PDA

View Full Version : I hate international football (merged)

Franck Stanton
06-09-2012, 04:26 PM
God, I hate it when there isn't a Hibs game on a Sat/[or Sun], because there is a Scotland game . Should be playing the International game mid-week, what difference does it make cancelling all the league games ? It's not as though we are in with a chance of qualifing for the finals anyway. Yet another Sat traipsing round shoe shops with the better half. Aaagggghhhh

scuttle
06-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Agree, and the fixed odds coupons are crap too

Seveno
06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I so agree, especially when we are on a bit of a roll.

lyonhibs
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
God, I hate it when there isn't a Hibs game on a Sat/[or Sun], because there is a Scotland game . Should be playing the International game mid-week, what difference does it make cancelling all the league games ? It's not as though we are in with a chance of qualifing for the finals anyway. Yet another Sat traipsing round shoe shops with the better half. Aaagggghhhh

That's the mentality our national team and many thousands of supporters should have right enough......:rolleyes:

Hibstrooper
06-09-2012, 04:41 PM

I don't, I'm heading to Hampden on Saturday with a Hearts fan and a Livi fan. 2 good mates that I wouldn't normally get to experience the full match day excitement with. Cannae wait :party:

Baldy Foghorn
06-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Another Saturday kicking my heels at home, hate free weekends......

California-Hibs
06-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't, I'm heading to Hampden on Saturday with a Hearts fan and a Livi fan. 2 good mates that I wouldn't normally get to experience the full match day excitement with. Cannae wait :party:

This.

adhibs
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
i hate it aswell. cant wait to get back to easter road after our wee 'run', shame it wont be this weekend

Franck Stanton
06-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Everybody to their own mate, hope you and your mate enjoy the experience. Not my cup of tea however. I dare say if the game was mid-week you could still go with your mates though couldn't you ? then the rest of us, [and you] could also go to the game that really matters on the Saturday.

Greendub
06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Well ye's can wait till Monday and go see the u20's for Nout at Easter road

Pretty Boy
06-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Agree, just don't like international football.

I'm passionate about Hibs because they are MY team, the team I chose to follow and the team that, for lack of a better word, i love.

I'm Scottish because that's where I happen to have been born. I don't do or get patriotism so can't support Scotland just for being Scotland and I struggle to relate to the other fans and the team.

If people like international football then good luck to them but its not for me.

3pm
06-09-2012, 06:13 PM
It's pish.

HibsMax
06-09-2012, 07:31 PM
When I read the OP I felt my heart sink. Because it's true. I remember being a kid and LOVING when Scotland played. Now it seems like when we do play it's a distraction. I hope I see a decent Scotland side again before I die. I would love for us to get to the world cup again. Last time was too long ago. I know we crap ourselves when we get there but it's an achievement just qualifying.

HibsMax
06-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Agree, just don't like international football.

I'm passionate about Hibs because they are MY team, the team I chose to follow and the team that, for lack of a better word, i love.

I'm Scottish because that's where I happen to have been born. I don't do or get patriotism so can't support Scotland just for being Scotland and I struggle to relate to the other fans and the team.

If people like international football then good luck to them but its not for me.

Not having a go but surely there isn't much to "get" about being patriotic? It's pride just like being proud about being a Hibs fan. I'm proud to be Scottish. I'm proud to be American. I have no friggin' clue what I am going to do come the end of the month - Ryder Cup.

greenlex
06-09-2012, 07:37 PM
When I read the OP I felt my heart sink. Because it's true. I remember being a kid and LOVING when Scotland played. Now it seems like when we do play it's a distraction. I hope I see a decent Scotland side again before I die. I would love for us to get to the world cup again. Last time was too long ago. I know we crap ourselves when we get there but it's an achievement just qualifying.
Start with a couple of wins and folk will start to get interested.

HibsMax
06-09-2012, 07:40 PM

The last time I saw us play was against the US in Washington DC on a "glorious" 100+ degree day. At least it felt like that. 0-0 draw. My wife's first taste of Scottish fitba. LOL.

Sir David Gray
06-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I can't get excited about Scotland either and I am patriotic.

Thanks to Levein for that.

Tricla
06-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Not me TBF. I bet it'll be the same for countless others too.

Until that prat is emptied the apathy will continue IMO.

Dinkydoo
06-09-2012, 08:26 PM
As much as I dislike Levien, I'll be in the pub cheering in Scotland and contributing to what should be a bouncy atmosphere in my local (as per the norm. for any competitive Scotland game).

