PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan-Story on the BBC

superfurryhibby
14-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Just noticed a news item on BBC Scotland website, involving allegation of breach of the peace and anti homosexual language after an incident at an Edinburgh nightclub. Another unfortunate episode in Deek's nightclubbing history. Maybe he should just give up the dancing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-19600518

Pretty Boy
14-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Waster

100+ goals

Unfulfilled talent

Hibs legend

Etc etc

cabbageandribs1875
14-09-2012, 12:36 PM
ooooh i'm sure some posters will be along sometime to tell us it's all lies :wink: and he was in 'insert place name' at the time of the incident :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
14-09-2012, 12:39 PM
What the hell was he doing at the Picture House on a monday night is the real question, thats for Thursdays...

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 12:41 PM
An occurence that happens dozens of times every weekend across the nightime economy in Edinburgh and wouldn't merit a mention on the BBC if it was Joe Bloggs.

Elephant Stone
14-09-2012, 12:45 PM
The door staff there behave like they're running a military operation, absolute bell-ends.

Beefster
14-09-2012, 12:46 PM
An occurence that happens dozens of times every weekend across the nightime economy in Edinburgh and wouldn't merit a mention on the BBC if it was Joe Bloggs.

That's the nature of fame and doesn't make the alleged offences any more acceptable.

cabbageandribs1875
14-09-2012, 12:48 PM
some doormen certainly do let the littlest bit of power go to their heads

banarc7062
14-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Do we really care what he does. Non news item imo

Hibercelona
14-09-2012, 12:54 PM
some doormen certainly do let the littlest bit of power go to their heads

And some are just doing their jobs while putting up with unacceptable levels of abuse.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 12:59 PM
That's the nature of fame and doesn't make the alleged offences any more acceptable.

I don't believe I said it did!

cabbageandribs1875
14-09-2012, 01:08 PM
And some are just doing their jobs while putting up with unacceptable levels of abuse.

that's also true :agree: i certainly wouldn't fancy taking all the crap that they have to put up with from drunken moronic t@ats

Hainan Hibs
14-09-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm sure the One Directionesque "Deeko" fan club will be out in force with OUTRAGE at (yet another) scandalous article out to get Jesus of Nazareth reincarnated:agree:

J-C
14-09-2012, 01:11 PM
that's also true :agree: i certainly wouldn't fancy taking all the crap that they have to put up with from drunken moronic t@ats

There's little point getting all ersy with doormen, specially if you're all bevvied up, remember they have little time for drunks and it's there jobsworth not to allow them into the clubs, plus roid up doormen have little patience and are a wee bit on the angry side. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
14-09-2012, 01:23 PM
The article mentions that he needs to stay out of Edinburgh city centre between 7pm and 7am as a bail condition. That seems a bit random. One thing banning folk from clubs etc, another saying that they can't be anywhere on the street. The big brother state is truly with us

Maybe explains why Deek hasn't got a club though?

VickMackie
14-09-2012, 01:31 PM
The article mentions that he needs to stay out of Edinburgh city centre between 7pm and 7am as a bail condition. That seems a bit random. One thing banning folk from clubs etc, another saying that they can't be anywhere on the street. The big brother state is truly with us

A friend of mine was involved in an incident outside hive and he was barred from niddrie

VickMackie
14-09-2012, 01:31 PM

A friend of mine was involved in an incident outside hive and he was barred from niddrie street on condition of his bail. At all times.

LancashireHibby
14-09-2012, 01:36 PM

A similar thing can also apply for footballing banning orders if the police deem it necessary and can provide proof that it may prevent any further incidents.

superfurryhibby
14-09-2012, 01:46 PM
A similar thing can also apply for footballing banning orders if the police deem it necessary and can provide proof that it may prevent any further incidents.

I can see the sense in football banning orders if the culprit has been associated with football related disorder etc. Equally, I understand that banning folk from nighclubs might be appropriate if that's where you cause bother, I just find a general ban from the city centre a bit too random, even if one was convicted of a crime.

Jones28
14-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Could he still do a job for us? ;)

Waster.

