Kop, keening,
or the cops' words, censored of meaning;
not the clock, slow handclapping the coroner's deadline,
or the memo to Thatcher, or the tabloid headline...
but fathers told of their daughters; the names of sons
on the lips of their mothers like prayers; lost ones
honoured for bitter years by orphan, cousin, wife -
not a matter of football, but of life.
Over this great city, light after long dark;
truth, the sweet silver song of the lark.

Thanks to CarolAnn Duffy.

Phil D. Rolls
18-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Anybody that thinks it is good banter needs to mock the dead, needs to think about the living.

The story of Tony Bland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bland) would make most grown men weep.

If you think things like that are funny, then you have major problems.

Hibrandenburg
18-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Anybody that thinks it is good banter needs to mock the dead, needs to think about the living.

The story of Tony Bland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bland) would make most grown men weep.

10/10

Hibercelona
18-09-2012, 01:49 PM
:singing:

Tell all the :jamboclow you know http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no, he's no longer here :bye: so lets have a :cheers: http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/27527_10150172587805385_9802_q.jpg is http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/dead.gif and :scarf: no

You're putting your own selfish anger over the pride and reputation of the football club.

It's a shame that we have fans like you who would be happy enough to hurt Hibs if it meant getting to Hearts fans.

Fortunately, I would say the majority of fans put the pride and reputation of the club above all else.

Scouse Hibee
18-09-2012, 01:51 PM

:agree: Not afraid to admit that I well up every time I watch coverage or a documemtary of that fateful day in 89, too many bad memories. Heaven knows how folk who actually lost relatives cope.

Saorsa
18-09-2012, 03:30 PM
You're putting your own selfish anger over the pride and reputation of the football club.

It's a shame that we have fans like you who would be happy enough to hurt Hibs if it meant getting to Hearts fans.

Fortunately, I would say the majority of fans put the pride and reputation of the club above all else.I've debated the point with folk who were around at the time who experienced the emotion and anger of the time, they have their opinion, I have mine. You on the other hand werenae there and you have nae idea so what I'll no be doing is wasting my time on debating the point with or taking lectures fae wee laddies who werenae even a twinkle in their daddy's eye at the time so away bile yer heid son. There were plenty of people at the last derby who were happy tae sing the song and there'll be plenty of people singing it for a long time tae come.

Phil D. Rolls
18-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I've debated the point with folk who were around at the time who experienced the emotion and anger of the time, they have their opinion, I have mine. You on the other hand werenae there and you have nae idea so what I'll no be doing is wasting my time on debating the point with or taking lectures fae wee laddies who werenae even a twinkle in their daddy's eye at the time so away bile yer heid son. There were plenty of people at the last derby who were happy tae sing the song and there'll be plenty of people singing it for a long time tae come.

Take it everyone that sung along at the derby was old enough to know what was going on in 1990 too? :dunno:

WeeRussell
18-09-2012, 05:29 PM
How many people have to have died before it stops being a celebratory matter out of interest?

Have to say I am firmly in the 'singing about the death of someone like that is wrong camp' - regardless of how old you are or what 'he has done'

Not trying to lecture anyone - I have friends that have no issue joining in or even starting these songs but have never got involved myself.

If it was today, and Wallace Mercer was attempting to takeover our club etc etc and he was diagnosed with cancer - would you wish death upon him and jump around celebrating the fact his death was near? As far as I am aware he has never been convicted of anything, nevermind something to deserve having his death partied over? I'm assuming he has family still around Edinburgh who aren't evil also?

Yes I'd have been angry at the time with what was going on and the way he was conducting his business (Yes business.. not murder/rape/genocide) but I cannot for the life of me understand people genuinely looking back and being grateful he has died :confused:

And for those that just do it for the banter and to wind up Jambos - I really don't think they give a f***.

My opinion only of course - but really think we should drop the songs. :flag:

HH81
18-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Fortunately, I would say the majority of fans put the pride and reputation of the club above all else.

In what way does that song hurt hibs?

WeeRussell
18-09-2012, 05:38 PM
In what way does that song hurt hibs?

Looks bad on the club - in a similar way that Rangers singing about killing catholics makes them look like mugs :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
18-09-2012, 05:43 PM
How many people have to have died before it stops being a celebratory matter out of interest?

Have to say I am firmly in the 'singing about the death of someone like that is wrong camp' - regardless of how old you are or what 'he has done'

Not trying to lecture anyone - I have friends that have no issue joining in or even starting these songs but have never got involved myself.

If it was today, and Wallace Mercer was attempting to takeover our club etc etc and he was diagnosed with cancer - would you wish death upon him and jump around celebrating the fact his death was near? As far as I am aware he has never been convicted of anything, nevermind something to deserve having his death partied over? I'm assuming he has family still around Edinburgh who aren't evil also?

Yes I'd have been angry at the time with what was going on and the way he was conducting his business (Yes business.. not murder/rape/genocide) but I cannot for the life of me understand people genuinely looking back and being grateful he has died :confused:

And for those that just do it for the banter and to wind up Jambos - I really don't think they give a f***.

My opinion only of course - but really think we should drop the songs. :flag:

I have to say at the time, I would have happily seen him dead. Now he has gone, I see him as no great loss to humanity. He screwed over a lot of people (his big joke was that he and his Mrs had number plates XX1 and XX2 - the double cross twice). IMO such people don't deserve much sympathy.

When he died I couldn't blame people for wanting to celebrate it. I don't know what a reasonable time span is for keeping the thing going. I can only say that, personally, it's starting to sound a bit sick. It seems to bring out the flaws in the singers rather than in Mercer.

People have a right to sing it. Other people have the right to be ashamed by those people singing. I'd never say that the police or others should be involved. I think I have a responsibility to dissent to what I believe to be wrong though.

If that song is a good laugh for people, I feel sorry for them. Not only is it tasteless, it just isn't a good song.

Now if they were to put "and he's a b!stard" on the end, it would scan so much better, and probably appeal more to the demographic the originators of the song were aiming at.

I mean we're hardly expecting Neil Young or Bob Dylan quality lyrics, but I'd have thought they could at least match the likes of Jones/Cook/Briggs efforts for the Pistols.

Hibrandenburg
18-09-2012, 05:47 PM
If Freud was still alive and reading this I think he'd come to the conclusion that some of you weren't getting any :slipper:

Phil D. Rolls
18-09-2012, 05:58 PM
If Freud was still alive and reading this I think he'd come to the conclusion that some of you weren't getting any :slipper:

Freud had a problem
Nothing to do with our team
His wife didn't like him
So he blamed it on her dreams

(and he's a ********)!!!

Hibercelona
18-09-2012, 05:59 PM
I've debated the point with folk who were around at the time who experienced the emotion and anger of the time, they have their opinion, I have mine. You on the other hand werenae there and you have nae idea so what I'll no be doing is wasting my time on debating the point with or taking lectures fae wee laddies who werenae even a twinkle in their daddy's eye at the time so away bile yer heid son. There were plenty of people at the last derby who were happy tae sing the song and there'll be plenty of people singing it for a long time tae come.

Why would I bile my head? I'm not doing anything to make the club look bad.

It's men in their 40's who sing a song that glorifies the death of someone who should be hiding their faces.

Phil D. Rolls
18-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I remember reading an article in which Mercer mentioned the plate as being twenty one. It was the interviewer who said it could also read double cross one and may not be such a good idea for a businessman.

Fair enough - now that you mention it, I don't remember Mercer actually saying it. I may have got it from the same article as you read. The cap does fit though.

