PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jonjo Shelvey

hibee bouncer
02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Craig Levein looking at the possibility of Jonjo Shelvey representing Scotland as he qualifies through his Grandmother......yet more evidence that Levein is useless and needs to go! Shelvey has got to be one of the worst midfielders in the Premiership!

Godsahibby
02-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Im sure he tried to get him already and got knocked back, Im sure he spoke to him the same time he tried getting Carroll and Coates (the Uruguay centre half at Liverpool)

clerriehibs
02-09-2012, 09:05 AM
It's pathetic, this trawling around for players who've never even looked out for a scotland result in their life, never mind supported them! It's like we offer scotland places as a consolation prize to players who'll never be good enough for the national team they consider theirs, while our own boys are frozen out.

bingo70
02-09-2012, 09:06 AM
He is utterly pish.

If he was actually Scottish and playing in Scotland he'd be nowhere near a call up.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
It's pathetic, this trawling around for players who've never even looked out for a scotland result in their life, never mind supported them! It's like we offer scotland places as a consolation prize as they'll never be good enough for the national team they consider theirs, while our own boys are frozen out.

Thats what every country does these days, rightly or wrongly?

Hibs Class
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
On balance I'd rather potter picked shelvey's granny (& wouldn't put it past him)

jdships
02-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Levein is simply not the right man to take Scotland forward
Statements about how good a squad he has when he has won three from eight begs the question ' "Well, if they're that good how come you're not making more of them?" It's a question that Levein hasn't found an answer to yet. ' ( quote from Scotsman )
Looks like another ' well there's always next time !!

LeighLoyal
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Latrine is a turkey of the first magnitude. He won't pick up the phone to a £14m striker, the only class striker Scotland have had since the 90's, but he'll move the mountain to Mohammed for misfits like Shelvey. GTF Latrine.

PeterboroHibee
02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Levein is an idiot. I accept that most national teams will call up guys who arent from that country, but Levein has been throwing about caps to bog standard English players whilst continually ignoring good Scottish players.

Craig_in_Prague
02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
I really dislike Levein and want him out too.. But on the other hand I really want us to qualify for BRAZIL and thus, will be cheering the team on big time next week.

clerriehibs
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM

I'll take the same stance as toomanydjs

Hainan Hibs
02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
He's taking every bit of pride he can out the jersey. I don't mind when it's players like Rhodes who consider themselves Scottish, but players such as James Morrison who declare things such as "it's a shame England never came calling" or "I don't particularly feel Scottish" can do one.

There are players like James McArthur at Wigan who are missing out due to Levein including English players who don't even want to be there, turning up due to being too ***** for England.

Holmesdale Hibs
02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Levein is a fanny - that's not up for debate - but Shelvy would improve the Scotland squad and, so long as he's fully committed, I don't have a problem with Potter picking him.

Hainan Hibs
02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Here is one photo that sums up how much of a joke this is,

http://nfs.stvfiles.com/imagebase/98/605x339/98885-jonjo-shelvey-has-played-at-youth-level-for-england-but-may-switch-to-scotland.jpg

Cocaine&Caviar
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
It doesn't matter how good he is, and I actually think he has the potential to be a great player, much like Coates. But they're NOT Scottish, it absolutely breaks my heart, as it makes me fall out of love with the Scotland team. Not that I don't like English, but I'd much rather see a less successful team full of young Scots that a slightly less rubbish one that sold ta soul.

Gilks
Bardsley
Fox
McLevely
Martin
Morrison
Phillips
Commons
Mackie
Rhodes
Mikael-Smith
Etc GTF.

And get McCarthy & McGeady back in.

machibby
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Said it before, Levein seams to think he's some managerial genius trawling up the hidden Scottish lineage of players. All that publicity he drummed up for Driver, all that effort and yet he can't be bothered to use some man management skills to sort out the Fletcher mess. Goes on constantly about the difference between The two Fletchers and only wanting players who want to truly want to play, yet fails to acknowledge that he himself was the guy who broke the players trust and confidence in him by dragging him to the czech republic with absolutely no intention of playing him.