Bouncers there are awful, almost bad as the ones at the Hive

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I can see the sense in football banning orders if the culprit has been associated with football related disorder etc. Equally, I understand that banning folk from nighclubs might be appropriate if that's where you cause bother, I just find a general ban from the city centre a bit too random, even if one was convicted of a crime.

Lots of erses who end up before the courts on a regular basis due to committing crimes on a regular basis in the city centre get bail conditions banning them. Though with Deek I'm not even sure what convictions he has if any that would merit a city centre ban.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Could he still do a job for us? ;)

Waster.

Bouncers there are awful, almost bad as the ones at the Hive

I suppose it's how you judge a bouncer, I'm told by my son that bouncers at the Hive are plentiful, pretty strict and clamp down on any trouble pretty quickly which makes for a good night for everyone else!

Sean1875
14-09-2012, 02:06 PM

I work as a Doorman for a student union in Dundee and we've got a big book of people that are banned from Dundee City Centre and all clubs between the same hours, if they approach the door we have to call the police immediatly. Ive had a look through it and can honestly say theyre some of the scariest looking people ive ever seen :agree:

joe breezy
14-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm not homophobic or racist but when I was getting chucked out of a flash west End nightclub at one of Irvine's book launches it was clear the bouncers were East European.

:drunk:

Are you Polish? I asked as he manhandled me out of the door.

No I'm Lithuanian. My bevvied mind equated Lithuanians :Romanov: with Hearts :idea: so i decided to start singing 'Lithuanians are gay-ay'

:guesswho:

He didn't like it and ran towards me as I briefly hid behind a car. He was built like Dolph Lundgren in his hey day so I made off, as I approached a basement stairwell I launched myself head first down the steps and smashed my face into the steps.

:sairhead:

The Lithuanian gave up chase upon seeing that i had done myself in far better than he could have hoped himself.

An ambulance arrived

:taxi
and i was whisked away to hospital only to be told I'd have to wait 8 hours in A&E - signed myself out and crashed at a mates house near Brick Lane, woke up and my wrist was agony so went back to hospital where the Q was now smaller, and found I had broken my wrist.

Meanwhile my face had ballooned and I looked like the Elephant Man on a bad day.

:hide:

My wrist still gets sore sometimes.

That's why I'll never get self righteous when I read stories about Derek Riordan

Viking
14-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Story of Riordans life this. What an absolute waster.

I have had zero respect for riordan since he royally shafted Hibs.

Riordan GTF

Now I expect abuse from the Riordan lovers!! riordan is no Hibs legend and should not even be close to the same status as Stanton, Reilly, Sauzee etc.

whereswallace?
14-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm not homophobic or racist but when I was getting chucked out of a flash west End nightclub at one of Irvine's book launches it was clear the bouncers were East European.

No I'm Lithuanian. My bevvied mind equated Lithuanians :Romanov: with Hearts :idea: so i decided to start singing 'Lithuanians are gay-ay'

He didn't like it and ran towards me as I briefly hid behind a car. He was built like Dolph Lundgren in his hey day so I made off, as I approached a basement stairwell I launched myself head first down the steps and smashed my face into the steps.

The Lithuanian gave up chase upon seeing that i had done myself in far better than he could have hoped himself.

An ambulance arrived

and i was whisked away to hospital only to be told I'd have to wait 8 hours in A&E - signed myself out and crashed at a mates house near Brick Lane, woke up and my wrist was agony so went back to hospital where the Q was now smaller, and found I had broken my wrist.

Meanwhile my face had ballooned and I looked like the Elephant Man on a bad day.

That's why I'll never get self righteous when I read stories about Derek Riordan

:faf:

R'Albin
14-09-2012, 02:36 PM

An ambulance arrived

Brilliant :hilarious

Ozyhibby
14-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Riordan GTF

Now I expect abuse from the Riordan lovers!! riordan is no Hibs legend and should not even be close to the same status as Stanton, Reilly, Sauzee etc.

On my phone so can barely see it but is that George Best in you avatar? :-)

I do agree with you though.