Apocalypso
18-09-2012, 06:23 PM
What's shouted at a football match has no mirror with real life, but singing about dead people is so low (unless it's Mercer). :cb

Green_one
18-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Freud had a problem - just one ?
Nothing to do with our team - what about the metal Hibees?
His wife didn't like him - having sex with your Sister in Law will tend to do that to a marriage.
So he blamed it on her dreams - pretty smart, might use it myself.

(and he's a ********)!!! - I cannot contradict this

You cannot say that bad stuff now he is dead :wink:

Singing about WM being compared to singing about Hillsborough :confused::rolleyes::dummytit::bitchy::doh: - Dr Freud please.

hibee_nation
18-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I predict at the end of all this soul searching and deep insight into our fellow mans psyche, the Roseburn will still be bouncing singing the Mercer song at the New Years derby. Quite right too. :party::drunk::cheers::partyhibb:singing:

bighairyfaeleith
18-09-2012, 07:07 PM
**** wallace mercer. He showed us no sympathy!!

Johnny Clash
18-09-2012, 07:26 PM
'Wallet Mercer' was a cold bloodied asset stripper who tried to destroy Hibs. He wasn't doing this out of any football loyalties - he was simply a greedy little man and happy to make a profit out of our misery.
He also idolised Thatcher - another evil low life in my opinion.

But despite that I still think it sucks to sing songs about him being dead. It's not bright and makes us look small

HH81
18-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Looks bad on the club - in a similar way that Rangers singing about killing catholics makes them look like mugs :agree:

If the club thought this would they not release a statement urging fans not to sing it?

I would like to guess half the people who moan about the song have a couple of beers before the derby, get all worked up for the game and sing it anyway :-)

WeeRussell
18-09-2012, 07:39 PM
If the club thought this would they not release a statement urging fans not to sing it?

I would like to guess half the people who moan about the song have a couple of beers before the derby, get all worked up for the game and sing it anyway :-)

Maybe, maybe not - maybe the club is mixed with people who think different things, much like this forum.

Rangers took many years (and much pushing) before they made any sort of move on their problems :wink:

(Just to clarify - I am not trying to say a few fans singing about Wallace Mercer is in the same league as any of the old firm carry-on.. only an example of how fans can damage the image of a club)

silverhibee
18-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I have to say at the time, I would have happily seen him dead. Now he has gone, I see him as no great loss to humanity. He screwed over a lot of people (his big joke was that he and his Mrs had number plates XX1 and XX2 - the double cross twice). IMO such people don't deserve much sympathy.

When he died I couldn't blame people for wanting to celebrate it. I don't know what a reasonable time span is for keeping the thing going. I can only say that, personally, it's starting to sound a bit sick. It seems to bring out the flaws in the singers rather than in Mercer.

People have a right to sing it. Other people have the right to be ashamed by those people singing. I'd never say that the police or others should be involved. I think I have a responsibility to dissent to what I believe to be wrong though.

If that song is a good laugh for people, I feel sorry for them. Not only is it tasteless, it just isn't a good song.

Now if they were to put "and he's a b!stard" on the end, it would scan so much better, and probably appeal more to the demographic the originators of the song were aiming at.

I mean we're hardly expecting Neil Young or Bob Dylan quality lyrics, but I'd have thought they could at least match the likes of Jones/Cook/Briggs efforts for the Pistols.

He's deid sounds better.

Hibs On Tour
18-09-2012, 09:19 PM
So many high horses tethered up in this thread that its like a frickin' wild west town in here! Some of you need to give yourselves a right old shake and stop being such a bunch of sanctimonious frickin' erkie-holes!

Wallce Mercer was an erse who tried to *KILL* our club. The fact that now that he's deid that a sizeable portion of our support take pleasure in winding up the other side of the city up about that is entirely natural therefore. If you don't wanna, don't partake but gies peace with all this pish looking down your noses at those of us who do as if you're somehow 'a better person' because of it.

Fact is that if it hadn't have been the week that the report about Hillsborough was released, none of you would have tried to make the frankly ridiculous comparison between that and the song about WM.

And if that, or the song, offends you I suggest you climb back on your high horse and ride back out of town :cb

GGTTH

Hibrandenburg
19-09-2012, 05:28 AM
So many high horses tethered up in this thread that its like a frickin' wild west town in here! Some of you need to give yourselves a right old shake and stop being such a bunch of sanctimonious frickin' erkie-holes!

Wallce Mercer was an erse who tried to *KILL* our club. The fact that now that he's deid that a sizeable portion of our support take pleasure in winding up the other side of the city up about that is entirely natural therefore. If you don't wanna, don't partake but gies peace with all this pish looking down your noses at those of us who do as if you're somehow 'a better person' because of it.

Fact is that if it hadn't have been the week that the report about Hillsborough was released, none of you would have tried to make the frankly ridiculous comparison between that and the song about WM.

And if that, or the song, offends you I suggest you climb back on your high horse and ride back out of town :cb

GGTTH

Bull****, with or without what happened in Hillsborough that song is odious. Singing party songs about the dead has to be one of the most cowardly acts anyone can carry out. The dead can't defend themselves and the only people who can take REAL offence are the family he left behind. What about his grand kids who probably weren't even alive when it was all kicking off. But as someone so eloquently put it earlier on in this thread "I dinnae gie a **** about them".

It's all about respect but what has become apparent from up here on my high horse is that some folks on here have no ****ing clue what the word means.

marinello59
19-09-2012, 07:05 AM

GGTTH

Is there any need for the utter contempt you show for those who disagree with you? Surely we can at least respect people having differing views from our own? Telling people who don't like the song to stay away doesn't seem like the answer to me.
I don't particularly like the song but I can see why others feel differently. To be honest I think it winds up more Hibs fans than Yams. They'll just see it as further confirmation of their definition of what consitutes Hibs class. As Hiberlin said the only people who will be truly offended are his surviving family members.

lapsedhibee
19-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Bull****, with or without what happened in Hillsborough that song is odious. Singing party songs about the dead has to be one of the most cowardly acts anyone can carry out. The dead can't defend themselves and the only people who can take REAL offence are the family he left behind. What about his grand kids who probably weren't even alive when it was all kicking off. But as someone so eloquently put it earlier on in this thread "I dinnae gie a **** about them".

It's all about respect but what has become apparent from up here on my high horse is that some folks on here have no ****ing clue what the word means.

What about his grandkids? :confused:

And what about their as-yet-unborn children?

Extend this far enough and you'll be arguing a chant shouldn't be chanted in case a butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil takes offence.

Saorsa
19-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Is there any need for the utter contempt you show for those who disagree with you? Surely we can at least respect people having differing views from our own? Telling people who don't like the song to stay away doesn't seem like the answer to me.
I don't particularly like the song but I can see why others feel differently. To be honest I think it winds up more Hibs fans than Yams. They'll just see it as further confirmation of their definition of what consitutes Hibs class. As Hiberlin said the only people who will be truly offended are his surviving family members.I see, you mean in the same way other people's differing views on this thread have been respected by him and others because they are disagreed with? I dinnae really give one for what anybody thinks of my views and with that, that's my last word on this.

until the next thread.

marinello59
19-09-2012, 07:35 AM
I see, you mean in the same way other people's differing views on this thread have been respected by him and others because they are disagreed with? I dinnae really give one for what anybody thinks of my views and with that, that's my last word on this.

until the next thread.

I totally agree.
This will be your final word on this until the next thread. :greengrin

greenginger
19-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Not supporting the singing of the Mercer Song but its a bit strange that the perceived offence is the song is about someone who is now dead.

Everyone dies, and are all our National Anthems, Flower of Scotland, Scots Wae Hae, etc include themes about killing people, the English in particular.

Lets just save our celebrations for his Club dying.

Bill Milne
19-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Can't work out whether you're being serious. Are you? :dunno:

Are you serious? Haven't you been keeping up with changes in the law or what? Do you really believe that you can sing anything you like without repurcussions?

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2012, 08:23 AM

GGTTH

Keep telling yourself that pal.

When your in the middle of a group, it seems like a lot of people. Sometimes when you're on the outside you can see that it's a small group.

There's worlds within worlds. Now where's my saddle bag, ah'm a gonna mosey out of this here town before it a reaches high noon. Yup!

Skanko79
19-09-2012, 08:43 AM
When and where Skanko?

on many an occasion both at ibrox and easter road, allbeit at least 5/6 years ago.

lapsedhibee
19-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Are you serious? Haven't you been keeping up with changes in the law or what? Do you really believe that you can sing anything you like without repurcussions?

No, I haven't been keeping up with changes in the law. I know you're not allowed to offend LGBT groups, ethnic groups, disabled groups, and I'm sure some others. Are you telling me now that you're not allowed to offend the families and friends of dead people, and that this is on the statutes as a 'hate crime'? I'm not wholly surprised if that's the case, I just didn't know.

What offends me the most is when football crowds at Aberdeen FC matches use 'sheep****gers' as a derogatory term. This is clearly offensive to, or possibly even violates the human rights of, people who actually have sex with sheep - and by extension, other animals. Surely the feelings of zoophiles should have at least as much protection under the law as the feelings of dead people?

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Not supporting the singing of the Mercer Song but its a bit strange that the perceived offence is the song is about someone who is now dead.

Everyone dies, and are all our National Anthems, Flower of Scotland, Scots Wae Hae, etc include themes about killing people, the English in particular.

Lets just save our celebrations for his Club dying.

Yeah, bit surely our national anthem is about defending principles, rather than gloating in the death of others?

(Sorry for calling you Shirley).

silverhibee
19-09-2012, 11:06 AM
on many an occasion both at ibrox and easter road, allbeit at least 5/6 years ago.

Pish.

Steve-O
19-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Pish.

Agreed, and I have been to Ibrox for many Hibs games as well. Never heard anything remotely like a song about the Ibrox Disaster.

Skanko79
19-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Pish.

what just cos you say it is?? and why would i come out with "pish" like that just for the sake of it?

call it pish all you want, if a set of supporters can openly sing about the death of wallace mercer then im pretty sure some of our "fans" are more than capable of singing the song im talking about. and i have heard it on a few occasions.

time to take of your green tinted specs for a few minutes and actually realise that its not pish.

Golden Bear
19-09-2012, 11:34 AM
what just cos you say it is?? and why would i come out with "pish" like that just for the sake of it?

call it pish all you want, if a set of supporters can openly sing about the death of wallace mercer then im pretty sure some of our "fans" are more than capable of singing the song im talking about. and i have heard it on a few occasions.

time to take of your green tinted specs for a few minutes and actually realise that its not pish.

Aberdeen fans have been accused of singing such a song but I can honestly say that I've never heard our support even mentioning it and I would hope that I never will.

cabbageandribs1875
19-09-2012, 11:36 AM

can you give further details ? what were the circumstances etc ? was it two drunks in a pub bog that just happened to be hibs fans ? if you're saying it was at a game...p@sh :aok:

Sylar
19-09-2012, 11:38 AM

:kettle:

Where I don't agree with, nor would ever sing the Wallace Mercer song, there is a connection to the club and the anger which his attempted actions generated seems to have remained. Ergo, I suppose I can understand why people of a certain mentality within the support will sing it. It's "relevant" in their minds (for lack of a better word).

However, to suggest that the same people are then incapable of divorcing that from a disaster like Ibrox, Heysel, Bradford or Hillsborough is a leap too far for me.

I don't like to hear the Mercer song and I can't understand where anyone would go to in their mind where celebrating the death of someone is acceptable but to use it interchangably as a comparable example with something like a song about a disaster is a bit left field and based on absolutely nothing.

On a site such as this where there are so many Hibs fans (many whom go to games both home and away and have done for decades) and only one person has suggested such a song has been sung? Considering some of the morons who follow/have followed Hibs over the years, it probably wouldn't surprise me if there was a proper **** element who would use such material to goad Rangers fans but having been to Ibrox a few times with Hibs and also at games at ER over the past 5 or 6 years, it's not something I've ever heard.

19-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Any chants making fun of such terrible tragedies such as Munich or Hillsborough where many innocent people (including children) lost their lives is sickening. Im all for banter and winding up opposition fans, thats what football is all about, but stuff like this well over steps the mark.

As for the Mercer chants, I think its time we put these to bed for good, especially when they are being sung in games that don't even involve hearts. Don't get me wrong, I hate Mercer for what he did (or tried to do!) and for everything he put our club and our fans through. Ill never forgive him for trying to kill off Hibernian but the guy is dead now, he has been for like 6 years or something now. Lets sing songs that focus on hibs and songs that will actually lift our players. I mean what do think will inspire and lift our players more, a song about a dead man? or songs about our players/our club/our achievements etc?

Skanko79
19-09-2012, 11:42 AM
can you give further details ? what were the circumstances etc ? was it two drunks in a pub bog that just happened to be hibs fans ? if you're saying it was at a game...p@sh :aok:

heard it on the bus to ibrox more than once (not naming the branch) heard it inside ibrox and easter road (when playing rangers)

really dont know why this would surprise people so much when there is a minority of the hibs support that openly sings about the death of wallace mercer.

Skanko79
19-09-2012, 11:44 AM
:kettle:

Where I don't agree with, nor would ever sing the Wallace Mercer song, there is a connection to the club and the anger which his attempted actions generated seems to have remained. Ergo, I suppose I can understand why people of a certain mentality within the support will sing it. It's "relevant" in their minds (for lack of a better word).

However, to suggest that the same people are then incapable of divorcing that from a disaster like Ibrox, Heysel, Bradford or Hillsborough is a leap too far for me.

I don't like to hear the Mercer song and I can't understand where anyone would go to in their mind where celebrating the death of someone is acceptable but to use it interchangably as a comparable example with something like a song about a disaster is a bit left field and based on absolutely nothing.

On a site such as this where there are so many Hibs fans (many whom go to games both home and away and have done for decades) and only one person has suggested such a song has been sung? Considering some of the morons who follow/have followed Hibs over the years, it probably wouldn't surprise me if there was a proper **** element who would use such material to goad Rangers fans but having been to Ibrox a few times with Hibs and also at games at ER over the past 5 or 6 years, it's not something I've ever heard.

read my original post. as i said, i havent heard it for 5/6 years.

Baldy Foghorn
19-09-2012, 01:04 PM
'Wallet Mercer' was a cold bloodied asset stripper who tried to destroy Hibs. He wasn't doing this out of any football loyalties - he was simply a greedy little man and happy to make a profit out of our misery.
He also idolised Thatcher - another evil low life in my opinion.

But despite that I still think it sucks to sing songs about him being dead. It's not bright and makes us look small

I think whilst the blame gets apportioned to Mercer, another Tory twat shyster in the shape of David Rowland goes un-noticed and I would suggest did far more harm to our Club.....

silverhibee
19-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Been going home and away for god knows how long to support Hibs, never heard any song being sung about the Ibrox disaster, if you have heard it a few times been sung by Hibs fans then i would expect a few on here to remember it too, lets see if anyone can remember ok.

Specs are of and i still think its pish. :aok:

Hibercelona
19-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Any chants making fun of such terrible tragedies such as Munich or Hillsborough where many innocent people (including children) lost their lives is sickening. Im all for banter and winding up opposition fans, thats what football is all about, but stuff like this well over steps the mark.

As for the Mercer chants, I think its time we put these to bed for good, especially when they are being sung in games that don't even involve hearts. Don't get me wrong, I hate Mercer for what he did (or tried to do!) and for everything he put our club and our fans through. Ill never forgive him for trying to kill off Hibernian but the guy is dead now, he has been for like 6 years or something now. Lets sing songs that focus on hibs and songs that will actually lift our players. I mean what do think will inspire and lift our players more, a song about a dead man? or songs about our players/our club/our achievements etc?

Exactly.

Singing the song does the club no favours whatsoever. I actually feel sorry for people that can't let go of the past and look ahead for a brighter future.

Time to stop dwelling on the past and realize that we're Hibernian FC and we're still here! Lets look ahead, not backwards.

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Exactly.

Singing the song does the club no favours whatsoever. I actually feel sorry for people that can't let go of the past and look ahead for a brighter future.

Time to stop dwelling on the past and realize that we're Hibernian FC and we're still here! Lets look ahead, not backwards.

I think it is a massive part of who we are. We survived and we go on, but I don't think we should ever forget what greedy businessmen can do.

Hibercelona
19-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I think it is a massive part of who we are. We survived and we go on, but I don't think we should ever forget what greedy businessmen can do.

Of course not. It's something that will always exist in the memories of those who were old enough to remember it at the time.

But bleating on about it won't change those memories and it won't do anything to help the club either. All it does is encourage daft wee laddies to hop on to the bandwagon. In fact, i'd say that most people who sing it now, are people who either weren't there, or would have been too young to remember it but just want to feel like they're a part of it.

Time wasted singing that song could be used to sing songs that will spur the current team on.

As far as i'm concerned, Mercer tried and he failed. Now he's gone for good. Good riddance, now lets move on and help the current team by giving them the best support we can.

hibsbollah
19-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Completely agree :agree:

Jonnyboy
19-09-2012, 09:59 PM

In all honesty this astounds me because I've never heard such a song.

hibee_nation
19-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Not one person has backed him up, been to ipox a few times lately and never heard it and more to the point no threads on here from folk who heard it at the time which i'm pretty sure there would have been.

Sylar
19-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Not one person has backed him up, been to ipox a few times lately and never heard it and more to the point no threads on here from folk who heard it at the time which i'm pretty sure there would have been.

Not even the Huns have ever accused Hibs fans of singing this and they strive to attach any stigma possible to us "Kafflic clubs" :rolleyes:

Big Frank
19-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Been going home and away for god knows how long to support Hibs, never heard any song being sung about the Ibrox disaster, if you have heard it a few times been sung by Hibs fans then i would expect a few on here to remember it too, lets see if anyone can remember ok.

Specs are of and i still think its pish. :aok:

Never happened. The boy is talking utter pish.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Same here.

Bill Milne
20-09-2012, 07:47 AM
No, I haven't been keeping up with changes in the law. I know you're not allowed to offend LGBT groups, ethnic groups, disabled groups, and I'm sure some others. Are you telling me now that you're not allowed to offend the families and friends of dead people, and that this is on the statutes as a 'hate crime'? I'm not wholly surprised if that's the case, I just didn't know.

What offends me the most is when football crowds at Aberdeen FC matches use 'sheep****gers' as a derogatory term. This is clearly offensive to, or possibly even violates the human rights of, people who actually have sex with sheep - and by extension, other animals. Surely the feelings of zoophiles should have at least as much protection under the law as the feelings of dead people?

If Mercer's family chose to complain then, yes, it is an offence.With the current furore over Hillsborough, it's only a matter of time before Plod begins to react, I feel.That's my personal opinion BTW.

Mac
20-09-2012, 09:18 AM

In the many, many years I have been travelling around following Hibs (as you know JC) I have never, ever heard one Hibs fan even mention this never mind sing about either on a bus or in a ground and therefor I have to agree with the majority, absolute and utter PISH!!!

I do however have no issue with the Mercer song as i remember it all too well and involved in the various campaigns when he tried to close us down (merger my arse),my only regret is he isnt here to see the shambolic mess of his own club and the financial position we are now in, although i hope his family are enjoying it!!

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 10:07 AM

do you think because no-one on here has heard it its instantly pish like? you are aware that hibs.net is NOT the majority or voice of the hibs support arent you?

and for the record, there are people on here that have heard it im 100% sure of that, because i know them :)

im also 100% sure of the fact i heard it on more than one occassion at both ibrox and easter road. why this would honestly surprise you is completely mind blowing as we have some sections of our support that openly sing about the death of wallace mercer.

dont know whats so hard to understand, going back to my original point there are elements of every support that will bring the club down by singing these songs, even ours. wake up and smell the coffee and understand that.

i was honest when i stated i had heard it and admitted i hadnt heard it for 5/6 years, but it certainly doesnt make the hibs support angels because as i said before we openly sing the wallace mercer song.

Steve-O
20-09-2012, 10:09 AM
do you think because no-one on here has heard it its instantly pish like? you are aware that hibs.net is NOT the majority or voice of the hibs support arent you?

and for the record, there are people on here that have heard it im 100% sure of that, because i know them :)

im also 100% sure of the fact i heard it on more than one occassion at both ibrox and easter road. why this would honestly surprise you is completely mind blowing as we have some sections of our support that openly sing about the death of wallace mercer.

dont know whats so hard to understand, going back to my original point there are elements of every support that will bring the club down by singing these songs, even ours. wake up and smell the coffee and understand that.

i was honest when i stated i had heard it and admitted i hadnt heard it for 5/6 years, but it certainly doesnt make the hibs support angels because as i said before we openly sing the wallace mercer song.

Ok so what are the words to this supposed song?

Sylar
20-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Which branch are you suggesting sung it on buses running into Glasgow and why won't you name them?

As Hibs fans, we have a duty to stamp this pish out (if indeed it did happen, which I still doubt) and if you refuse to step up and deliver those who supposedly partake in such activities with your vague assertions, you're every bit as guilty as they are.

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Ok so what are the words to this supposed song?

i remember some of them but to be honest id rather not go into it cos i think its disgusting. pretty similar to the hillsborough one.

believe what you want and to be honest i dont really give a toss if you think it was sung or not, i know i heard it. and i know for a fact others on here know it was sung.

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Which branch are you suggesting sung it on buses running into Glasgow and why won't you name them?

As Hibs fans, we have a duty to stamp this pish out (if indeed it did happen, which I still doubt) and if you refuse to step up and deliver those who supposedly partake in such activities with your vague assertions, you're every bit as guilty as they are.

i certainly wont be naming the branch as i said in my previous post, this was 5/6 years ago and im certainly not in the habbit of doing that.

vague assertions??? are you mental or something? how am i as guilty as they are? i never sung it. thats like saying the entire hibs support is as guilty as the folk that sing the mercer song, go and take a wee look at the nonsense you have just posted.

and if you want to do your club a service and go grassing folk in get yourself a wee clipboard and go round easter road taking the names of everyone singing the wallace mercer song, which is still sung today. good luck with that.

Sylar
20-09-2012, 10:34 AM
i certainly wont be naming the branch as i said in my previous post, this was 5/6 years ago and im certainly not in the habbit of doing that.

If this is a genuine claim, the branch should know they have members who think such behaviour is acceptable and take action accordingly. If not (as I suspect is the case), I'm pretty sure they'll happily set you to rights in no uncertain terms.

vague assertions??? are you mental or something? how am i as guilty as they are? i never sung it. thats like saying the entire hibs support is as guilty as the folk that sing the mercer song, go and take a wee look at the nonsense you have just posted.

You've provided nothing to verify your claim that it's been sung and nobody on here (which I will concede, is a snapshot of the larger Hibernian support) who have been going to games home and away for decades have heard it. All you keep saying is that an unnamed branch sung a song which you won't identify at games against Rangers which you won't specify, merely saying it was "more than 5/6 years ago". If that classes as well defined clarity to you, perhaps you should be readdressing the "mental" question to a more personal audience.

I'm very much of the opinion that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. It may sound cliched, but those who idly stand by and let such nonsense be belted out without challenging, voicing concern or taking more direct action (non-violent, I stress) are in essence, condoning the behaviour. If you were as "disgusted" by it as you claim to be, what did you do about it?

and if you want to do your club a service and go grassing folk in get yourself a wee clipboard and go round easter road taking the names of everyone singing the wallace mercer song, which is still sung today. good luck with that.

How is this a logical response to me asking about the Ibrox disaster song? Deflection, and a poor attempt.

Hibrandenburg
20-09-2012, 10:35 AM
i remember some of them but to be honest id rather not go into it cos i think its disgusting. pretty similar to the hillsborough one.

believe what you want and to be honest i dont really give a toss if you think it was sung or not, i know i heard it. and i know for a fact others on here know it was sung.

Can you hum the melody?

Steve-O
20-09-2012, 10:41 AM

I don't even know the words to the Hillsborough one to be honest. Or the tune. I've never heard it.

Hibrandenburg
20-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Can you hum the melody?

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 10:43 AM
If this is a genuine claim, the branch should know they have members who think such behaviour is acceptable and take action accordingly. If not (as I suspect is the case), I'm pretty sure they'll happily set you to rights in no uncertain terms.

You've provided nothing to verify your claim that it's been sung and nobody on here (which I will concede, is a snapshot of the larger Hibernian support) who have been going to games home and away for decades have heard it. All you keep saying is that an unnamed branch sung a song which you won't identify at games against Rangers which you won't specify, merely saying it was "more than 5/6 years ago". If that classes as well defined clarity to you, perhaps you should be readdressing the "mental" question to a more personal audience.

I'm very much of the opinion that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. It may sound cliched, but those who idly stand by and let such nonsense be belted out without challenging, voicing concern or taking more direct action (non-violent, I stress) are in essence, condoning the behaviour. If you were as "disgusted" by it as you claim to be, what did you do about it?

How is this a logical response to me asking about the Ibrox disaster song? Deflection, and a poor attempt.

i was making a point about a song which i have heard sung by the hibs support. if you choose not to believe that then fair enough. you just crack on with that.

what i will respond to is the fact that you are totally contradicting yourself. in THIS day and age both at easter road and every other SPL ground we visit the wallace mercer song is sung on a regular basis, a song we have ALL heard, how often do you see people challenging this? why is it still sung? why dont YOU get all pro active like you are telling me i should have done 5/6 years ago and do something about it?

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Can you hum the melody?

better, i can play it on the clarinet, jazz flute and banjo.

Sylar
20-09-2012, 10:47 AM
i was making a point about a song which i have heard sung by the hibs support. if you choose not to believe that then fair enough. you just crack on with that.

what i will respond to is the fact that you are totally contradicting yourself. in THIS day and age both at easter road and every other SPL ground we visit the wallace mercer song is sung on a regular basis, a song we have ALL heard, how often do you see people challenging this? why is it still sung? why dont YOU get all pro active like you are telling me i should have done 5/6 years ago and do something about it?

Are you in politics per chance?

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Are you in politics per chance?

no, what gives you that immpression?

Iggy Pope
20-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Man U fans do nothing and say nothing that surprises me. They are low life in the most part. How anything sung in a derogatory manner about the Hillsborough disaster can be compared to a trite ditty about the overdue death of a smug, monied, overblown egomaniac who attempted to kill us off is beyond hysterical. A Hibs.net over reaction.

In saying all this and seeing as how the thread has swung towards Hibs, I admit to being intrigued about this 'Ibrox Disaster Song'. Never heard such a song and have been going to see Hibs play at Ibrox since 1976. Honestly, anyone out there got the words? Purely for research purposes you understand.

Chuck Rhoades
20-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Either is half of our support. Not just the 15 or so of us.

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Man U fans do nothing and say nothing that surprises me. They are low life in the most part. How anything sung in a derogatory manner about the Hillsborough disaster can be compared to a trite ditty about the overdue death of a smug, monied, overblown egomaniac who attempted to kill us off is beyond hysterical. A Hibs.net over reaction.

In saying all this and seeing as how the thread has swung towards Hibs, I admit to being intrigued about this 'Ibrox Disaster Song'. Never heard such a song and have been going to see Hibs play at Ibrox since 1976. Honestly, anyone out there got the words? Purely for research purposes you understand.

NO, what is beyond hysterical is the fact that you any many others like you are attempting to justify the singing of a song against one dead person but ridiculing those who sing about a group of dead people (96 to be exact). Forget who he is and what he has done HE IS DEAD FFS AND SO ARE THE 96.

NOTHING EVER can justify the singing of songs against dead people, well that is the rule for decent human beings anyway!

bawheid
20-09-2012, 12:15 PM
no, what gives you that immpression?

You need to man up and admit that you're talking out yer hole.

I've been to dozens of Hibs v Rangers games at both Ibrox and Easter Road and never once heard the Ibrox disaster mentioned never mind sung about. Nobody else on this thread, nor anyone I've spoken to has either.

You're levelling a pretty disgusting accusation at the Hibs support and you need to either back it up with a few more facts (i.e which buses, who, how often, when?) or make a full retraction.

silverhibee
20-09-2012, 12:25 PM

How are those other folk on here not backing you up then if they heard it being sung.

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 12:31 PM
You need to man up and admit that you're talking out yer hole.

I've been to dozens of Hibs v Rangers games at both Ibrox and Easter Road and never once heard the Ibrox disaster mentioned never mind sung about. Nobody else on this thread, nor anyone I've spoken to has either.

You're levelling a pretty disgusting accusation at the Hibs support and you need to either back it up with a few more facts (i.e which buses, who, how often, when?) or make a full retraction.

aye im talking out my hole right enough.

ive spent a hell of a long time watching hibs all over and would just decide to rattle out with that for no reason.

as i said earlier in the thread, this was 5/6 years ago both at ibrox and easter road, the reason i said this was because my original post was about the fact that our support have been known to sing these songs to and still do (wallace mercer song) and i'll tell you what, i remember being at the 7-0 game at ibrox in 95 with my mate and his dad and hearing it sung as early as then. and i have heard it sung on numerous occassions from then up untill about 5/6 years ago.

and no, im levelling a disgusting fact at a minority of the hibs support, we bit of a difference.

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 12:33 PM
How are those other folk on here not backing you up then if they heard it being sung.

im sure if they come on and see it they will. not everyone spends every hour of every day on here talking complete ***** like you.

Moulin Yarns
20-09-2012, 12:39 PM
What about his grandkids? :confused:

And what about their as-yet-unborn children?

Extend this far enough and you'll be arguing a chant shouldn't be chanted in case a butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil takes offence.

<<<<<<< Oi!!!! I take offence at that :greengrin

adhibs
20-09-2012, 12:53 PM

a hibs fan wishing to attend ibrox for a match not against us isnt strange? aye alright then. if you do like to go around the grounds rather than watch hibs then fair enough, dont realy understand that myself and doubt many others would either. Not realty interested in the background as i certainly wasnt condoning anything but as i said a soft spot certainly shown through after mentioning your wee day out at ibrox followed by 2 examples of celtic against rangers as things this that disgusted you.

SRHibs
20-09-2012, 01:02 PM
a hibs fan wishing to attend ibrox for a match not against us isnt strange? aye alright then. if you do like to go around the grounds rather than watch hibs then fair enough, dont realy understand that myself and doubt many others would either. Not realty interested in the background as i certainly wasnt condoning anything but as i said a soft spot certainly shown through after mentioning your wee day out at ibrox followed by 2 examples of celtic against rangers as things this that disgusted you.

I think you're confusing 'soft spot' for a particular club, and just a general interest in football. A soft spot for Rangers has certainly shown through after a single example? Christ, I hope you're never on a jury.

lapsedhibee
20-09-2012, 01:16 PM
NO, what is beyond hysterical is the fact that you any many others like you are attempting to justify the singing of a song against one dead person but ridiculing those who sing about a group of dead people (96 to be exact). Forget who he is and what he has done HE IS DEAD FFS AND SO ARE THE 96.

NOTHING EVER can justify the singing of songs against dead people, well that is the rule for decent human beings anyway!

Nothing ever?

So if the relatives of South Americans killed by vicious dictators, like, say, Allende, get together and concoct a celebratory ditty about Allende being no more, that's wrong, is it? I thought the Bleeding Heart Brigade on this thread was all for taking bereaved families' feelings into account? :confused:

adhibs
20-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I think you're confusing 'soft spot' for a particular club, and just a general interest in football. A soft spot for Rangers has certainly shown through after a single example? Christ, I hope you're never on a jury.

A trip to ibrox which you seem to have missed out followed by out of all the clubs in the world, examples from their major rivals. Christ, i hope your never on a jury if you choose to ignore major parts of the evidence.

whether he does not, i dont care enough to spend anymore time talking about it

Sylar
20-09-2012, 01:49 PM
A trip to ibrox which you seem to have missed out followed by out of all the clubs in the world, examples from their major rivals. Christ, i hope your never on a jury if you choose to ignore major parts of the evidence.

whether he does not, i dont care enough to spend anymore time talking about it

In the same "effort", I've also visited Parkhead, St Mirren Park (and Love Street), Rugby Park, Fir Hill, Hampden, Fir Park, New Douglas Park, Broadwood, Almondvale, Falkirk Stadium, Tynecastle, Almondvale, East End Park, Central Park, Starks Park, Tannadice, Dens, Gayfield, Station Park, Links Park, Glebe Park, Pittodrie, Tulloch Stadium, McDiarmid Park, Victoria Park, New Broomfield, Cappielow, Dumbarton Stadium, Cliftonhill, New Bayview, Forthbank, Recreation Park, Shielfield...[you get the idea]. Kinda difficult to do the stadium tour of Scotland and attempt to justify leaving one of the biggest stadiums off of the tour TBH.

It's a wonder I have time to leave the house and get on with my daily existence, being a fan of so many football clubs :rolleyes:

And yes I cited Celtic twice. Just like I also cited Aberdeen. The common denominator in the two cases is that they're examples from Scottish Football, which unsurprisingly, I follow more than the other leagues around the world. Other than Aberdeen or Celtic, I don't know of/haven't experienced any club's fanbase who have targeted such disasters in the name of "banter", but do feel free to provide me with some if you can.

silverhibee
20-09-2012, 01:50 PM
im sure if they come on and see it they will. not everyone spends every hour of every day on here talking complete ***** like you.

If there is anyone talking ***** on here then its you, so far not a single person has backed you up regarding a song about the Ibrox disaster being sung at ER and CG 5/6 years ago, now i am sure if a song like that was sung at ER then it would have been discussed on here or another Hibs MB, someone else would have heard it been sung and would have posted about something about that being sung at ER, i am sure of it, but since i have seen nothing and as me and other posters who have been attending Hibs Rangers games home and away on here have never heard it then i can only presume that you are the one talking pish. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Nothing ever?

So if the relatives of South Americans killed by vicious dictators, like, say, Allende, get together and concoct a celebratory ditty about Allende being no more, that's wrong, is it? I thought the Bleeding Heart Brigade on this thread was all for taking bereaved families' feelings into account? :confused:

Aye well done for another pathetic attempt just like the grand kids effort!

TonyStokeprano
20-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Im assuming the same applies to a section of the Liverpool support? since they like to sing about the munich air disaster and refer to manchester united as the munichs.

Skanko79
20-09-2012, 02:17 PM
If there is anyone talking ***** on here then its you, so far not a single person has backed you up regarding a song about the Ibrox disaster being sung at ER and CG 5/6 years ago, now i am sure if a song like that was sung at ER then it would have been discussed on here or another Hibs MB, someone else would have heard it been sung and would have posted about something about that being sung at ER, i am sure of it, but since i have seen nothing and as me and other posters who have been attending Hibs Rangers games home and away on here have never heard it then i can only presume that you are the one talking pish. :aok:

ok well we will have to agree to disagree then, im not hard of hearing and certainly not stupid, and certainly not in the habbit of accusing elements of my own teams support of singing it, merely trying to add to a thread and some people cant understand why it would be sung for a support that openly sings about wallace mercers death. thats a wee bit mind boggling for me.

and as i said before, there are people on here that know it has been sung, im sure if the people i know of see this they will happily admit to that, i think others that know it has been sung just dont have the bottle.

and again, can i bring to your attention that hibs.net is NO-WHERE near the majority and voice of the hibs support. its about time some people on this forum actually realised that.

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Im assuming the same applies to a section of the Liverpool support? since they like to sing about the munich air disaster and refer to manchester united as the munichs.

:agree: Sadly there are the same type of idiots in the Liverpool support that sing such songs.

Iggy Pope
20-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Another over reaction. And you appear to be writing the rules as well?

lapsedhibee
20-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Aye well done for another pathetic attempt

I take it that means you're sticking to your point then - that it's never right to celebrate a death?

Iggy Pope
20-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Never had the misfortune to sit in amongst them so cannot confirm. More than likely though. Hillsborough is not the only target of the Mancs. Adebayor, his mum, dad, whores and elephants spring immediatekly to mind. Seems acceptable to most of them too.

hibsbollah
20-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I do like a feuding thread,.its like being back at school :aok:

Iggy Pope
20-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I do like a feuding thread,.its like being back at school :aok:

Marvellous that your school encouraged lively debate......:wink:

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I take it that means you're sticking to your point then - that it's never right to celebrate a death?

Singing songs mocking the dead!

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Another over reaction. And you appear to be writing the rules as well?

Nah they were written for me many years ago!

Iggy Pope
20-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Nah they were written for me many years ago!

Well I am glad that puritanical upbringing has served you well!

Seriously though, given how close to the Hillsborough situation you obviously are, it surprises me (blows my mind in fact), that you can equate it to something as nondescript as the death of a wealthy and widely disliked old man.
Maybe you weren't around Edinburgh in 1989-90, but I can assure you that there were many thousands of 'decent human beings' of a Hibby persuasion who would have partied long and hard if the old ******* had met his maker then. Some may even have helped him on his way, given the chance. It came later and many people remain happy at his demise, which was hardly tragic and certainly not disastrous. Incomparible to the deaths of those 96 innocent people who died through neglect and the unforgivable actions of our government that followed with the assistance of our free press.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Seriously though, given how close to the Hillsborough situation you obviously are, it surprises me (blows my mind in fact), that you can equate it to something as nondescript as the death of a wealthy and widely disliked old man.
Maybe you weren't around Edinburgh in 1989-90, but I can assure you that there were many thousands of 'decent human beings' of a Hibby persuasion who would have partied long and hard if the old ******* had met his maker then. Some may even have helped him on his way, given the chance. It came later and many people remain happy at his demise, which was hardly tragic and certainly not disastrous. Incomparible to the deaths of those 96 innocent people who died through neglect and the unforgivable actions of our government that followed with the assistance of our free press.

I've got to agree with that, songs about Waldo pale into insignificance compared to 15/4/89 songs.

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2012, 03:51 PM

My first visit to Edinburgh was in late 1990 and Hibs didn't mean much to me at the time though I did get a ST very quickly but you get the jist. Maybe you're right about me not appreciating the hatred around WM, still find it deplorable singing songs about the dead. I won't lose to much sleep over it though :greengrin

Barman Stanton
20-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Singing about the fat Tory is not even comparable to singing about innocent people dying at a football match. This is the guy who tried to shut our club down. He was hated when alive so why should he be shown any respect when he is dead?

I do think it's out of place at other games but I don't see an issue with singing it against Hearts. Sure as hell they (or any other team in our position) would.

SRHibs
20-09-2012, 04:16 PM

It's never right to celebrate the death of someone that may well have been a decent human being. This isn't a person that's inherently bad, is it? It's not Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein - someone that caused pain and suffering without the slightest bit of remorse. Wallace Mercer was a businessman that didn't understand football, and 'football people'. Did he expect the backlash get got? I don't know. Do I dislike him because of what he tried to do to Hibs? Of course I do. Does this justify the singing of songs celebrating his death? Certainly not, IMO. The fact that it's middle-aged men singing this kind of stuff genuinely makes me embarrassed for Hibernian Football Club. I guess that's just a sign of football's demographic, though.

People seem to forget that football's only a game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 04:31 PM
It's never right to celebrate the death of someone that may well have been a decent human being.

Very true, still makes Wallace fair game tho!

SRHibs
20-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Very true, still makes Wallace fair game tho!

:rolleyes:

Carry on then. Just out if interest, how would you feel about someone singing about and insulting one of your deceased relatives - a relative you liked, but that the person giving the abuse did not? What's the point in singing a song that has the potential to hurt and offend a completely innocent party?

Barman Stanton
20-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Carry on then. Just out if interest, how would you feel about someone singing about and insulting one of your deceased relatives - a relative you liked, but that the person giving the abuse did not? What's the point in singing a song that has the potential to hurt and offend a completely innocent party?

I think that Wallace's family got a much harder time of it back when he tried to finish us. Cant have been an easy time for any of them. He wasn't thinking much about his family and relatives then.

I would be surprised if they cared less what Hibs fans are singing.

Just Alf
20-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Having known WM Personally (in a business capacity) I have to say I can't see why people don't understand that singing about a specific dead individual can be hurtful to their family and friends. Singing about a specific person is a bit different to a generic song like Flower of Scotland or even God Save the Queen.

He was a pain in the arse but everything was pure business with the guy, Murray and even our own Tom F also included some humanity in their dealings. I'd still not sing about WM tho!

While i dont agree with it I can sort of understand folks that still hold and can't let go of a deep grudge singing the Wallace song at a Yam game, but if it's ever sung at a non Yam game then we've just proved we're as obsessed with Them as we like to think They are with us!

IMHO of course

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 04:52 PM

None of my deceased relatives have been involved in the type of activity that Waldo got involved in as far as i know. Not sure what the size of Hibs support was back then, but, doubt any of my deceased relatives have caused such a huge body of people such upset.

SRHibs
20-09-2012, 05:04 PM
None of my deceased relatives have been involved in the type of activity that Waldo got involved in as far as i know. Not sure what the size of Hibs support was back then, but, doubt any of my deceased relatives have caused such a huge body of people such upset.

Well, that didn't answer my question. If one of your relatives upset another person, then surely that person is justified in openly abusing and insulting them - even after death - because, you know, they upset them?

It's in most peoples' moral code to respect the dead, but I guess that doesn't apply on Hibs.net. It makes me laugh that we take the moral high ground on so many other issues on here, TBQH. "Oh no, Hearts sang 'All the Hibees are gay', I'm so offended", yet we're happy to sing a song, and laugh, at the expense of a dead person? Our fans are seemingly as bad as the rest - those that we so openly vilify.

Chuck Rhoades
20-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Some of the comparisons getting thrown about on here are absolutely astonishing:bitchy:

hibsbollah
20-09-2012, 05:21 PM
This is a laughably bad thread. :not worth

Just Alf
20-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Some of the comparisons getting thrown about on here are absolutely astonishing:bitchy:

You're in a good position to sort it though.
As a group you're our cheerleaders, without the mini skirts of course (at least when you come to the games :D ) so when someone sings ill of the dead you can start summat that supports/lifts the team and fans to drown 'em oot!

GGTTH!

SRHibs
20-09-2012, 05:24 PM
You're in a good position to sort it though.
As a group you're our cheerleaders, without the mini skirts of course (at least when you come to the games :D ) so when someone sings ill of the dead you can start summat that supports/lifts the team and fans to drown 'em oot!

GGTTH!

Judging by some of the stuff I've heard coming from Section 43, they're probably the song's biggest proponents. :duck:

FitbaFolkKen
20-09-2012, 05:26 PM
It's never right to celebrate the death of someone that may well have been a decent human being. This isn't a person that's inherently bad, is it? It's not Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein - someone that caused pain and suffering without the slightest bit of remorse. Wallace Mercer was a businessman that didn't understand football, and 'football people'. Did he expect the backlash get got? I don't know. Do I dislike him because of what he tried to do to Hibs? Of course I do. Does this justify the singing of songs celebrating his death? Certainly not, IMO. The fact that it's middle-aged men singing this kind of stuff genuinely makes me embarrassed for Hibernian Football Club. I guess that's just a sign of football's demographic, though.

People seem to forget that football's only a game.

I agree with this....the song isn't "Hibs Class"... we like to see ourselves as a cut above the rest, I think dropping a 20 year old grudge would eb in our best interests.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Well, that didn't answer my question. If one of your relatives upset another person, then surely that person is justified in openly abusing and insulting them - even after death - because, you know, they upset them?

If somebody thought someone was a vagina when they were alive, they shouldnae change there opinion just 'cos they've died, its not some utopian parallel universe we are living in, ***** die, life moves on.

FitbaFolkKen
20-09-2012, 05:38 PM
If somebody thought someone was a vagina when they were alive, they shouldnae change there opinion just 'cos they've died, its not some utopian parallel universe we are living in, ***** die, life moves on.

When someone is dead they have no opportunity to defend themselves. If life moves on as you say why hasn't this been dropped?

SRHibs
20-09-2012, 05:46 PM

No-one's asking you to "change your opinion", it's more a matter of you developing some common decency and keeping your mouth shut. If you can't see how the lay of the land changes when someone dies, then I give up. So, because we're not living in Utopia, we simply can't strive for societal improvement, or for common respect? I like it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Life moves on, having a dislike for ****s lasts a bit longer. To take us back on topic, you might have noticed I detest the man, never sung the song tho, that doesnae stop him being an odious individual. He wasnae interested in defending his actions when he could, so, who cares now that he is dead?

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2012, 05:49 PM

It used to be sung in the early 70's John on the buses going to away games. Went something like, how many died how many survived in the ibrox park disaster? No enough died too many survived in the ibrox park disaster.

Never heard it in 40 years, i think he's talking pish its not been sung at easter road or away at any game i have been to since the early 70's.

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Life moves on, having a dislike for ****s lasts a bit longer. To take us back on topic, you might have noticed I detest the man, never sung the song tho, that doesnae stop him being an odious individual. He wasnae interested in defending his actions when he could, so, who cares now that he is dead?

He absolutely revelled in the attention, and he would probably love the songs now. I can just see that apalling Ted Heath like grin and shaking shoulders.

It used to be sung in the early 70's John on the buses going to away games. Went something like, how many died how many survived in the ibrox park disaster? No enough died too many survived in the ibrox park disaster.

Never heard it in 40 years, i think he's talking pish its not been sung at easter road or away at any game i have been to since the early 70's.

Stuart Cosgrove spoke about "Orange Crush" in his book - Hampden Babylon. Early 80s, post punk, but still beyond the pail for me.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2012, 06:11 PM
He absolutely revelled in the attention, and he would probably love the songs now. I can just see that apalling Ted Heath like grin and shaking shoulders.

Stuart Cosgrove spoke about "Orange Crush" in his book - Hampden Babylon. Early 80s, post punk, but still beyond the pail for me.

Not sure about other clubs, but i have not heard anything sung by opposition fans either since those days either? While you can never discount the odd bampot shouting something, it seems we only have one person who's heard anything, i dont believe a word of it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 06:16 PM

I hear what you are saying, but, if he was still alive this song wouldnae exist, there'd probably be others tho, but, at least he could defend his position!

Jonnyboy
20-09-2012, 07:25 PM

I'd be travelling with Maude on the Hawkhill bus back then and you can be sure it wasn't sung on that bus!

Skanko says 5/6 years ago which is a helluva lot more recent. Skanko also says it's been sung at ER. 5/6 years ago we still had the old covered east terrace. The more misty eyed amongst us would have us believe that everyone in the old east sang from start to finish so if that particular song was sung 5/6 years ago, surely someone else would remember it?

lapsedhibee
20-09-2012, 07:35 PM
It's never right to celebrate the death of someone that may well have been a decent human being. This isn't a person that's inherently bad, is it? It's not Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein - someone that caused pain and suffering without the slightest bit of remorse.

Although you haven't made it explicit, I think you may be acknowledging here that there may be some cases - when "inherently bad" people are involved - where it would be ok to celebrate someone's death.

Clearly Waldo is not at all comparable to those others you namecheck, but once you allow that some people's death is fair game then the debate moves from "No decent human being would ever celebrate a death of any sort, would they?" to "How bad would a person have to behave in life for it to be ok to celebrate his death?" A much more interesting question imo.

The inherently bad people you mention have children, grandchildren, etc. I imagine they - largely innocent people, as I understand - have had to get used to the fact that their parents, grandparents were not well liked. And any suggestion that Waldo's descendants might be somehow psychologically damaged by a bunch of footy fans venting is, well, preposterous!

I am surprised that the Waldo song has in this thread been universally presented as simply its Waldo-mocking content, rather than its life-affirming, survivalist, content. "We're no." We might have been though.

I don't sing about Waldo, but treating people differently simply because they are dead is either rancidly, stinkingly hypocritical or respectful and decent, according purely to taste.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2012, 07:44 PM
I'd be travelling with Maude on the Hawkhill bus back then and you can be sure it wasn't sung on that bus!

Skanko says 5/6 years ago which is a helluva lot more recent. Skanko also says it's been sung at ER. 5/6 years ago we still had the old covered east terrace. The more misty eyed amongst us would have us believe that everyone in the old east sang from start to finish so if that particular song was sung 5/6 years ago, surely someone else would remember it?

:agree: its bollox John, as i said its nearly 40 years since that song or any other has been heard at Easter road.

Jonnyboy
20-09-2012, 07:45 PM
:agree: its bollox John, as i said its nearly 40 years since that song or any other has been heard at Easter road.

:agree: :aok:

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2012, 07:48 PM
:agree: :aok:

Unless its been sung by some women, wouldnt put anything past those sorts? :wink:

Jonnyboy
20-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Unless its been sung by some women, wouldnt put anything past those sorts? :wink:

:tsk tsk: :devil: :stirrer: :LOL:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-09-2012, 08:13 PM

I was a Hawkhill man up to the late '90s!

Jonnyboy
20-09-2012, 08:23 PM

That's medal winning form :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Pre op obviously?

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Not sure about other clubs, but i have not heard anything sung by opposition fans either since those days either? While you can never discount the odd bampot shouting something, it seems we only have one person who's heard anything, i dont believe a word of it.

I think the world has changed. Imagine a song like "One Yorkshire Ripper" these days. The impression I get is that people find themselves in a small pocket of supporters and they think everyone is joining in.

At least when it was 30 blokes up at the old TV gantry you knew that the only people likely to join in were seagulls. I reckon social media can sometimes blow these things out of proportion.

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I hear what you are saying, but, if he was still alive this song wouldnae exist, there'd probably be others tho, but, at least he could defend his position!

If he wasn't alive there would still be people wanting to kill him. Would he have deserved it? With the benefit of maturity I'll be mellow enough to say, he may well have done.

What's getting lost in all this is that there are many people who absolutely detest that man and his memory. I reckon sick songs about cancer that could upset other people who have experience of it, lets him off the hook. But, as others have said, I won't lose too much sleep over it.

SRHibs
20-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Although you haven't made it explicit, I think you may be acknowledging here that there may be some cases - when "inherently bad" people are involved - where it would be ok to celebrate someone's death.

Clearly Waldo is not at all comparable to those others you namecheck, but once you allow that some people's death is fair game then the debate moves from "No decent human being would ever celebrate a death of any sort, would they?" to "How bad would a person have to behave in life for it to be ok to celebrate his death?" A much more interesting question imo.

The inherently bad people you mention have children, grandchildren, etc. I imagine they - largely innocent people, as I understand - have had to get used to the fact that their parents, grandparents were not well liked. And any suggestion that Waldo's descendants might be somehow psychologically damaged by a bunch of footy fans venting is, well, preposterous!

I am surprised that the Waldo song has in this thread been universally presented as simply its Waldo-mocking content, rather than its life-affirming, survivalist, content. "We're no." We might have been though.

I don't sing about Waldo, but treating people differently simply because they are dead is either rancidly, stinkingly hypocritical or respectful and decent, according purely to taste.

No, I wasn't condoning the celebration of anyone's death, and I have to say the fact that the US actually stooped to stopping sporting events to announce and celebrate OSB's death kind of disturbed me a little bit. That said, there obviously are cases in which it would be more understandable - depending on why that person was hated.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Pre op obviously?

Hee hee! Maude accused me of being a Jambo because I stopped travelling on the bus, the mental scars have still not healed!