PDA

View Full Version : Cult Heroes XI

Lester B
12-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Following on from the under rated players thread:-

Every now and then we get discussion of best ever players and that leads to a best ever team. Less often it's worst ever XI.

But we are missing a trick here people.

What about a cult heroes XI of Hibs players. Players who made an impact as much for their bizarreness as much as anything else and we loved or were just scoobied by.

I'm thinking Budgie in goal. Jimmy Boco. Chic Charnley.... who else would make that team?

And then we can move to the Moustache XI

:flag:

PatHead
12-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Joe Tortolano at full back, John Hughes (as a player).

edit add Colin Murdock for that penalty against Rangers

Following on from the under rated players thread:-

Every now and then we get discussion of best ever players and that leads to a best ever team. Less often it's worst ever XI.

But we are missing a trick here people.

What about a cult heroes XI of Hibs players. Players who made an impact as much for their bizarreness as much as anything else and we loved or were just scoobied by.

I'm thinking Budgie in goal. Jimmy Boco. Chic Charnley.... who else would make that team?

And then we can move to the Moustache XI

:flag:

Chuck Rhoades
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Konte
'The Tank'

--------
12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Benny Brazil.

And the guy in your avatar - Arfur was a cult hero if ever there was.

PatHead
12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Take it the side would be captained by St Albert Kidd

Billychaotic182
12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Matty jack

Allant1981
12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Dirk lehmann has to be in there surely

Lester B
12-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Benny Brazil.

And the guy in your avatar - Arfur was a cult hero if ever there was.

He was indeed. My childhood hero! I never knew what he was going to do next but then neither did he! :thumbsup:

Lester B
12-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Take it the side would be captained by St Albert Kidd

He's no cult hero. He's a legend!

NatureBoy
12-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Ole Gottskalksson has to be a contender for the keeper position but he does have some serious competition with Budgie and Maka!!

Lester B
12-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Ole Gottskalksson has to be a contender for the keeper position but he does have some serious competition with Budgie and Maka!!

True we have seen some erm 'characters' in goal but after the interview in that BBC programme about the whole Mercer takeover bid and the League cup win it would have to be Budgie. Truly mental individual!

Golden Bear
12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Stevie Archibald - difficult to explain why, but he definitely had some sort of aura surrounding him.

Shaun Dennis - who dare mess with big bad Shaun!

Pretty Boy
12-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Has to be Budgie, for threatening to break Mark Hateleys back if nothing else.

easty
12-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I just googled "Peter Guggi Hibs", this site was on the first page of results.

http://patmcginlay.weebly.com/

I don't really know how I want to describe Pats big adventure. Odd maybe.

--------
12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
True we have seen some erm 'characters' in goal but after the interview in that BBC programme about the whole Mercer takeover bid and the League cup win it would have to be Budgie. Truly mental individual!

Yup. Budgie was a true, genuine, 100% bampot.

And on that basis, I would have to nominate the late, great, Willie Hamilton. Who else would be caught by Jock Stein boozing with the supporters less than 2 hours before kick-off? And being allowed to play, because Willie drunk was at least 75% better than any other inside-right in the Scottish League sober.

Or turning up stone-cold sober for the the match against Real Madrid and telling Stein he wanted to be on hid very best form that night, "because I want to show them what they're missing not having me in their team." Pat Stanton told that story.

IIRC Willie played in the number 8 shirt that night. The number 8 was Puskas' shirt. Go figure.

And then there was the Adventure of the Canadian Tour Match .... :rolleyes:

Walter
12-09-2012, 11:28 AM

What was the Peter Guggi story?

Cocaine&Caviar
12-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Torben Jonelit?

Golden Bear
12-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Torben Jonelit?

I think he only played about 3 games, so nah ----------- he's oot.

:wink:

James70
12-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Surely Arthur Duncan would be in there as a cult hero? If there hadn't been a boundary fence he would have finished up halfway up the old terracing on one of his runs down the wing!

Can't forget the great Ivan either. Past his best now and was never brilliant but his goals at Ipox will stay in the memory forever!

Jim44
12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Willie Hamilton and George Best ......... Two of the biggest boozers to grace the Easter Road slope and both oustanding players.

gringojoe
12-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Robin Rae for Goalie, got drunk stole a bus and had to get bailed to play.

Rivers Cuomo
12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
What was the Peter Guggi story?

Always wondered this too?

Mon Dieu4
12-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Always wondered this too?

Got grabbed playing around with a nurse if i remember correctly

hibsbollah
12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
There Can Be Only One.

Introducing on my left, The Mali Magician:not worth

Mon Dieu4
12-09-2012, 02:52 PM
There Can Be Only One.

Introducing on my left, The Mali Magician:not worth

We just weren't ready for someone of his ability :(

--------
12-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Surely Arthur Duncan would be in there as a cult hero? If there hadn't been a boundary fence he would have finished up halfway up the old terracing on one of his runs down the wing!

Can't forget the great Ivan either. Past his best now and was never brilliant but his goals at Ipox will stay in the memory forever!

Willie Hamilton and George Best ......... Two of the biggest boozers to grace the Easter Road slope and both oustanding players.

Am I just Scotch Mist, guys? Keep up!

Posts 4 and 15. :cb

BIG BAD JOHN, anyone?????????????

superfurryhibby
12-09-2012, 03:23 PM

The work of a very disturbed individual.

Incidentally, I saw Pat in Tesco in Bruntsfield recently. He was looking in good fettle.

What about Gordon Rae for a cult hero? Played for Hibs for many years, scored some fantastic goals in his early career, generally took no prisoners and looked totally bizarre in the era of tiny shorts ( man mountain stature, massive body & thighs-micro shorts)

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Bobby Thomson.
What kind of ban would he get nowadays when you get ten games for giving a player a chinese burn.

Twa Cairpets
12-09-2012, 03:33 PM

W. T. F. ?????:confused::confused::confused:

Although it does mention Rab Shannon, a good call for the team.

hibsbollah
12-09-2012, 03:43 PM
We just weren't ready for someone of his ability :(

Quite true :agree: He always seemed about two or three moves ahead of his teammates. A different dimension of space and time.

Golden Bear
12-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Am I just Scotch Mist, guys? Keep up!

Posts 4 and 15. :cb

BIG BAD JOHN, anyone?????????????

:agree:

But dare we have a big bad John and a big bad Shaun?

:greengrin

erin go bragh
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Ill throw Beastie aka, George Mcluskey :cb Had his very own mental bus that followed him .

ggtth

weedgiehibbie
12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I personally would definately have Derek Townsley in there - eitehr at winget or sweeper where he suprised even me by doing well - however i may be in a fan club of one :greengrin

Jimmy Boco did have fans buying up Boco wigs from the shop, not many players have had "fashion accessories" sold & bought whilst at the club - that i can remember anyway

heidtheba
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Darren Jackson after he did an 'Action Man Eagle-Eyes' impersonation to a Dundee United player whilst running backwards past him. I almost spat my sookie sweetie out over the guy in front of me!

hibsbollah
12-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I personally would definately have Derek Townsley in there - eitehr at winget or sweeper where he suprised even me by doing well - however i may be in a fan club of one :greengrin

Jimmy Boco did have fans buying up Boco wigs from the shop, not many players have had "fashion accessories" sold & bought whilst at the club - that i can remember anyway

Ahhh the good old days when the shop actually sold stuff. Todays shop (no XL replica shirts and no child replica shirts for 5,6 or 7 year olds, and no more coming, and its only early September) could learn a thing or two from the legendary Boco Wig promotion.

HibeeN
12-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Quite true :agree: He always seemed about two or three moves ahead of his teammates. A different dimension of space and time.

all he needed was a run in the team :greengrin

allezsauzee
12-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Cult heroes don't necessarily need to be p1$h! Budgie would be fine but other 2 were just wage thiefs

beensaidbefore
12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
The work of a very disturbed individual.

Incidentally, I saw Pat in Tesco in Bruntsfield recently. He was looking in good fettle.

What about Gordon Rae for a cult hero? Played for Hibs for many years, scored some fantastic goals in his early career, generally took no prisoners and looked totally bizarre in the era of tiny shorts ( man mountain stature, massive body & thighs-micro shorts)

Indeed, WTF is this http://patmcginlay.weebly.com/about-the-author.html all about. Quite funny, but someone has too much time on their hands!

Jonnyboy
12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
:agree:

But dare we have a big bad John and a big bad Shaun?

:greengrin

Easy solved GB. Big Bad Shaun was hard as nails but Big Bad John could have eaten him for breakfast :greengrin

Lee
12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
1. Budgie Burridge
2. Jimmy Boco
3. Ulrik Laursen
4. Matty Jack
5. Yogi Hughes
6. Geebs
7. Crunchie
8. Chic Charnley
9. Paco Luna
10. Amadou Konte
11. Joe Tortolano

Subs
Greg Szamotulski (only cos the others in my lifetime have either been legends or tom kite!)
Willie Miller
Alan Sneddon
Ian Murray
Ivan Sproule (for away days in Glasgow)
Christian Nade:cb

madabouthibs
12-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Alan Orman?
If only for that goal at Ibrox. :greengrin
Dirk Lehmann?
How many of us had a plaster on our ear lobes on a Saturday afternoon? :faf:

davemcbain
13-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Not a single shout for Mel BottleofSherryOh??? I'm shocked and stunned. :confused:

hibsbollah
13-09-2012, 07:28 AM
all he needed was a run in the team :greengrin

I'll never forget seeing him hold court in the Central Bar. The Blue WKDs were flowing that night :aok:

Mon Dieu4
13-09-2012, 07:40 AM
I'll never forget seeing him hold court in the Central Bar. The Blue WKDs were flowing that night :aok:

His dancing that night was immense, can't believe Farrah ripped off the Doubot

nonshinyfinish
13-09-2012, 09:48 AM
If Dirk Lehmann doesn't make this team, I swear I'll do time! :grr:

hibsbollah
13-09-2012, 10:15 AM
His dancing that night was immense, can't believe Farrah ripped off the Doubot

Lets All Do The Ama-Dou Bot:cb

Wild times.

DH1875
13-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Your all missing a trick. Even though he was a great player, Latapy would have to be in there.

DH1875
13-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Team would have to be;

Budgie.

Jimmy Bocco.
Yogi.
Sol Bamba.
Super Joe.

Mickey Weir.
Matty Jack.
Chic Charnley.
Latapy.

Dirk Lehmann.
George Best.

Got me thinking though. How good would a night out have been with Stokes, Deeks, Garry O, Yogi, Stack, Best, Tam McManus, Barry Lavety, Chic Charnley and wee Russell all in their prime :party:.

Mon Dieu4
13-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Lets All Do The Ama-Dou Bot:cb

Wild times.

Martine McCutcheon on the radio was an inspired choice for the big man to throw shapes to

Lester B
13-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Team would have to be;

Budgie.

Jimmy Bocco.
Yogi.
Sol Bamba.
Super Joe.

Mickey Weir.
Matty Jack.
Chic Charnley.
Latapy.

Dirk Lehmann.
George Best.

Got me thinking though. How good would a night out have been with Stokes, Deeks, Garry O, Yogi, Stack, Best, Tam McManus, Barry Lavety, Chic Charnley and wee Russell all in their prime :party:.

That is weird! Was thinking I should actually post my own choice of team having started the thread. And this is it 11 out of 11. :agree:
:applause:

Would have Lavety, Maka, Ally McLeod, De La Cruz and Bobby Thomson on the bench.

O'Rourke3
13-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Alan "Popeye" Sneddon, Joe Harper (I'm sure Johhnyboy called him a cult), Barry Lavety, Brian Kerr :tin hat:, Tony Higgins to name a few.

HibeeN
13-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Martine McCutcheon on the radio was an inspired choice for the big man to throw shapes to

And his ma made the best Yam lasagna :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
14-09-2012, 07:58 AM
And his ma made the best Yam lasagna :greengrin

Haha she sure did

WeeRussell
14-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Yannick Zambernardi keep's springing to mind - he could be in there for his radge diagonal cross-field ba's :agree:

Jonnyboy
14-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Alan "Popeye" Sneddon, Joe Harper (I'm sure Johhnyboy called him a cult), Barry Lavety, Brian Kerr :tin hat:, Tony Higgins to name a few.

I'm pretty sure I said he was/is a fat wee cult :agree:

ancient hibee
14-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Ally McLeod the first-known as Ali the Wicked.

Harvey McCreadie-bailed from jail down south to sign.

Bertie Auld-when Arthur wa scoring 4 against Falkirk Bertie was limping out on the wing wanting to come off until the all was pushed out to him and he ran the length of the field(downhill)to score.

Sammy Baird-what a change to have a thug on our side.

Colin Harris-needn't say more.

Ally Scott-see above.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-09-2012, 10:53 PM
For a total cult I'd have to say John Colquhoun.