Wembley67
14-09-2012, 02:49 PM

An ambulance arrived

Tool :top marks

allezsauzee
14-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Called a bouncer a big p00f and he's in court for it...deary dear

Sean1875
14-09-2012, 04:23 PM

If you went into a shop, and started acting aggressively with the workers and calling them poofs, would you not expect some sort of action? Don't understand why Doormen should be treated differently to normal every day staff, abuse in the workplace is out of order, no matter where you work.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2012, 05:13 PM
If you went into a shop, and started acting aggressively with the workers and calling them poofs, would you not expect some sort of action? Don't understand why Doormen should be treated differently to normal every day staff, abuse in the workplace is out of order, no matter where you work.

Whilst not disagreeing in principle most shop workers don't give as good as they get and invent reasons not to serve you.

nonshinyfinish
14-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Whilst not disagreeing in principle most shop workers don't give as good as they get and invent reasons not to serve you.

I got KBed from Lidl for not bringing my own bags. :boo hoo:

Wotherspiniesta
14-09-2012, 05:33 PM
A 29 year old teenager.

Time to grow up Derek.

SteveHFC
14-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Nice to see the usual comments on a Riordan thread :greengrin

hibsbollah
14-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Joe Breezy, legend :aok:

sadtom
14-09-2012, 06:03 PM

He should call on Jerry Sadowitz as his defence.

Jerry once eloquently explained that context and content of language varies throughout the country. As he put it "in Scotland Quientin Crisp is a homosexual. But Jimmy Hill's a f***ing p00f".

JohnStephens91
14-09-2012, 06:19 PM

I work in a bar and as such I have to KB people, there is no bouncer and it is quite daunting, it's not just inventing a reason, it's usually down to a culmination of safety for the individual, safety for the wider public and or the individual doing something relatively illegal ie caught sniffing cocaine previously and barred for life sort of thing. I don't think I've ever made up an excuse to not serve someone, most of the time they deserve it.

In the case of Riordan I can't comment as I wasn't there, but apparently he has been in the bar I work in and was actually the sensible one in his group of friends telling them to calm down and stop being so loud.

Sean1875
14-09-2012, 06:51 PM

I work in a bar and as such I have to KB people, there is no bouncer and it is quite daunting, it's not just inventing a reason, it's usually down to a culmination of safety for the individual, safety for the wider public and or the individual doing something relatively illegal ie caught sniffing cocaine previously and barred for life sort of thing. I don't think I've ever made up an excuse to not serve someone, most of the time they deserve it.

In the case of Riordan I can't comment as I wasn't there, but apparently he has been in the bar I work in and was actually the sensible one in his group of friends telling them to calm down and stop being so loud.

Exactly what S&S said. I doubt very much a doorman has ever randomly decided they were bored so decided to make up an excuse to not let someone in. I've refused many a person from venues purely because I believe they are unsuitable for the place. And without wanting to get too into licensing laws etc. but if your representing the licensee of the property, you have the right to refuse someone to the premises without legally having to give any reason for it :nerd:

Broken Gnome
14-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice to see the usual comments on a Riordan thread :greengrin

It's probably the same comments on the same incident that was in the press over four months ago :greengrin

We've already had this one, we doing it again on October 9 when the trial starts?

Pretty Boy
14-09-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm a bar manager mate so I know what erseholes some people can be. We're lucky that we are in an area that we don't need doormen most of the time and the odd occasion we do use them we use guys we've known for years who are good guys.

However I've also worked in places where the doormen have been a real problem for us, most of them are fine but a few seemed to take great pleasure in inventing their own policies that caused us no end of bother.

My personal favourite was the time I was refused entry to a well known George Street nightclub for being 'too drunk' despite having been teetotal for a year at the time (not the case now as a few folk on here could testify).

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm a bar manager mate so I know what erseholes some people can be. We're lucky that we are in an area that we don't need doormen most of the time and the odd occasion we do use them we use guys we've known for years who are good guys.

However I've also worked in places where the doormen have been a real problem for us, most of them are fine but a few seemed to take great pleasure in inventing their own policies that caused us no end of bother.

My personal favourite was the time I was refused entry to a well known George Street nightclub for being 'too drunk' despite having been teetotal for a year at the time (not the case now as a few folk on here could testify).

Out of interest do you use a small local company or one of the big boys? I use a relatively small company and though often contacted by some of the "big boys" I would never move.

Pretty Boy
14-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Out of interest do you use a small local company or one of the big boys? I use a relatively small company and though often contacted by some of the "big boys" I would never move.

Small company, founded and run by a mate of the bar owner.

We've got a good relationship with these guys and they know what we're about so its easy for both of us. They also get to know our regulars which is useful as well.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Small company, founded and run by a mate of the bar owner.

We've got a good relationship with these guys and they know what we're about so its easy for both of us. They also get to know our regulars which is useful as well.

OK cheers, sounds like something similar to what we have going though I have had to have a few removed from the door for just not being the image I want. Never any problem in doing so though which is good.

The Green Goblin
14-09-2012, 07:38 PM

That exact thing happened to me too. Some people just can't help being tools.

Northernhibee
14-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Tin hat on; I think Deek's career is over.

Whether or not what you think of him, IMO there are enough word of mouth stories going about to create serious doubts in clubs minds about him, and his spells in China and at St Johnstone were poor.

Only way for him I can see is find a division one or league two club and work his way up; if he's being turned down by Ross County that's a dire state of affairs.

Just_Jimmy
15-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I work as a Doorman for a student union in Dundee and we've got a big book of people that are banned from Dundee City Centre and all clubs between the same hours, if they approach the door we have to call the police immediatly. Ive had a look through it and can honestly say theyre some of the scariest looking people ive ever seen :agree:

I used to manage laings on the perth road between degrees and some of the punters you mention are properly wild.

As it is i'm back studying at dundee uni so should probably give you a shout sometime to talk hibs. We've got to stick together in a partisan town.

Sean1875
15-09-2012, 03:32 AM
I used to manage laings on the perth road between degrees and some of the punters you mention are properly wild.

As it is i'm back studying at dundee uni so should probably give you a shout sometime to talk hibs. We've got to stick together in a partisan town.

Cracking beer garden :aok: Although should probably be called more of a beer field from the size of it :greengrin Hibs chat is always welcome though :flag:

Steve-O
15-09-2012, 05:56 AM
I suppose it's how you judge a bouncer, I'm told by my son that bouncers at the Hive are plentiful, pretty strict and clamp down uon any trouble pretty quickly which makes for a good night for everyone else!

On the contrary, they are overly aggressive clowns who will do some real damage one day. And that is from personal experience.

Lucius Apuleius
15-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Interesting statement. Presume it is ok to call football players pretty nasty names though?

MrRobot
15-09-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm sure this actually happened like 2 months ago. Non-story.

H18sry
15-09-2012, 08:10 AM
http://www.scotzine.com/2012/09/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-derek-riordan/

Given his unquestionable ability and goal-scoring record, it would appear perplexing that he has failed find a club since leaving St. Johnstone at the end of last season. Riordan is currently training with Kilmarnock – with manager Kenny Shiels insisting the club are only providing facilities for him to maintain his fitness – following unsuccessful trials with an unnamed La Liga club, MK Dons, and Ross County this summer, a scenario which none would have predicted when Riordan emerged from the Hibs youth system just over a decade ago.

His first spell at Easter Road brought 64 goals in 146 appearances. None were more memorable than the forward’s first goal against Hearts: Riordan drifted in from the left hand side and curled a beautiful shot past Craig Gordon into the top right hand corner. Riordan was voted the Scottish PFA Young Player of The Year in 2005 and won a call up to the international squad later that year; however, in that same year Riordan caused controversy when he was caught on video chanting racist abuse about Hearts’ Rudi Skacel.

Riordan won himself a move to Celtic in 2006 on the back of three seasons in which he had finished as Hibs’ top goal-scorer. Eight goals in 13 starts in all competitions for Celtic illustrates his penchant for finding the back of the net; however, Riordan remained aloof from Celtic manager Gordon Strachan’s first team, despite the manager describing him as the most natural finisher at the club.

Controversy again courted Riordan in 2008. He was banned from all Edinburgh pubs and clubs following an altercation with door staff at a nightclub. The ban was then extended in November of the same year after he allegedly punched someone in another nightclub.

Incidents like these are likely to have contributed to Strachan’s uneasy relationship with Riordan, which explains his reluctance to play him despite comments made over his ability.

Two years of playing little football stinted Riordan’s progression at a time when his game was still developing; however, even the most sage would not have predicted that his move to Celtic would be so unsuccessful and frustrating.

Riordan was offered a chance to resuscitate his career in a place he had always appeared most comfortable, Easter Road, when then Hibs manager Mixu Paatelainen signed the forward in 2008. Statistically Riordan’s second spell with Hibs was almost as successful as his first: he finished as top goal-scorer in two of the three seasons he was with the club, despite often being deployed in a mid-field left position. In December 2009 “Deeks” reached a landmark century of goals in the green and white of Hibs. Riordan was even named Captain under Colin Calderwood and scored the winner the last time Hibs defeated Hearts – scoring a penalty in a 0-1 win at Tynecastle in 2009.

At the end of the 2010/11 season – in which Riordan had once again finished as Hibs’ top scorer – he signed a two-year contract with Chinese Super League club Shaanxi Chan-Ba.

However, the Scot failed to adapt in the foreign environment and his contract was mutually terminated after only five months, in which he made nine appearances and scored just once.

Riordan ended the 2011/12 season with St. Johnstone, having signed for the club in March on a short-term deal. In May, Riordan again found himself in trouble with the law following an alleged confrontation with door staff at an Edinburgh nightclub. Four appearances and zero goals, and that off-field incident, left the club and player happy to part ways. Riordan’s career is dominated by a certain idiosyncrasy which is not uncommon in the world of football: he has never seemed entirely comfortable or performed with such distinction when wearing a shirt other than that of the green and white of Hibs.

Failure to establish himself as a regular Scotland international stems largely from his style of play: he is lazy and sulks and has a slender frame, as well as off-field issues. This may be another reason why clubs are unwilling to offer a contract to him, given the nature and history of the style of football played in Scotland. Yet, at Hibs, his cultured left foot and natural goal-scoring prowess rendered these flaws permissive.

Riordan’s natural ability should never be doubted. However, it is his off-field behaviour, style of play, and patchy record away from Easter Road which are deterring potential clubs.

At the age of 29 the next move he makes will be a crucial one. Alleged rejection of an approach by Rangers over the summer suggests that Riordan is not moved entirely by financial gain and is still hungry to play at the highest level he can. Nonetheless, this does not imply that Riordan will settle for a wage below what he considers himself worthy of – which is another stumbling block to agreeing a deal with a new club.

If a suitor can find the funds, coax Riordan back to fitness, manage his off-field behaviour, and accommodate his style of play, they will be rewarded with the thing Riordan provides best: goals – scored and assisted.

The talents of Derek Riordan may be discarded by those who claim that he is a “wasted talent;” - and there may be some credence to that accusation - however, the majority of Hibs fans will profess him to be as gifted a player as any other they have seen grace the turf at Easter Road.

Written by Steven Ballantyne

IWasThere2016
15-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Balanced piece by Ballantyne.

IMHO, Derek needs to change something - his lifestyle/circle of friends - just something to get back to his best. I'd still want him home doing what he does best for the Hibs.

Jones28
15-09-2012, 08:37 AM
I suppose it's how you judge a bouncer, I'm told by my son that bouncers at the Hive are plentiful, pretty strict and clamp down on any trouble pretty quickly which makes for a good night for everyone else!

Just my experience, I was grabbed by one, shoved against a wall and asked if I was "going to be a dick". This was about 5 minutes after arriving and I had only had a couple of pints at the tiBme. Not sure what his problem was. Your son is right though, when tere is any trouble they're very quick to sort it out.

By the same token I went to shanghai last night on George street and found the bouncers to be polar opposite to those at hive/picture house: civil, professional and not at all intimidating

Steve-O
15-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm sure this actually happened like 2 months ago. Non-story.

Yes, he's been on bail and is now about to go on trial, so hardly a non-story.

Bostonhibby
15-09-2012, 09:54 AM

:greengrin reminds me of the time in the 80's after an away win at Motherwell. My mate, his brother and I got lobbed out of a pub with "security" in the early evening, there was a bit of shoving but we left, we had only just begun drinking so when we were outside I challenged the yeti in a crombie to explain what had caused his finely honed security skills to pick us out.

He mumbled a bit to his associate then they decided we had been "standing" and shoved my mates brother, who produced his Lothian & Borders Police Warrant card - he was in the CID - he made a big show of taking details of said Erse, his employer etc then we had a laugh and went to a real pub.

NOLA
15-09-2012, 10:22 AM

An ambulance arrived

:greengrin that was funny

Scouse Hibee
15-09-2012, 11:09 AM
On the contrary, they are overly aggressive clowns who will do some real damage one day. And that is from personal experience.

Is that a generalisation of bouncers or are you referring to the bouncers at the hive?

ScottB
15-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Whether Bouncers in any given place are aggressive / idiots / whatever is an utter irrelevance, Riordan has made a name for himself, rightly or wrongly, with his past actions and bans. His setting foot, or even trying to set foot in a nightclub in Edinburgh is just stupid on his part, he has painted a giant target on his back even if he does behave himself.

Its just another symptom of the wider problem that has dogged his career, he's his own worst enemy and it seems he never learns. Best thing he could do right now is sign for Ross County and move there.

Steve-O
15-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Is that a generalisation of bouncers or are you referring to the bouncers at the hive?

Hive.

CraigHibee
15-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Deek needs to learn to screw the nut, he isnt getting any younger and if he wants to keep his trade as a "proffesional" footballer then he needs to change a few things, only he knows what he has to change and he needs to do it sooner rather than later for the sake of his career.

i loved deek when he played for us but he has gone downhill since and it is a shame as he definitely has a talent but, its being wasted at the moment.

Jones28
15-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Whether Bouncers in any given place are aggressive / idiots / whatever is an utter irrelevance, Riordan has made a name for himself, rightly or wrongly, with his past actions and bans. His setting foot, or even trying to set foot in a nightclub in Edinburgh is just stupid on his part, he has painted a giant target on his back even if he does behave himself.

Its just another symptom of the wider problem that has dogged his career, he's his own worst enemy and it seems he never learns. Best thing he could do right now is sign for Ross County and move there.

He has done the same off the pitch as GOC did last season on the pitch, made a name for himself (as GOC did when diving) and now bouncers (referees) either look for things or are very quick to take action against them

Lee0762
15-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Probably not the best idea by the Record today to give out Deeks address in the story.
MON THE HIBEES today though!:flag::pfgwa

Dashing Bob S
15-09-2012, 02:59 PM

An ambulance arrived

Absolutely wonderful stuff. The kind of post that makes me feel so much better about my own nightclub behaviour.

lord bunberry
15-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Riordan GTF

Riordan gtf deary me my memories of deeks are of a hibee living the dream he has his faults but to be honest i couldn't care less he will always be a legend in my eyes

stoneyburn hibs
15-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Riordan gtf deary me my memories of deeks are of a hibee living the dream he has his faults but to be honest i couldn't care less he will always be a legend in my eyes

:agree: and i will say that the Edinburgh bouncers have the same rep as Edinburgh traffic wardens , most of them are welts by a long shot .

heidtheba
16-09-2012, 05:48 PM
In my day (mid/late 90s) the best bouncers were at the Rutland - including one lady bouncer who took no crap but was very very professional and courteous.
Worst was the Kitchen in the Cowgate. Couple of great bouncers but one night I had the misfortune to get on the wrong side of two new guys on the door. As I was going in one of them said something to me, he had a strong Irish accent and I couldn't work out what he was saying. I thought he was asking for ID so I got the card out and his mate said (in a verrrrrry patronising voice) "Naw MATE, he said 'alright', you just need to say 'alright' back". He then turned to the Irish guy and said "Keep your eye on him, he looks like causing trouble".
At this point I was 80 percent offended and 20 percent chuffed. I'm a lanky streak of XXXX (well, was back then), had no history of any issues with the police and had never been in a fight, being told I looked like trouble was a bit flattering given my weedy stature and history.
Oh yeah, chuck in the fact that I was doing Primary School teaching at Moray House and that at that time I was in charge of a nursery and the bouncer couldn't have been further off the mark.
Needless to say I spent a night getting bouncers giving me the evils.
Joy
So, chuck in Riordan with his reputation and I'll hold back on judging him until the verdict comes out at the trial. Innocent until proven etc.
Still, he hasn't helped himself in the past but each case needs reviewed on its own.

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Take he's still barred from the Norhet.

Sudds_1
16-09-2012, 06:13 PM
so, he's not the Pilton Messiah,

He's just a very naughty boy :greengrin

LeighLoyal
16-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Total joke this country has become. DR called some troglodyte bouncer a queer and is up in front of a judge. :confused: This is where my taxes are spent? No wonder the country is broke.

VickMackie
16-09-2012, 07:01 PM
In my day (mid/late 90s) the best bouncers were at the Rutland - including one lady bouncer who took no crap but was very very professional and courteous.
Worst was the Kitchen in the Cowgate. Couple of great bouncers but one night I had the misfortune to get on the wrong side of two new guys on the door. As I was going in one of them said something to me, he had a strong Irish accent and I couldn't work out what he was saying. I thought he was asking for ID so I got the card out and his mate said (in a verrrrrry patronising voice) "Naw MATE, he said 'alright', you just need to say 'alright' back". He then turned to the Irish guy and said "Keep your eye on him, he looks like causing trouble".
At this point I was 80 percent offended and 20 percent chuffed. I'm a lanky streak of XXXX (well, was back then), had no history of any issues with the police and had never been in a fight, being told I looked like trouble was a bit flattering given my weedy stature and history.
Oh yeah, chuck in the fact that I was doing Primary School teaching at Moray House and that at that time I was in charge of a nursery and the bouncer couldn't have been further off the mark.
Needless to say I spent a night getting bouncers giving me the evils.
Joy
So, chuck in Riordan with his reputation and I'll hold back on judging him until the verdict comes out at the trial. Innocent until proven etc.
Still, he hasn't helped himself in the past but each case needs reviewed on its own.

TBH I wouldn't even judge him on a charge. I've been charged, and convicted, of something that wasn't my fault but too many lying 'witnesses'.

I'd never judge many people through a conviction.

Phil D. Rolls
16-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Total joke this country has become. DR called some troglodyte bouncer a queer and is up in front of a judge. :confused: This is where my taxes are spent? No wonder the country is broke.

Loving your work FH. :aok: (Perhaps you could bring in the Paralympics as well?)

The Green Goblin
16-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Loving your work FH. :aok: (Perhaps you could bring in the Paralympics as well?)

:greengrin.

silverhibee
16-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Take he's still barred from the Norhet.

Never has been, Squarey has no problem with him.

Phil D. Rolls
17-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Never has been, Squarey has no problem with him.

Happy to stand corrected. :aok:

RIP
17-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Derek is approaching 30 with a partner, house and young child.

He is also a gifted athlete with skills that could still have him near the top of his profession

Do you really think he would still be going to nightclubs with a bunch of lads if he was in any way able to take those responsibilities seriously. Speaking as someone who took till his fifth decade to screw the nut, stick in at a joab, start a family, buy a hoose it doesn't occur to all of us to screw the nut when we are 29. Thankfully for me it wisnae too late but then I'm not in a career where you are long finished by age 40 (with 1 or 2 exceptions).

I just hope he is doing his coaching badges and is a good father to his young daughter. It's about choices now so I hope he has a good support network of family and friends to advise him