PDA

View Full Version : Signings "from Leftfield"

Viva_Palmeiras
14-09-2012, 10:59 PM
My son Sol has decided I get no sleep tonight so

Excluding Mo Johnston....

Ill start with Victor (nae neck) to St Mirren
Followedp with Claudio Cannigia to Dundee

George Best, Sauzee and perhaps Leighton for us.

MartinfaePorty
14-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Andy Cole from Newcastle to Man U. Even more so as, I think, it was on April 1st.

Old age catching up on me, was January 95!

Frazerbob
14-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Stevie Archibald. Could you imagine us signing a Barcelona 1st team striker now? I remember thinking we were signing a has-been dud as well. The guy was sheer class, even if he did have a bit of an attitude problem.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Stevie Archibald. Could you imagine us signing a Barcelona 1st team striker now? I remember thinking we were signing a has-been dud as well. The guy was sheer class, even if he did have a bit of an attitude problem.

Ah of course how could I miss out one of my all time gave Hibs players - good shout for Archie the jinx buster!

ArmadaleHibs
15-09-2012, 12:11 AM

He was simply amazing. Apart from Frank and Russell he really has to be a modern day phenomenon. World class to the core. I like you thought we signed a bit of a has been but in truth he was a fantastic player. Loved him🙌🙌

ArmadaleHibs
15-09-2012, 12:15 AM
I still think to this day that the signing of Le 'god' has to go down as the ultimate left field signing.

How the **** did we get him.

It makes me smile unconditionally knowing that man chose us.

Nuff said 💚

Mibbes Aye
15-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Dennis Bergkamp and David Platt to Arsenal in the summer of 1995.

Both seemed incredibly exotic - Bergkamp hadn't set the heather on fire at Inter but had been awesome at Ajax and was pretty much the heir apparent to Marco Van Basten. In his mid-twenties he was just in need of the right club to demonstrate his talent.

Platt was well-established both in Serie A and as England captain. I think (stand to be corrected) that in those days he held the record for aggregate transfer fees paid out, prior to moving to Arsenal.

They're leftfield because both came at a time when Arsenal looked to be in decline. The Graham era had ended somewhat ignominiously, the remaining core of that team were ageing and Arsenal had slumped in the league. Bruce Rioch had come in but I don't think anyone envisaged him as a connoisseur of the Scudetto and there was a certain degree of disbelief that Arsenal were suddenly signing players like this, not least of all as the most recent transfer activity had seen the purchase of Chris Kiwomya and John Hartson!

In hindsight, David Dein probably had far more to do with that summer's activity than Rioch ever did. And while Platt faded out the picture as Wenger came in, Bergkamp certainly lived up to expectations and then some!! Although he did inspire chants of "What a waste of money" from opposing fans for a good while, until he broke his Premiership duck several weeks in to the season. He made up for it though :greengrin

And in fairness to the other, less-successful North London team, Spurs produced a couple of rabbits out of the hat with the signings of Ossie and Ricky following the '78 World Cup. We didn't have the internet or rolling news channels then, which makes comparison harder, but their arrival was probably 'leftfield' in the sense the OP intended.

Edinburgh Green
15-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Any top flight or talented player signing for Newco

The lack of integrity or ambition from these players are the curse of Modern football

Shearer to Newcastle - When £15million was a MASSIVE amount in English football.

It was the top story on the news and a front page item for days

Albanian Hibs
15-09-2012, 07:10 AM
My son Sol has decided I get no sleep tonight so

Excluding Mo Johnston....

Ill start with Victor (nae neck) to St Mirren
Followedp with Claudio Cannigia to Dundee

George Best, Sauzee and perhaps Leighton for us.

Off topic but when I was mascot Andy Goram was our capt and Victor was St Mirrens capt. Still got the photo!

AL-Qaholik
15-09-2012, 08:15 AM
David Zitelli...

Viva_Palmeiras
15-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Off topic but when I was mascot Andy Goram was our capt and Victor was St Mirrens capt. Still got the photo!

Was that the game when it was absolutely hosing it down and in danger of being called off and the rain was horizontal blowing directly into the East?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Sounness, Butcher, woods and Stevens and later Grasp groin and Laudrup to the old co.
Murdo to us.
Lambert to Dortmund.

Postman
15-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Sol Campbell from Spurs to Arsenal and then again when he signed for League Two Notts County from Portsmouth who were then in the Premiership

dhmf
15-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Claudio Caniggia to Wembley FC.

Springbank
15-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Have to say ravanelli to Dundee. Seriously.

Lee
15-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Ricky Villa & Ossie Ardilles to Spurs
Eric Cantona moving from Leeds to United

Closer to home, I remember being absolutely shocked when Hibs bought Keith Wright and De La Cruz, but I think that was more down to the fact we'd spent that sort of money on a transfer fee!!

Lee
15-09-2012, 09:02 AM

:agree: I remember sitting at home thinking "did that really happen?" when that one was announced!!

Albanian Hibs
15-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Was that the game when it was absolutely hosing it down and in danger of being called off and the rain was horizontal blowing directly into the East?

Dont think it was raining as I was in my p&d windows home kit for the photo and I didnt look wet! We won 4-3 that day though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Alan Simonsen to Charlton Athletic.

Steve-O
15-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Klinsmann to Spurs was pretty mental at the time.

Allesandro Del Piero has just signed for Sydney FC and I'll be watching him playing here in Wellington in 3 weeks time! :greengrin

stu in nottingham
15-09-2012, 03:59 PM
George Best to Hibs.

Maybe the ultimate one for the Hibees depending on your criteria.

ScottB
15-09-2012, 04:58 PM

:agree: I remember sitting at home thinking "did that really happen?" when that one was announced!!

Him and the other Italians signing for Middlesborough in the first place was mental enough!

stoneyburn hibs
15-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Mike Galloway , Yams to Smellies

Seveno
15-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Alan O'Brien to Hibs. Wtf was all that about ?

heidtheba
15-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Rudd gullit signing for Chelsea ( when they were a bit crap) as a sweeper!!!!!

Told my mate to f off and stop spouting pee

Waxy
15-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Kevin Keegan moving to Southampton