PDA

View Full Version : Goalies

beensaidbefore
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Seeing as the 'offside' thread is causing so much debate, I thought id throw this into the mix too.

Last night Macedonias goalie, caught the ball at the by-line, then ran to the edge of the box, before holding onto the ball for about 10 seconds.

I take it from that that the 5 steps for a goalie and/or 5-seconds rule no longer exist?

BoltonHibee
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Never heard of either 5 steps or 5 seconds. Where did you get that from?

soupy
12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
3 steps and 6 seconds???

Pretty Boy
12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Think it was a 4 step rule and that was abolished in about 2001/02.

Not sure if the 6 second rule still exists but I've never seen a referee enforce it.

Lucius Apuleius
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Think it was a 4 step rule and that was abolished in about 2001/02.

Not sure if the 6 second rule still exists but I've never seen a referee enforce it.

Unfortunately it has been used against us at ER.

BoltonHibee
12-09-2012, 05:59 PM
It's as many steps as you like. 6 second rule very rarely enforced but it can be

beensaidbefore
12-09-2012, 05:59 PM

there were 2 seperate rules introduced: one syaing a goalie can only hold onto the ball for 5 seconds. The other was 5 steps with the ball in their hands. not sure if one replaced the other, and if either of them are still in existence hence the question.

soupy
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
It's as many steps as you like. 6 second rule very rarely enforced but it can be

When I posted I meant the old laws,, should have stated that...

O'Rourke3
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately it has been used against us at ER.

And we stood accused by Kenny Sheils when we beat them last year. He had Stack holding onto the ball for about 20mins........

beensaidbefore
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Where have you been? Youv never heard of these rules. Call yourself a football fan....

BoltonHibee
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Where have you been? Youv never heard of these rules. Call yourself a football fan....

Not sure how I've missed those but I certainly don't ever recall them

beensaidbefore
12-09-2012, 06:12 PM

lol, to be fair, as previous posters have stated, they were seldom enforced effectively rendering them useless. Wouldn't be like fifa/uefa to change things just for changes sake!!

BoltonHibee
12-09-2012, 06:19 PM
lol, to be fair, as previous posters have stated, they were seldom enforced effectively rendering them useless. Wouldn't be like fifa/uefa to change things just for changes sake!!

:) I do remember 4 steps being a rule many moons ago

givescotlandfreedom
12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
And we stood accused by Kenny Sheils when we beat them last year. He had Stack holding onto the ball for about 20mins........

Someone should ask him the rule on Saturday. With they lugs he won't any bother hearing you.

littleplum
12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
there were 2 seperate rules introduced: one syaing a goalie can only hold onto the ball for 5 seconds. The other was 5 steps with the ball in their hands. not sure if one replaced the other, and if either of them are still in existence hence the question.

I think it was four steps and that was scrapped about 15 years in favour of a 'six second rule' which is still in force. I don't remember any incident during the Macedonia game (although I wasn't glued to the screen throughout) but I keep an eye on this rule and would say that, if you count properly, goalies rarely get close to six seconds- normally sticking it on the ground well before then. When I used to referee (which is a few years ago now) the advice I recall getting was along the lines of 'let them get to their feet, count from zero and if they haven't released by the time you reach seven blow your whistle.' I don't know if that is still the advice or whether they're told to take action only if the goalie's taking the p*ss.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

beensaidbefore
12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I think it was four steps and that was scrapped about 15 years in favour of a 'six second rule' which is still in force. I don't remember any incident during the Macedonia game (although I wasn't glued to the screen throughout) but I keep an eye on this rule and would say that, if you count properly, goalies rarely get close to six seconds- normally sticking it on the ground well before then. When I used to referee (which is a few years ago now) the advice I recall getting was along the lines of 'let them get to their feet, count from zero and if they haven't released by the time you reach seven blow your whistle.' I don't know if that is still the advice or whether they're told to take action only if the goalie's taking the p*ss.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

Thanks, most comprehensive answer yet. It was in the first half at some point, he caught the ball on the line ran 18yds with it, then had to wait (what seemed like ages) while all the players got out the box!

Glory Lurker
12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
We have seen this enforced before - I think Hibs were one of the first teams to benefit from it. Game at Tannadice in 1997. Not sure if it was the league or League Cup - we played them twice in a couple of weeks IIRC. It was live on telly, though, so I think it would have been the league. Sieb Dykstra held on to the ball too long, and we got an indirect free kick. I think Chico passed it to Paul Tosh for him to score. Game ended either 1-1 or we lost 2-1 (depending on whether it was the league or league cup) and even if it was 1-1 I remember thinking that we were flattering to deceive a bit with our early form......

Leishy1995
12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Ref gave my under 19 team a talk before the game a few weeks back. He said FIFA wants to enforce this rule more.

lyonhibs
12-09-2012, 09:39 PM
I almost got pulled up for taking longer than 6 seconds at a game here in Switzerland a couple of weeks back, and if there's one country in the world where there sure to know FIFA's regulations................ :greengrin

ozhibs
12-09-2012, 10:11 PM

I thought you would have remembered the Hibs Goalie (wilson I think) getting picked up on the 4/5 step rule against leeds in the fairs cup against leeds.They scored from the resulting goal and we got put out on the away goal rule. If I recall correctly :-)

Jim44
13-09-2012, 06:13 AM
I thought you would have remembered the Hibs Goalie (wilson I think) getting picked up on the 4/5 step rule against leeds in the fairs cup against leeds.They scored from the resulting goal and we got put out on the away goal rule. If I recall correctly :-)

Off topic but this Leeds game was the one that started my hatred of them and Billy Bremner in particular. Their and his negative, taunting, 90 minute time-wasting tactics were the worst I have ever witnessed on
a football pitch and to this day I think we were cheated out of that game.

Greendub
13-09-2012, 07:20 AM
My goalie always get done by it on FIFA :@

Mikeystewart
13-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Seeing as the 'offside' thread is causing so much debate, I thought id throw this into the mix too.

Last night Macedonias goalie, caught the ball at the by-line, then ran to the edge of the box, before holding onto the ball for about 10 seconds.

I take it from that that the 5 steps for a goalie and/or 5-seconds rule no longer exist?

I've only heard that rule when playing 5 a side at the pits. I think in reality its up to the ref with no set time, could be wrong.

littleplum
13-09-2012, 10:12 AM
There's an interesting history of the laws regarding goalkeeper time-wasting on the FIFA site. Note that it is quite old though and the laws have since been amended as indicated in my previous post.

http://www.fifa.com/newscentre/news/newsid=72050/index.html

StevieT
13-09-2012, 11:09 AM
If a goalkeeper is holding on to the ball too long I will always shout towards them to hurry it up. Next time I am close to him / her I will have a word and tell them that if they don't release the ball quick enough then I will award a free kick. Works every time.

nribs
14-09-2012, 11:26 AM
If a goalkeeper is holding on to the ball too long I will always shout towards them to hurry it up. Next time I am close to him / her I will have a word and tell them that if they don't release the ball quick enough then I will award a free kick. Works every time.

Bet you it doesnt!

sambajustice
14-09-2012, 12:15 PM
2 stories about this:

1. We "won" a 6 second free kick up at tannadice, 2nd game of the season, the season we went down, we drew 1-1 and scored from that free kick (it was indirect but you know what I mean) I'm pretty sure thats what happened anyway!

2. Played in the infamous Brian Latto sunday morning league. Now this was proper sunday league, turn up 5 mins before kick off, no nets, beer mats for shin pads type stuff. Anyway, was playing at Saughton one day on the pitch that slopes from side to side, there was a gale blowing towards one goal (the park side, not the road side). Naturally the team playing with the wind were taking pot shots from anywhere and our keeper at the time, who is a good guy but every 2nd word out his mouth is an expletive was getting irritated he had to keep running miles for the ball. After about the 3rd or 4th time this happened, the ref who just happened to be Brian, told him to hurry up. This was met with a "****** sake Brian" from the keeper. He put the ball down, took the goal kick, it didnt go far and one of the other team hit it first time away miles out the park and the keeper had to go running again only about 20 seconds after he got back. When the keeper finally returned Brian told him if he didnt hurry up he'd award a free kick against him, cue a tirade of expletives, "****** sake Brian, you ******ing a***hole, just had to ******ing run for the ******ing ball, 5 times in a ******ing row away over there you ******ing idiot" We just peed ourselves laughing and Brian met this with "C'mon now Mr Simpson, less of that Rangers talk"

To be fair, our keeper had a point, he was basically running for miles to get the ball, took a goal kick, because of the wind we couldnt get it very far, a pot shot would come in and the ball would go miles again and he'd be off sprinting for it once more!! He was knackered then Brian was basically accusing him of wasting time!!

Other people here who have experienced Mr Latto will be able to relate to this tale! :greengrin

StevieT
14-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Bet you it doesnt!

Bet you it does. I have never had to award a free kick for this offence.

MB62
14-09-2012, 01:02 PM
2 stories about this:

1. We "won" a 6 second free kick up at tannadice, 2nd game of the season, the season we went down, we drew 1-1 and scored from that free kick (it was indirect but you know what I mean) I'm pretty sure thats what happened anyway!

2. Played in the infamous Brian Latto sunday morning league. Now this was proper sunday league, turn up 5 mins before kick off, no nets, beer mats for shin pads type stuff. Anyway, was playing at Saughton one day on the pitch that slopes from side to side, there was a gale blowing towards one goal (the park side, not the road side). Naturally the team playing with the wind were taking pot shots from anywhere and our keeper at the time, who is a good guy but every 2nd word out his mouth is an expletive was getting irritated he had to keep running miles for the ball. After about the 3rd or 4th time this happened, the ref who just happened to be Brian, told him to hurry up. This was met with a "****** sake Brian" from the keeper. He put the ball down, took the goal kick, it didnt go far and one of the other team hit it first time away miles out the park and the keeper had to go running again only about 20 seconds after he got back. When the keeper finally returned Brian told him if he didnt hurry up he'd award a free kick against him, cue a tirade of expletives, "****** sake Brian, you ******ing a***hole, just had to ******ing run for the ******ing ball, 5 times in a ******ing row away over there you ******ing idiot" We just peed ourselves laughing and Brian met this with "C'mon now Mr Simpson, less of that Rangers talk"

To be fair, our keeper had a point, he was basically running for miles to get the ball, took a goal kick, because of the wind we couldnt get it very far, a pot shot would come in and the ball would go miles again and he'd be off sprinting for it once more!! He was knackered then Brian was basically accusing him of wasting time!!

Other people here who have experienced Mr Latto will be able to relate to this tale! :greengrin

On a similar theme, many years ago, the Northern Bowling Club lads used to play the odd challenge match against mostly Pilrig Bowling Club but we played other games too. One Sunday down at Seafield, we thought we were turning up to play Tanfield Bowling Club, a game arranged by our now President but a Tanfield member at that time. Turns out, it was a bit of a set up and we actually were playing against an organised outfit from BOND 9, not only did they have their own strips but they tunred up with their own referee too, treated the game as a pre=season friendly for themselves.
Whilst we were not a bad side for a bunch of bowlers, some of our guys still played a bit whilst most of us had long since seen our best days on a fitba pitch.
Their lads were obviously a lot fitter than we never pretended to be and things were getting a bit desperate. As the ball was played down the line, I went for it to knock it out for a thrown in, I could have just tapped it out of play and gone back to take up me defensive role, however, times were desperate and I decided to blooter it as hard and as far as I could. The ref was far from happy and shouted at me 'there wiz nae need for that big man' and it took all my remaining energy to shout back 'Aye there wiz, I'm ******g knackered and need a rest.

We lost 2-1, our only ever defeat as the Northern football team but we took it as a moral victory :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
14-09-2012, 01:19 PM
On a similar theme, many years ago, the Northern Bowling Club lads used to play the odd challenge match against mostly Pilrig Bowling Club

We lost 2-1, our only ever defeat as the Northern football team but we took it as a moral victory :greengrin

off topic a bit, do you know if the pooles still play bowls MB ?? i'm positive it was Pilrig they played for, iirc the two older ones were twins and alan was the younger brother, they certainly enjoyed playing bools, btw i'm going back approx 30 years here :greengrin i didn't play but i knew quite a few young guys around about my age back then that well were into the game, my late faither played for tramways :)

Future17
14-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Played in the infamous Brian Latto sunday morning league.

I believe its official title is the Brian Latto Sunday Morning Draw League.:greengrin

If he was refereeing, any game which was remotely close ended in a draw. We were 4-2 up with 5 mins to go and he gave 2 penalties against us. Final score was 4-4.

If ever a game wasn't close enough for him to manufacture a draw, he would just blow up early. "But there's still 10 minutes to play Brian?" Reply "If this was a boxing match I'd stop it". It wasn't, but he still did.

MB62
14-09-2012, 01:28 PM
off topic a bit, do you know if the pooles still play bowls MB ?? i'm positive it was Pilrig they played for, iirc the two older ones were twins and alan was the younger brother, they certainly enjoyed playing bools, btw i'm going back approx 30 years here :greengrin i didn't play but i knew quite a few young guys around about my age back then that well were into the game, my late faither played for tramways :)

I believe Alan Poole plays for Carricknowe and Davy plays for Summerside now. Both very good players at BOWLS (bools is for the French) :wink: :greengrin

big-mo
14-09-2012, 01:53 PM
The rules state that -
Goalkeepers are not permitted to keep possession of the ball in their hands for more than six seconds. The goalkeeper is considered to be in possession of the ball:
- while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or
- while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
- while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air.

(When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, it cannot be challenged by an opponent.)

Also-
Goalkeepers are not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own penalty area in the following circumstances:
-if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player
-- the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper, for example after he has made a save
-- possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the ball
-if he touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
-if he touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate.

nribs
14-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Bet you it does. I have never had to award a free kick for this offence.Still bet you it doesnt
doubt your that good

whiskas
14-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I believe its official title is the Brian Latto Sunday Morning Draw League.:greengrin

If he was refereeing, any game which was remotely close ended in a draw. We were 4-2 up with 5 mins to go and he gave 2 penalties against us. Final score was 4-4.

If ever a game wasn't close enough for him to manufacture a draw, he would just blow up early. "But there's still 10 minutes to play Brian?" Reply "If this was a boxing match I'd stop it". It wasn't, but he still did.

LOL sounds about right. For my old teams annual "old boys v new boys" game we always got Brian to ref purely for comedy value.

sambajustice
14-09-2012, 07:43 PM
LOL sounds about right. For my old teams annual "old boys v new boys" game we always got Brian to ref purely for comedy value.

Apparently he's been banned from refereeing now because there were too many complaints aout him!

Poor sod! Was getting too old though and was just noising folk up for the hell of it i think. Cant question his enthusiasm though and a lot of us probably wouldnt have played a lot of football if he wasnt there to organise leagues, morning leagues or summer leagues. To be fair though the boy would've made an absolute mint during the summer!

easty
14-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Apparently he's been banned from refereeing now because there were too many complaints aout him!

Poor sod! Was getting too old though and was just noising folk up for the hell of it i think. Cant question his enthusiasm though and a lot of us probably wouldnt have played a lot of football if he wasnt there to organise leagues, morning leagues or summer leagues. To be fair though the boy would've made an absolute mint during the summer!

We had him years ago in the summer league, mid week game so everyone was rushing to the game after work, when we got there Brian's already there saying there's nae time to put nets up. He wanted to get the game done quick. So it's 1-1 with maybe 10 mins to go, boy scores a screamer for the other team from well outside the box. Brian gives a goal kick, said it went over, it was at least a foot under the bar.