PDA

View Full Version : Yams Alan Combe Signs for Hearts

Hermit Crab
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Alan Combe has signed for Hearts at 38 years young. Signed as a goalkeeping coach but also registered as a player.

Hibstrooper
03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Alan Combe has signed for Hearts at 38 years young. Signed as a goalkeeping coach but also registered as a player.

Massive hibby, here's hoping he is there to destroy them from within :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2012, 11:25 AM

does agent McGlynn really need any more help ;)

Hibernian Verse
03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Great keeper back in the day, pretty sure we were close to signing him at some point?

#FromTheCapital
03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Was it not agent Alan who was playing for Killie when we pumped them in the CIS Final? :thumbsup:

VickMackie
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Will he try and teach enkleman a few things?! Is enkleman older than combe?

Gettin' Auld
03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Was it not agent Alan who was playing for Killie when we pumped them in the CIS Final? :thumbsup:

He even managed to make the 'fresh air kick' look real when Fletch scored. :)

greenlex
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Tis true. Just ripped his auld man.

--------
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Great keeper back in the day, pretty sure we were close to signing him at some point?

Really?

On his day he could be quite a bomb-scare IIRC.

Lots of rumours - basically on the lines of "He's a real Hibby, he's sure to sign for us" but he never did.

Maybe he isn't such a Hibby after all?

Cos now he's a Jambo.

Dalkeith
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Really?

Lots of rumours - basically on the lines of "He's a real Hibby, he's sure to sign for us" but he never did.

Cos now he's a Jambo.

100% a hibby

Pretty Boy
03-09-2012, 12:34 PM

I know one of his family members very well and he was indeed close to signing for us when Mowbray was in charge. The way the deal collapsed hurt him big time.

The Sea-gull
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Was it not him who went mental when playing against us for Dundee United at ER after we were awarded a dodgy pen about 3 hours into stoppage time.

Think it was round about Xmas time, late 90s/early 2000s. Was bloody freezing anyway.

Wee Russell, cool as ice after a massive delay before he could take it while the Utd GK was going crazy at the ref, stroked it home and we won 1-0. Deservedly though from what I can remember we had pummelled them for the whole game.

Pretty Boy
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Was it not him who went mental when playing against us for Dundee United at ER after we were awarded a dodgy pen about 3 hours into stoppage time.

Think it was round about Xmas time, late 90s/early 2000s. Was bloody freezing anyway.

Wee Russell, cool as ice after a massive delay before he could take it while the Utd GK was going crazy at the ref, stroked it home and we won 1-0. Deservedly though from what I can remember we had pummelled them for the whole game.

Yep. Sure he was sent off after the game for squaring up to the linesman.

If I remember right someone stood on Matty Jacks toe and he went down like he'd been shot.

They were raging.

Baldy Foghorn
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Yep. Sure he was sent off after the game for squaring up to the linesman.

If I remember right someone stood on Matty Jacks toe and he went down like he'd been shot.

They were raging.

Did he spit at someone, or am I confusing the events of that day?

HoboHarry
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
They have an attacking force that couldn't score in a kittle hoosie (google that lol) and they have addressed that problem by signing two goalkeepers at the wrong end of their careers. Chortle.......

Shrekko
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
100% a hibby

Yip- remember him sitting next to me in the Hibs end at Tynecastle at the Millenium derby. He certainly enjoyed himself that day so would be weird to think of him sitting in their dug-out during the next derby.

Off the bar
03-09-2012, 03:17 PM

think he was raging cause they kicked the ball out for an injured player and expected the ball back, but when matty Jack took the throw he did'nt give it back to them and hibs played on and the penalty resulted from them hurrying back to clear the danger they did'nt think was coming. as I recall (through rose tinted glasses) the 'injury' looked more like time wasting than a real injury. rose tinted glasses or no that was a great hibs side on a great run.

Mon Dieu4
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
think he was raging cause they kicked the ball out for an injured player and expected the ball back, but when matty Jack took the throw he did'nt give it back to them and hibs played on and the penalty resulted from them hurrying back to clear the danger they did'nt think was coming. as I recall (through rose tinted glasses) the 'injury' looked more like time wasting than a real injury. rose tinted glasses or no that was a great hibs side on a great run.

sure it was laughlan he had been at it for ages wasting time and faking injury a couple of times, Das Boot did the right thing not giving them the ball back

Hainan Hibs
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Here it is in full VHS quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk

From what I remember it didn't take much for Combe to go radio rental, but the UTD team may, just may, have had a point in this match:greengrin

One of my all time favourite memories is Jack not throwing it back to UTD, fantastic stuff!

heretoday
03-09-2012, 03:42 PM
This is great news. If he's playing against us we can do the Five-One thing, while kicking fresh air. There could be casualties!

Hainan Hibs
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Wasn't the fresh air kick used in combination with allowing Fletcher to nut meg him while he flew through the air?

Combine that with Nish going awol when Jones fired us ahead and the agents really did play their part that day:greengrin

Hibernian Verse
03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Really?

Cos now he's a Jambo.

You're always very quick to put other people's posts down. Yes he was a good keeper. Petr Cech has made mistakes, still doesn't make him a bombscare.

bigwheel
03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
It always mildly amuses me when people wonder why a Hibs fan would sign for Hearts..or even question if he really is a Hibee by doing so...it's his job...I'm sure he will be fully focused to do well, and create a new chapter in his career...frankly, good luck to him..

Hibrandenburg
03-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Hope he does a better job than agent robbo.

Jamesie
03-09-2012, 05:30 PM

My understanding is that we were twice on the verge of signing him - AberGreen will be able to confirm that.

--------
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
You're always very quick to put other people's posts down. Yes he was a good keeper. Petr Cech has made mistakes, still doesn't make him a bombscare.

No - he was an average SPL keeper, which means that every so often he made mistakes, sometimes costly ones. His air-shot in the CIS being a case in point.

Alan Combe was never a GREAT keeper.

Andy Goram was a great keeper. Jim Leighton was a great keeper. Pat Jennings was a great keeper. Gianluigi Buffon is a great keeper.

Alan Combe was SPL standard - which means he was OK for the SPL, but anywhere else he'd have been found out very badly indeed.

Comparing him to Petr Cech is ridiculous. Petr Cech operates at a level in the game Combe could hardly dream of.

Cech's honours with Chelsea include: 3 Premier League titles, 4 FA Cup wins, 2 Football League Cup wins, a Champions' League runners-up medal, and a Champions' League winners medal. In 6 seasons - with Cech playing a large part in each and every one of those successes.

The idea of Combe achieving that sort of success in the game is a complete non-starter.

It seems to me that any keeper who DOESN'T play for us is a 'good' keeper regardless of mistakes he makes - until he signs for us. Combe didn't play for us, so a lot of people on here saw only his good games, and were blind to his failings.

Combe was an OK keeper, but he could be a bomb-scare.

Makaveli
04-09-2012, 07:13 AM

From what I remember it didn't take much for Combe to go radio rental, but the UTD team may, just may, have had a point in this match:greengrin

One of my all time favourite memories is Jack not throwing it back to UTD, fantastic stuff!

Don't think I've seen that since the time. Best bit is when the commentator says "last chance for Hibs" as the ball goes into the box, a full five minutes before the end of the video :greengrin.

On topic, Combe was never anything better than average. Very much of the Stack/Smith/Brown variety in that you think he's decent until he's playing for you. I'll be surprised if he ever plays for them.

tomhorn
04-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Uncle Fester seens to be amassing an army of poor to average goalkeepers. Yep...total fud.

Bill Milne
04-09-2012, 09:10 AM
It always mildly amuses me when people wonder why a Hibs fan would sign for Hearts..or even question if he really is a Hibee by doing so...it's his job...I'm sure he will be fully focused to do well, and create a new chapter in his career...frankly, good luck to him..

I bet Gary Locke knows full well he is a Hibby. Should be some interesting conversations there IMO!!:wink:

Hermit Crab
04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I bet Gary Locke knows full well he is a Hibby. Should be some interesting conversations there IMO!!:wink:

I hope Combe sticks one on him, Locke is a walloper! :yw:

Hiber-nation
04-09-2012, 09:22 AM
I remember him going ballistic and kicking a water bottle at the crowd at Tannadice when Tam McManus scored that late winner. Franck Sauzee's birthday and I think it might have been the first game after the 6-2.

--------
04-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Not really, surely?

IIRC they'd been time-wasting and cheating all match - Lauchlan in particular just could not stay on his feet and every time he went down he took ages to get up, hobble to the touchline, then hobble back on. That was why there was so much added time.

Up till this game I had had a fair bit of respect for Alex Smith, but not after that - the cheesy grin getting wider and wider on his chops the deeper into added time the game went. He thought he'd done us.

United were in relegation trouble and had come to ER on a hiding to nothing; they were kicking our guys and feigning injury all match. Matty certainly made a meal of the contact between him and Easton, but as far as I'm concerned United got exactly what they deserved out of this game nothing.

It took real brass neck for that bunch of cheating toe-rags to start complaining about Hibs afterwards.

Ironic that Freeland became one of our least favourite referees later on.

LeighLoyal
04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I remember him going ballistic and kicking a water bottle at the crowd at Tannadice when Tam McManus scored that late winner. Franck Sauzee's birthday and I think it might have been the first game after the 6-2.

Yeah, I was behind the goal that day, McManus came on as a sub and rattled it past him. Big Franck's birthday present! Very good day! :thumbsup:

The Jack penalty was a corker, as corrupt as Craigie Thomson at Hampden albeit! :greengrin

s.a.m
04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Not really, surely?

IIRC they'd been time-wasting and cheating all match - Lauchlan in particular just could not stay on his feet and every time he went down he took ages to get up, hobble to the touchline, then hobble back on. That was why there was so much added time.

Up till this game I had had a fair bit of respect for Alex Smith, but not after that - the cheesy grin getting wider and wider on his chops the deeper into added time the game went. He thought he'd done us.

United were in relegation trouble and had come to ER on a hiding to nothing; they were kicking our guys and feigning injury all match. Matty certainly made a meal of the contact between him and Easton, but as far as I'm concerned United got exactly what they deserved out of this game nothing.

It took real brass neck for that bunch of cheating toe-rags to start complaining about Hibs afterwards.

Ironic that Freeland became one of our least favourite referees later on.

That's how I remember it. And in particular, the 'not throwing the ball back' incident that Hainan refers to, where Lauchlan threw himself to the ground when we were on the attack and approaching their goal, in the hope of getting play stopped. They were at it.

--------
04-09-2012, 12:09 PM
That's how I remember it. And in particular, the 'not throwing the ball back' incident that Hainan refers to, where Lauchlan threw himself to the ground when we were on the attack and approaching their goal, in the hope of getting play stopped. They were at it.

I know this sounds stupid, but my memory is that the game didn't end until AFTER 5.00pm?

And that they had a young guy making his debut who went through one of our guys - I can't recollect who it was - studs up, both feet, nearly halved him? A clear red card, but the Arabs all mobbed Freeland and in the end the wee ned stayed on?

That was probably the most unacceptable, cynical display from a Scottish team I've seen - barring, of course, numerous occasions from the Greater and Lesser Huns, and the Soap-dodgers, of course. :greengrin

JimBHibees
04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but my memory is that the game didn't end until AFTER 5.00pm?

And that they had a young guy making his debut who went through one of our guys - I can't recollect who it was - studs up, both feet, nearly halved him? A clear red card, but the Arabs all mobbed Freeland and in the end the wee ned stayed on?

That was probably the most unacceptable, cynical display from a Scottish team I've seen - barring, of course, numerous occasions from the Greater and Lesser Huns, and the Soap-dodgers, of course. :greengrin

Was certainly very late can remember it was Hogmanay and I was with the wife in a Newcastle hotel watching the scores come in and it was after all the other games were finished when the Hibs goal was reported.

--------
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Was certainly very late can remember it was Hogmanay and I was with the wife in a Newcastle hotel watching the scores come in and it was after all the other games were finished when the Hibs goal was reported.

That's my recollection - the game was so late finishing I thought there must have been either crowd trouble or a major injury to a player.

Then I found out it was just auld Smith and his toe-rags cheating.

scott7_0(Prague)
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Here you go!!

UNITED goalkeeper Alan Combe was red- carded in the referee's room for an alleged headbutt on assistant referee Jim McBride after a sensational climax to this match. Earlier, a raging United side had jostled referee Alan Freeland after he gave Hibs a penalty in the sixth minute of injury-time. Hibernian midfielder Russell Latapy had to keep his head while everyone else was losing theirs to convert the spot-kick and keep his side's Champions League quest on track in an explosive finale at Easter Road. A mundane 96 minutes of play was suddenly transformed in an incredible ending that saw Alex McLeish's side break the game's unwritten rule of sportsmanship and be rewarded with a last-minute penalty. The villain of the piece was Mathias Jack, who had endured a running battle with the Dundee United midfield in a fierce contest. Hibs, desperate to take advantage of the fact that Rangers and Celtic were idle, became increasingly frustrated at what they saw as time-wasting from the Terrors. But even so, when Combe kicked the ball out of play for colleague Jim Lauchlan to receive treatment in injury time, it was assumed they would be given the ball back. Jack, though, had other ideas, signalling to substitute Dirk Lehmann that he was going to throw the ball towards the United goalline, taking even some of his own players, by surprise. Young substitute Tam McManus was alert to the situation, though, and managed to force a corner from the move, a gesture that enraged United. Latapy raced over to take the corner, and when the ball came into the area, Jack went down after contact from Craig Easton. Freeland pointed to the spot, and United lost the plot. Easton and Jason De Vos were booked, and Latapy had to wait for the drama to die down before he took the penalty. He said: "It's just a penalty. You have to try and do the right thing, and remember all of the things you do when you practice them in training. "Of course, there is more pressure when it is the last minute of the game, and when things go a little crazy you can let it get to you. "We all have our job to do, so I didn't really notice all of the United players going to the referee. I'm sure that if it had gone the other way then it would have been us doing the same thing." Hibs certainly held the upper hand for much of the game, and were denied several times by the excellent Combe, a point blank save from David Zitelli the pick of the keeper's work.

--------
04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Here you go!!

UNITED goalkeeper Alan Combe was red- carded in the referee's room for an alleged headbutt on assistant referee Jim McBride after a sensational climax to this match. Earlier, a raging United side had jostled referee Alan Freeland after he gave Hibs a penalty in the sixth minute of injury-time. Hibernian midfielder Russell Latapy had to keep his head while everyone else was losing theirs to convert the spot-kick and keep his side's Champions League quest on track in an explosive finale at Easter Road. A mundane 96 minutes of play was suddenly transformed in an incredible ending that saw Alex McLeish's side break the game's unwritten rule of sportsmanship and be rewarded with a last-minute penalty. The villain of the piece was Mathias Jack, who had endured a running battle with the Dundee United midfield in a fierce contest. Hibs, desperate to take advantage of the fact that Rangers and Celtic were idle, became increasingly frustrated at what they saw as time-wasting from the Terrors. But even so, when Combe kicked the ball out of play for colleague Jim Lauchlan to receive treatment in injury time, it was assumed they would be given the ball back. Jack, though, had other ideas, signalling to substitute Dirk Lehmann that he was going to throw the ball towards the United goalline, taking even some of his own players, by surprise. Young substitute Tam McManus was alert to the situation, though, and managed to force a corner from the move, a gesture that enraged United. Latapy raced over to take the corner, and when the ball came into the area, Jack went down after contact from Craig Easton. Freeland pointed to the spot, and United lost the plot. Easton and Jason De Vos were booked, and Latapy had to wait for the drama to die down before he took the penalty. He said: "It's just a penalty. You have to try and do the right thing, and remember all of the things you do when you practice them in training. "Of course, there is more pressure when it is the last minute of the game, and when things go a little crazy you can let it get to you. "We all have our job to do, so I didn't really notice all of the United players going to the referee. I'm sure that if it had gone the other way then it would have been us doing the same thing." Hibs certainly held the upper hand for much of the game, and were denied several times by the excellent Combe, a point blank save from David Zitelli the pick of the keeper's work.

Thanks, Scott. My understanding is that Matty Jack's "running battle" with the United midfield consisted of his being kicked black and blue by each of them in turn, with Freeland turning a blind eye every time.

And for them to get stroppy because MJ didn't give them the ball back after yet another bout of "simulation" by Lauchlan really took the biscuit.

Mind, it must have been very frustrating indeed for them to have cheated their way to the 96th minute, and then caused the sort of stramash they did - weren't trying to put pressure on wee Russell, were they? - only to have the whole thing go pear-shaped right at the end.

:devil:

bawheid
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
As reported earlier in this thread Yenettit were at it that day from start to finish, with Lauchlan being the worst of the lot.

I remember the whole east terrace screaming at Matty Jack to "keep it!" when Combe had booted the ball out for yet another faked Lauchlan injury. He did as instructed and justice was eventually served in the 97th minute. Fabulous!

Kato
04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
The Ref confirmed later that the penalty in that game was for hand-ball. Ignore the challenge on MJ and follow the ball over. Two DU players jump and one handles the ball. Pen all the way. Time wasters, in fact they invented many of the ways teams waste time - by "they" of course I mean Jim McLean.

For what it''s worth they were rubbish that season up until that game and came back galvanised a bit after that, saving themselves from relegation.

--------
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
The Ref confirmed later that the penalty in that game was for hand-ball. Ignore the challenge on MJ and follow the ball over. Two DU players jump and one handles the ball. Pen all the way. Time wasters, in fact they invented many of the ways teams waste time - by "they" of course I mean Jim McLean.

For what it''s worth they were rubbish that season up until that game and came back galvanised a bit after that, saving themselves from relegation.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Sweeter yet. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
04-09-2012, 03:30 PM
As reported earlier in this thread Yenettit were at it that day from start to finish, with Lauchlan being the worst of the lot.

I remember the whole east terrace screaming at Matty Jack to "keep it!" when Combe had booted the ball out for yet another faked Lauchlan injury. He did as instructed and justice was eventually served in the 97th minute. Fabulous!

That is exactly how i saw it unfold.

Lauchlan was clearly time wasting with practically the whole 2nd half still remaining! DUFC got there just rewards that day any way, The sqaure root of ****all!!

Well done Matty Jack, And well done Wee Russell for keeping composed for what seemed a lifetime till the eventual penalty was taken.

Hibs battered utd that day.

Eyrie
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM

Early 90s Airdrie were the worst - Diddy's Dirty Diamonds used to kick lumps out of us for 90 minutes.