PDA

View Full Version : on the deck

degenerated
01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
can't think of a performance of late, especially at darkheid, where hibs have consistently strived to keep the ball on the deck. there was very little in the way of hoofs up the park and moreso in the second half every time a pass was made there seemed to be players looking to get on the ball. most impressive to see.

top marks to the team for todays performance, although i still see us struggling with consisitency due to the depth of the squad.

Seveno
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Good point. There was one phase towards the end of the first half when we must have strung at least 15 consecutive passes together.

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
can't think of a performance of late, especially at darkheid, where hibs have consistently strived to keep the ball on the deck. there was very little in the way of hoofs up the park and moreso in the second half every time a pass was made there seemed to be players looking to get on the ball. most impressive to see.

top marks to the team for todays performance, although i still see us struggling with consisitency due to the depth of the squad.

It was the proverbial game of two halves, thought we were not at the races in first half, second we were great, and passed the ball around well, at times we can be really great to watch....Much encouragement from that second half display.....

Golden Bear
01-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Ok - I no I've had more than a few bottles of Millers by now but I could have sworn that this is a duplicate thread. Or maybe the other thread is the duplicate?

Jeez things are very confusing.

:bevvied!:

Golden Bear
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Hic.

:cheers:

jamieross
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Agree with this, although i mentioned in another thread that we just lack that person with defence splitting killer passes. Its still much improved from last year though!

LeighLoyal
01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Hibs have always been a tidier side than most, e.g Hertz, punt and run since 1874.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
It was the proverbial game of two halves, thought we were not at the races in first half, second we were great, and passed the ball around well, at times we can be really great to watch....Much encouragement from that second half display.....

Yip i agree with that, we could have been buried by half time, but in the end i was hoping we might sneak it. :agree:

Leighonel
01-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Goal kicks were taken short in the second half too, seems a small change but it completely changes the mindset of the team.

S.sct
01-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Wasn't there today but sounds promising.

patlowe
01-09-2012, 07:38 PM
IIRC we tend to play decent football in Glasgow and have had relatively good results there in the last few years. I'm delighted with the result, I just hope it's not a false dawn like Collins' win at Ibrox, Yogi's win at Parkhead and Calderwood's good results at both grounds.

frazeHFC
01-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Thought we played quite well today, passed it about really well in times. Was scary when they ran at us and we stood off, but we dealt well on the whole with it. Cracking result.

ggth
01-09-2012, 08:13 PM

spot on, second half passing was the best I seen from a hibs team in a LONG time, good game with only approx 15 fouls

Irish_Steve
01-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Goal kicks were taken short in the second half too, seems a small change but it completely changes the mindset of the team.

Remember what used to happen when JC tried that with Maka in goals?? Teams soon cottoned on to pressing the defence and invariably we would give the ball away!

Billy
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Good point. There was one phase towards the end of the first half when we must have strung at least 15 consecutive passes together.

25 passes :greengrin I've just been going through the footage and the move started with our keeper and ended with a cross into their box and a foul given against Doyle. We had the ball for well over a minute :pfgwa

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
25 passes :greengrin I've just been going through the footage and the move started with our keeper and ended with a cross into their box and a foul given against Doyle. We had the ball for well over a minute :pfgwa

There's a team in there......What a difference after the break, when we looked dangerous going forward, much better passing and movement.....Pleasing.....Be good if we can get two halfs the same......

SmokieJoe
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Hibs' best teams have always had the 'keep the ball on the deck' mindset, and to be honest most good teams in general have that attitude. I wasn't at the game but listened to it on HibsTV, sounds like our central midfield trio are showing the signs of clicking...

Hibercelona
01-09-2012, 11:03 PM
We're trying to play football the right way by passing it around from side to side, which is always nice to see. I still feel we could have more of a cutting edge in the final 3rd though which I think we'll see an improvement on through out the season. Would like to see players running at defenders more and putting them under extreme pressure. We could also improve on holding the ball up in midfield more, bringing more players into the final 3rd. Too many times we see early crosses coming into the box with no Hibs player in sight, we need to work on that.

We certainly have the potential to be a very dangerous team, but still have quite a way to go yet.

.Sean.
02-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Not many teams would go to Celtic and bully and dominate them like we did in the second half.

woodythehibee
02-09-2012, 07:37 AM
We did play very good football at times and kept the ball brilliantly. I thought Claros was instrumental in the short quick passing game and ball retention as he seemed to set the tempo and keep it moving.

bingo70
02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I thought all the good passing went through deegan, thought his movement and will to create space was a big factor.

Saying that I Cannae tell the difference between him and cairney so I'm maybe giving him too much credit.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
The trick to getting anything against Celtc is to try and keep the ball as long as possible. The minute that you play hoofball, you are just giving the ball away and bringing on your own demise. We don't have the players to play total football, so what we need to learn is to properly mix it up, and play the right ball at the right time. I am no advocate not letting players launch it, especially when the defence is under pressure. Sometimes, row Z is the correct option.

Hibbyradge
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I forecasted a draw.

Teams rarely win if they played in Europe the previous week.

Hearts will probably be one of the exceptions today though.

clerriehibs
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Hibs have always been a tidier side than most, e.g Hertz, punt and run since 1874.

Hmm ... Sure i read somewhere that their flair player (yes, they used that word ... both words, actually) needed protection by refs.

Oh.

He's gone to The Rangers now.

Ach well, back to the old order, punt and run, as you say!