Scouse Hibee
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
There's no doubt about it, he's good enough to play for Scotland.

Cocaine&Caviar
02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
He's taking every bit of pride he can out the jersey. I don't mind when it's players like Rhodes who consider themselves Scottish, but players such as James Morrison who declare things such as "it's a shame England never came calling" or "I don't particularly feel Scottish" can do one.

There are players like James McArthur at Wigan who are missing out due to Levein including English players who don't even want to be there, turning up due to being too ***** for England.

How is Rhodes any different?

Cocaine&Caviar
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
McGregor, Gordon

Hutton, Whittaker
Caldwell, Webster
Berra, Hanley
Wallace, Mulgrew

McGeady, Forrest
Adam, Bannan
Dorrans, McArthur
Snodgrass, Wylde

Fletcher, Russell
Naismith, McCormack

PURE squad, great talent in there, and thats without the likes of Burke, Cowie, Maloney, Brown, Black, Fletcher, Miller, Mackay-Steven, Templeton, Goodwillie etc

Sorry to sound like a 1940s German Dictator, but it's how it should be for every nation IMO.

Hainan Hibs
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
How is Rhodes any different?

Rhodes quote "I feel incredibly Scottish"

Morrison quote " I don't feel particularly Scottish"

I think there is a difference between players like Rhodes who are filled with pride when pulling on the shirt and players like Morrison who do it to have a kick about in an international.

Cocaine&Caviar
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Rhodes quote "I feel incredibly Scottish"

Morrison quote " I don't feel particularly Scottish"

I think there is a difference between players like Rhodes who are filled with pride when pulling on the shirt and players like Morrison who do it to have a kick about in an international.

That's a very easy sentence to put together though isn't it? A one liner like that doesnt convince me that he has tartan running through his veins (gag worthy I know). Although the fact he represented us at U21 would give it much more credence, but that opens the McCarthy/McGeady door.

woodythehibee
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
There's no doubt about it, he's good enough to play for Scotland.

Jonjo shelvey is awful.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
S'pose by doing this, Levein is showing that he will do all that he can, to pick the best players that are out there for Scotland, and that there are no personal issues at the bottom of any of his actions.:rolleyes:

Postman
02-09-2012, 10:12 AM
My interest in the Scottish national team is currently at an all time low with that idiot in charge and I will only attend a couple of the qualifiers at home this year and I very rarely missed any in the past. His priority at the moment has to be Fletcher and my hope is that his failure to sort that out will speed up his departure. However, Scotland have to take advantage of any players that qualify for the team as its what everyone else does and some to great effect. Germany are still widely regarded as one of the best teams in the world yet half the team are not in the slightest bit German.

That said, Jonjo Shelvey is brutal!

500miles
02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I believe that players should name their preferred National side at the age of 18, and commit to that team. No second choices because they won't make it, but I also believe that it should be more than about where you were born - this isn't about racial purtiy or supremicy. If laddies like Rhodes spent thier childhood in Scotland, and grew up behind the Scotland team, they should be allowed to represent the team they support. If players like McCarthy have a genuine desire to play for their grandfather's team - McCarthy promised to make his dying Grandad proud by playing for the nation of his birth - then that's fair do's as well. What I don't like is "England won't give me a game, I may as well bump up my value by getting some international caps with Scotland." or "I'm a celtic fan, and we're aw oirish, eh?". So as it stands, I don't mind the system. Sadly, I think Levien's use of it is baffling, as are most of his decisions.

What really annoys me though, is that this has the potential to be the best Scotland team in my lifetime, and he is so defensive, stubborn and arrogant, he won't play the best players for tactical and - most unforgivable - personal reasons. Sadly, he won't get sacked any time soon.

carnoustiehibee
02-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Jonjo shelvey is awful.

:agree: the worst midfielder in the two games v jambos and always gives the ball away. let potter pick him, it will mean he gets punted even quicker.

jacomo
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Said it before, Levein seams to think he's some managerial genius trawling up the hidden Scottish lineage of players. All that publicity he drummed up for Driver, all that effort and yet he can't be bothered to use some man management skills to sort out the Fletcher mess. Goes on constantly about the difference between The two Fletchers and only wanting players who want to truly want to play, yet fails to acknowledge that he himself was the guy who broke the players trust and confidence in him by dragging him to the czech republic with absolutely no intention of playing him.

:agree:

His snidey comments on Fletchers transfer to the Makems showed just how mediocre an individual Levein really is.

Cocaine&Caviar
02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I believe that players should name their preferred National side at the age of 18, and commit to that team. No second choices because they won't make it, but I also believe that it should be more than about where you were born - this isn't about racial purtiy or supremicy. If laddies like Rhodes spent thier childhood in Scotland, and grew up behind the Scotland team, they should be allowed to represent the team they support. If players like McCarthy have a genuine desire to play for their grandfather's team - McCarthy promised to make his dying Grandad proud by playing for the nation of his birth - then that's fair do's as well. What I don't like is "England won't give me a game, I may as well bump up my value by getting some international caps with Scotland." or "I'm a celtic fan, and we're aw oirish, eh?". So as it stands, I don't mind the system. Sadly, I think Levien's use of it is baffling, as are most of his decisions.

What really annoys me though, is that this has the potential to be the best Scotland team in my lifetime, and he is so defensive, stubborn and arrogant, he won't play the best players for tactical and - most unforgivable - personal reasons. Sadly, he won't get sacked any time soon.

10/10 every word of that

Scouse Hibee
02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Jonjo shelvey is awful.

Whoosh! :greengrin

CorrieHibs
02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Levein is a idiot. We have a 12 million pound striker (Fletcher) and a 8 million pound striker (Rhodes) and he still says that Kenny Miller is his first choice. He's clueless.
Looking at the current squad, we could have more English players than Scottish players in the starting 11. We have to pick these players though. Its bad but we have two Scottish born players who would rather play for Ireland.

woodythehibee
02-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Whoosh! :greengrin

I'm pretty convinced that the current Scotland squad is a lot stronger without Jonjo Shelvey. He wouldn't make the bench.

Since90+2
02-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Levein is a idiot. We have a 12 million pound striker (Fletcher) and a 8 million pound striker (Rhodes) and he still says that Kenny Miller is his first choice. He's clueless.
Looking at the current squad, we could have more English players than Scottish players in the starting 11. We have to pick these players though. Its bad but we have two Scottish born players who would rather play for Ireland.

Which is a shame because if you put Aiden McGeady & James McArthur in that side with Steven Fletcher I think we would have a shout of qualifying. As it stands at the minute we are more likely to finish bottom.

Cocaine&Caviar
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Looking at the current squad, we could have more English players than Scottish players in the starting 11. We have to pick these players though..

why do we?

CorrieHibs
02-09-2012, 08:35 PM
If we take out Morrison, Rhodes and Bardsley out of squad. What Scottish players would u have in that are better than those 3?

Frazerbob
03-09-2012, 12:58 AM

It's not just football either. Senn Lineen, the former Kiwi Scotland rugby player, is employed by the SRU to find "Scottish" talent around the World. If the rule's there, it would be folly not to use it. We are far enough behind our traditional rivals as it is without hadicapping ourselves further.

Having said that.......Shelvey is utter gash and Levein is a prick!

FitbaFolkKen
03-09-2012, 01:04 AM
It is rubbish we are chasing the likes of Shelvey when he should be dragging Fletcher in and sorting out their differences. Surely that's a much easier way to get a quality player for the squad?:confused:

Gala Foxes
03-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Levein is priceless, spends hours trawling birth certificates to find the Scottish grannies of average English players that would never get a game for their country of birth and neglects a proven Premiership goalscorer / player.

He is a smug, arrogant individual who thinks he is some sort of super Manager

Shelvey looks dire, would be well matched with Ian Black then

easty
03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
It's not just football either. Senn Lineen, the former Kiwi Scotland rugby player, is employed by the SRU to find "Scottish" talent around the World. If the rule's there, it would be folly not to use it. We are far enough behind our traditional rivals as it is without hadicapping ourselves further.

We should take the moral high ground. We're no going to win the world cup or European championships whether or not we take England's rejects. I'd rather we just picked Scots to play for Scotland, and had a decent manager who can hopefully get the best out of them in the hope we qualify for a major tournament every now and then.

We've been picking plastic Scots for years now, and where's that got us!

1875er
03-09-2012, 08:07 AM
We should take the moral high ground. We're no going to win the world cup or European championships whether or not we take England's rejects. I'd rather we just picked Scots to play for Scotland, and had a decent manager who can hopefully get the best out of them in the hope we qualify for a major tournament every now and then.

We've been picking plastic Scots for years now, and where's that got us!

Great post easty....Nail firmly on head.

Part/Time Supporter
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Levein is priceless, spends hours trawling birth certificates to find the Scottish grannies of average English players that would never get a game for their country of birth and neglects a proven Premiership goalscorer / player.

He is a smug, arrogant individual who thinks he is some sort of super Manager

Shelvey looks dire, would be well matched with Ian Black then

Levein says he doesn't pick Fletcher because he said he didn't want to play for Scotland (once). Levein then says he won't contact Fletcher to see if he has changed his mind, it's up to Fletcher to contact him.

Jonjo Shelvey says he doesn't want to play for Scotland at all. Levein keeps contacting him to see if he has changed his mind. Eh?

SMAXXA
03-09-2012, 09:15 AM
I hope he does play for us, I don't rate him at all and thing he's pretty pish therfore anything that could contribute that welt Levein gettin the bullet would do for me.

Has jay spearing got a scottish dug aswell by any chance? Get one numpty get another free

johnrebus
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I hope he does play for us, I don't rate him at all and thing he's pretty pish therfore anything that could contribute that welt Levein gettin the bullet would do for me.
Has jay spearing got a scottish dug aswell by any chance? Get one numpty get another free

Reckon we don't have long to wait anyway.

Need to take six points from opening two games at Hampden, because the next round of matches in October are away to Wales and Belgium.

My guess is that with around four points from four matches, Potter will finally get his jotters.

:cb

JimBHibees
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
IMO Shelvey could definitely do a job for Scotland.

Compare and contrast Levein's attitude and behaviour towards King Barry who had disgraced his country with Steven Fletcher. It is night and day yet he fails to be self aware enough to realise it. His regular cheap shots at Fletcher are also the sign of a very small minded individual and not one suited to leading a national team or inspiring a nations supporters. As it is I think Levein is a decent coach and has improved the team to some extent however Potter's stubborn attitude really doesnt help him at all.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM

:agree: Whats the point in cutting off your nose to spite your face? Maybe i should ask potter that eh. That mans a prick of the highest order, and i expect us to fail to qualify for this next world cup under him.

I'd be ecstatic if we did, maybe even make a wee holiday to Brazil for a fortnight, but if we do as i expect, this prick should be emptied as quick as possible.

--------
03-09-2012, 09:46 AM

So we have Sean Lineen trawling the world for rugby opayers with Scottish grannies, and Levein trawling the world looking for football players with Scottish grannies, just to maintain the standard of the Scottish rugby and football teams, so we don't fall too far behind our traditional rivals by playing teams that are actually recognisably Scottish?

Wow! This's really been working a treat so far - we're the terrors of world rugby and odds-on favourites for the next World Cup.

When the SRU and SFA don't have to carefully select one or two of the very few players with Scottish accents for the post-match interviews - that is, not a Yorkshireman, or a Cockney, or a Geordie, or an Australian, or a South African, or a Kiwi or whatever - I might just start giving a damn about the results of the team.

The team as it stands is NOT what I would consider "Scotland". It's an SFA All-Nations Select XI.

Frazerbob
03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
So we have Sean Lineen trawling the world for rugby opayers with Scottish grannies, and Levein trawling the world looking for football players with Scottish grannies, just to maintain the standard of the Scottish rugby and football teams, so we don't fall too far behind our traditional rivals by playing teams that are actually recognisably Scottish?

Wow! This's really been working a treat so far - we're the terrors of world rugby and odds-on favourites for the next World Cup.

When the SRU and SFA don't have to carefully select one or two of the very few players with Scottish accents for the post-match interviews - that is, not a Yorkshireman, or a Cockney, or a Geordie, or an Australian, or a South African, or a Kiwi or whatever - I might just start giving a damn about the results of the team.

The team as it stands is NOT what I would consider "Scotland". It's an SFA All-Nations Select XI.

The rugby team is doing pretty well. Undefeated in the southern hemisphere including a win Oz isn't to be sniffed at. Lineen himself is a great example of an adopted Scot who did extremely well and is still working very hard for Scottish rugby. He was coaching with Scotland then Glasgow until he took up his new role. Every country in the World looks beyond the obvious nationals. NZ and Austalia pillage all the Southern Pacific islands and have done for decades. France use their African links and Italy play anyone who's ever eaten a pizza.

It's the way of the World these days so why should we be different?

JimBHibees
03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
The rugby team is doing pretty well. Undefeated in the southern hemisphere including a win Oz isn't to be sniffed at. Lineen himself is a great example of an adopted Scot who did extremely well and is still working very hard for Scottish rugby. He was coaching with Scotland then Glasgow until he took up his new role. Every country in the World looks beyond the obvious nationals. NZ and Austalia pillage all the Southern Pacific islands and have done for decades. France use their African links and Italy play anyone who's ever eaten a pizza.

It's the way of the World these days so why should we be different?

Absolutely right it is pretty shameful IMO the way that particularly NZ have been able to do this. The rules need to be tighter in all sports IMO as shown by the English test cricket team having as many SA players than English. The grandparent route is reasonable I think as it at least shows a blood mine not sure about the schooling or residency rule at all especially when talk of Novo playing for Scotland.

Saorsa
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
It's the rule that is wrong IMO, cannae blame people for trying tae take advantage of it. Too bad the idiot potter is the one using the rule and still picking *****e like this guy so it's hardly an advantage. I'll not support Scotland or even take an interest in it while that prick is the manager but I'd still find it hard tae be enthusiastic for a team full of players who are only playing for Scotland tae boost their profile as an international and because they cannae get a game elsewhere. The rule should be the country of your birth or that of either of your parents and that should be it IMO.

Cocaine&Caviar
03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
If we take out Morrison, Rhodes and Bardsley out of squad. What Scottish players would u have in that are better than those 3?

Here:

McGregor, Gordon

Hutton, Whittaker
Caldwell, Webster
Berra, Hanley
Wallace, Mulgrew

McGeady, Forrest
Adam, Bannan
Dorrans, McArthur
Snodgrass, Wylde

Fletcher, Russell
Naismith, McCormack

PURE squad, great talent in there, and thats without the likes of Burke, Cowie, Maloney, Brown, Black, Fletcher, Miller, Mackay-Steven, Templeton, Goodwillie etc

SMAXXA
03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Here's a novel idea, when your born or get your first passport how about you have your nationality and country of birth, that's who you are and no deviation.

Mind wouldn't be taking my pregnant wife to latvia or the likes for a holiday incase she dropped, poor bairn.

Still think you nail your colours to the mast or your parents so when your born and no chopping and switching sides cause your not good enough to get into your own national team.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Here's a novel idea, when your born or get your first passport how about you have your nationality and country of birth, that's who you are and no deviation.

Mind wouldn't be taking my pregnant wife to latvia or the likes for a holiday incase she dropped, poor bairn.

Still think you nail your colours to the mast or your parents so when your born and no chopping and switching sides cause your not good enough to get into your own national team.

I agree with that, in fact i think 99% of us would agree with that. The problem is, its not just where you are born and your parents now, those days have gone and the whole world are picking up players with very weak connections.

We can ignore that and still not qualify, or try and bridge the gap by using the rules to our advantage?

Its difficult, but i'm in the camp of doing as the others are doing.

Part/Time Supporter
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Anyone who plays international football has to have the relevant passport. The complication with UK is a) one passport for four national teams and b) you have Ireland on our doorstep who give passports to anyone with an Irish grandparent, including NI.

LeighLoyal
03-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Lineen and Levein, pair of beauties they are. I'd rather lose with Scots, national pride and identity for me is the same as sporting integrity and beyond purchase as Rod would put it. Just because others are doing it and it's in the rules doesn't make it acceptable. It's like the loans we had at Hampden tweeting they don't give a sh it after the 5-1. No pride or passion because they are not ours. Latrine would rather have some Anglo with a Scots great granny or disant residency than our best striker in a generation playing in the dark blue. Shameful.

Part/Time Supporter
03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Lineen and Levein, pair of beauties they are. I'd rather lose with Scots, national pride and identity for me is the same as sporting integrity and beyond purchase as Rod would put it. Just because others are doing it and it's in the rules doesn't make it acceptable. It's like the loans we had at Hampden tweeting they don't give a sh it after the 5-1. No pride or passion because they are not ours. Latrine would rather have some Anglo with a Scots great granny or disant residency than our best striker in a generation playing in the dark blue. Shameful.

...who was born in Shrewsbury and only moved to Scotland because his father died when he was young, which meant his mother wanted to move back home.

grunt
03-09-2012, 10:49 AM
It is rubbish we are chasing the likes of Shelvey when he should be dragging Fletcher in and sorting out their differences. Surely that's a much easier way to get a quality player for the squad?:confused:

I thought the article by Bathgate in today's Scotsman was absolute rubbish, even by his standards.

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/opinion/comment/stuart-bathgate-levein-entitled-to-stand-firm-but-fletcher-looks-self-indulgent-1-2502801

LeighLoyal
03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
...who was born in Shrewsbury and only moved to Scotland because his father died when he was young, which meant his mother wanted to move back home.

Mother was Scots, say no more. He was raised in Scotland by his Scots mother.

--------
03-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Which means his MOTHER is Scots, right?

He lived most of his life in Scotland, right?

And began his career playing for a Scottish team, right?

How many of Levein's new picks can claim half as much?

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Mother was Scots, say no more. He was raised in Scotland by his Scots mother.

So you only want to bend the rules a wee bit?

--------
03-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Let me get this right. Fletcher's dad was English, his mum is Scots. So on descent he's dual-qualified.

So are YOU saying that the fact he was born in England should be the deciding factor?

A player can only play for the country he was born in?

So Joe Baker - Scots dad, Scots mum, born in Lancashire (poor lad!) and moved back to Scotland at six weeks old, was actually a full-blown Englishman? That the rules back then were right in preventing him from playing for Scotland?

You reckon there's no middle ground between the travesty we have now, or the travesty we had then?

LeighLoyal
03-09-2012, 11:08 AM

He has a Scots mother, how is that bending the rules? Bending the rules is the residency nonsense. It basically ensures we'll have a non Scots national team down the line, the future Novo's and Amoruso's will be in the team via residency. That won't bother you though. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Let me get this right. Fletcher's dad was English, his mum is Scots. So on descent he's dual-qualified.

So are YOU saying that the fact he was born in England should be the deciding factor?

A player can only play for the country he was born in?

So Joe Baker - Scots dad, Scots mum, born in Lancashire (poor lad!) and moved back to Scotland at six weeks old, was actually a full-blown Englishman? That the rules back then were right in preventing him from playing for Scotland?

You reckon there's no middle ground between the travesty we have now, or the travesty we had then?

He has a Scots mother, how is that bending the rules? Bending the rules is the residency nonsense. It basically ensures we'll have a non Scots national team down the line, the future Novo's and Amoruso's will be in the team via residency. That won't bother you though. :confused:

He's English, born in England. If we only want Scots in the team, that rules him out, unless as i said you only want the rules bent a little?

ScottB
03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
If you've got Scottish parents, then you're in, regardless of where you were born. If you grew up here, and 'feel' Scottish, then why not. Look at someone like Mo Farah, he wasn't born in Britain, but he certainly looks like he was proud to compete for us, he grew up in the country.

It becomes ridiculous when you get someone like Shelvey, who has played for England, and stated he doesn't want to play for Scotland. Even approaching him is an insult to every Scottish player who could be picked. He isn't Scottish, he isn't even attempting the courtesy of saying he 'feels' it or would consider it an honour. That's just international mercenaries, and it's wrong.

Getting a Rhodes in, who has always said he feels Scottish, or even an Andy Driver type player, who at least grew up in the country and plays in the Scottish leagues, is one thing, but going begging to average English players when there are plenty talented young Scottish players who should be getting blooded is an utter nonsense, and the latest in a string of what I'd consider sackable offences.

I consider him the worst Scotland manager in my lifetime, and things will get worse yet. Can only hope the media and the SFA finally turn against him, as Burley or Voghts would have been sacked on his miserable record.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
If you've got Scottish parents, then you're in, regardless of where you were born. If you grew up here, and 'feel' Scottish, then why not. Look at someone like Mo Farah, he wasn't born in Britain, but he certainly looks like he was proud to compete for us, he grew up in the country.

It becomes ridiculous when you get someone like Shelvey, who has played for England, and stated he doesn't want to play for Scotland. Even approaching him is an insult to every Scottish player who could be picked. He isn't Scottish, he isn't even attempting the courtesy of saying he 'feels' it or would consider it an honour. That's just international mercenaries, and it's wrong.

Getting a Rhodes in, who has always said he feels Scottish, or even an Andy Driver type player, who at least grew up in the country and plays in the Scottish leagues, is one thing, but going begging to average English players when there are plenty talented young Scottish players who should be getting blooded is an utter nonsense, and the latest in a string of what I'd consider sackable offences.

I consider him the worst Scotland manager in my lifetime, and things will get worse yet. Can only hope the media and the SFA finally turn against him, as Burley or Voghts would have been sacked on his miserable record.

That was not the rule only a few years ago, you played for the country where you were born. Then this rule came in, then the grandparent rule, now we have what we have. You cant in my opinion have a little bit of leeway, its either nothing or what we currently have?

CorrieHibs
03-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Here:

McGregor, Gordon

Hutton, Whittaker
Caldwell, Webster
Berra, Hanley
Wallace, Mulgrew

McGeady, Forrest
Adam, Bannan
Dorrans, McArthur
Snodgrass, Wylde

Fletcher, Russell
Naismith, McCormack

I said who wasn't in the squad. Wallace and Whittaker aren't better than Bardsley.
McGeady never wanted to play for Scotland or I would have him in. McArthur isn't as good as Morrison. Fletcher doesn't want to be picked either and Russell isn't as good as Rhodes. Thats why Levein picks them as they are better than the scottish born players. I'm not defending levein I think he's a idiot but he is picking the best players who can and who want to play for scotland. Shelvey at this point i wouldn't have him in i would rather have Commons another Englishman.

Unfortunatley we have to do this. Germany, France and Ireland do it.

clerriehibs
03-09-2012, 11:48 AM
That was not the rule only a few years ago, you played for the country where you were born. Then this rule came in, then the grandparent rule, now we have what we have. You cant in my opinion have a little bit of leeway, its either nothing or what we currently have?

When a player goes pro, a part of fifa registration should be "what's your nationality for international football".

And then we'd only ever have people who consider themselves of that nation playing for a given nation. Apart from the occasional wonderkids who might always choose brazil of course.

--------
03-09-2012, 11:53 AM

BTW - I don't want to BEND the rules at all.

I want to see them changed so that the Scotland team, and all other national teams, are properly representative of the country whose name they bear.

As long as a troll like Potter can go looking for third-generation "Scots" in England, the SFA don't have to do what they used to hve to do to improve the Scotland team - that is, do what's necessary to improve the standards and quality of Scottish football in Scotland.

As long as "Scotland" can play the Shelveys and others wil no connection whatsoever to Scottish footbalkl or indeed to Scotland, the SFA can still enjoy their wee jaunts to foreign lands without doing anything to actually produce genuine Scottish international players.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
BTW - I don't want to BEND the rules at all.

I want to see them changed so that the Scotland team, and all other national teams, are properly representative of the country whose name they bear.

As long as a troll like Potter can go looking for third-generation "Scots" in England, the SFA don't have to do what they used to hve to do to improve the Scotland team - that is, do what's necessary to improve the standards and quality of Scottish football in Scotland.

As long as "Scotland" can play the Shelveys and others wil no connection whatsoever to Scottish footbalkl or indeed to Scotland, the SFA can still enjoy their wee jaunts to foreign lands without doing anything to actually produce genuine Scottish international players.

So keep your snide sideways personal attacks to yourself.

Thats a bit harsh Doddie, :confused: i feel we have rules in place now that every other country in the world are using, and its not going to stop.

We can stick our heels in and cut our nose off to spite our face, but this is not going to change anytime soon. Football from top to bottom is trying its hardest to make the stronger teams stronger, club football with the champions league, even at home with the rangers.

I'd have it that you can only play for the country you are born in, but as soon as you soften that you open it up for more leeway.

ScottB
03-09-2012, 12:44 PM

But then that's if you consider the location of birth to be what defines a nationality. It's a pretty flexible thing, parents nationality, where you grew up etc are all just as valid for me...

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
But then that's if you consider the location of birth to be what defines a nationality. It's a pretty flexible thing, parents nationality, where you grew up etc are all just as valid for me...

:agree:

--------
03-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Thats a bit harsh Doddie, :confused: i feel we have rules in place now that every other country in the world are using, and its not going to stop.

We can stick our heels in and cut our nose off to spite our face, but this is not going to change anytime soon. Football from top to bottom is trying its hardest to make the stronger teams stronger, club football with the champions league, even at home with the rangers.

I'd have it that you can only play for the country you are born in, but as soon as you soften that you open it up for more leeway.

Sorry - a tad over-sensitive there, mayhap. Withdrawn - and deleted.

The problem I see with the rules as they stand is that incompetent FAs like our one can use them to inflate their international player-pool by signing up mediocrities and cast-offs from other countries rather than making efforts - strenuous efforts, I'd say - to improve the quality and standards of the game in their own country. It's a quick fix for idiots in suits.

I am also appalled that the moron Potter, who - and I have this on good authority - occupies a position on the great chain of being somewhere between the beetles that convert human excrement into enriching fertiliser and the human excrement itself, should be allowed by the idiot-suits at Hampden to spend his time offering Scotland caps to any and every club-footed imbecile he can find with a Scottish granny/grand-dad.

This, while obstinately refusing to make any effort to sort out the situation between himself and Steven Fletcher - who happens not only to be eminently well-qualified by blood and by previous career to play for Scotland - he happens to be one of the two or three best attacking players we have.

Another problem with the present rules is that when I hear the latest Potter 'discovery' pledging undying love for my country in a broad Geordie/Yorkshire/Cockney accent, my bile rises to uncontrollable levels and I find myself utterly incapable of wishing him, Potter, or the team they're part of anything but unremitting misfortune on the field of play.

Rant over.

AND BREATHE ..... :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Shelvey scored today for England U21's must be good enough for Scotland now :wink::greengrin