PDA

View Full Version : David Stephens looking up

theonlywayisup
05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
http://www.eatsleepsport.com/barnet/stephens-looking-up-1465625.html

The Wales Under-21 defender moved to Underhill from Hibernian on transfer deadline day and could make his debut against Gillingham this weekend.

He has joined a club lying bottom of League Two and still looking for their first win of the season.

"I think we need to steady the ship," Stephens told the club's official website.

"Once we tighten up the defence and start scoring some goals things should improve and we can hopefully secure a comfortable league position.

"I want to help the team do well above anything. That's the most important thing. I'd like to bring my qualities to the side and show everyone the kind of player I can be."

I wish him the best. It will be interesting to see if he develops into a good solid professional.

S.sct
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM

The Wales Under-21 defender moved to Underhill from Hibernian on transfer deadline day and could make his debut against Gillingham this weekend.

He has joined a club lying bottom of League Two and still looking for their first win of the season.

"I think we need to steady the ship," Stephens told the club's official website.

"Once we tighten up the defence and start scoring some goals things should improve and we can hopefully secure a comfortable league position.

"I want to help the team do well above anything. That's the most important thing. I'd like to bring my qualities to the side and show everyone the kind of player I can be."

I wish him the best. It will be interesting to see if he develops into a good solid professional.

That won't happen with the big guy at the heart of it. All the best to him but sadly not good enough.

SMAXXA
05-09-2012, 11:09 PM
You know what, how about we let bigones be bigones and let the lad get on with his career rather then extract parts of his interviews from his new team? All players say the right things when they move to a new team which is fine, what I don't like personally is this need to bring it up on a hibs forum? Let's wait and see and give the guy a chance, if he turns out to be the one who got away then great and well done to him, he didn't show enough at hibs to make him a player worth keeping in PF's eyes.

Good luck to the lad and I for one wish you all the best.

The Sea-gull
06-09-2012, 07:25 AM
He just didn't cut it. Has the physical attributes to be a top centre half but does not have the football skills and awareness required.

These might come in time as football will be littered with players who were bombscares as youngsters but developed into good players.

100% correct decision by PF to get rid of him (and O'Hanlon for that matter) as we can't afford to have unreliable players in the squad who are not good enough at SPL level and the way things are in the SPL, if you are not good enough to be part of a first team squad by the time you are 21 then you are out the door.

Only concern about getting rid of him and O'Hanlon is we are now woefully short at CB. Suppose Clancy can play there if required.

Is the new guy on loan from Man City a centre half?

Northernhibee
06-09-2012, 07:38 AM
He just didn't cut it. Has the physical attributes to be a top centre half but does not have the football skills and awareness required.

These might come in time as football will be littered with players who were bombscares as youngsters but developed into good players.

100% correct decision by PF to get rid of him (and O'Hanlon for that matter) as we can't afford to have unreliable players in the squad who are not good enough at SPL level and the way things are in the SPL, if you are not good enough to be part of a first team squad by the time you are 21 then you are out the door.

Only concern about getting rid of him and O'Hanlon is we are now woefully short at CB. Suppose Clancy can play there if required.

Is the new guy on loan from Man City a centre half?

McGivern can play at left or centre of the defence.

Golden Bear
06-09-2012, 08:10 AM
I have it on very good authority that David Stephens was looking up in a last desperate attempt to locate Leigh Griffiths in the alien spacecraft.

Fact.

MB62
06-09-2012, 08:27 AM

David should hang up his boots and become a manager with those fantastic words of wisdom. Who would ever have thought of doing that in games? Hope he has passed this tactical secret on to P.F. before he left :greengrin

scoopyboy
06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I hope he becomes a great player and is sold for millions............ assuming of course Rodders has a sell on fee.

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Good on him, no different to people creaming themselves when Mcpake came out and said something similar when he joined Hibs the first time around. I see nothing wrong with Stephens doing the same even if he still has a bit to learn.

jdships
06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
You know what, how about we let bigones be bigones and let the lad get on with his career rather then extract parts of his interviews from his new team? All players say the right things when they move to a new team which is fine, what I don't like personally is this need to bring it up on a hibs forum? Let's wait and see and give the guy a chance, if he turns out to be the one who got away then great and well done to him, he didn't show enough at hibs to make him a player worth keeping in PF's eyes.

Good luck to the lad and I for one wish you all the best.

Good post :agree::thumbsup:
I spoke yesterday with a friend who is on the coaching staff at Norwich and his thought on DS was . ' He is a classic example of a young lad at 17/18 showing all the promise to be a top class professional but for some reason doesn't develop once he reaches 19/20 . Great lad to work with and easy to coach '
This is so true and is borne out when you look at our own club where every year a number who were ' promising ' at 16/18 are given a free before they are 21

:rolleyes: