PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Hampden to Glasgow

bigstu
07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Ive been to several Scotland games now but have yet to find an efficient way of getting back to Glasgow City Centre after the game! Anyone got any advice? Ive tried walking (takes ages), train (massive massives ques) and getting the bus (always seem to be full). Any tips?

Cheers

G15 Hibs
07-09-2012, 09:28 PM
With roughly 52,000 people hoping to do the same thing, any way of getting back to the city centre is always going to take a while after a game. No way around that, really.

micka_weer
07-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Train is generally best, albeit busy, option mate

bigstu
07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
With roughly 52,000 people hoping to do the same thing, any way of getting back to the city centre is always going to take a while after a game. No way around that, really.

many of the 52,000 people drive so its not that many & hopefully theyll be the odd veteran on here who'll have a tip or 2 about the bus stop to go to or place to get a taxi or something.

bigstu
07-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Train is generally best, albeit busy, option mate

mount florida?

G15 Hibs
07-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Fair enough, not everyone in the ground will be heading into the city centre, but you know what I mean. There'll still be a fair few.

Depending on what side of the ground you're at then either Mount Florida or King's Park stations would be the ones to go for. Even if you're at the east of the ground it might be worthwile walking round to Mount Florida cos they run extra trains round that way with more coaches than usual on match days, and they generally don't stop between there and Central.

If you can't be arsed with the queues at the station I guess you could walk over to Battlefield or even Shawlands and see if you can get the bus there, but its still likely to be quite busy and take a while to get into town.

Ultimately if there was a quicker way to go everyone would use it and it wouldn't be quicker any more!

ScottB
07-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I'd think walking is the best bet, unless you leave early and try beat the worst of queues at the train stations...

MrSmith
08-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Mount Florida is an appalling gateway for fans entering and departing Hampden! It is time for a new purpose built stadium located somewhere in the central-north belt. It should also have an infrastructure suitable for all traveling fans from all parts of Scotland.

.Sean.
08-09-2012, 12:43 AM
How long's the walk from Queen Street and what's the best way? I imagine the Central - Mt Florida route will be mobbed. Anyone here bevvying at the church on the hill in shawlands?

kennyh
08-09-2012, 05:24 AM
If you are in the East stand you are better off heading to kings park rather than mount Florida where the majority of fans head.
If you want a few beers and are in no rush to get away then walk over to Victora Rd and take your pick of the pubs then hop on a train when it suits you at Queens park or get the bus back into the centre.

Barney McGrew
08-09-2012, 06:20 AM
When I've been to Scotland games, we've always made a point of heading to a pub on Clarkston Road after the game for an hour or so to let the crowd clear. It's about 15 mins walk from Hampden and a couple of minutes from Muirend station so you get trains regularly - it's a couple of stations before Kings Park so you always get on with no queue.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Head to Shawlands until the back of 6 then jump on a bus, job done!

lobster
08-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Walk to Heraghtys bar near Queens park station - 15 mins- have a pint and then continue your journey from there after the rush calms down. Beats the queues.
Cheers.