PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

Pretty Boy
15-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Been a massive critic of the guy in the past but had it not been for Sparky he was my man of the match today. Looks so much improved, McPake helps but he's obviously worked hard himself.

As an aside didn't think we were great today, pretty poor at times to be honest, but a battling 3 points and players throwing themselves in the way of the ball near the end to keep us ahead epitomised this, shows we are going in the right direction.

Seveno
15-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Paul and James were great today.

tamig
15-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Been a massive critic of the guy in the past but had it not been for Sparky he was my man of the match today. Looks so much improved, McPake helps but he's obviously worked hard himself.

As an aside didn't think we were great today, pretty poor at times to be honest, but a battling 3 points and players throwing themselves in the way of the ball near the end to keep us ahead epitomised this, shows we are going in the right direction.

I thought he had a great game today - the mix up with Williams for the goal the only blip. Looks likes he's beefed up a bit over the close season which is good as he was bullied so many times last season.

Postman
15-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Very solid yes and can be very pleased with his performance. Man of the Match after Sparky, not for me. Claros definitely ahead of him on that one. Bringing in McGivern will keep him on his toes but I would be happy if he keeps up his recent performances and we don't need to make any changes to the back four!

Borderhibbie76
15-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I was at qos game and he was awful that night, is a different player alongside mcpake!!! Maybe he has serious man love for our skipper too...

The Harp
15-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I've always liked Paul Hanlon. Very cultured defender who has learned a hell of a lot from playing alongside James McP, and hopefully will continue to do so.
Only negative for me is that he's too much of a gentleman.

matty_f
15-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Was going to start a similar thread. Hanlon was outstanding again today. He and mcpake have been terrific together this season.

Northernhibee
15-09-2012, 11:24 PM
He's a million pound player. We'll see more clubs starting to take an interest down south, but he's a very very talented player and hasn't had the side around him in recent seasons to show it.

machibby
16-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Total transformation from last season, where he didn't seem to be playing to his potential. What strikes me more than anything is he seems to read the game so much better now. Certainly no longer the soft touch he's been in the past.

HoboHarry
16-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Never really understood the Hanlon knockers to be honest. Played sweeper my whole career and it is a partnership with the centre-half. How would Willie Miller have fared without Alex McLeish for example? Imagine him beside Colin Murdoch or Sean O'Hanlon. Hanlon will move on to greater things in good time, not a shadow of a doubt - he is a player.

Brightside
16-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Some proper judges have said this for some time. You cant rate a player when he is playing next to ****** Stephens or OHanlon. He's the biggest asset in the balance sheet. Hopefully we can keep him and mcpake together for a few seasons.

scoopyboy
16-09-2012, 08:36 AM
I thought he had a great game today - the mix up with Williams for the goal the only blip. Looks likes he's beefed up a bit over the close season which is good as he was bullied so many times last season.

Paul and a few others have been doing extra work at the boxing gym in Haddington.

I've stated before and will do so again, if Paul Hanlon doesn't make it as a professional football player it won't be for the lack of effort. He is completely committed to making it as a player and IMO will eventually get a good move.

How many of us have heard it said this player or that player would have made it if they had worked harder. Many ex pros will admit now that they are finished that if they had stuck in they could have done so much better. Too late by then of course.

Lack of ability can beat a player but he shouldn't be looking back and saying I never gave it my best shot.

MB62
16-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Very impressed by Hanlon yesterday. I thought at last we seen the young boy looking more like a man and performed as such. Without doubt, he has benefited playing alongside McPake and looks a different player this season.

Yesterday was not a silky footballing performance but we are not ready to do that yet. I still frustrated watching Hibs defend deep when playing at home against the likes of Killie, who don't look a bad outfit BTW. However, as mentioned by someone else, this season the players we have are giving it their all and the determination shown by them is something we have lacked for a few seasons now.

Well done to every player yesterday, and I've now changed my mind on Claros too, he is still starting to look the part for me.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I was not convinced about him, i have said so on here. And if i'm honest i'd say he's been better than McPake this season, part of a much better back 4 we all craved. :top marks

We now have a back 4 who are all decent players, with a midfield giving much better protection than previous seasons helping the defence no end.

I said last season when i thought he was playing poor he needed to improve, he has and thats all everybody wanted. He and the others need to keep this up, and if they do we will make the progress the club and fans deserve. :pray: