PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh City Council

Ultrabee1-0
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Just had I an idea, forgive me if its stupid am only 16 I have crazy idea's as it is. The edinburgh city council spend millions of money on trams and just found out tonight they spend 1 million pound on fireworks for the festival & new year! So to the idea I was thinking if the council give a little some of money to hibs&hearts to improve facilities and buy players give us a bigger budget the reason behind this is the money we get to make our clubs more successful could have us challenging for europe? And the league, the amount of revenue the city would make if boths clubs where in europe, would get more tourists over more bums on seats everything would go up. Please no abuse as iv said its just a little idea I though of that could be looked into deeper or if you's agree with me thanks.

SouthMoroccoStu
02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Just had I an idea, forgive me if its stupid am only 16 I have crazy idea's as it is. The edinburgh city council spend millions of money on trams and just found out tonight they spend 1 million pound on fireworks for the festival & new year! So to the idea I was thinking if the council give a little some of money to hibs&hearts to improve facilities and buy players give us a bigger budget the reason behind this is the money we get to make our clubs more successful could have us challenging for europe? And the league, the amount of revenue the city would make if boths clubs where in europe, would get more tourists over more bums on seats everything would go up. Please no abuse as iv said its just a little idea I though of that could be looked into deeper or if you's agree with me thanks.

They are very kind to hearts and would welcome this idea.

They won't even give us the time of day - nevermind money.

For everyone, list the things the council have done to help Hearts / screw Hibs.

TamHibs
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I know a lot of the "higher ups" in the council are Yams but I must be lucky as i work in the council tax department & we literally outnumber the Jambos by 18 to 2. Works been good the last few weeks ;)

Kato
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
It works in European citys but here I think any civic donations would have to be in the way contributions to the up-keep of training facilities or towards things like policing bills.

In the actual real world however the idea that ECC Councilors would give Hibernian FC any dosh is laughable. Those fat f***s who are elected would offer the fluff from their pockets while stealing the sugar out of your tea.

Northernhibee
02-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I would hate for our club to be funded by these parasitic ****wits.

Kato
02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I would hate for our club to be funded by these parasitic ****wits.

That's the spirit. :thumbsup::agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
The council will be stealing themselves for assisting cutting through the redtape to build their joint megastadium to the west of the city. In line with the UK governments planning reforms announced today.

SMAXXA
02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I for one have to disagree with alot of this. How the **** can a council spend that amount of money on, well lets say the parlement, The Trams, The New Forth Road Bridge (propably another disaster, why not have a tunnel, away from the elements and yes a very expensive fireworks display). I would want not a penny paid to Hibs or Hearts, I would however want all that money plouged into more hospitals, better care homes, better schools, better places for our kids to grow up, not into any football club if im honest. Yeah i agree that that cash could have us and hearts im much better state, however we shouldnt be blinkered in what is important and as much as i love hibs, thats not where that money should be spent.

Purple & Green
02-09-2012, 09:18 PM
On the broader point of public funding, I think Scotland has to look to other countries to see how it's done because our current set up has failed, and we need to look to how football clubs are funded because our income and expenditure don't tally up. Well Hibs does, but generally for clubs it doesn't.

Maybe the answer is for Hibs and hearts to work more coherently with public funding in liaison with local colleges with eg the target of giving youth players qualifications in sport science, or coaching.

nonshinyfinish
02-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Can't see any reason why public money should be given to football clubs.

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2012, 09:32 PM

I think your idea is a good one, but there's maybe not enough money just now.

Not sure they should be investing in football clubs (what about Spartans by the way). Investing in more places where people can play football and stay fit might be an idea though.

I think if they give to football, there would be others, like the arts that could fee they are being unfarly treated. They could argue for more council funded performance spaces,for example.

hibees 7062
02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I for one have to disagree with alot of this. How the **** can a council spend that amount of money on, well lets say the parlement, The Trams, The New Forth Road Bridge (propably another disaster, why not have a tunnel, away from the elements and yes a very expensive fireworks display). I would want not a penny paid to Hibs or Hearts, I would however want all that money plouged into more hospitals, better care homes, better schools, better places for our kids to grow up, not into any football club if im honest. Yeah i agree that that cash could have us and hearts im much better state, however we shouldnt be blinkered in what is important and as much as i love hibs, thats not where that money should be spent.

To sensible mate

jacomo
02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Can't see any reason why public money should be given to football clubs.

I think the OP is suggesting the Council could make its money back and more, much like arts funding.

He's got a point. And anyhow Scottish Gov funded the Cup did it not? So it's been done before.

Subbing our policing costs would make a big difference.

jgl07
02-09-2012, 11:22 PM
The most stupid idea I have heard in years.

The only thing that the City Council could do within the terms of their powers is to build or assist with the building of a new (community) stadium or (community) training facilities.

It is patently obvious that the only beneficiaries would be Hearts as Hibs have a fully redeveloped stadium and training facilities. Hearts on the other hand have a stadium that can never meet the new UEFA standards. It has a death trap of a main stand that is stuffed with asbestos and the rest is looking very shoddy. Vlad is hoping that the City will build a new stadium to replace Meadowbank that Hearts can use. This will enable them to sell Tynecastle. As for their training facilities they are struggling to pay the rent at Riccarton and only get the mornings there.

The City Council should concentrate on providing services and leave professional sport to get on with things.

El Gubbz
02-09-2012, 11:59 PM
I know a lot of the "higher ups" in the council are Yams but I must be lucky as i work in the council tax department & we literally outnumber the Jambos by 18 to 2. Works been good the last few weeks ;)
Any jobs going? :greengrin But seriously?

jgl07
03-09-2012, 12:37 AM
I think the OP is suggesting the Council could make its money back and more, much like arts funding.

He's got a point. And anyhow Scottish Gov funded the Cup did it not? So it's been done before.

Subbing our policing costs would make a big difference.

It's not the Scottish Government that is sponsoring the Cup, it is the Scottish criminals via the confiscation of cash from drug dealers etc.

The City Council have say in policing matters. It is an agency of the Scottish Government. There is zero chance of subbing policing costs as most would go to the gruesome twosome in Glasgow.

Jack
03-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Ah young man, the innocence of youth.

Two major factors here.

1. Hibs and hearts.
The council are hearts oriented. There's a long history of Hibs being shafted while palms are greased across the road. This culminated in the money wasted last year around hearts community stadium.

Their arrogance in thinking they could push that through brought on such a furious reaction they will be under intense scrutiny in future.

If they can't subsidize hearts they'll just not give any money to football. Look at how they pre-celebrated the cup final. If there was ever an opportunity to celebrate football in the city that was it.

2. Citizens Vs tourists.
Until the city has been turned into some sort of Disney resort the council won't be happy. Take the football celebration above for the citizens and compare that with the endless festivals and the investment in them for the tourists.

The tram is another excellent example of this. It runs from where the tourists arrive and depart and takes them to their hotels in town. The bit that was most useful to the citizens was cancelled - the fact it was Leith that was worst affected just made the council happier.

And a silly wee minor thing was did you notice the bus trackers at the bus stops had an advert saying you could download the busses app over the last few weeks? Its gone now, it only appears when the tourists do. I feel guilty having it on my phone.

greenginger
03-09-2012, 08:35 AM

I would hope you ensure all payments due from the Pink Palace are made in full and on time and would ( anonymously of course ) flag up any serious deficits. :wink:

Ryan69
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I think a better idea would be if the council were to buy £1,000,0000 of kids season tickets,and distribute them through the schools.
the schools would have so many that they give out eachweek...Its a no lose situation really!

Promoting Hibs/Hearts to the future generation,creating income....The list is endless.

Would be a nightmare trying to get a pie at half time though...:brickwall

Ryan69
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Maybe 500,000 is a more realistic figure though,say it got priced at £150.

FifeHibernian
03-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Ah young man, the innocence of youth.

Two major factors here.

1. Hibs and hearts.
The council are hearts oriented. There's a long history of Hibs being shafted while palms are greased across the road. This culminated in the money wasted last year around hearts community stadium.

Their arrogance in thinking they could push that through brought on such a furious reaction they will be under intense scrutiny in future.

If they can't subsidize hearts they'll just not give any money to football. Look at how they pre-celebrated the cup final. If there was ever an opportunity to celebrate football in the city that was it.

2. Citizens Vs tourists.
Until the city has been turned into some sort of Disney resort the council won't be happy. Take the football celebration above for the citizens and compare that with the endless festivals and the investment in them for the tourists.

The tram is another excellent example of this. It runs from where the tourists arrive and depart and takes them to their hotels in town. The bit that was most useful to the citizens was cancelled - the fact it was Leith that was worst affected just made the council happier.

And a silly wee minor thing was did you notice the bus trackers at the bus stops had an advert saying you could download the busses app over the last few weeks? Its gone now, it only appears when the tourists do. I feel guilty having it on my phone.

Are you serious? You sound like a mad conspiracy theorist. I doubt their failure to send the tram to leith was deliberately designed to somehow spite the area around hibs football stadium. Most people just don't care that much about football. Most don't let it get in the way of friendships never mind a million pound infrastructure project. Not sending it to Leith has in fact worked entirely against them as they now look like total *****. I doubt they would sacrifice their reputations in some fiendish plot to spite hibs

Hibercelona
03-09-2012, 06:21 PM
It would never happen. The council would hate to give Hibs a penny. Although i'm sure they'll be on hand to bail out Hearts when they need it. Just like when they were going to build them a new stadium for nothing.

TamHibs
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Any jobs going? :greengrin But seriously?

Think we are recruiting late this month, early next month. I'll keep my ears open ;)

Jack
03-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Are you serious? You sound like a mad conspiracy theorist. I doubt their failure to send the tram to leith was deliberately designed to somehow spite the area around hibs football stadium. Most people just don't care that much about football. Most don't let it get in the way of friendships never mind a million pound infrastructure project. Not sending it to Leith has in fact worked entirely against them as they now look like total *****. I doubt they would sacrifice their reputations in some fiendish plot to spite hibs

The tram not coming to Leith is separate from them not liking Hibs.

The leaders of Edinburgh have shafted the people of Leith for centuries - including making it legal to shoot Leithers on sight!

Did you know about the referendum where the people of Leith voted something like 10 - 1 to remain separate from Edinburgh only for it to be ignored, that wasn't even 100 years ago. Imagine if the same happened in a couple of years time.

FifeHibernian
03-09-2012, 10:10 PM
The tram not coming to Leith is separate from them not liking Hibs.

The leaders of Edinburgh have shafted the people of Leith for centuries - including making it legal to shoot Leithers on sight!

Did you know about the referendum where the people of Leith voted something like 10 - 1 to remain separate from Edinburgh only for it to be ignored, that wasn't even 100 years ago. Imagine if the same happened in a couple of years time.

Are you suggesting that collective mind of council was happy that Leith was left out just because in the distant past leaders of Edinburgh mistreated leith?

There have been silly laws throughout history that have no influence on opinions today. There may have once been a silly law regarding leithers but i doubt it effects the way the council think about Leith today. Up until the 1920's women couldn't vote. It doesn't mean that the council still have some sort of wild and irrational contempt for them.

Most people at the council barely think about these things I imagine and just want to get on with their jobs. All opinions I suppose! I just always think of the song "It's a conspiracy" when I hear this stuff

monktonharp
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
The most stupid idea I have heard in years.

The only thing that the City Council could do within the terms of their powers is to build or assist with the building of a new (community) stadium or (community) training facilities.

It is patently obvious that the only beneficiaries would be Hearts as Hibs have a fully redeveloped stadium and training facilities. Hearts on the other hand have a stadium that can never meet the new UEFA standards. It has a death trap of a main stand that is stuffed with asbestos and the rest is looking very shoddy. Vlad is hoping that the City will build a new stadium to replace Meadowbank that Hearts can use. This will enable them to sell Tynecastle. As for their training facilities they are struggling to pay the rent at Riccarton and only get the mornings there.

The City Council should concentrate on providing services and leave professional sport to get on with things.I think you are being a tad unfair on the OP. the laddie has announced that he is 16 years old, and for me that is "good for you" young man, for having an opinion and prepared to speak up. his suggestion is quite laudible, imho. and for those that seem to think that it is all the cooncil's fault that we are building a 3rd bridge???? it's f/ck all to do wi' the cooncil is it? unless it's gonnae be the Edinburgh Coucil Bridge, is it? didnae ken ma cooncil tax was for building a bridge. on the other hand, I'd prefer a tunnel, gie unemployed miners a job,cos that's what they were good at, trained for, diggin' and drivin' tunnels.the trams, well that is a whole different ball game, a shocking mess that will get a lot worse in the long run, again imho. the lad has not suggested building a community stadium has he? that will now never happen, as it's plain to see (in our Hibee opinion) that it would be so biased towards the gorgie mob, that it cant happen.

jgl07
03-09-2012, 11:07 PM
I think you are being a tad unfair on the OP. the laddie has announced that he is 16 years old, and for me that is "good for you" young man, for having an opinion and prepared to speak up. his suggestion is quite laudible, imho. and for those that seem to think that it is all the cooncil's fault that we are building a 3rd bridge???? it's f/ck all to do wi' the cooncil is it? unless it's gonnae be the Edinburgh Coucil Bridge, is it? didnae ken ma cooncil tax was for building a bridge. on the other hand, I'd prefer a tunnel, gie unemployed miners a job,cos that's what they were good at, trained for, diggin' and drivin' tunnels.the trams, well that is a whole different ball game, a shocking mess that will get a lot worse in the long run, again imho. the lad has not suggested building a community stadium has he? that will now never happen, as it's plain to see (in our Hibee opinion) that it would be so biased towards the gorgie mob, that it cant happen.

Thye fact remains that the only action that Edinburgh City could take is to build a community stadium for Hearts. Nothing else would be allowed within the law.

The Third Bridge is nothing to do with Edinburgh City (who have actually opposed it). It is a Scottish Government project to pay off Salmond's backers.

Hibs do not need and should not welcome any intervention by the City Council. Let Hearts sort out their own stadium problems and let Edinburgh City do the job they were elected to do. That is nothing to do with propping up professional sports teams.

WellingtonHibby
04-09-2012, 04:41 AM

Pretty sure you cant blame ECC for state govt projects.

Kato
04-09-2012, 08:36 AM
let Edinburgh City do the job they were elected to do..

That would be novel.

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2012, 09:34 AM

I'm not so sure. I remember taking a wrong turning one day when I went to enquire about my council tax.

I came into a room where there was a massive submarine dock, and all these guys in orange boiler suits running around this place. Sitting on a revolving chair, stroking a white cat, was the figure of Steve Cardownie. "So Cardownie, this is where all the money for the trams has gone", I asked, "a vanity project for you?"

"Ho ho, Mr Rolls, I think you sound like a mad conspiracy theorist. We are so rich, we can build this off the inflated sums we are charging Hibs for Council Tax".

"You'll never get away with it", I said before being told to "get tae France you", by a security guard.

A true story, but I have changed some of the names for legal reasons. It was Lezley Hynds that was stroking her pussy, not Cardownie.

discman
04-09-2012, 09:43 AM
If the council was paying for them why was the event called The Virgin Money firework concert? :wink:

southsider
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Both the main stand at the old ER and at the pbc were condemned as unfit for purpose. 7 years down the line ours has been replaced (west) whilst they spend their cash on players and the old main stand at the pbs and is, i am affraid to say a death trap but edc keeps giving them a licience for it. this must be closed forthwidth before a fatality occurs. it is only a mater of time i think but pray i am wrong.edc hate our team so next time they come grovelling for a vote ask them. ggtth

Kato
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Both the main stand at the old ER and at the pbc were condemned as unfit for purpose. 7 years down the line ours has been replaced (west) whilst they spend their cash on players and the old main stand at the pbs and is, i am affraid to say a death trap but edc keeps giving them a licience for it. this must be closed forthwidth before a fatality occurs. it is only a mater of time i think but pray i am wrong.edc hate our team so next time they come grovelling for a vote ask them. ggtth

I've a theory.

The Council conspire with Hearts to allow them a safety certificate, even though the asbestos ridden section of the ground has been condemned as unsafe and the other pro-football team in the City has taken the necessary steps to replace their old stand.

There. I've said it.

A conspiracy theory.

Not even a hint of paranoia. Just fact.

greenginger
04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I've a theory.

The Council conspire with Hearts to allow them a safety certificate, even though the asbestos ridden section of the ground has been condemned as unsafe and the other pro-football team in the City has taken the necessary steps to replace their old stand.

There. I've said it.

A conspiracy theory.

Not even a hint of paranoia. Just fact.

Our Rod mentioned another couple of things at the last AGM I think.

Hibs were told back in 1999 that the Safety Certicate for the old main stand was not going to be renewed under any circumstances hence the consruction of the new stand. Hearts were told the same thing but a decade on and plenty of plans and proposals but nothing concrete.

Before Hibs opted for East Mains as a training centre the Club , City Officials and Sports Scotland had a scheme for a football centre of excellence at Hunters Hall. It would double as a training centre for Hibs and a community sports centre similar to a several others in the country.
Sport Scotland were going to pick up the bulk of the construction costs but a " Political Decision " was made to scrap the scheme.

No paranoia , just more facts from which supporters/voters should draw their own conclusions.

NAE NOOKIE
05-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Edinburgh cooncil is a hotbed of Yammery ... with a few notable exceptions.

If that fud Black had actually gonna been painting ER Maroon they probably would have swung fur the paint & brushes.

They wouldnt even allow Hibs an early license for behind the goals for 12:30 kick offs. Apparently to stop p1shed up Hibbies destrurbing the peace of the residents of Lochend and Leith. Coz that happens every time behind the goals empties oot.