PDA

View Full Version : NHC Clayton Donaldson

thebakerboy
13-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Currently on SP1 playing for Brentford against Leyton Orient , commentator says he has scored 10 in last 16 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeighLoyal
13-09-2012, 07:32 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19587327

Sodje has also scored four times for PNE so far this season, they're desperate to keep him.

Cabbage East
13-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Currently on SP1 playing for Brentford against Leyton Orient , commentator says he has scored 10 in last 16 games!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!

And?

thebakerboy
13-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Nothing really just shows that players do find their levels and clubs. Wish we had someone who had scored 10 goals in last 16 games though.

steakbake
13-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Question is: why couldn't they do it for us? They didn't and they've moved on. Done.

frazeHFC
13-09-2012, 08:52 PM
He has done brilliantly in the last few seasons. Not surprised Sodje is scoring goals either, i like him a lot.

Postman
13-09-2012, 09:04 PM
He has done brilliantly in the last few seasons. Not surprised Sodje is scoring goals either, i like him a lot.

Sodje is hard working and likeable for that reason but really wasn't that good!

Hit more shots into row Z than any striker I can remember

Cabbage East
13-09-2012, 09:27 PM
He's playing for Brentford, not Bayern Munich.

NOLA
13-09-2012, 09:39 PM
nearer hibs level then. whats MAC up to nowadays while we're at it :greengrin

ballengeich
13-09-2012, 09:45 PM
These players have dropped down from Hibs and found their level in English league 1 or 2. The SPL is better than the English media tell us.

Cocaine&Caviar
13-09-2012, 10:02 PM
These players have dropped down from Hibs and found their level in English league 1 or 2. The SPL is better than the English media tell us.

Celtic - Bottom 4 Prem

Hearts, Dundee Utd - Mid/Lower Champ
Killie, Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell - L1
The Rest L2

IMO.

nonshinyfinish
13-09-2012, 10:03 PM

I reckon Gomez and Schweini could do a job for us.

Postman
13-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Celtic - Bottom 4 Prem

The Rest L2

IMO.

No idea how you can come up with that. Based on what?

Motherwell who finished best of the rest last year and are top just now a league below Hearts??

Cabbage East
13-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Celtic - Bottom 4 Prem

The Rest L2

IMO.

Dear god. Utter dross. You've been listening to what sky sports tell you. The SPL is no worse than the English championship. SPL equivalent to the English 4th tier, ok mate :faf:

The 12 team SPL spans 4 tiers of English football :faf:

Wow :faf:

Cocaine&Caviar
13-09-2012, 11:06 PM
No idea how you can come up with that. Based on what?

Motherwell who finished best of the rest last year and are top just now a league below Hearts??

General Squads, Fan Base, Facilities etc

Dear god. Utter dross. You've been listening to what sky sports tell you. The SPL is no worse than the English championship.
The 12 team SPL spans 4 tiers of English football

Wow
Utter Dross? Everyone has their own opinions, ive seen a lot of SPL, Championship & L1, and the basic standards of some SPL attacking play really is woeful. The amount of times you'll see a team counter attacking and every player just runs as fast as they can, head down into the box. Id wager that a huge % of SPL goals actually come from moments of individual talent or mistakes by defences, a lot more than down south.

The part in bold is particuarly B*llocks, the Championship is an ultra competetive league, where literally 14 teams could get promoted, and the general standard of player is much higher than up here.

& as for L1, there are some huge clubs in there, last season it featured Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Charlton, Peterbrough etc, very big clubs. ALSO, look at Norwich and Southampton, both very recently in L1. This season you have the likes of

Coventry, 11,000
Pompey 15,000
Swindon 12,000
Sheff Utd 18,000
Preston 10,000
MK Dons 10,000

SPL equivalent to the English 4th tier, ok mate

The likes of Hamilton and Gretna in recent times, Yes.

League 2 Average Attendances:

Rotherham 12,000
Chesterfield 6,000
Oxford 6,500
Bristol Rovers 7,000
Bradford 10,000
Plymouth 6,500

These are comparable, if not better than the likes of Motherwell & Killie.

Take your Tri-Colour and laugh somewhere else eh.

hibs4life
13-09-2012, 11:25 PM

Utter Dross? Everyone has their own opinions, ive seen a lot of SPL, Championship & L1, and the basic standards of some SPL attacking play really is woeful. The amount of times you'll see a team counter attacking and every player just runs as fast as they can, head down into the box. Id wager that a huge % of SPL goals actually come from moments of individual talent or mistakes by defences, a lot more than down south.

The part in bold is particuarly B*llocks, the Championship is an ultra competetive league, where literally 14 teams could get promoted, and the general standard of player is much higher than up here.

& as for L1, there are some huge clubs in there, last season it featured Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Charlton, Peterbrough etc, very big clubs. ALSO, look at Norwich and Southampton, both very recently in L1. This season you have the likes of

Coventry, 11,000
Pompey 15,000
Swindon 12,000
Sheff Utd 18,000
Preston 10,000
MK Dons 10,000

Rotherham 12,000
Chesterfield 6,000
Oxford 6,500
Bristol Rovers 7,000
Bradford 10,000
Plymouth 6,500

Peterborough as a very big club? Less than 10, 000 average attendance last year and even lower seasons before. You clearly are basing your argument on opinion rather than facts.
I don't quite believe this stuff about how the Championship is so much better than the SPL. Seems to me SPL players that go to there seem to do OK...

jamieross
13-09-2012, 11:33 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19587327

Sodje has also scored four times for PNE so far this season, they're desperate to keep him.

Good to see really, I liked him at his time here and thought he had it a bit rough last season tbh. :agree:

jacomo
14-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Dear god. Utter dross. You've been listening to what sky sports tell you. The SPL is no worse than the English championship. SPL equivalent to the English 4th tier, ok mate :faf:

This post is laughable. The standard of football in the SPL is very poor. Donaldson and Sodje could both do a job up here.

On the other hand, the Championship is pretty much bankrupt, with most clubs spending way beyond their means. In the end, it all comes down to money.

Give Hibs £40m next season (the minimum a club earns from a single season in the EPL) and where could we be?

JohnStephens91
14-09-2012, 12:23 AM
The SPL doesn't get the credit it deserves, so many people are ready and willing to bash it and knock it down. I reckon many of the SPL clubs could survive in the Championship, it is the level we are at just now as a league. There are a few anomalies ie Celtic at the top and Dundee, but I'd say the 11 of our 12 teams could survive and compete in the Championship.

For us alone our starting 11 is more than capable of doing well in the Championship and I reckon we would be in with a shout at promotion from League 1. Just because we get less TV coverage does not mean the SPL is a dire league.

Spudster
14-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Currently on SP1 playing for Brentford against Leyton Orient , commentator says he has scored 10 in last 16 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
File under "players who never got a fair chance"

Geo_1875
14-09-2012, 05:14 AM
This post is laughable. The standard of football in the SPL is very poor. Donaldson and Sodje could both do a job up here.

On the other hand, the Championship is pretty much bankrupt, with most clubs spending way beyond their means. In the end, it all comes down to money.

Give Hibs £40m next season (the minimum a club earns from a single season in the EPL) and where could we be?

I wonder why nobody in Scotland has ever taken a chance and Signed either of these guys?

Postman
14-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Based on what? Their failure to do a job when they were up here??

Postman
14-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Sorry, Facilities play what part in what in what league a team would play in?

Also, if fanbase is important then what the hell are Wigan doing in the EPL? Current playing squad is all that actually counts!

500miles
14-09-2012, 08:10 AM

Sodje was a pretty effective front man. Missed some sitters, but still scored plenty. Limited in ability, but made the most of it.

Hainan Hibs
14-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Only a fair comparison could be made once Scottish football had the amount of cash that is on other down south.

Good to see the likes of Donaldson do well, however it just didn't work out at Hibs.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Sodje was a pretty effective front man. Missed some sitters, but still scored plenty. Limited in ability, but made the most of it.

:agree: and what I've seen so far from Kuqi including the U20 game we would have been better off keeping him.

Franck Stanton
14-09-2012, 09:18 AM
:agree: and what I've seen so far from Kuqi including the U20 game we would have been better off keeping him.

To be fair, we haven't seen enough of him to pass comment now have we ?. Once he gets up to speed, fitness-wise and gets a few games under his belt, then we can compair them. Lets give the lad a chance before decrying him eh.

allezsauzee
14-09-2012, 09:21 AM
File under 'not good enough for Hibs'

frazeHFC
14-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Sodje is hard working and likeable for that reason but really wasn't that good!

Hit more shots into row Z than any striker I can remember

He was pretty strong, fast and could score goals. We have had A LOT of worse strikers in recent years. :agree:

superfurryhibby
14-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Agreed. Sodje did a job when we needed it. I found it strange that we got rid of him.

Donaldson was raw and I thought he had potential. Never really had much of a chance but clearly knows the way to the goals.

In general I would have to say that the standard of the SPL is fairly appalling. European defeats to minnow teams from countries with far less football pedigree have become the norm in recent years. Comparing the standard to English football isn't straightforward with money being a huge factor. As someone has pointed out, there have been a fair number of Scottish players going down there and doing well at Championship level. These are guys who were probably the best of the SPL who were either not on the Old Firm radar or who didn't quite cut it at one of then uglies.

My view is that none of the SPL, apart from Celtic, would survive at championship level.

jacomo
14-09-2012, 11:57 AM

For all sorts of reasons, Hibs have failed to get the best out of some of the players who have passed through our way. Yet somehow the players are always dismissed as "not good enough" without any understanding of these contributing factors.

We need to challenge this mindset if we are to progress as a club. I do think Fenlon understands this.

Hibercelona
14-09-2012, 12:00 PM
These are 2 very good players that couldn't do a job for us for the simple fact that they were surrounded by complete dross.

Phil MaGlass
14-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Coventry, 11,000
Pompey 15,000
Swindon 12,000
Sheff Utd 18,000
Preston 10,000
MK Dons 10,000

Rotherham 12,000
Chesterfield 6,000
Oxford 6,500
Bristol Rovers 7,000
Bradford 10,000
Plymouth 6,500

Take your Tri-Colour and laugh somewhere else eh.

Not comparable, size of the crowds dont mean alot.

Cocaine&Caviar
14-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Not comparable, size of the crowds doesn't mean alot.

For individual results no, but its a representation of the size of a club.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2012, 12:25 PM
To be fair, we haven't seen enough of him to pass comment now have we ?. Once he gets up to speed, fitness-wise and gets a few games under his belt, then we can compair them. Lets give the lad a chance before decrying him eh.

Do the words "so far" mean anything to you?

I can't pass comment on something that hasn't happened yet but I can pass comment on what I have witnessed "so far" if that's okay with you.

tamig
14-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Watched a bit of the game last night and the player that caught my eye was Lisbie the Orient striker. Old fashioned centre forward type with a fair turn of pace. Looked strong as an ox and he never lost the ball in the air - despite not looking a giant. I see he's 33 now though so probably not one we'll see here.

Clayton Donaldson's hair looked good though.

Jonnyboy
14-09-2012, 07:05 PM

We'd have the corners filled in, undersoil heating at East Mains and the FF and South Stands would be ripped down and rebuilt. Still have the same players though :wink:

Alfred E Newman
14-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Of course it doesn't, there are 56m people to draw on down there compared with 5m up here.

--------
16-09-2012, 05:08 PM

Yup. I watched that game too - it was utter dross. Slo-mo hoofball.

--------
16-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Agree. :agree:

We know what Sodje could do - he was a fairly basic but reasonably effective striker; he had the weight and strength to put himself about and rough up defenders, and he scored reasonably regularly. I don't know why PF punted him - we'd be a lot better off with him on our books right now.

Kuqi - if and when he gets fit enough to play - may or may not measure up to Sodje's record. The jury's still out on the subject.

And on Friday night Donaldson showed little or nothing to suggest he could do a job for us - anonymous for the most part in a truly dreadful game.

nonshinyfinish
17-09-2012, 08:30 PM
We'd have the corners filled in, undersoil heating at East Mains and the FF and South Stands would be ripped down and rebuilt. Still have the same players though :wink:

How could you forget football's first combined retractable roof/helipad?

basehibby
17-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Actually, you're the one looking ridiculous here - head for head of population the SPL SHOULD pretty much be compared with the top 4 teirs of English football if you're looking for a meaningful comparison.

Up til about 20 years ago when the SKY TV money distorted things, the SPL probably punched above it's weight, comparing pretty well to the top 3 teirs in England - these days from bottom of the EPL down to league 2 (and even conference) is probably a bit more like reality.

Bostonhibby
17-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Agreed. Sodje did a job when we needed it. I found it strange that we got rid of him.

Donaldson was raw and I thought he had potential. Never really had much of a chance but clearly knows the way to the goals.

In general I would have to say that the standard of the SPL is fairly appalling. European defeats to minnow teams from countries with far less football pedigree have become the norm in recent years. Comparing the standard to English football isn't straightforward with money being a huge factor. As someone has pointed out, there have been a fair number of Scottish players going down there and doing well at Championship level. These are guys who were probably the best of the SPL who were either not on the Old Firm radar or who didn't quite cut it at one of then uglies.

My view is that none of the SPL, apart from Celtic, would survive at championship level.

Attend quite a few random English games outside EPL and I agree with this, especially the bit about Donaldson, knocked them in everywhere he has been and he is an improving player. File under one who we might have got rid of too quick. He wasn't with us at the best time to be fair.

Bostonhibby
17-09-2012, 09:24 PM

:faf: Then, and only then can we start sorting out the catering to match everything else. Suckling pig on a platter, Swan burgers and quails egg pieces served by Nubian hand maidens is surely the minimum target for a sporting emporium of the sort we have been investing in. If we leave this last detail unfinished we will surely be a laughing stock.

The profits generated from this sort of fare can then be earmarked for the improvement of the non property side of the business (footballers) :wink:

Jonnyboy
17-09-2012, 11:14 PM

Bugger. I knew I'd forgotten something :greengrin

Squealing pig
18-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Exactly look at the population difference.