PDA

View Full Version : A goal from midfield

Baker9
04-09-2012, 04:32 AM
That was really good news in more than one way when Cairney scored and optimistically he is now on track for 8-10 a season. It seems like years since we had any sort of regular goals coming from midfield. This may already have been done but how does our total midfield scoring rate compare to other teams over say the last 30 league games?

cockneymike
04-09-2012, 05:02 AM
That was really good news in more than one way when Cairney scored and optimistically he is now on track for 8-10 a season. It seems like years since we had any sort of regular goals coming from midfield. This may already have been done but how does our total midfield scoring rate compare to other teams over say the last 30 league games?

I like your confidence, but one goal after 5 games does not necessarily extrapolate to 8-10 for the season! I hope it will, but don't get too carried away. For every Pat McGinlay there have been 3 or 4 Brian Kerrs...

Baker9
04-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I like your confidence, but one goal after 5 games does not necessarily extrapolate to 8-10 for the season! I hope it will, but don't get too carried away. For every Pat McGinlay there have been 3 or 4 Brian Kerrs...

There was no intended extrapolation involved in the 8-10, just optimism and a hope that we have at least one midfield player capable of 8-10 goals. I would be happy with 6-8 or even 2-4 to be honest. It is both an asset and a liability being eternally optimistic (I though Calderwood was a great appointment and Palsson a standout) but I like what is happening with the team and see the midfield scoring rate as the key to winning the league - there I go again.:greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
04-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Cairney certainly looks like the one that'll chip in with some goals from midfield.

I'd hope we'll get some goals from McPake/Hanlon as well from corners and free-kicks; Both are pretty good at getting their nappers on things.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-09-2012, 07:26 AM
See Cairney at CM long term.

NatureBoy
04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Definitely think Cairney will bag a few goals this season, looks like he's desperate to get into the box and have a pop, a refreshing change from the last couple of seasons. Just wait until Lewis Stevenson is back in the team he scores a ridiculous amount from midfield!

Piqué
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Clancy on for 8-10 goals this season too? :wink:

Pretty Boy
04-09-2012, 10:02 AM
In Cairney and Griffiths we have 2 players who get me on the edge of my seat when they get the ball. Something that's been lacking for too long.

Cairney is still growing into the SPL but the early signs are promising. We might just have got ourselves a good un.