PDA

View Full Version : Was the final a blessing in disguise ?

dp00
15-09-2012, 06:29 PM
On the way home I was thinking that the final defeat may be something we look at and say that's where it all started ...

You can't get any lower than getting beat by your arch rivals 5-1 in a competition you ain't won in over 100 years so it ment the only way is up

Had we won that game those same players that never gave a flying monkeys about our club would have been treated like legends when in fact none of the deserve it , we could have possibly re-signed a few of them leading to us being in the same position this season instead That defeat has helped the club/manager see what was wrong and put steps in place to resolve. I think it's clear for everyone to see they are trying to improve everything about the club. Anyone who says otherwise is blind

We have a team on the park that looks like they care and put in 100% effort for 90mins. We have a management team that is trying to instil the right mentality at the club, play football the way we play it and we have a board that will continue to make us one of the best run clubs in the country

We are and never will be world beaters but as far as I'm concerned the only way is up . I really don't expect us to be in the top 3 come the end of the season but I think with a little luck we will make the top 6 and to me after the last few season is improvement and improvement is all I ask for

In pat we trust :)

hibsbollah
15-09-2012, 06:30 PM
No

theonlywayisup
15-09-2012, 06:33 PM
NO!

WindyMiller
15-09-2012, 06:34 PM
**** off!

FranckSuzy
15-09-2012, 06:34 PM
It may not be the most popular view but I agree with the OP. Onwards and upwards. GGTTH.

Ray_
15-09-2012, 06:35 PM
**** off!

This, worst result in our history, a blessing :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
15-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Big fat NO, the mental scars from that day will never heal.

Billychaotic182
15-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Hell no!!!!!!

The Voice Of Reason
15-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Bragging rights to the Yams for forevermore.........let me think about it :-

NO!

KingFranck
15-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Only if we do the double this year !

wearethehibs
15-09-2012, 06:44 PM
We wouldn't be playing with the same passion and commitment as we are now if we had won it IMO.

But we would have won it.

15-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I can see where your coming from but no, the final was the most humiliating, darkest day in our history and as mentioned above, left very painful scars.

RickyS
15-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I can see where your coming from but no, the final was the most humiliating, darkest day in our history and as mentioned above, left very painful scars.

will hurt forever, i still cant even discuss the match.

Seveno
This has to be the most ridiculous post in the history of Hibs.net.

Sir David Gray
I'd rather be sitting down the bottom of the league right now and have the Scottish Cup locked away safely in the trophy cabinet.

No matter what happens from now on and how well we do over the next few seasons, I will never accept that what happened on the 19th May will have been worth it or a blessing in disguise or any other kind of positives.

It was one of the worst days in the club's entire history and the memories from that game will haunt me for a very long time.

Personally can't believe that this is even being discussed!

mrdependable
15-09-2012, 06:54 PM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lyonhibs
15-09-2012, 06:55 PM
:confused:

Is this a wind up?? Losing to Hearts by any score, in any game, let alone 5-1 in a SC Final should never be treated as anything other than an embarrasement. The Scarlet Pimpernel couldn't disguise the events of May the whateveritwas as a "blessing".

Capt Mainwaring
15-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Get a grip son! NO

Billy Whizz
15-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Worst football day of my life, which will never be repeated

dp00
15-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Slightly unpopular then... Just and opinion

jdships
15-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Is this a wind up?? Losing to Hearts by any score, in any game, let alone 5-1 in a SC Final should never be treated as anything other than an embarrasement. The Scarlet Pimpernel couldn't disguise the events of May the whateveritwas as a "blessing".

That's it for me :top marks!!
Was taken to my first match at ER in November/December 1940 ( memory is not too good !) by an uncle who had played for Hibs
I was lucky enough to play ' down the slope' against the Famous five ( twice) but have been let down so often in Scot Cup semi's/ finals
This one beyond doubt was the worst ever for me
At 80 this was to be perhaps my last chance to cheer the open topped bus down Leith Walk .:greengrin
Therefore
MY ANSWER IS A BIG NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevenhibs
15-09-2012, 07:19 PM
I see where you're coming from. This might well just be the start of an incredible journey.

He who laughs last laughs longest and all that.

Yes.

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2012, 07:22 PM
On the way home I was thinking that the final defeat may be something we look at and say that's where it all started ...

You can't get any lower than getting beat by your arch rivals 5-1 in a competition you ain't won in over 100 years so it ment the only way is up

Had we won that game those same players that never gave a flying monkeys about our club would have been treated like legends when in fact none of the deserve it , we could have possibly re-signed a few of them leading to us being in the same position this season instead That defeat has helped the club/manager see what was wrong and put steps in place to resolve. I think it's clear for everyone to see they are trying to improve everything about the club. Anyone who says otherwise is blind

We have a team on the park that looks like they care and put in 100% effort for 90mins. We have a management team that is trying to instil the right mentality at the club, play football the way we play it and we have a board that will continue to make us one of the best run clubs in the country

We are and never will be world beaters but as far as I'm concerned the only way is up . I really don't expect us to be in the top 3 come the end of the season but I think with a little luck we will make the top 6 and to me after the last few season is improvement and improvement is all I ask for

What final?

H18sry
15-09-2012, 07:22 PM
NO

The Voice Of Reason
15-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd rather be sitting down the bottom of the league right now and have the Scottish Cup locked away safely in the trophy cabinet.

No matter what happens from now on and how well we do over the next few seasons, I will never accept that what happened on the 19th May will have been worth it or a blessing in disguise or any other kind of positives.

It was one of the worst days in the club's entire history and the memories from that game will haunt me for a very long time.

Personally can't believe that this is even being discussed!

Spot On :agree: :top marks

GGTTH07
15-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Worst post ever

J-C
15-09-2012, 08:17 PM
The final showed PF just what a huge job he had, we got there even though we were atrocious last year and if they had performed average and only beaten by the odd goal, we might've ended up signing some of them losers, then god help us.

The final opened up Petries eyes to the fact how really bad things had got and drastic change was needed, major overhaul has begun but this is just the first step, a step which is going in the right direction. Hopefully Taiwo plus maybe 1 other free agent is added, then January may bring another 2-3, then we will be looking at top 4, but injury or suspension may put that all to one side due to the lack of depth in the squad( fingers crossed ).

Onion
15-09-2012, 08:23 PM
:top marks and the prize for the most ridiculous thread title this year goes to ......

monktonharp
15-09-2012, 08:26 PM
of course it was. thank the Lord it happened.:rolleyes:

PatHead
15-09-2012, 08:27 PM
No,never. Can't believe any real Hibs supporter could even say that.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-09-2012, 08:28 PM
If we win the league and cup double this year then it was a blessing in disguise. Anything short of that then no chance.

The recent league results are welcome but I'd happily be bottom of the league to have won the cup last year.

gackohibs
15-09-2012, 08:29 PM
For point of argument, yes I see where you are coming from. We are by far a better team now than we have been and the final was a wake up call to the board.

However, we should have never have got so bad in the first place! I personally have forgotten about the final, and any jambo that puts his 5-1 hands up I just laugh at how pathetic they are. Hibs are on the way up, and hearts are getting worse with no signs of improvement!

In pat we trust!

FranckSuzy
15-09-2012, 08:29 PM
The final showed PF just what a huge job he had, we got there even though we were atrocious last year and if they had performed average and only beaten by the odd goal, we might've ended up signing some of them losers, then god help us.

The final opened up Petries eyes to the fact how really bad things had got and drastic change was needed, major overhaul has begun but this is just the first step, a step which is going in the right direction. Hopefully Taiwo plus maybe 1 other free agent is added, then January may bring another 2-3, then we will be looking at top 4, but injury or suspension may put that all to one side due to the lack of depth in the squad( fingers crossed ).

:agree:

J-C
15-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I think the OP was just trying to point out that even though no one liked the result and the way we lost, had we played even slightly better in the final and say the result was just 1-0, we would've been papering over the huge cracks and some of those wasters may have ended up here full time.

NO to the result but YES to the fact Petrie realised what was going on at the club, better late than never.

Kaiser_Sauzee
15-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Having read this thread, I will say no because everyone else has and I wouldn't want to single myself out.

Also, ****** off etc.

Hibercelona
15-09-2012, 08:34 PM
No, it wasn't a blessing. It was however a "breaking point". It's no shock that things have been better so far this season, as things couldn't have got any worse.

Kaiser_Sauzee
15-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I think the OP was just trying to point out that even though no one liked the result and the way we lost, had we played even slightly better in the final and say the result was just 1-0, we would've been papering over the huge cracks and some of those wasters may have ended up here full time.

NO to the result but YES to the fact Petrie realised what was going on at the club, better late than never.

Common sense at last.

HFC07
15-09-2012, 08:37 PM

I totally get what you are trying to say, I said the same after the final that at least on the back of this defeat most if not all of these players will be shipped out, however I wouldn't go so far to say a blessing - every cloud has a silver lining as We now have a decent team on the pitch.

HFC07
15-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Well said that man :aok:

Onion
15-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I totally get what you are trying to say, I said the same after the final that at least on the back of this defeat most if not all of these players will be shipped out, however I wouldn't go so far to say a blessing - every cloud has a silver lining as We now have a decent team on the pitch.

The sad reality is these players won't giving a passing thought to that match and will focus only on how much they can squeeze out of the game before they final expire as "footballers". Whereas we the supporters are left to carry the shame :rolleyes:

Tha Cabbage Kid
15-09-2012, 08:52 PM
never a blessing to get beat by THEM

theonlywayisup
15-09-2012, 08:52 PM
I still maintain that it was not a blessing. Last season was all down to one person IMHO, Colin Calderwood. He was shocking and the wrong man at the wrong time. Whilst many doubted Pat fenlon, I do feel he is the man to take us forward. What has happened this season would have happened whether we got gubbed in the final or humped in the semi final. With hindsight, I would rather have lost the semi than suffered the 1-5 loss.

I said at the time to guys at work, we had a better chance of beating Celtic than beating Hertz and I still believe that today.

Northernhibee
16-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Agree with the OP, for what it's worth I think both us and them were clubs in turmoil at that final. We'd lost our identity and they'd made themselves broke paying over the odds for mercenaries like Skacel and Black.

Painful day and only started to get over it recently, but the win allowed Vlad to pull the wool over their eyes and strip their side of all their sellable players without replacing. They're in a relegation battle they'll do well to win as they have no talent and no bottle. It's only now that lot are realising that the biggest trick of the eye of the 21st century has been pulled and it's far too late to do anything, they really are donald ducked for a while.

We finally reached a breaking point where the fans said "Enough is enough" and forced the board to spend as big as possible. We're building a solid foundation and will win several SCs in the future with a team set on a sustainable business model.

Awful day, but we're taking the opportunities that have arisen from it.

The Green Goblin
16-09-2012, 01:11 AM
I see the argument, but I don't agree with it. The final was nothing more than a total and unmitigated disaster and utter humiliation which, personally, I still haven't gotten over. It shouldn't have taken something like that to get the club to make sure they did their most basic job and make sure there was a half-decent/competitive team out there on the pitch.

Pete
16-09-2012, 01:41 AM
I agree with the Op but I'd rather it hadn't happened.

It's time to stop moping and come out fighting!

frazeHFC
16-09-2012, 01:48 AM
It wasn't a blessing at all, but i do know where you are coming from in terms of your post.

silverhibee
16-09-2012, 01:54 AM
No. Never.

Northernhibee
16-09-2012, 02:20 AM
I'm posting this as I know that JKBers will be lurking on this and I'd hate them to get the wrong idea.

WE LOST 5-1.

However, we have 7-0, 6-2, we've had the likes of Sauzee, Turnbull, Stanton and George Best proudly represent us. We've got a club in the community that we can be proud of, we've run our business with sporting integrity and have had the courage to speak up when others have fallen short of the high standards that we set ourselves. We had the Hands Off Hibs campaign that showed how much this club means to us, we've developed some of the best players in British football like Steven Fletcher and we are working on the new generation that will see Hibernian retain their status as one of the great clubs in British football through Hanlon, Griffiths, Caldwell, Sammy Stanton, Danny Handling etc.

We have a great stadium, training facilities we can be proud of. We have Section 43, the singing section and generations within the same families who have Hibernian flowing through their veins. Hibs have been groundbreakers in European football, laying the path for every single British success in Europe to date.

They have debt, ex players like Skacel and Black who are now a free agent and mid table division three player now the over-inflated wages aren't there to be paid late, the likes of Nade, a questionable moral policy in recruitment (when a certain right back was only punted after sponsors reportedly threatened to remove their money if I recall correctly or knowingly hiring a manager who served a jail term and was on the sex offenders register), an owner who no longer appears to have aspirations for winning the Champions League as they recalled, a stadium that's falling apart and a team devoid of talent.

The reason that they keep repeating 5-1, 5-1 is because they know that apart from that they have jack **** on us.

Hibs have always been the big team. We are the big team now. We will continue to be the big team in the future. Don't let one bad result get you down, we've always been far, far more important than them. As Hibs supporters, we have so much to be proud about.

jacomo
16-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Slightly unpopular then... Just and opinion

I understand your point. A great shame it had to happen but it alerted everyone from the owner and chairman down to the problems at the club.

That day in May will always represent a huge sense of regret and disappointment however.

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 06:53 AM

This seems to be a popular view regarding many posts on here at the mo. Maybe someone could start a poll thread so we can finally find out which post is the most ridiculous.

For sure it ain't this one.

Ray_
16-09-2012, 07:26 AM

:confused: So what has Petrie done about it? We are still dreadfully short!

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-09-2012, 07:57 AM
No. Never ever. You may have a point if you had used the opening farce of the season at Tannadump.

Chibs
16-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm posting this as I know that JKBers will be lurking on this and I'd hate them to get the wrong idea.

WE LOST 5-1.

However, we have 7-0, 6-2, we've had the likes of Sauzee, Turnbull, Stanton and George Best proudly represent us. We've got a club in the community that we can be proud of, we've run our business with sporting integrity and have had the courage to speak up when others have fallen short of the high standards that we set ourselves. We had the Hands Off Hibs campaign that showed how much this club means to us, we've developed some of the best players in British football like Steven Fletcher and we are working on the new generation that will see Hibernian retain their status as one of the great clubs in British football through Hanlon, Griffiths, Caldwell, Sammy Stanton, Danny Handling etc.

We have a great stadium, training facilities we can be proud of. We have Section 43, the singing section and generations within the same families who have Hibernian flowing through their veins. Hibs have been groundbreakers in European football, laying the path for every single British success in Europe to date.

They have debt, ex players like Skacel and Black who are now a free agent and mid table division three player now the over-inflated wages aren't there to be paid late, the likes of Nade, a questionable moral policy in recruitment (when a certain right back was only punted after sponsors reportedly threatened to remove their money if I recall correctly or knowingly hiring a manager who served a jail term and was on the sex offenders register), an owner who no longer appears to have aspirations for winning the Champions League as they recalled, a stadium that's falling apart and a team devoid of talent.

The reason that they keep repeating 5-1, 5-1 is because they know that apart from that they have jack **** on us.

Hibs have always been the big team. We are the big team now. We will continue to be the big team in the future. Don't let one bad result get you down, we've always been far, far more important than them. As Hibs supporters, we have so much to be proud about.

Excellent post

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Strange thing to say about your own post.

heid the baw
16-09-2012, 10:15 AM
That Final was a historic day in the history of Scottish football, but in reality we were trying to win a trophy we never win, against a team we never beat with the worst team most of us had ever had the misfortune to endure watching, throughout a season when we never got out of the bottom 2 and avoided relegation by a miracle.

It was a day of contrasts. It showed the deep passion for the club from the Hibs supporters, who were magnificent and turned up ready to play their part. It also showed the hideous disregard for the club by the majority of the called professional players who were given the responsibility honour and privilege to represent the club and supporters that day.

Whether you loath them or not, the Hearts fans also played their part for their club , but in contast to us, their team approached the game with professionalism and passion.

That day was not a "blessing in disguise" but it was certainly a wake up call for a lot of people. When you have a day like that, you have to take stock afterwards. How far we had fallen, what we were willing to tolerate from players and how let down we felt by the players, management and board members. These realities were never clearer than they were that evening. A change in player attitude had to happen and that process has begun. The Tannadice result last month was a bit like the Stranraer result in '98, early in the season, and it may well turn out to be the "blessing in disguise" as NorthernHibby suggests. Whether any long term lessons are learnt from it reamains to be seen.

Hibs fans have nothing to be ashamed of from that day in May. If you can still hold your head up and keep the faith after a defeat like that, then you are a true Hibby. The worst result in our history is over, we're still here and currently sitting 2nd in the league, and for the first time in a long time I feel that the next derby cannae come soon enough.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Not a blessing but can see where the OP is coming from.

That final was an eye opening and painful illustration of how bad we had become. There seems to be a real steeliness about the club now that something like that won't happen again.

Blessing? No. A change in mindset and direction? Quite possibly.

joe breezy
16-09-2012, 12:17 PM
No, but it was very badly timed from our point of view...

Golden Bear
16-09-2012, 12:26 PM
The worst football day of my life and nothing will ever erase the pain & memories.

A blessing in disguise? ------------------ you must be joking.

HibsMax
16-09-2012, 12:27 PM
No.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree with the OP. Thankfully, the day before the final and the cup final day and the day after it I was absolutely bonkers therefore I didn't really 'appreciate' the magnitude of it all. I'm over it, completely.

At the end of the day, whether they beat us 1v0, 5v1 or 7v0, I woke up on the Monday still feeling I'd rather be a Hibees than a Jambo.

We are Hibernian Football Club and nobody can take that away from us. (c) James McPake 2012.

chrisski33
16-09-2012, 12:33 PM
NO! How the hell can losing 5-1 to them consist as a blessing of disguise? never will be even IF we were to win the double or cup/league this year!

Jim44
16-09-2012, 12:37 PM
This thread reminds me a bit of the polls and discussion prior to the Cup Final about favouring a cup win before survival in the SPL. I was strongly in the camp of league survival as I thought and still do that playing in the SPL is the 'bread and butter' of our existence. I think the term 'blessing in disguise' is a bit OTT but I'm convinced that the nature of that humiliation was the spark needed to trigger off what so far looks like re- establishing us as a competitive club in the SPL. A cup win or even a good display on the day would have been scant consolation for the misery and very real danger that demotion would have brought to our club.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2012, 12:37 PM
What final?

Since90+2
16-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I can sort of see what the OP is trying to say in that the cup final emphasised the point further that the team needed a complete overall.

Not exactly what I would call a blessing in disguise though.

JohnStephens91
16-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Was the 0-7 pumping of them at Swynie not the game changer in Edinburgh derbies and slowly that lot began to be the more dominant side in the derby fixtures? Maybe the big shafting we received is our game changer and we may go on to be dominant for a spell as they look to be sliding in the opposite direction as well. It was not a blessing in disguise, I would have loved to have had that trophy and the bragging rights, but they have them and we were humiliated in front of a worldwide audience, but it seems to be the kick up the erchie we needed. For what it is worth I believe Fenlon would have changed everything for the better anyway during the summer.

HibsMax
16-09-2012, 12:52 PM
If I had to use any term it would be a wake-up call rather than a blessing in disguise. But even that doesn't seem right since nobody, meaning the fans, really needed to be woken up; we could already see what was wrong.

matty_f
16-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I agree with the OP. Thankfully, the day before the final and the cup final day and the day after it I was absolutely bonkers therefore I didn't really 'appreciate' the magnitude of it all. I'm over it, completely.

At the end of the day, whether they beat us 1v0, 5v1 or 7v0, I woke up on the Monday still feeling I'd rather be a Hibees than a Jambo.

We are Hibernian Football Club and nobody can take that away from us. (c) James McPake 2012.

Agree with this.

I think the final was perhaps a watershed moment rather than a blessing. It was the point where I think a lot of us decid enough is enough and started to do something about it.

I think everyone connected with the club thought the same, something needed to be done and we are at the very beginning of that process.

McPake's quote is very apt. We are Hibernian Football Club.

Hibrandenburg
16-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Was the 0-7 pumping of them at Swynie not the game changer in Edinburgh derbies and slowly that lot began to be the more dominant side in the derby fixtures? Maybe the big shafting we received is our game changer and we may go on to be dominant for a spell as they look to be sliding in the opposite direction as well. It was not a blessing in disguise, I would have loved to have had that trophy and the bragging rights, but they have them and we were humiliated in front of a worldwide audience, but it seems to be the kick up the erchie we needed. For what it is worth I believe Fenlon would have changed everything for the better anyway during the summer.

Nah, took another decade before they started giving us a game on a regular basis.

Ray_
16-09-2012, 02:38 PM

I haven't a clue where you got that from, the next game, which was early the following season, they won 4-1, but that was a totally isolated scoreline, during that era. The 7-0 game was at the very start of 1973 and including the 1-4 game, we only lost to them twice during the seventies.

JohnStephens91
16-09-2012, 03:03 PM
I haven't a clue where you got that from, the next game, which was early the following season, they won 4-1, but that was a totally isolated scoreline, during that era. The 7-0 game was at the very start of 1973 and including the 1-4 game, we only lost to them twice during the seventies.

My bad, just an honest mistake being a young'un and all

NAE NOOKIE
16-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Get what you mean mate ...... but no !!!

Having said that ... it was definately a watershed in the history of the club.

For far too long we had allowed a culture of apathy, disinterest, selfishness and complacency to exist off the park and a powder puff, namby pamby attitude to games on the park ... from teams full of players who couldnt make up for a lack of talent by showing some guts and fight.

What happened on the 19th of May was the culmination of years of that culture within ER.

What happened, happened ... and theres nothing we can do about the past ... its just a crying shame that we allowed things to get as far as they did.

As far as I'm concerned above the tunnel at ER ( like the "This is Anfield" sign at Liverpool ) we should have a sign saying ......

19 / 05 / 2012
NEVER AGAIN !!!

But one thing is for sure ..... never again will we ... the Hibs fans .... tolerate anything less than blood and guts effort in a derby match ....... never !!!

Kato
16-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Nah.

Some people are saying "if it leads to something amazing" but as yet it hasn't and even if it does, Nah.

J-C
16-09-2012, 03:33 PM
:confused: So what has Petrie done about it? We are still dreadfully short!

Dreadfully short but a hellova lot better.

HoboHarry
16-09-2012, 04:08 PM
The final wasn't a blessing in disguise but the aftermath was the breaking point and the behaviour/attitudes of some of the players after the final was what caused the clearout. PF said as much and has gone for a completely different type of player in terms of attitude. Hibs fans forget that even CC said that the core of the team was as soft as *****. Yogi knew it too, but both failed to achieve the success in terms of buying players as OF appears to have had to this point. So blessing? Not at all, but watershed - absolutely...

Keith_M
16-09-2012, 04:09 PM
No.

As much as I'm currently enjoying the difference in Hibs compared to last season, I'd much rather have left the final in May having seen Hibs finally lift the Scottish Cup.

HoboHarry
16-09-2012, 04:12 PM
The final wasn't a blessing in disguise but the aftermath was the breaking point and the behaviour/attitudes of some of the players after the final was what caused the clearout. PF said as much and has gone for a completely different type of player in terms of attitude. Hibs fans forget that even CC said that the core of the team was as soft as *****. Yogi knew it too, but both failed to achieve the success in terms of buying players as OF appears to have had to this point. So blessing? Not at all, but watershed - absolutely...
Whoopsie, PF not OF....

cam2644
16-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Absolutely correct - no blessing but a watershed moment.

For far too long we had allowed a culture of apathy, disinterest, selfishness and complacency to exist off the park and a powder puff, namby pamby attitude to games on the park ... from teams full of players who couldnt make up for a lack of talent by showing some guts and fight.

What happened on the 19th of May was the culmination of years of that culture within ER.

What happened, happened ... and theres nothing we can do about the past ... its just a crying shame that we allowed things to get as far as they did.

As far as I'm concerned above the tunnel at ER ( like the "This is Anfield" sign at Liverpool ) we should have a sign saying ......

19 / 05 / 2012
NEVER AGAIN !!!

But one thing is for sure ..... never again will we ... the Hibs fans .... tolerate anything less than blood and guts effort in a derby match ....... never !!!

GGTTH07
16-09-2012, 04:30 PM
We wouldn't be playing with the same passion and commitment as we are now if we had won it IMO.

But we would have won it.

I couldn't give a flying f--k if we also were in the 3rd div to hammer them 5-1. Nonsense post again.

7Hero
16-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Ridiculous original post, was it a blessing in disguise..

You're off your head..

HibeeEmma
16-09-2012, 05:22 PM

The only redemption would be a few 7-0's against them in the SC final for the next few years. Other than that, NO.

I would like some of what your taking though to have such an optimistic view

Alfred E Newman
16-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Ridiculous original post, was it a blessing in disguise..

You're off your head..

Totally agree. Total nonsense.

steakbake
16-09-2012, 05:59 PM
I can't see a silver lining at all in the final. I hate to admit it, but we can never put that behind us. They will always have that day: a win by an odd goal we could probably get over and write it off. However, we got totally horsed and until we out do them in that achievement, they'll have those bragging rights.

I know what you mean in one respect in that it seems to have shaken off some complacency at the club. However, we shouldn't have needed to get pumped 5-1 by our rivals in a cup final to do that. The last couple of seasons had been bad enough.

Anyhow, the only way is up.

Gerard
16-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Football is a hard game and getting beat in a final hurts. The past can't be erased but the future is still waiting to unfold and despite the hurt of getting beat by Hearts the team needs to get mentally tougher and deal with that hurt. The solution is to have a desire to win and be mentally strong.

Northernhibee
16-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Football is a hard game and getting beat in a final hurts. The past can't be erased but the future is still waiting to unfold and despite the hurt of getting beat by Hearts the team needs to get mentally tougher and deal with that hurt. The solution is to have a desire to win and be mentally strong.

Yep, it's all about finding the oportunities. In this case it was all about the opportunity to rebuild the squad and start over again.

I'll never lose pride in this team; as the first team to win a game in Europe and score a goal in Europe we will always retain our place as the team who laid the marker for future British success. When the day comes and we go up to lift the cup, we'll have done it the Hibs way, and it will be through footballers who are truly Hibs class.

Kaiser_Sauzee
16-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Yep, it's all about finding the oportunities. In this case it was all about the opportunity to rebuild the squad and start over again.

I'll never lose pride in this team; as the first British team to win a game in Europe and score a goal in Europe we will always retain our place as the team who laid the marker for future British success. When the day comes and we go up to lift the cup, we'll have done it the Hibs way, and it will be through footballers who are truly Hibs class.

First ANY team to score and win in Europe.

Northernhibee
16-09-2012, 06:46 PM
First ANY team to score and win in Europe.

Changed, but wouldn't say we laid the marker for ever single bit of continental success by any European club; modesty is a good policy :greengrin

Honestly, I don't see how we're still feeling embarrased by this. The result hurt for a while, but what people need to remember is silverware is not how you earn respect; look at Rangers. It's how your team conducts themselves, what they stand for. We might not have had a huge deal of success in recent years, but any success has been done in the Hibs way. We've brought an incredible amount of young talent into professional football and been the home of legends. We've not looked to win by 'any means necessary' (huge debt, compromising standards etc), we've always looked to win in the 'Hibs Way'.

It's like Brian Clough and Don Revie. We want to win things in the right way, win better and that is what gains respect. We aren't going to play dirty, we aren't going to build up unsustainable debt and we're going to look to bring through the likes of Sammy Stanton, Ross Caldwell, Danny Handling. Our Scottish Cup win will be in my opinion 100% full and undeniably deserved.

King Paddy
16-09-2012, 07:32 PM
How you can write utter rubbish is frankly beggars belief. It is the worst result in our History and
Hearts will have the bragging rights forevermore.

One Day Soon
16-09-2012, 07:39 PM
How you can write utter rubbish is frankly beggars belief. It is the worst result in our History and

When I read posts like this it makes me itch to type LTYF. However given your post count its clearly the pain rather than any Yaminess speaking. Do we really need to do all this public 'bragging rights forevermore' bit though? There will be Yams all over Edinburgh glueing up their keyboards and screens from blowing their loads while reading it.

I will just say this. While I wish we hadn't lost, I'm quite happy that the glory of the Holy Grail cup win didn't go to that particular group of wasters from last season masquerading as a Hibs team.

Future17
17-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Nonsense. Defeatist attitude which is all too prevelant amongst some of the Hibs support.

Mikeystewart
17-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Only if you have the emotional capacity of a premenstrual gorilla.

I also agree with the op, I don't think we would be watching the improved performances this season if it had been a narrow defeat.

Phil MaGlass
17-09-2012, 09:28 AM

19 / 05 / 2012
NEVER AGAIN !!!

Just a pity Hibs fans tolerated it for so long,
90 minutes blood, guts, sweat and toil is what we demand now, nothing less.

FranckSuzy
17-09-2012, 09:40 AM
FWIW, I've had a few neutral fans tell me how disappointed they were re the penalty decision and how it completely ruined the game for them, a la Aberdeen v Rangers, SCF 2000, when Leighton was injured in the first few minutes and Rangers then almost scored at will (0-4). I don't believe for a minute that we would have won but IMHO, 5-1 was not an accurate reflection of the game.

ballengeich
17-09-2012, 09:42 AM
No. Losing to Aberdeen in the semi-final would have been one.

Twa Cairpets
17-09-2012, 10:06 AM
No. Losing to Aberdeen in the semi-final would have been one.

Absolute rubbish.

If the same situation presents itself in the semis this year are you saying you'd prefer we lose the semi rather than run the risk of another pumping in the final? I'd prefer to get to the final every year, playing against anybody - Hearts, Sevco, Clyde, Motherwell - doesn't matter for the chance to win it rather than not having that opportunity in the first place.

As for blessing - no, but as many have said, watershed, yes.

As for all the "I'm scarred for life" mongers. It only hurts if you let it. My view is that we got pumped, it happened, I cant change it, so what is the point in letting the depression of the day and immediate aftermath screw you over now? If you have the misfortune to be amongst bragging yams, suck it up, and ask them how they enjoyed their big Easter Road party? I always knew it, but the last derby reinforced my understanding that regardless of results, it is always - always - better to be a Hibby than a Jambo.

Just Alf
17-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Absolute rubbish.

If the same situation presents itself in the semis this year are you saying you'd prefer we lose the semi rather than run the risk of another pumping in the final? I'd prefer to get to the final every year, playing against anybody - Hearts, Sevco, Clyde, Motherwell - doesn't matter for the chance to win it rather than not having that opportunity in the first place.

As for blessing - no, but as many have said, watershed, yes.

As for all the "I'm scarred for life" mongers. It only hurts if you let it. My view is that we got pumped, it happened, I cant change it, so what is the point in letting the depression of the day and immediate aftermath screw you over now? If you have the misfortune to be amongst bragging yams, suck it up, and ask them how they enjoyed their big Easter Road party? I always knew it, but the last derby reinforced my understanding that regardless of results, it is always - always - better to be a Hibby than a Jambo.

This......... :thumbsup:
............................... even if you dinnae believe in ghosts! :wink:

Hermit Crab
17-09-2012, 10:43 AM
You sir are a roaster...... A 1-5 pumping by hearts in the sc final a blessing!!!!! Oh dear.

theonlywayisup
22-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I have already said no on this thread, but I see that Pat Fenlon has implied that the cup final was a blessing. Not the result but getting to it.
“I think the target was to stay in the league, We did that. 
Getting to the Cup final was a massive plus in terms of the finances and how we can move the team on this season. It was a nightmare, a disaster on the day, a horrible day. But you have to balance it. If we had not got there we might not have been able to strengthen as much as we have.”

I have already stated that last season was down to man and one man only - "Coco the clown". What I believe Fenlon is doing is getting the right type of player in, to make us harder to beat. The next season, he will add flair to a firm base. Onward and upwards.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/horrible-scottish-cup-final-thrashing-a-blessing-in-disguise-says-pat-fenlon-1-2542176