PDA

View Full Version : Yet another green and white angel

hibeelin
05-09-2012, 04:44 PM
My dad, Ronnie Campbell, passed away suddenly yesterday morning. He was Hibs daft but due to ill health for the last few years was unable to go to the games, so listened to the radio and read all the match reports in the papers. Although we hadnt spoken for 8 years I was lucky to put all that behind us and be with him on his final day. He never lost his sense of humour and when asked if he was in pain, his reply was 'pain, no me i'm a Hibs Casual'.

Being the oldest of 3 daughters dad took me to the football as I was the nearest he had to a son he had and have many great memories of dad and I watching all the greats from the late 60's onwards. His favourite player has alway been Pat Stanton - or King Paddy as he called him, I have passed his love of the Hibees on to my son and daughter and we all attend the games together. One day I hope to bring my grand-daughter along, as at only 2 years old she is already Hibs daft!

A few weeks ago I sent Mrs S a message of condoledce as my dad and hers were old friends and collegues as both were Prison Officers in Edinburgh and used to go to Easter Road together - little did I know that in a few short weeks I would be in the same situation.

'God bless Dad, its a shame you never got to see us win the Scottish Cup'

Linda

Jay
05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Linda, I was so sorry to hear about your dad. George told me yesterday.

RIP Ronnie - another of the good guys gone

Jill xx

HibbyAndy
05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
R.I.P Ronnie

Forever we'l be singing.....

scuttle
05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Deepest condolences

Tricla
05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
RIP Ronnie.

Gettin' Auld
05-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Sorry to read that - RIP.

Dalianwanda
05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Rest In Peace :flag:

Dalianwanda
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM

fatbloke
05-09-2012, 05:47 PM

RIP Mr Campbell. Perhaps you can have a wee word in the big man's ear and see what he can do for us Scottish Cup wise. Just for Linda and many more like her:aok:.

scott7_0(Prague)
05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I lost my Dad in December know what tour felling. Just hold the good times close to your Heart and laugh alot about them. That keeps me going during my dark days.

Keep your chin up high, he's up their with alot of good Hibby's!!!!!

pontius pilate
05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
R.I.P deepest sympathies

cabbageandribs1875
05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
my condolences

Sudds_1
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
My dad, Ronnie Campbell, passed away suddenly yesterday morning. He was Hibs daft but due to ill health for the last few years was unable to go to the games, so listened to the radio and read all the match reports in the papers. Although we hadnt spoken for 8 years I was lucky to put all that behind us and be with him on his final day. He never lost his sense of humour and when asked if he was in pain, his reply was 'pain, no me i'm a Hibs Casual'.

Being the oldest of 3 daughters dad took me to the football as I was the nearest he had to a son he had and have many great memories of dad and I watching all the greats from the late 60's onwards. His favourite player has alway been Pat Stanton - or King Paddy as he called him, I have passed his love of the Hibees on to my son and daughter and we all attend the games together. One day I hope to bring my grand-daughter along, as at only 2 years old she is already Hibs daft!

A few weeks ago I sent Mrs S a message of condoledce as my dad and hers were old friends and collegues as both were Prison Officers in Edinburgh and used to go to Easter Road together - little did I know that in a few short weeks I would be in the same situation.

Linda

Saddened by your loss L .......

.....work in the Prison Service myself, but I didn't know your dad. he's one of a few good Prison Service Hibbys that have recently passed over to greater things. So he's not alone......must be some party up there!

......and neither are you since he'll always be right there inside you.

weehibee19
05-09-2012, 08:00 PM
my dad, ronnie campbell, passed away suddenly yesterday morning. He was hibs daft but due to ill health for the last few years was unable to go to the games, so listened to the radio and read all the match reports in the papers. Although we hadnt spoken for 8 years i was lucky to put all that behind us and be with him on his final day. He never lost his sense of humour and when asked if he was in pain, his reply was 'pain, no me i'm a hibs casual'.

Being the oldest of 3 daughters dad took me to the football as i was the nearest he had to a son he had and have many great memories of dad and i watching all the greats from the late 60's onwards. His favourite player has alway been pat stanton - or king paddy as he called him, i have passed his love of the hibees on to my son and daughter and we all attend the games together. One day i hope to bring my grand-daughter along, as at only 2 years old she is already hibs daft!

A few weeks ago i sent mrs s a message of condoledce as my dad and hers were old friends and collegues as both were prison officers in edinburgh and used to go to easter road together - little did i know that in a few short weeks i would be in the same situation.

'god bless dad, its a shame you never got to see us win the scottish cup'

linda

r.i.p

Jonnyboy
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
RIP Ronnie

NAE NOOKIE
05-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Linda

RIP to your dad Linda ... a very moving post.

monktonharp
06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
RIP to your dad Linda ... a very moving post.:agree:very moving indeed. R.I.P.

IWasThere2016
06-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Ray_
06-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. R.I.P Ronnie.

hibbiedon
06-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Sorry for your loss. R.I.P.

Hibrandenburg
06-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Sorry for your loss. Always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow Hibby.

GGTTH

Niffy
06-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Sorry to here this Linda.

A lesson in your story for everyone though.

claire1875
06-09-2012, 04:55 PM
RIP Grandad...

staunchhibby
06-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Linda very sorry to hear about your dad Ronnie.Knew the familty well from the quarters.He was a character especialy his rendition of Running Bear which he sang in the club.

R'Albin
06-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Really sad to hear this news and as others have said a very moving read. R.I.P Ronnie

hibeelin
06-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Linda very sorry to hear about your dad Ronnie.Knew the familty well from the quarters.He was a character especialy his rendition of Running Bear which he sang in the club.

Thanks for your lovely message.

Yeah Running Bear was Dad's song, he will be going out to it - cue tears all round.

Mum says to ask who you were.

hibeelin
06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks to everybody for their lovely messages, Dad would have loved the idea of all you fellow Hibbies taking the time to think of him.

Have spoken to the club and when mum is ready some time after the service, we are going to scatter his ashes behind the goals.

He had never been in the stadium since the new East Stand was built, and now he will never leave it!

Thanks guys, you are all in my prayers :hibees

Linda

staunchhibby
06-09-2012, 08:46 PM
hi linda sent you a pm.any word re funeral

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Linda,

My deepest condolences.

First of all let me say that I never knew your Dad and I never normally reply to threads if I don't know the person involved. Your OP really has hit home to me that it's never too late to repair a relationship maybe when you think you never can. It really has struck a chord me as I have a similar situation with a close relative though not my Dad.

My sincere regards

Keith.

hibeelin
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Linda,

My deepest condolences.

First of all let me say that I never knew your Dad and I never normally reply to threads if I don't know the person involved. Your OP really has hit home to me that it's never too late to repair a relationship maybe when you think you never can. It really has struck a chord me as I have a similar situation with a close relative though not my Dad.

My sincere regards

Keith.

Keith

Thanks for your post, please dont leave it as late as I did. I will never be able to have that clear the air talk with my dad, ask him why he did what he did - and more importantly I can never pick up the phone to chat about the game that day! You have no idea how many times I wanted to do that over the years.

I will have to live with that regret. Please dont end up the same.

Linda

hibeelin
07-09-2012, 11:40 PM
To those who asked:

Dad's funeral is on Tuesday 3.30 at Mortonhall

All welcome x

ps Mum wants SOL as he enters the Chapel but being the one who goes to er I dont think I could cope with that (and have his ashes scattered there) have you guys got any suggestions of what we can play instead.

thanks

linda