PDA

View Full Version : Fans at Celtic

Hibeesmad
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Just a quick message to say all fans were great today, especially the sect 43. They kept the atmosphere alive and spurred the team on. GGTTH, keep it up.

Bizzle14
02-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Just a quick message to say all fans were great today, especially the sect 43. They kept the atmosphere alive and spurred the team on. GGTTH, keep it up.

Why especially them?? Thought all Hibs fans today where great

.Sean.
02-09-2012, 01:24 AM
No especially anyone, we were all fantastic.

WATP...;)

fatbloke
02-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Crowd yesterday under 46,000 :confused: - what has happened to the greatest fans in the world?

wearethehibs
02-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Theres a class picture of the "first to wear the green" banner on twitter. I though all Hibees were brilliant y'day. Im still on it. Not often we get anything against a champions league team.

GGTTH

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Ninety minutes singing about the team and how much they mean to us, not reflected by the home support belting out self indulgent dross. Heard that Knob McLean sort on Radio Scotland in the car on the way down, saying that Celtc's package for CL games is an attempt to keep home fans placated in a season when the league will be wrapped up in record time. I get feeling that a lot of folk at Darkheid feel the same.

California-Hibs
02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Theres a class picture of the "first to wear the green" banner on twitter. I though all Hibees were brilliant y'day. Im still on it. Not often we get anything against a champions league team.

GGTTH

Anyone able to post that picture up on here? Would be great to see! :agree:

Bristolhibby
02-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Anyone able to post that picture up on here? Would be great to see! :agree:

How do you post a pic?

Saorsa
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
pic is on this thread (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?244579-Celtc-2-v-2-Hibs-FT/page15)

Chuck Rhoades
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
The whole support were fantastic yesterday. Glad we got the message banner in.

Lungo--Drom
02-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Totally agree!! :thumbsup::top marks

Brilliant support, brilliant singing! Won't forget for a long time noising the Smelltics up with...
"If it wisnae for the Hibs ye'd all be Huns!" :hibees

:flag::flag::flag::flag:
G G T T H ! ! !

Hibeesmad
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I did say "all fans were great" if that helps...

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Were there really chants of we are the people?

Not sure about that song...other than as a hun wind up, even then it gives me the heeby jeebies in a way

JIm
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Were there really chants of we are the people?

Not sure about that song...other than as a hun wind up, even then it gives me the heeby jeebies in a way

It was a piss take, and it worked. Decent support and good numbers. Well done us who travelled :wink:

wearethehibs
02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
It was a piss take, and it worked. Decent support and good numbers. Well done us who travelled :wink:

Exactly, the wee neds that sit next to the away end, dish out constant abuse. Its good seeing them foaming at the mouth with a wee 'we are the people' chant.

UltrasHibernian
02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
WATP wound them up to the max after we scored the second, exellent stuff. Some absolute roasters in the home end next to the away fans.

Glad we got our 'First to wear the green' banner in.

Hibernian fans who made the trip, exellent support. :top marks

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
WATP wound them up to the max after we scored the second, exellent stuff. Some absolute roasters in the home end next to the away fans.

Glad we got our 'First to wear the green' banner in.

Hibernian fans who made the trip, exellent support. :top marks

If I was there I probably would have joined in... I haven't been to Parkhead as much as Ibrox for some reason...

We still don't seem to take big numbers to either of those grounds...

JohnStephens91
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
It was amazing, and singing We Are The People was a total wind up and they all started to bite. Not as good as the two creatures that were wearing all green and white hoops and we were chanting 'she's got chlamydia' at the brother and sister incest duo

DanTheMan
02-09-2012, 02:14 PM
It was amazing, and singing We Are The People was a total wind up and they all started to bite. Not as good as the two creatures that were wearing all green and white hoops and we were chanting 'she's got chlamydia' at the brother and sister incest duo

https://p.twimg.com/A1vDghICMAAYO6L.jpg

Creatures :greengrin

BigKev
02-09-2012, 02:58 PM
https://p.twimg.com/A1vDghICMAAYO6L.jpg

Creatures :greengrin

Haha! She was going mental at the piss take she was taking.

They can't honestly get up in the morning and think they look smart in that gear...

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Haha! She was going mental at the piss take she was taking.

They can't honestly get up in the morning and think they look smart in that gear...

Mirror salesmen dont work in Glasgow, no call for them. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
02-09-2012, 04:15 PM
We
Avoid
Tax
Payments

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Just watching Sevco game

If its good to sing we are the people to wind up Celtic fans maybe we should sing the sash, hello hello and no surrender?

All abhorrent Hun songs

wearethehibs
02-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Just watching Sevco game

If its good to sing we are the people to wind up Celtic fans maybe we should sing the sash, hello hello and no surrender?

All abhorrent Hun songs

Lets do it next time. The reason singing We are the people isn't to bad is because it means F'All.

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 05:44 PM
It means we are superior cos we are the proddies n aw that by the way

That's what's meant by it

I hate Celtic and am easy about winding them up, I just hope we don't go down the line of singing Sevco songs too much to do it

Hermit Crab
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Exactly, the wee neds that sit next to the away end, dish out constant abuse. Its good seeing them foaming at the mouth with a wee 'we are the people' chant.

Wee neds serenaded by wee neds

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 05:52 PM
It means we are superior cos we are the proddies n aw that by the way

That's what's meant by it

I hate Celtic and am easy about winding them up, I just hope we don't go down the line of singing Sevco songs too much to do it

I never knew thats what it meant?

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM

What do you think they're meaning?

We are the multicultural people of Govan - always inclusive, power to the people!?

it's a triumphalist chant to infer superiority.

Cabbage East
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Yep. It's not just a harmless song that means nothing.

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/docs/shirlow97.htm

"From the back cover:
WHO ARE
‘THE PEOPLE’?

We are the people is a popular loyalist slogan in Northern Ireland — a clear and unequivocal statement of loyalty, identity and devotion to and from Ireland’s Protestants. The contributors to this collection, many of whom are members of Northern Ireland’s Protestant community, examine the meaning behind this legend of unity and unwavering devotion."

Can't wait till we start painting UVF murals on Easter Road the day before Celtic games, just to wind them up

It will be hilarious

nonshinyfinish
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
:agree: I've always seen 'we are the people' as having an implicit 'cos we're no Kaffliks'.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
What do you think they're meaning?

We are the multicultural people of Govan - always inclusive, power to the people!?

it's a triumphalist chant to infer superiority.

I honestly had no idea what it meant, cant say i gave it any thought.

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM

I knew it was a protestant thing but I didn't actually realise how closely linked to Northern Ireland it was / is, where it actually started.

I googled it after I'd made my first post.

I hope we don't chant it again.

cocopops1875
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM

I'm with you Blackpool never thought it had any Bigoted meaning (if it does then surely the SFA would have done something:faf:) i simply assumed it was a self involved we are awesome coz we are hideous hun weirdos :greengrin

marinello59
02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Singing WATP at Ibrox after beating Oldco in the cup was ironic, original and funny. When you sing it at Parkhead it's just another Rangers song, of course it wound them up. As somebody else said, why not just sing the Sash if you want to copy the huns?

Pretty Boy
02-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Singing WATP at Ibrox after beating Oldco in the cup was ironic, original and funny. When you sing it at Parkhead it's just another Rangers song, of course it wound them up. As somebody else said, why not just sing the Sash if you want to copy the huns?

This.

It's funny on the odd occasion at Ibrox but I find it a bit cringey against Celtic.

wearethehibs
02-09-2012, 06:39 PM
So yet another thread on .net praising the fans turns into a debate about what songs we should and shouldn't sing. Its the same old broken record on here. Stuff looking at this thread again.

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
So yet another thread on .net praising the fans turns into a debate about what songs we should and shouldn't sing. Its the same old broken record on here. Stuff looking at this thread again.

Yeah stuff that, let's let singing Ulster Loyalist chants go unquestioned. How bo-ring.

There's plenty stuff to chant other than Rangers songs is there not?

Jonnyboy
02-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Question - did you know WATP is a loyalist song?

If you did, you wouldn't have sung it

If you didn't - you do now.

Why take the hump? Life is about learning :aok:

Pretty Boy
02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Hullllllllo hullo we are the........

Baldy Foghorn
02-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah stuff that, let's let singing Ulster Loyalist chants go unquestioned. How bo-ring.

There's plenty stuff to chant other than Rangers songs is there not?

Come on, I doubt anyone who sang WATP yesterday, knew of it's religious undertones....

That said I find it offensive any self respecting Hibby singing any song which is sung by either of the Old Firm.......

cocopops1875
02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Question - did you know WATP is a loyalist song?

If you did, you wouldn't have sung it

If you didn't - you do now.

Why take the hump? Life is about learning :aok:

Its what i love about .net every day is a school day :thumbsup:

nonshinyfinish
02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Come on, I doubt anyone who sang WATP yesterday, knew of it's religious undertones....

Isn't that the point...explaining why people might not want to sing it in the future?

fatbloke
02-09-2012, 06:54 PM

That said I find it offensive any self respecting Hibby singing any song which is sung by either of the Old Firm.......

I always thought it was a celebration of Robin Hood's 3 vertically challenged sons:greengrin

Why else would anyone sing about wee arra people.

AndyM_1875
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM

The use of WATP against Rangers when we're beating them is so obviously a complete pisstake that nobody should take it remotely seriously. If it upset a few roasters in the home end yesterday I can't say it
bothers me. We weren't making some political statement, we were poking fun at a bunch of po-faced tossers who take themselves way too seriously. Like many Hibees I have absolutely no interest in Irish politics or the bigotry that ruins both Glasgow dinosaur clubs.

The "you've got Chlamydia" chant however had me in tears......

Of laughter.

GGTTH.

--------
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
I know it was a protestant thing but I didn't actually realise how closely linked to Northern Ireland, where it actually started.

I googled it after I'd made my first post.

I hope we don't chant it again.

I think it's tied into a 19th-century British Empire idea that the 'British people' were directly descended from the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel and therefore uniquely and specially favoured by God - the God of the Old Testament, that is.

Psalm 95:7 reads, "For He is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under His care ..." and this is only one of many references to the Israelites as "the people" - of the Promise, of the Covenant, of the Book and so on.

There was (still is, actually) a movement called British Israelism - it was popular during the period of the late British Empire and pushed the idea of the British as God's chosen race in the modern era. I think there are links to early Zionism - hence the British support for Jewish immigration to Palestine between the wars - and obviously the idea of Brits as God's anointed ones fitted in nicely with the whole "white man's burden" thing. "Land of Hope and Glory" puts it quite well - "Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set; God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet ..."

All of which makes it easy to see why the Proddies of Scotland and Northern Ireland would latch onto the idea and take it into their heads that THEY are "the people" God specially favours. Patriotism, wacky religiosity, and a good dash of racial supremacist politics? Perfect fit, I'd say.

Rangers, of course, were founded in the early 1870's - the heyday of Empire. And they became the popular public face of Unionist Loyalist Protestant communities in both Scotland and Ireland.

IMHO they're (British Israelists) all more or less off the planet. I'm just surprised they haven't worked UFOs and aliens into the thing as well. Maybe they have. There's as much Biblical and historical backing for the idea as there is for Joseph Smith, the angel Moroni and the gold plates, and the Book of Mormon ...

Apparently the late King George VI was one of them. (The British Royal Family are descended directly from Solomon, don't you know?)

Baldy Foghorn
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Isn't that the point...explaining why people might not want to sing it in the future?

Not sure it really matters, if people want to sing it they will.....

nonshinyfinish
02-09-2012, 07:17 PM

No doubt, but IMO if people knew what they were singing then some of them would choose not to. It's not about telling people what to sing, rather giving them the full story so they can decide for themselves.

joe breezy
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM

I dunno

I don't think many people knew it was a loyalist song beforehand, more do now

Thankfully we tend not to sing 'loyalist' songs

DanTheMan
02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
I dunno

I don't think many people knew it was a loyalist song beforehand, more do now

Thankfully we tend not to sing 'loyalist' songs

Thanks for the history lesson! :thumbsup:

It was a laugh. Honestly, get a grip