PDA

View Full Version : Question Marking for corners

HibsMax
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I just watched the highlights for the Celtic game and pardon my ignorance but my Dad used to always say that at corners you should have a man on each post (which would probably have saved us the first goal). Is that dated thinking or does it depend on style / tactics? I've never played football beyond 5s so I don't pretend to have all the answers. Thoughts?

StevieT
04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Very much up to the coaches and manager. Some insist on one post being covered whilst some want both. Some man mark whilst others play a zonal system. Personally, I don't like zonal as I believe that attackers can get a better run at the ball whilst defenders are more static.

Alex Trager
04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah its down to the coaches, although i'd definately have people on both posts. There was a good example of someone clearing the ball at the weekend from the post but for the life of me I can't remember what game it was

RyeSloan
04-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah its down to the coaches, although i'd definately have people on both posts. There was a good example of someone clearing the ball at the weekend from the post but for the life of me I can't remember what game it was

Dundee boy against the Yams I think!

Alex Trager
04-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Dundee boy against the Yams I think!

That's it!

Matty_Jack04
04-09-2012, 04:42 PM

I always thought it was through goalkeepers choice what he wants covered? Defo managers if it's man marking or this stupid zonal thing in the box

Seekyit
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I just watched the highlights for the Celtic game and pardon my ignorance but my Dad used to always say that at corners you should have a man on each post (which would probably have saved us the first goal). Is that dated thinking or does it depend on style / tactics? I've never played football beyond 5s so I don't pretend to have all the answers. Thoughts?

Definitely one guy on each post for me. On the subject of corners, i think short corners are invariably a waste of time.

jamieross
04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I vaguely remember Claros, being on a post from a corner or something. The ball came towards him but went out for a goal kick though.

Leishy1995
04-09-2012, 04:54 PM
It's left up to my keeper at under 19s

Fergus52
04-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Definitely one guy on each post for me. On the subject of corners, i think short corners are invariably a waste of time.

The AC milan team from around 2004-2007 used to work them excellently

nonshinyfinish
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM

I remember reading that some statistical analysis of corners had found that it was better to have a man somewhere near the corner of the six-yard box rather than on the front post. This was given as the reason that teams often don't have a man on the front post these days.

HibsMax
04-09-2012, 05:20 PM
I remember reading that some statistical analysis of corners had found that it was better to have a man somewhere near the corner of the six-yard box rather than on the front post. This was given as the reason that teams often don't have a man on the front post these days.

I was wondering the same thing myself. It probably just looks bad when one does slip in.

nonshinyfinish
04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself. It probably just looks bad when one does slip in.

That was pretty much the point of what I read IIRC, that fans/pundits are raging when it happens and think it's tactical ineptitude, when actually it's been thought about and they are playing the percentages. Of course, the analysis might be wrong...lies, damned lies and statistics, as they say.

Treadstone
04-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Currently reading the book 'I am the secret footballer' and he says you get this crap all the time about there should have been a man on the post . He says when it happens , you can guarantee someone has not done their job or is out of position . This certainly looks the case for the goal against us . Three players marking two at the corner of the six yard box . TSF agrees with you nonshinyfinish stats say the best place to be is the corner of the 6 yd box .

ancient hibee
04-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Currently reading the book 'I am the secret footballer' and he says you get this crap all the time about there should have been a man on the post . He says when it happens , you can guarantee someone has not done their job or is out of position . This certainly looks the case for the goal against us . Three players marking two at the corner of the six yard box . TSF agrees with you nonshinyfinish stats say the best place to be is the corner of the 6 yd box .

So from what you say having 3 players in the best place were no effing good whatsoever?

Treadstone
04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
So from what you say having 3 players in the best place were no effing good whatsoever?

Not if they are going to just stand there and do nothing .

clerriehibs
04-09-2012, 05:51 PM

You should've played football beyond 5s ... :greengrin

ancient hibee
04-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Not if they are going to just stand there and do nothing .

You didn't say they had to do something:greengrin

Treadstone
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
You didn't say they had to do something:greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/19458766

Watch the corner for Celtic at 4' 12" . The same thing nearly happens again . Easily avoidable , rarely in the SPL do you say well we couldn't do much about that goal from the corner.

nonshinyfinish
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Now that you say it, I reckon I read it in the Secret Footballer column in the Grauniad. Is the book good?

Treadstone
04-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Now that you say it, I reckon I read it in the Secret Footballer column in the Grauniad. Is the book good?

Never actually read the column but got the book this afternoon and sailing through it . Incredibly interesting . Hate him and like him in equal measure.

nonshinyfinish
04-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Never actually read the column but got the book this afternoon and sailing through it . Incredibly interesting . Hate him and like him in equal measure.

Cheers, might pick one up.

HibsMax
04-09-2012, 06:22 PM
You should've played football beyond 5s ... :greengrin

LOL. Obviously you never saw me play. :wink: