PDA

View Full Version : If we get a new player in.........

Franck Stanton
08-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Who would drop out of starting 11 we currently have ? If we signed, say a midfield player, who would lose out to accommodate him ? From some of the posts I've read on .Net the majority would opt for Claros, with Wotherspoon a close second. If we sign a wide player/winger would Spoony be fav for the drop ? Perhaps some would like to see a winger replace Doyle. Just wondering wht fellow Hibbys thoughts are. Discuss......

Baldy Foghorn
08-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Who would drop out of starting 11 we currently have ? If we signed, say a midfield player, who would lose out to accommodate him ? From some of the posts I've read on .Net the majority would opt for Claros, with Wotherspoon a close second. If we sign a wide player/winger would Spoony be fav for the drop ? Perhaps some would like to see a winger replace Doyle. Just wondering wht fellow Hibbys thoughts are. Discuss......

I doubt if we brought in a midfielder that we would drop Claros. PF was saying in an interview how he felt Claros was improving all the time (more settled with wife and kids joining him), and was talking him up.....

Wotherspiniesta
08-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Nobody would drop out. IMO, everyone's playing well at the moment. And they're playing as a team.

Northernhibee
08-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Claros has been fantastic this season so far.

I think we'd probably be looking for adequate backup, although I'd like Sammy Stanton to get an opportunity as he's a good talent.

HibbyAndy
08-09-2012, 01:49 PM

I think we'd probably be looking for adequate backup, although I'd like Sammy Stanton to get an opportunity as he's a good talent.

Claros was outstanding against St johnstone, Hopefully this season we see a totaly different player, Be like a new signing.

Franck Stanton
08-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Dont get me wrong lads/lassies, I am not advocating dropping Claros [or any of the players I named in my opening question], as I am a big fan of him, think he is just adjusting to the pace of the SPL, and as Fenlon has stated he is getting better with each passing game. From the replies so far, it appears we are happy with the starting 11 and any new players brought in would be for "back-up" for suspensions/injuries. That would appear to go against what the management say, as they are on record as stating they want better than we already have - which to me anyway indicates they would be the first team pick. For the record, I am happy with the starting 11 as it stands.

Keith_M
08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
The problem is the number of current first team picks that are only on loan. Claros for one leaves in January and, AFAIK, Griffiths is contracted to Wolves.

If the unlikely happened and we suddenly signed some fantastic new player, I'm sure there are candidates for being replaced.

Imagine the following scenario: Petrie pulls his wallet out and out pops a two pound coin. He gets concussion from said coin hitting him on the back of the head on the way down. In his subsequent hazy mental state, Fenlon manages to persuade him to pay 12M to bring back Steven Fletcher. Do you really think Griffiths or Doyle won't be dropped?

muzzhfc
08-09-2012, 02:19 PM
why change the team? getting results in. any new players should be on the bench and brought into the team. if they change the team for the better, give them a start. we shouldnt just start a new player because they are new

Hibercelona
08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
why change the team? getting results in. any new players should be on the bench and brought into the team. if they change the team for the better, give them a start. we shouldnt just start a new player because they are new

Exactly.

Don't change a working formula unless its really necessary.

HoboHarry
08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Think some are missing the point here. PF has stated that at some games the bench has been lightweight. Any new player isn't coming in to necessarily dislodge an established player, but provide cover for injuries/fatigue as well as provide some ability to change tactics for some games.

Baldy Foghorn
08-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Dont get me wrong lads/lassies, I am not advocating dropping Claros [or any of the players I named in my opening question], as I am a big fan of him, think he is just adjusting to the pace of the SPL, and as Fenlon has stated he is getting better with each passing game. From the replies so far, it appears we are happy with the starting 11 and any new players brought in would be for "back-up" for suspensions/injuries. That would appear to go against what the management say, as they are on record as stating they want better than we already have - which to me anyway indicates they would be the first team pick. For the record, I am happy with the starting 11 as it stands.

Seems to be our strongest midfield for a while, and if we bolster the squad with better players, then that can only be a good thing in terms of competition for places, it would also give PF a selection headache which again puts us in a stronger position....

If results keep going well, it would be hard to drop anyone, however I do think we need suitable replacements for when injuries and suspensions start to kick in.....

Spike Mandela
08-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Seems to be our strongest midfield for a while, and if we bolster the squad with better players, then that can only be a good thing in terms of competition for places, it would also give PF a selection headache which again puts us in a stronger position....

If results keep going well, it would be hard to drop anyone, however I do think we need suitable replacements for when injuries and suspensions start to kick in.....

If any more creative goalscoring midfielders are out there get them in. If the current midfield don't improve in that department drop any of our misfiring underacheivers like Wotherspoon and Claros and let them join Stevenson on the bench.

SMAXXA
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
If any more creative goalscoring midfielders are out there get them in. If the current midfield don't improve in that department drop any of our misfiring underacheivers like Wotherspoon and Claros and let them join Stevenson on the bench.

I think your right. Let's not forget people, yes we have done well recently but we still have weaknesses, we can't rest on our laurels and say everythings fine now we are doing ok, we still need to strive to be better and a stronger teanm. I still think we lack width and a decent eide man if not 2, on that basis if I had to sacrifice any of our midfield it would be between wotherspoon and cairney for proper wingers and if we are all being honest I think cairney would survive that cut as imo he's been excellent so far, even with being played in a few positions. DW is the weak link in midfield imo.

Agree claros has looked really good this season.

Golden Bear
08-09-2012, 05:11 PM

:tsk tsk:

Unlikely until he's been moved around Brechin, East Stirling etc etc. We might see a fleeting glimpse when he's about 24 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's the Hibs way you know.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-09-2012, 05:20 PM
No new players at the moment. We wont see any.

DH1875
08-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Still don't understand how anyone who has watched us this season wants Claros out the team and continues to call him an underachiever :confused:. Keeps it up and we'll be begging for him to stay come Christmas time.

nonshinyfinish
08-09-2012, 09:16 PM
No new players at the moment. We wont see any.

Source?

S.sct
08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
It really depends on what type of player is signed. For me i would drop spooney if we bring in an attacking player. He does'nt go past players and offeres very little. Prove me wrong spoon.

basehibby
09-09-2012, 01:42 AM
It really depends on what type of player is signed. For me i would drop spooney if we bring in an attacking player. He does'nt go past players and offeres very little. Prove me wrong spoon.

:agree: Couldn't have put it better - if we're missing something at the moment then it's attacking flair in the middle of the park - Spoony has actually done well so far in that role this season, chipping in with a couple of assists, but he can also be a frustrating player to watch in my experience and there's no doubt we're still short of quality in that area anyway. Idealy any player brought in should improve the first pick eleven - that being the case Spoony would be favourite for the drop IMO.

broonie27
09-09-2012, 05:40 AM
It says a lot of our support's expectations these days when some of us are suggesting we leave the team as is. Not a single player in our current starting 11, bar McPake, is untouchable in their position. This season, of the 8 points we currently have at least 4 of them have been lucky to say the least and we have also been convincingly beaten by a 2nd Division team. Fenlon could easily strengthen in every single position (even after the window has closed) if he had a spare £400,000. He doesn't though so we'll have to take what we've got and hope the man at the helm can work miracles.

My personal feeling is that we are currently going through a similar period to when Hughes first took over when we weren't playing well but we were picking up points. We all remember how that turned out.

I'd be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong of course.