PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever applaud the away goalie up here?

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Brought up watching my footie at Anfield I always liked how the Kop applauded the away goalkeeper (they still do) when he made his way to the Kop goal, this was nearly always reciprocated by the away keeper, those who didn't recieved a chorus of boos. It happened at other English grounds as well.

Was this practice common in Scotland in the past?

Skanko79
14-09-2012, 12:39 PM
in my season sitting in the famous 5 which was dire the away goalie always recieved pelters.

Peevemor
14-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I remember there used to be a mutual love in between the Hibs fans and Dunfermline's Andy Rhodes - he even through his gloves into the Famous Five stand after his final match at Easter Road.

Stevie Reid
Brought up watching my footie at Anfield I always liked how the Kop applauded the away goalkeeper (they still do) when he made his way to the Kop goal, this was nearly always reciprocated by the away keeper, those who didn't recieved a chorus of boos. It happened at other English grounds as well.

Andy Rhodes (Jordan's Dad) always had a great relationship with us when he played for Dunfermline and St. Johnstone. I've no idea why.

Peevemor
Andy Rhodes (Jordan's Dad) always had a great relationship with us when he played for Dunfermline and St. Johnstone. I've no idea why.

If you're no' fast, you're last! :cb

Pretty Boy
14-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Jim Leighton generally got a good ovation when he came back with Aberdeen. As said above Andy Rhodes always seemed to like and be liked by us as well.

matty_f
14-09-2012, 12:45 PM
in my season sitting in the famous 5 which was dire the away goalie always recieved pelters.

Quite right. We should give all the opposition pelters imho!!

easty
14-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I mind a good few years back we had a decent amount of banter with Tony Bullock up at Tannadice (think it was boxing day, and we hammered them).

Stevie Reid
14-09-2012, 12:47 PM
If you're no' fast, you're last! :cb

True. Though my post did include the (admittedly obvious) information that Jordan Rhodes is his son, as well as expanding on the SPL clubs that he played for, as he was equally warmly welcomed when he played for the Saints. Finally, I'm going to add a nodding smiley at the end of this post, just so I appear even more sure of myself :agree:

Skanko79
14-09-2012, 12:47 PM
couldnt agree more. famous 5 was decent for giving pelters though when players came for corners etc etc. i mind getting ripped into that wee judas mcarthy that played for hamilton just after he decided to play for ireland. pleased to say the wee rat heard every word.

frazeHFC
14-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I think we should make the keeper feel as uncomfortable as possible, get on his back all the time.

I have found it strange when at Liverpool games that they do this.....do they clap Everton/ManU keepers too?

Hibercelona
14-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Quite right. We should give all the opposition pelters imho!!

Indeed. :agree:

There's too many fans that would rather offer the opposition a cup of tea and a pleasant afternoon at Easter Road.

Lets give them hell.

LancashireHibby
14-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I have found it strange when at Liverpool games that they do this.....do they clap Everton/ManU keepers too?
Can't speak for Liverpool but at the Reebok only goalies from non-rivals (and ones who aren't a dick....Paddy Kenny, Dean Kiely I'm looking in your direction) tend to be applauded.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I think we should make the keeper feel as uncomfortable as possible, get on his back all the time.

Yes all keepers, it's just a clap as they arrive at the goal, I have always found it a very sporting gesture from the fans and doesn't mean they don't get pelters once the whistle has gone and the game has started.

frazeHFC
14-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes all keepers, it's just a clap as they arrive at the goal, I have always found it a very sporting gesture from the fans and doesn't mean they don't get pelters once the whistle has gone and the game has started.

My first Liverpool game was at Sunderland and i think i must have been the only person giving it a :giruy: to Craig Gordon when he ran out for the second half. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Indeed. :agree:

There's too many fans that would rather offer the opposition a cup of tea and a pleasant afternoon at Easter Road.

Lets give them hell.

Right enough when I watched Liverpool throughout the 80's we always gave the opposition a pleasant afternoon :greengrin Maybe as we can't give them such a pleasant time now we should stop.

ano hibby
14-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Succession of recent Hibs goalies, Zibi, Maka etc have been made very welcome at many grounds round the country, especially the PBS, by opposing fans..dont think that was what you meant though :greengrin

BoltonHibee
14-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Artur Boruc was always given a very warm welcome at ER

Pretty Boy
14-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Was it every goalie the Kop was nice to or were the likes of Neville Southall and Peter Schmeichel excluded?

Hibrandenburg
14-09-2012, 01:52 PM
People have been coming to Leith for centuries and getting the clap.

I'll get ma coat.

Skanko79
14-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Artur Boruc was always given a very warm welcome at ER

should probably go in the funniest things you have heard shouted thread but during my season in the famous 5 i always remember this nutcase that came out with the most random things (sat near the front) calling artur boruc a "hot drink" guess i'll never know the reasons behind it.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Was it every goalie the Kop was nice to or were the likes of Neville Southall and Peter Schmeichel excluded?

All goalkeepers were shown the same respect by the fans regardless of who they played for.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2012, 02:00 PM
All goalkeepers were shown the same respect by the fans regardless of who they played for.

That's quite impressive, I couldn't imagine the old jungle at Celtic Park applauding Andy Goram!

surreyhibbie
14-09-2012, 02:03 PM

I remember having. Laugh at, and with, Hugh Sproat of Ayr United at ER once, the man was a legend and received a big round of applause at the end of the game..

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 02:07 PM
That's quite impressive, I couldn't imagine the old jungle at Celtic Park applauding Andy Goram!

I remember when we beat Crystal Palace 9-0 and a young Perry Suckling who was in goal for Palace that day was given a standing ovation by the Kop (not a sarcastic one) as I guess we felt sorry for him, he recieved a similar ovation when he played again at Anfield and played a blinder though I can't remember what game or club it was for.

StevieC
14-09-2012, 02:09 PM
At Newcastle the Gallowgate End would applaud the visiting goalkeeper as he made his way to his goal ...

.. as soon as the goalkeeper acknowledged the applause they'd change it to pelters!

It was quite funny to watch, and used to confuse quite a few goalkeepers. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
14-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Brown from Aberdeen got applauded End of last season for carrying one of his players of the pitch as ref would not allow stretchers on - think he blew us a kiss.

Part/Time Supporter
14-09-2012, 03:13 PM
couldnt agree more. famous 5 was decent for giving pelters though when players came for corners etc etc. i mind getting ripped into that wee judas mcarthy that played for hamilton just after he decided to play for ireland. pleased to say the wee rat heard every word.

(off topic)

Erm, that's more than a bit unfair on McCarthy. The reason he ended up playing for Ireland is because Scotland (or Archie Knox, to be more specific) didn't think he was good enough to be picked for the relevant youth team. This despite repeated pleading to pick him from various people at Hamilton. SFA only have themselves to blame for that one (and McGeady to a lesser extent).

Skanko79
14-09-2012, 03:18 PM
(off topic)

Erm, that's more than a bit unfair on McCarthy. The reason he ended up playing for Ireland is because Scotland (or Archie Knox, to be more specific) didn't think he was good enough to be picked for the relevant youth team. This despite repeated pleading to pick him from various people at Hamilton. SFA only have themselves to blame for that one (and McGeady to a lesser extent).

fully aware of that now but wasnt at the time, so still gave him pelters.

BS44
14-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Joe Corrigan had a wine bottle thrown at him from the kop

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Joe Corrigan had a wine bottle thrown at him from the kop

Yes but that would have been after we had applauded him and the game had started!

easty
14-09-2012, 03:49 PM
(off topic)

(more off topic)

I suppose you could see it that way....or you could see it from the point of view that if he wasn't being picked for HIS country then he should knuckle down and work even harder and hope that he gets picked next time, rather than act like a wee bairn "if you're no picking me I'm gonnae go play fur sumbody else..."

sambajustice
14-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Andy Goram didnt get applause from the Hibs support on his return, he didnt even get pelters, he just got a hook in the jaw for his troubles!!! :faf:

jgl07
14-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I can recall in the mid-1960s, Manchester City's reserve goalkeeper Alan Ogley had an absolute blinder against Southampton at the Dell. Southampton won 1-0 but Ogley made eight or nine miraculous saves. Many thought it to be the finest performance they had seen by a goalkeeper at the Dell. The home crowd gave him a standing ovation and even put a framed action photo of him up on the wall of the supporters club.

It didn't do Alan much good. He lost his place a month or so later and rarely featured in the first team again before being transferred to Stockport County.

JeMeSouviens
14-09-2012, 04:48 PM

At the end of the Skol cup final he went to throw his gloves into the Dunfermline fans but the police tried to stop him. Hibbies gave the police some stick and Rhodes managed to get past them enough to make a successful throw of the gloves, cue Hibby cheers. Think that's where it comes from?

The_Exile
14-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Andy Goram didnt get applause

Which one? :whistle:

steakbake
14-09-2012, 05:22 PM
(more off topic)

I suppose you could see it that way....or you could see it from the point of view that if he wasn't being picked for HIS country then he should knuckle down and work even harder and hope that he gets picked next time, rather than act like a wee bairn "if you're no picking me I'm gonnae go play fur sumbody else..."

(Further off topic)

He might never have got the call from "his" country, so how long into your career do you wait? I can see why he went with the offer he did - and McGeady. Why someone should get pelters for that, I'll never know but I suspect it's the country he has gone for which is most people's problem, rather than anything else.

