PDA

View Full Version : .Net - Bi-Polar Forum of choice

down-the-slope
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
:greengrin

We are not a totally guff hopeless case......

Neither are we league contenders......

Both of these have been forwarded as reality over the past 3 weeks.

We are however a team that is showing signs of progress - albeit from a very low base - there will be speed bumps along the way I have no doubt (see last Tuesday) But spirit and pride is reappearing on the pitch and in the stands...

Here is to steady progress, an acceptance that there will be setbacks, support of the manager to use the recently freed up wages for needed reinforcements and the blooding some of our very promising youth....

But as we see promising signs lets not lose the resolve to get the support more involved in the day to day life of our club, holding the management to account, and pressing for long term change.

:flag:

Bishop Hibee
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I expect 2 steps forward and 1 back for most of this season. I predicted 8th for us at the start but if we can avoid injuries and suspensions we could be top 6. We've got better whilst others have got worse.

Seveno
01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Progress for me would be :

1. Competing in every match.
2. Winning most matches at ER.
3. Beating Hearts home and away.
4. A top 6 finish.
5. A gradual increase in attendances so that Pat had more money to spend on new players.

Golden Bear
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM

We are however a team that is showing signs of progress - albeit from a very low base - there will be speed bumps along the way I have no doubt (see last Tuesday) But spirit and pride is reappearing on the pitch and in the stands...

Here is to steady progress, an acceptance that there will be setbacks, support of the manager to use the recently freed up wages for needed reinforcements and the blooding some of our very promising youth....

But as we see promising signs lets not lose the resolve to get the support more involved in the day to day life of our club, holding the management to account, and pressing for long term change.

Really?

Otherwise I'm almost in agreement.

lyonhibs
01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
We would never, ever have left Celtc Park with a point after a game like that last season, or the season before that, or indeed the season before that.

Progress indeed, and the 3 in midfield look very comfortable in possession.

FifeHibernian
01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Finally a bit of common sense, been thinking along these lines for the last coupla weeks.. Although it is fun to imagine the glory of lifting the SPL trophy :wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
We would never, ever have left Celtc Park with a point after a game like that last season, or the season before that, or indeed the season before that.

Progress indeed, and the 3 in midfield look very comfortable in possession.

Apart from the 0-0 draw we got there last season. :wink:

Kaiser1962
01-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Which just happen to be the last points that Celtic dropped at home.

GraniteCityHibs
01-09-2012, 07:38 PM

:top marks:flag::pfgwa

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Really?

Chibs
01-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Progress for me would be :

1. Competing in every match.
2. Winning most matches at ER.
3. Beating Hearts home and away.
4. A top 6 finish.
5. A gradual increase in attendances so that Pat had more money to spend on new players.

Totally agree.
Number 3 being the most important

Kaiser1962
01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Really?

Yip, in domestic competitions at least. 14 straight wins since 29th October 2012 when we drew 0-0 with them. Only other club to take points at darkheid were Atletico Madrid on 30th November (0-1) in the Europa League.

Waxy
01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
If we keep getting the results we've been getting.
We might win the league.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2012, 08:14 PM

With Stephens and O'Hanlon at centre back so we can write that one off as a fluke...:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Yip, in domestic competitions at least. 14 straight wins since 29th October 2012 when we drew 0-0 with them. Only other club to take points at darkheid were Atletico Madrid on 30th November (0-1) in the Europa League.

Superb. :thumbsup: It makes todays result sound even better. :top marks

lyonhibs
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM

Looking at the scoreline of that game, it would appear they didn't twice take the lead, which was kind of part of my point. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Looking at the scoreline of that game, it would appear they didn't twice take the lead, which was kind of part of my point. :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
The Bi-Polar National Anthem - Bobby Nicholson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IQvrvh7Mc&feature=player_detailpage)

Beats SOL for a club song.

down-the-slope
02-09-2012, 08:22 AM
As a wee tip to the depressive side....:wink: They hit the woodwork 3 times / missed the target 1 on 1 twice with keeper / had 7 first team regulars not available / and second half while we were significantly better Wanyama going off was a real crucial bit of fortune

Beefster
02-09-2012, 08:26 AM
"Depressive", "Bi-polar", "Doom and Gloomer", "Happy Clapper", "Board Apologist" etc etc etc.

Surely we can find some more insults to write off large sections of the Hibs support without having to engage in reasoned debate.

hibsbollah
02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
This kind of zealotry takes happy clapping to a new level. 'Hibby Krishna' or 'Fenlatio' or something. I'll work on it.

down-the-slope
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
"Depressive", "Bi-polar", "Doom and Gloomer", "Happy Clapper", "Board Apologist" etc etc etc.

Surely we can find some more insults to write off large sections of the Hibs support without having to engage in reasoned debate.

Have you woken up with a hang over ya grumpy barsteward :confused: .....if you had read... this was the attempt at reasoned debate...i.e. we are somewhere between the two extremes that have been represented on here recently... (with a bit of humor :wink:)

Do you not think this place has Bi-Polar tendencies? we lose there are a queue of EE-OR type responses...we get a result....and we are looking at Euro spots....:greengrin

EDIT..you have quoted several things that are nowhere on this thread

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 09:05 AM
I can only speak for myself, and in my opinion our league form has been great. Apart from the first game, we look to have stood up to every team and matched them toe to toe. We also have one or two players who can play a bit now, and thats helped enormously.

Then we lose in the cup to QOS, and that brings you back down to earth. I expect us to compete in the SPL, i expect us to be a good SPL side. I never expect us to lose to a 3rd tier team EVER, and that hurts, it still hurts.

We need to eradicate bad results like that, they are never acceptable EVER and they are the results that for me make me so angry.

Yesterday was good, and we have two winnable games coming up, winning them would go a small way in changing the supports thoughts on how we are doing and maybe things ARE changing?

basehibby
02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
With Stephens and O'Hanlon at centre back so we can write that one off as a fluke...:greengrin

Bloody miracle more like :shocked::faint:

basehibby
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
As a wee tip to the depressive side....:wink: They hit the woodwork 3 times / missed the target 1 on 1 twice with keeper / had 7 first team regulars not available / and second half while we were significantly better Wanyama going off was a real crucial bit of fortune

:agree: worth remembering that and the fact that this Hibs team with only four changes failed to win or even score vs QOS when managing our own expectations. It was a great result yesterday but we definately rode our luck at times - there will be games when the other side gets the slice of luck as well as times when the depth of the squad will be tested. All considered, after last season I'll be happy enough if we finish in the top 6 this term - although I suppose there's nothing wrong with dreaming (only a point from 1st place! :drool:)

basehibby
02-09-2012, 09:29 AM
This kind of zealotry takes happy clapping to a new level. 'Hibby Krishna' or 'Fenlatio' or something. I'll work on it.

I like Fenlon but not THAT much - but then again if he'd managed to bring that cup home last May :hmmm:

Bristolhibby
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
In a moment of madness I stuck £2 on Hibs to win the league. I guess that's my gift to Betfair.

Win £870 if it happens though.

No Rangers, every team out to skelp Celtic, we sneak up the blindside.

J

BEEJ
02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Do you not think this place has Bi-Polar tendencies? we lose there are a queue of EE-OR type responses...we get a result....and we are looking at Euro spots....:greengrin
Strictly speaking you can't use the bi-polar tag unless you have evidence that it's the same posters on here exhibiting these opposing emotional extremes just days apart.

The fact that the hundreds of posters on .net will obviously reflect a spectrum of different personalities and outlooks on life, just means that what you're describing is fairly typical of a forum such as this.

:confused:

Big Ed
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
I think it's too early to try and guess where we will end up this season, particularly because it's hard to gauge how other teams are going to perform. I can't imagine Celtic not being champions and Dundee, even this early on, look as if they will toil to avoid coming last; but the other ten teams look as if there is not a helluva lot between them.
Luck is going to play a big part for us because we have a very small squad now. Caldwell and Handling have been brought into first team reckoning, but whilst there is time for them to develop, I don't think either of them are ready to make an impact yet.
Our new found level of commitment is the main difference this season and it is important that this level should not be allowed to drop.
The next two league games see us face teams we are capable of beating and both at home too, however Tuesday nights result should remind us that we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Strictly speaking you can't use the bi-polar tag unless you have evidence that it's the same posters on here exhibiting these opposing emotional extremes just days apart.

The fact that the hundreds of posters on .net will obviously reflect a spectrum of different personalities and outlooks on life, just means that what you're describing is fairly typical of a forum such as this.

:confused:

I'm confused too, i get accused of having knee jerk reactions by the same folk that accuse me of being a doom and gloomer, how does that work?

I find it strange others cant understand a defeat against a 3rd tier team is unacceptable to some, and they are rightly very pissed off. And those who are pissed off about it, are then not allowed to enjoy a good result because they were upset a few days earlier?

Who's the knee jerkers here? :rolleyes:

One Day Soon
02-09-2012, 10:08 AM
In a moment of madness I stuck £2 on Hibs to win the league. I guess that's my gift to Betfair.

J

Seek help immediately.

BEEJ
02-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm confused too, i get accused of having knee jerk reactions by the same folk that accuse me of being a doom and gloomer, how does that work?

I find it strange others cant understand a defeat against a 3rd tier team is unacceptable to some, and they are rightly very pissed off. And those who are pissed off about it, are then not allowed to enjoy a good result because they were upset a few days earlier?

Who's the knee jerkers here? :rolleyes:
I'm with you on the QoS result. It was not just a 'blip' or a 'hiccup'.

The only consolation was that I was suitably reassured by PF's pissed off reaction to the night's events.

Odd then that some of our support appear to be far more laid back about it.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM

The only consolation was that I was suitably reassured by PF's pissed off reaction to the night's events.

:agree: Its funny how Fenlon is not classed as a bedwetter, he was apparently disgusted as i was? :confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Fans moan about losing to a 2nd div side and celebrate a point away to a Champions League side, what a shocker!

Every other teams forum would be exactly the same.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Fans moan about losing to a 2nd div side and celebrate a point away to a Champions League side, what a shocker!

Every other teams forum would be exactly the same.

Yip, one day they have 'broken your heart', and the next its a 'beautiful day'. 'It only takes a minute', then everything is back rosy in 'the garden'.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Very good!

matty_f
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Surely it's too early to say whether it was a blip or not?

If it is one bad result in a run of good results then how could it be considered as anything other than a blip?

It was a sore one, and I posted to say how bad a result I considered it, but if it turns out to have been a bad night in an otherwise good season, I think it'd be harsh to hold onto it as something to moan about.

Pat and the players let us down against QotS, they've atoned to a degree yesterday. If they keep that going then surely we'd have to say that the QotS game was uncharacteristically bad, and therefore a blip?

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Very good!

I'm running out. :wink:

BEEJ
02-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Surely it's too early to say whether it was a blip or not?

If it is one bad result in a run of good results then how could it be considered as anything other than a blip?

It was a sore one, and I posted to say how bad a result I considered it, but if it turns out to have been a bad night in an otherwise good season, I think it'd be harsh to hold onto it as something to moan about.

Pat and the players let us down against QotS, they've atoned to a degree yesterday. If they keep that going then surely we'd have to say that the QotS game was uncharacteristically bad, and therefore a blip?
It's not a question of how it will seem in the annuls of history compared to the rest of the season's results. It might be were we discussing a disappointing performance and defeat at home to, say Dundee, in the league.

THAT would be a blip were it to be surrounded by evidence of an otherwise onwards and upwards progression in team performances.

A defeat in a cup competition to a side two leagues below Hibs - particularly in a manner where we appear to have struggled even to make a contest out of it - and when progress would have guaranteed additional revenue for the club - is a blunder of monumental proportions. It can't be glossed over by making light of it in how we describe it. And neither should it be.

Were this to be the first such instance in several seasons, then it might be able to be shrugged off. But no.

It's no 'blip'. It's just another stain on the recent record of our club's famous history.

Pleased with yesterday's result and we're at last seeing some evidence of progress in the side (at least where the first eleven are concerned).

Keith_M
02-09-2012, 02:18 PM
OK, I give in totally on my previously stated views. After reading so many posts on here from fans that know so much better then me, I've decided that Hibs's last four league games are just a 'blip' on an otherwise disgusting record.

Fenlon must go!!!!

:wink:

cam75
02-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Yes the only team in spl to take points of them there since oct.

down-the-slope
02-09-2012, 02:57 PM
I am a bit confused at those who are taking that anything on this thread is saying that Tuesday was acceptable - of course it wasn't. The question is whether it is truly reflective of current situation.
What it proved was, as many have maintained, that the strength in depth was thin at best..two players have been moved on since, and we need experienced replacements on par with those other signings we have made.

( as already said we are a team recovering from a low base and showing a bit of improved confidence and dare I say 'Bottle'...but early days, which is why the 'request' for more steady improvement and signings using freed wages and utilising our good youngsters)

We had a 'blip' 0-3 at Ibrox under CC...it was a joyous day and great result...but in no way reflective of the true situation of the Team and Club at the time.

At the moment we could focus exclusively on the fact we have failed to compete for full 90 mins in ANY match this season - were more that a bit fortunate to be ahead against St Johnstone...etc etc

Phil D. Rolls
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM

J

You know what happens when you haven't been taking your meds. Next thing you're going to be inviting the Sultan of Brunei to Behind the Goals, and dressing in a gold suit with a purple shirt.

fatbloke
02-09-2012, 06:59 PM
This thread you be saved for posterity, that's all.