S.sct
06-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Agree but this time im going to the match with my boy. Have absolutely no sense of anticipation at the moment but hopefully that will come on the day. Would rather be going to ER all the same.

WE HATE JIMMY HILL.........,

JohnStephens91
06-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm not a fan of international football until a major tournament comes round, but that is only because no other football is on. I've never really cared about the Scottish national team, nor any other national team. I remember when I was in Belfast for my dads stag weekend I didn't even watch the Scotland v Czech Republic game, I went into town for the 90 minutes to look around for some tacky souvenir to take home for my mum and sister then went back. I just find it difficult to sit there and watch.

Booked4Being-Ugly
06-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I used to love going to the Scotland games when they were a decent side and before the Jimmy McJimmys took over.

And as for being a member of the Tartan Army :offski:

I know quite a few people who have totally given up on their club sides, even ex Hibs fans - to go and watch that garbage.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2012, 09:15 PM
This.

I concur, although the away games are where the real fun is!

H18sry
06-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I love Scotland games as much as I love Hibs games, international matches extends the football season for another 6 or 7 games, what's not to love about that, the teams will never meet, the games are never conflicting because of free weekends, football is the way forward both international and club.

So on Saturday and Tuesday I will leave Edinburgh with hundreds of like minded Scotland fan's join up with thousands more and, I will stand side by side with supporters from clubs as far apart as SPL to junior and senior club fans to cheers on our NATIONAL team, and just like Hibs win or lose I will be back at the next game.

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:s altireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag

Support the team sack Levein

goosefat
06-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Internationals - Nonsense football.

Lets scrap the national team, sell Hampdump to Tesco and split the money between all Scottish league clubs.

:thumbsup:

Carheenlea
06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
It's a long time since I've been to a Scotland game, think it would be back in about 90/91, and now I'm very much an armchair Scotland fan, and quite enjoy meeting up with friends to watch the games in the pub with a few beers. Some of my friends are regulars who travel the world with the team, and probably one reason I don't go is that I fear that like them, I may become hooked on what is a different supporter experience to following Hibs. That and the fact that Levein is a clown.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM

It could be worse...just think about what lies in store for me tomorrow where I am !

lucky
06-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I just don't get it. The team is managed by a Hibbie hater and full of English and Celtic players so why would we support them? I'm no a international football fan as I have no infinity with it. So for me this is a big interruption to my football calendar

Northernhibee
06-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I just don't get it. The team is managed by a Hibbie hater and full of English and Celtic players so why would we support them? I'm no a international football fan as I have no infinity with it. So for me this is a big interruption to my football calendar

Is there no limit to the kicking of the national side? :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Some of my friends are regulars who travel the world with the team, and probably one reason I don't go is that I fear that like them, I may become hooked on what is a different supporter experience to following Hibs.

That has happened to me to a certain extent although as alluded to elsewhere on the thread its possible to enjoy both.

edinburghhibee
07-09-2012, 12:14 AM
I support hibernian FC first and foremost and when it comes to Scotland I must admit I'm a bit of an armchair fan. I have been to many a Scotland game but I just don't have the same passion as I do watching the hibees so in this financial climate I find it difficult to part with the money to travel to the game then buy a ticket when I could meet the lads at the chanter or somewhere and get the same atmosphere just while holding a beer and spending less cash.

Steve20
07-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Never supported the national side. I've tried but I just don't care if Scotland win or lose. It means nothing to me.

Hibrandenburg
07-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Hibs are my Mrs whereas Scotland are my wee bit on the side that helps to give life a wee bit of colour, even though she's a minger.

Beefster
07-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Not having a go but surely there isn't much to "get" about being patriotic? It's pride just like being proud about being a Hibs fan. I'm proud to be Scottish. I'm proud to be American. I have no friggin' clue what I am going to do come the end of the month - Ryder Cup.

Patriotism is a means to claim credit for the achievement of others...

*Tin hat on*

Hainan Hibs
07-09-2012, 06:22 AM
I'd put my love for the national team above my love for Hibs

Put that in your pipe and smoke it:agree:

:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
07-09-2012, 06:44 AM
I still love watching Scotland, but usually its under 21 matches at ER. Thanks for taking that away SFA.

I have always wanted to follow Scotland to a big tournament. But not Brazil even if we do qualify, just too far and too expensive to get to.

Would rather we qualified for the next Euros.

Anyway .. still love Scotland just as much as Hibs and will be doon the pub on Saturday cheering from afar.

Lucius Apuleius
07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Two totally different experiences. Love both them.

We'll be coming.

NatureBoy
07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Nothing in the sporting world can come close to my love for Hibs but I'm Scottish and proud so will be at Hampden tomorrow hoping to scrape 3 points so we can kid ourselves on for a bit longer that we might qualify!

:saltireflag

jdships
07-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Says it all for me ! :agree:
Situation now for me is that Scotland fans are fed up being told that a bad result isn't the end of the world, or that there's plenty of time to make up lost ground. They've been fed that by umpteen managers throughout the 14 years since the team last qualified for anything.
OK we don't have any quality like Reilly ,Law ,Bremner, Baxter et al around in the last decade but I am fed up as you say having to '......remember being a kid and LOVING when Scotland played. '

:rolleyes:

Craig_in_Prague
07-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Two totally different experiences. Love both them.

We'll be coming.

Well said!

Love them both too; Hibs are nearly every week all year round. Scotland play just a few times a year.

It's nice to sit with mates that support other teams and be together for Scotland games.

I think Brazil would be a cracker of a WC to be at; and I will remain hopeful of us getting there.

JimBHibees
07-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Hibs are my Mrs whereas Scotland are my wee bit on the side that helps to give life a wee bit of colour, even though she's a minger.

Thats brilliant. :greengrin

Enjoy both went to the Scotland Czech game last year with 2 mates and our 3 boys and had a great time. Good game and the atmosphere was very good.

Not either or it is both IMO.

johnrebus
07-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Remember to fervently looking forward to any Scotland game, especially the home internationals. It was all a bit special, the icing on the cake after the domestic season.

As I got older, started to realise how corrupt and biased the whole set up was. Pat Stanton - sixteen caps for Scotland, Dave Mackay - twenty four, Alex Edwards and Kevin McAllister - none. Yet any player who played in a blue jersey, provided they could walk, would pick up caps like confetti.

Now? If the national side were playing in my back garden I would draw the blinds.

Levein is the perfect Scotland manager. Arrogant, stupid, and would cut his own nose off to save face. He even looks like a Jakey.

Proud to be Scottish?

I'm with Irvine Welsh.

:bitchy:

khib70
07-09-2012, 09:11 AM
The only thing I hate about internationals is having to read this petty tribal tripe from the anti-Scotland brigade every time the national team play. That kind of drivel belongs the other end of the M8.

The moment an international is announced the attention-seeking uberboys and armchair unionists are spraffing off their garbage on here.

For me Hibs come before any other football club. Scotland come before any football club .

johnrebus
07-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Great thread!

Could we not have bagpipes playing in the background, with Harry Lauder singing, 'Scotland the Brave'?

:singing:

--------
07-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Remember to fervently looking forward to any Scotland game, especially the home internationals. It was all a bit special, the icing on the cake after the domestic season.

As I got older, started to realise how corrupt and biased the whole set up was. Pat Stanton - sixteen caps for Scotland, Dave Mackay - twenty four, Alex Edwards and Kevin McAllister - none. Yet any player who played in a blue jersey, provided they could walk, would pick up caps like confetti.

Now? If the national side were playing in my back garden I would draw the blinds.

Levein is the perfect Scotland manager. Arrogant, stupid, and would cut his own nose off to save face. He even looks like a Jakey.

Proud to be Scottish?

I'm with Irvine Welsh.

:bitchy:

Sums up my view precisely. I remember going through to Hampden to see Scotland play Brazil - the World Champions. This was 1971 or 1972, I think. Scotland's centre-forward that day? Derek Parlane of Rangers. Alan Gordon must have been unavailable - on the golf course, I believe.

Or there was Tom Forsyth (Rangers) - 22 caps. John Blackley (Hibs) - 7. I know who was the better footballer of those two - by a country mile.

I always had problems identifying with the Anglo-Glaswegian Select that used to be the Scotland team, but at least they were Scots. The bunch of Englishmen who wear the dark blue nowadays have little or nothing to do with me.

Since90+2
07-09-2012, 09:48 AM

I think there is one , James Forrest , in the entire squad. Hardly a reason to not support the national team.

JimBHibees
07-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Sums up my view precisely. I remember going through to Hampden to see Scotland play Brazil - the World Champions. This was 1971 or 1972, I think. Scotland's centre-forward that day? Derek Parlane of Rangers. Alan Gordon must have been unavailable - on the golf course, I believe.

Or there was Tom Forsyth (Rangers) - 22 caps. John Blackley (Hibs) - 7. I know who was the better footballer of those two - by a country mile.

I always had problems identifying with the Anglo-Glaswegian Select that used to be the Scotland team, but at least they were Scots. The bunch of Englishmen who wear the dark blue nowadays have little or nothing to do with me.

Or Willie Johnston getting loads of caps and Alex Edwards none when they both had similar poor disciplinary records but Mickey was 4 times the player.

Also remember some Celtic non entity Joe Craig getting catapulted into the Scotland team by the Daily Record, I mean the manager of the time :greengrin, after scoring about 3 goals. It hasnt changed so much was Chick Young St Mirrens biggest fan not wanting John Fleck put into the Scottish team, not squad after doing well in one Rangers training session.

All that said I do enjoy watching Scotland games and actually think Levein has got a decent group of players to pick from however his handling of Fletcher is IMO shameful.

Robinho08
07-09-2012, 10:02 AM
The sports pages are crap too.

Bristolhibby
07-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I go all over Europe watching Scotland.

I love international weekends and I love Scotland.

True, Levein has taken some of the shine off it, but for every 4-0 tanking off of Wales on a cold February. There is a Paris.

Possibly the happiest I have been watching a football game. (2007 League Cup Final aside).

J

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-09-2012, 11:56 AM
The tears were streaming down my face as I sat behind the goal that McFadden scored into at the end of the game, the only other time I've had that at a football match was post Skol Cup Final win, its possible to love club and country, its not a competition!

HibsMax
07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Patriotism is a means to claim credit for the achievement of others...

*Tin hat on*

What exactly has Scotland achieved in international football terms. :-)

Ross4356
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Couldn't disagree more, cannot wait for Saturday

JimBHibees
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
What exactly has Scotland achieved in international football terms. :-)

Assured humiliation every 2 or so years. :confused: :greengrin

HibsMax
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Assured humiliation every 2 or so years. :confused: :greengrin

Precisely. Hardly the typical reason to be patriotic. Anyway, I know Mr. 'ster was just fishing. ;)

Baldy Foghorn
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
The only thing I hate about internationals is having to read this petty tribal tripe from the anti-Scotland brigade every time the national team play. That kind of drivel belongs the other end of the M8.

The moment an international is announced the attention-seeking uberboys and armchair unionists are spraffing off their garbage on here.

For me Hibs come before any other football club. Scotland come before any football club .

So in your opinion anyone who does not support the National side is attention seeking and unionist.......Biggest lot of nonsense I have read in a while, well done..........

Spike Mandela
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I used to be passionate about the International games, went to the World cup in 1990 and loved going to Hampden. Nowadays I would struggle to open the blinds if they were playing in the garden.

Don't know why but just find it a really annoying interruption to the football calendar these days.

Golden Bear
07-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I used to be passionate about the International games, went to the World cup in 1990 and loved going to Hampden. Nowadays I would struggle to open the blinds if they were playing in the garden.

Don't know why but just find it a really annoying interruption to the football calendar these days.

It's not that long ago that international football, European games, and the domestic leagues could work in tandem with each other without any disruption to the normal club fixtures. Changed days indeed but definitely not for the better.

Skanko79
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Love Scotland and love Hibs,

Done a fair bit travelling watching both and was lucky enough to be at wembley in 99 when we won 1-0. even though we went out nothing will ever come close to that football wise. And i was at the 6-2 game, league cup final and skol cup final.

Also was lucky enough to be at france 98 and the atmosphere around a major tournament like that is incredible.

Cabbage_Patch
07-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Dont really get this thread to be honest... maybe its just because im a nationalist but If you class yourself as Scottish? and a football fan? then i cant fathom how you wouldnt support your country? International time is when club rivalry goes out the window and Scottish football fans unite to support the country. Ok we may be pish but what does that matter? its your country?, everyone should get behind the team.

I cant stand Potter but i will 110% get behind the team on Saturday. :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Dont really get this thread to be honest... maybe its just because im a nationalist but If you class yourself as Scottish? and a football fan? then i cant fathom how you wouldnt support your country? International time is when club rivalry goes out the window and Scottish football fans unite to support the country. Ok we may be pish but what does that matter? its your country?, everyone should get behind the team.

I am both, but can't stand International football, and never watch it in general, or Scotland.......It does happen you know, we don't all have to be Scotland supporter's..... Personal choice and all that jazz.....

ps you cant give anymore than 100%....

Beefster
07-09-2012, 03:07 PM

What's being a nationalist got to do with it?

Cabbage_Patch
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM
What's being a nationalist got to do with it?

Well being a nationalist obviously means i am fiercly patriotic about my country?...appreciate that everyone isnt though so fair enough

Beefster
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Well being a nationalist obviously means i am fiercly patriotic about my country?...appreciate that everyone isnt though so fair enough

Patriotism has nothing to do with nationalism (there are plenty of patriots who are not nationalists) and not being that fussed about a Scotland game doesn't mean that someone is not patriotic.

Cabbage_Patch
07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Patriotism has nothing to do with nationalism (there are plenty of patriots who are not nationalists) and not being that fussed about a Scotland game doesn't mean that someone is not patriotic.

Ok ive maybe used the term "nationalist" wrongly i was actually more meaning patriot. I am both incidently.

heretoday
07-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Used to be great supporting Scotland with Jordan, Dalglish, Law et al. Now I feel oddly alienated from the whole process. Too many Jambos in and around the squad?

I'm more excited about the possibility of Andy Murray winning in US.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-09-2012, 04:14 PM

I remember being in Skopje when Scotland lost one nil to Macedonia on this very w-end a few years ago and singing we're only here for the tennis, **** performance by the team, but, clutching at straws is fun! Sonja of Skopje made my w-end well worthwhile!

Golden Bear
07-09-2012, 04:48 PM

:agree:

That sums it up for me perfectly.

Alfred E Newman
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Used to be great supporting Scotland with Jordan, Dalglish, Law et al. Now I feel oddly alienated from the whole process. Too many Jambos in and around the squad?

The Scotland side then qualified for finals playing their qualifying ties mid week.
This October Hibs have only 3 fixtures, I assume due to international dates. We have 5 in December , where is the sense in that?

Franck Stanton
07-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in opening post, I do support the National team and as a football fan would hope each and every one of us do. My poin is, I just cant stand the way the bread and butter league games on a Sat/Sun are cancelled to accommodate them. Play the bloody things mid-week. Now before anyone comes on and states the obvious - the players need time before a game, they may get injured on the Sat and have to call off, well tell me when was the last time a squad was announced for important games when there weren't any call-offs ? That is even when the weekend games have been cancelled.

Stevo1875
07-09-2012, 06:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGVCjf6B8c .... :party:i'll never tire of watching this.

one thing that i can't stand though is this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4qNmHup68

ups and downs... just like the cabbage!!

COME ON SCOTLAND!!!!

JohnStephens91
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Internationals - Nonsense football.

Lets scrap the national team, sell Hampdump to Tesco and split the money between all Scottish league clubs.

:thumbsup:

The only people who can sell Hampden are the mighty Queens Park FC who own the stadium

Bristolhibby
07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGVCjf6B8c .... :party:i'll never tire of watching this.

one thing that i can't stand though is this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4qNmHup68

ups and downs... just like the cabbage!!

COME ON SCOTLAND!!!!

That was amazing. Will never forget that day. A perfect footballing moment.

The day, the weather, the day before, the march, the Eiffel tower, the game, the laughs.

C'mon Scotland!!!

J

SMAXXA
07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I have to agree with the OP, I cant stand internationals, If I could relate to the team and management more then id probably feel different. If it was made up of good players from the likes of UTD, aberdeen, Hearts Hibs Celtic, Rangers etc but not half rate half Scottish f;ash in the pans.

Greenblood70
07-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Hibs and Hibs only:flag::flag:...dont think i've given an international a second glance since the 1990 World Cup.

The tartan army aren't for me and I've despised Avril all his career...no problem with those who do choose to follow Scotland tho and wish them a good day out tomorrow, just not for me.

Nevi1875
08-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Used to love watching scotland at hampden but unfortunatly potter has spoiled that would much rather watch the cabbage rack up a couple more points. Yet I don't mind watching the 21's especially with sparky chipping in with a couple of goals.

Still you have to wish them luck.

lobster
08-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Hibs and Hibs only:flag::flag:...dont think i've given an international a second glance since the 1990 World Cup.

The tartan army aren't for me and I've despised Avril all his career...no problem with those who do choose to follow Scotland tho and wish them a good day out tomorrow, just not for me.

:agree:

Game isn't on council telly so I ain't watching. Hope they win but kinda resent that the Powers that be can't even get the game to the whole population. This nationalism has a caveat to buy Sky sports. No thanks.

SMAXXA
08-09-2012, 09:07 PM
This would reignight my interest-

Templeton and forrest wide
D Fletch and Brown in the Middle
Rhodes/Russell/Sparky up front

Fill in the rest but I crave excitment and creativity and these guys would give us it IMO. We are no further forward than we were 5 year ago when Berti was capping everything under the sun, CL is doing the same.

Why dont wre promote these youngsters and throw them straight in (Wallcott, Oxley-Chamberlan etc for England) these are examples of players in a much more heated cauldron of expectation down south and they still get their chance. We promote Rhodes and give him 10 mins. There are real gems in our U21 team, Allan, Armstrong and guys like Mackay-Stevens who most clubs down south would be all over but CL cant seem to have the forsight to give them their opportunity?

He had a great chance to promote youth in Scotland when he took the job yet he has chosen to go with the tried and tested massive disapointment of a squad us fans have witnessed for the last stupid amount of years. He trawls around the english leagues for players when all he needs to do is look at whats comming through in the 21's, grow a set of balls and mix them with some chosen experienced pros.

Cocaine&Caviar
09-09-2012, 10:37 AM
As some may have noticed over the International period so far, im somewhat disillusioned with the modern set up when it comes to the international version of the game.

A perfect example for me is Alex Pearce, Reading Centre Back.

Born in England.

Knew he wasnt good enough for them, BUT decided to play for Scotland U21s, which i fully respect and would welcome him into the team because of this.

HOWEVER, he has now decided he is Oirish, and has been called up by them.

Where is the loyalty? Where is the national pride? Where is the point in international football?

yeezus.
09-09-2012, 10:39 AM
As some may have noticed over the International period so far, im somewhat disillusioned with the modern set up when it comes to the international version of the game.

A perfect example for me is Alex Pearce, Reading Centre Back.

Born in England.

Knew he wasnt good enough for them, BUT decided to play for Scotland U21s, which i fully respect and would welcome him into the team because of this.

HOWEVER, he has now decided he is Oirish, and has been called up by them.

Where is the loyalty? Where is the national pride? Where is the point in international football?

:agree: I've been thinking that for a while as well.

As much as I want Scotland to qualify, I really don't get than enthusiastic about international football.

Cocaine&Caviar
09-09-2012, 10:42 AM
:agree: I've been thinking that for a while as well.

As much as I want Scotland to qualify, I really don't get than enthusiastic about international football.

I would personally be 100% satisfied & back in love with international football if we fielded a team of full on Scots, or those that made their decision as soon as they sign their first pro contract.

A team perhaps of slighlty lesser quality or experience, but lets be honest we're not winning anything with the invaders anyway.

Gatecrasher
09-09-2012, 10:52 AM
What i dont like is the stoppage of the domestic game game to allow for internationals, Why dont they just play the qualifiers in the summer when theres no football on? Also the meaningless friendlies as well.

matty_f
09-09-2012, 10:53 AM
It was like Potter saying he'd welcome Andy Driver to the national side. The Andy Driver that wanted to be English at u21 level.
So he'll pick someone wanting to be English but not Fletcher.

Utter tool.

yeezus.
09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I would personally be 100% satisfied & back in love with international football if we fielded a team of full on Scots, or those that made their decision as soon as they sign their first pro contract.

A team perhaps of slighlty lesser quality or experience, but lets be honest we're not winning anything with the invaders anyway.

What do you think about where the players are competing in club football?

I know a couple of nationalists who refuse to support the team on the basis that they don't play in Scotland...I'm not one of them btw.

Cocaine&Caviar
09-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Couldn't care less about that, everyone's got to earn a living and earn as much as they can. I actually think less of players ie Brown that would choose West instead of South.

nonshinyfinish
09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
What do you think about where the players are competing in club football?

I know a couple of nationalists who refuse to support the team on the basis that they don't play in Scotland...I'm not one of them btw.

Does this only apply to footballers, or do they think that anyone who leaves Scotland is not really Scottish? Either way, it's breathtakingly parochial.

yeezus.
09-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Does this only apply to footballers, or do they think that anyone who leaves Scotland is not really Scottish? Either way, it's breathtakingly parochial.

I think it has something to do with that. Drivel.

3pm
09-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I can't get enthused.

Webster and Berra? Play(ed) for Hearts. I recall the latter giving us a GIRUY after one game. I hate Hearts, I am not going to cheer on they 2 planks.

Same with Celtic ans Forrest. Hutton and McGregor? Bawbags.

Levein? No explanation required. Tit.

And then there is the SFA. Put a Hearts fan in charge of the cup final, a biased ******* at that.

In conclusion, they can **** right off.