By your reasoning, you could argue that McPake could have worked much harder to get into the Scotland squad - but he's gone for Northern Ireland. Or Rhodes could have hung on for England. But that's slightly different in the eyes of a lot of people and doesn't tend to get whipped up in the same way by West of Scotland types.

LancashireHibby
14-09-2012, 05:44 PM
I remember when we beat Crystal Palace 9-0 and a young Perry Suckling who was in goal for Palace that day was given a standing ovation by the Kop (not a sarcastic one) as I guess we felt sorry for him, he recieved a similar ovation when he played again at Anfield and played a blinder though I can't remember what game or club it was for.
Of course he got a standing ovation....it hadn't been seated by that point! :wink:

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Of course he got a standing ovation....it hadn't been seated by that point! :wink:

:greengrin

hibeemikey21
14-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I mind a good few years back we had a decent amount of banter with Tony Bullock up at Tannadice (think it was boxing day, and we hammered them).

Ah, the Alen Orman show. What a gloriously bizzare game that was to be at!

easty
14-09-2012, 06:22 PM
(Further off topic)

He might never have got the call from "his" country, so how long into your career do you wait? I can see why he went with the offer he did - and McGeady. Why someone should get pelters for that, I'll never know but I suspect it's the country he has gone for which is most people's problem, rather than anything else.

By your reasoning, you could argue that McPake could have worked much harder to get into the Scotland squad - but he's gone for Northern Ireland. Or Rhodes could have hung on for England. But that's slightly different in the eyes of a lot of people and doesn't tend to get whipped up in the same way by West of Scotland types.

(further off topic still)

I cant speak for most people but the fact they chose Ireland makes no difference to me.

Playing for your country is a privilege not a right. If you haven't yet had the privilege yet, because you're not thought to be good enough or because the jakey manager just wont pick you, then it's up to you to work harder and make it impossible not to pick you. If it never happens then that's a shame, but you shouldnt just decide to represent someone elses country!

As for McPake, he's a great player for us right now but I don't support his decision to play for N.I. I think that he has enough ability that he could have forced himself into the Scotland national team.

Bristolhibby
14-09-2012, 06:24 PM
True. Though my post did include the (admittedly obvious) information that Jordan Rhodes is his son, as well as expanding on the SPL clubs that he played for, as he was equally warmly welcomed when he played for the Saints. Finally, I'm going to add a nodding smiley at the end of this post, just so I appear even more sure of myself :agree:

Lol!

J

NAE NOOKIE
14-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Opposition keepers usually get pelters at ER and rightly so ... they should hate playing here.

Jim Leighton didnt coz he probably stopped us getting relegated when he was at ER.

Andy Rhodes didnt coz he seemed like a really nice bloke and Hibs usually beat his Pars team anyway.

erin-go-bragh87
14-09-2012, 07:05 PM

I remember this, was brilliant. "Bollocks, Whats the score!?"

Chibs
14-09-2012, 08:17 PM

No.

Although admirable and commendable this could never happen in Scotland..

Reasons :

Number 1 - we despise each other (religion,corrupt sfa,cheats,other teams trying to kill you et al)
and I don't think this is the same in England or in fact anywhere in the world.

Number 2 - Liverpool have had fantastic success in domestic and Europeon football and it's easy to
applaud some opposing goalkeeper you expect to see get a few goals pumped passed him

Number 3 - The thought of me applauding a jumbo goalkeeper (like Henry smith) onto Easter Road
turns ma stomach

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 09:36 PM
No.

Reasons :

Number 1 - we despise each other (religion,corrupt sfa,cheats,other teams trying to kill you et al)

Number 2 - Liverpool have had fantastic success in domestic and Europeon football and it's easy to
applaud some opposing goalkeeper you expect to see get a few goals pumped passed him

Number 3 - The thought of me applauding a jumbo goalkeeper (like Henry smith) onto Easter Road
turns ma stomach

Number 1- How sad.

Number 2- It still happens now and the Pool are hardly pumping teams every week.

Number 3- Oh dear

Number 4 - It is only a game.

EdinMike
14-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Never applauded, however I do get some stares if I exclaim "Some save !!" by an opposition keeper. Played in goals myself a bit so it's a respect thing I think.

Mon Dieu4
14-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Only time i can remember doing it was when Goram gave the east a clap when he played for Motherwell

stoneyburn hibs
14-09-2012, 10:21 PM
No.

Reasons :

turns ma stomach

BS44
15-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Yes but that would have been after we had applauded him and the game had started!

Visiting keeper Joe Corrigan was knocked out by a bottle thrown from the Kop. A sign of the times, perhaps, but in more ways than one. Upon being revived, Corrigan was warmly applauded by the Kop, shamed at the actions of one clown. And the keeper himself couldn't be doing with making a fuss of it. "They're fantastic people," he said after the game. "They've always been fair to me. I've been coming here for 12 years and this is the first time anything of this sort has happened."

:aok: