PDA

View Full Version : NHC Champions League draw?

CalgaryHibs
29-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Is the champs league draw tonight or next week ?

Sir David Gray
29-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Later on today.

NOLA
30-08-2012, 12:22 AM
5pm afaik

fatbloke
30-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Who cares?

Sean1875
30-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Who cares?

Its not like its the biggest club football tournament in the world or anything. Oh wait...

OP the draws being shown on SSN today (Thursday) coverage starts from 4.30pm :aok:

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Who cares?

most football fans

SteveHFC
30-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Pot 1

Chelsea (title holder)
Barcelona
Manchester United
Bayern Munich
Real Madrid
Arsenal
Porto
AC Milan

Pot 2

Valencia
Benfica
Shakhtar Donetsk
Zenit St. Petersburg
Schalke 04
Manchester City
Braga
Dynamo Kyiv

Pot 3

Olympiacos
Ajax
Anderlecht
Juventus
Spartak Moscow
Paris Saint-Germain
Lille
Galatasaray

Pot 4

Celtic
Borussia Dortmund
BATE Borisov
Dinamo Zagreb
CFR Cluj
Málaga
Montpellier
Nordsjælland

A group of Barca, City, Juventus and Montpellier please :aok:

CalgaryHibs
30-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Cheers lads

jamieross
30-08-2012, 01:52 AM
A nice little group of Barca, Man City, Psg and Celtic would be nice :aok:

Pete
30-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Lump them all in the same pot and then draw the groups!

All this seeding is just mince. It just ensures the same faces are at the top table time and time again.

Watch news reports on the TV from every continent and when you see a replica shirt it will be a team from pot 1.

Why not just make it pot 1 and draw any other eight teams out the hat? That's what the public want is it not?

DAVE1875
30-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Lump them all in the same pot and then draw the groups!

All this seeding is just mince. It just ensures the same faces are at the top table time and time again.

Watch news reports on the TV from every continent and when you see a replica shirt it will be a team from pot 1.

Why not just make it pot 1 and draw any other eight teams out the hat? That's what the public want is it not?

It would definitely make it more interesting if you ended up with a group made of teams usually in pot 1

Sylar
30-08-2012, 06:34 AM
If Celtic could be handed a draw which guarantees them to be pumped out, I'll be happy enough.

I presume the Europa League draw will follow tomorrow or next week, once the final qualifiers are finished?

Edinburgh Green
30-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Who cares?

me, I'm in Barcelona for the first group match so hoping they get a home draw. :aok:

Greendub
30-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Barca Celtic I hope, so I can go see barca haha

McD
30-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Pot 1

Chelsea (title holder)
Barcelona
Manchester United
Bayern Munich
Real Madrid
Arsenal
Porto
AC Milan

Pot 2

Valencia
Benfica
Shakhtar Donetsk
Zenit St. Petersburg
Schalke 04
Manchester City
Braga
Dynamo Kyiv

Pot 3

Olympiacos
Ajax
Anderlecht
Juventus
Spartak Moscow
Paris Saint-Germain
Lille
Galatasaray

Pot 4

Celtic
Borussia Dortmund
BATE Borisov
Dinamo Zagreb
CFR Cluj
Málaga
Montpellier
Nordsjælland

A group of Barca, City, Juventus and Montpellier please :aok:

I like watching them play, but how the f*** are Manchester city in the second pot? Last year was their first qualification, and they went out at the group stage?

As far as I knew, the seeding was based on your last 5 seasons of European performance?

down-the-slope
30-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I like watching them play, but how the f*** are Manchester city in the second pot? Last year was their first qualification, and they went out at the group stage?

As far as I knew, the seeding was based on your last 5 seasons of European performance?

On the same basis how are the Gunners in pot 1 :rolleyes: Man City are at least Champions (in the badly named CHAMPIONS league)

I assume there is a league (viewers and money) weighting...think about it 12 matches in each group to get rid of only 2 teams ......one of which goes in to Europa League...marketing genius but sporting integrity and competition .....bah.....

lapsedhibee
30-08-2012, 09:37 AM

On the same basis how are the Gunners in pot 1 :rolleyes:

Because they have succeeded in getting through the groups every year for the last five years? :confused:

Sir David Gray
30-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Barcelona
Manchester City
Juventus
Borussia Dortmund

:pray:

Hibernian Verse
30-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Putting my neck on the line here...hope Celtic get a group that they can progress out of and get pumped in the next round. With rangers out of Europe and out the league for what looks like 3 years we need Celtic to perform if we are to have any chance of competing for a CL qual place in two years time.

Of course it's nice watching them lose, but I want the best for Hibs in the long run which is a strong Celtic in Europe.

hibeedonald
30-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Celtic have got there money from qualifying, they will miles in front of anyone else financially, will be happy if they progress as it benefits Hibs/Scottish football.

davcar
30-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Is the draw live on tv?

frazeHFC
30-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Is the draw live on tv?

SSN 4.30pm.

davcar
30-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Cheers frazeHFC

NOLA
30-08-2012, 01:25 PM
what pot are hertz in? they were champions of europe not so long ago IIRC

Sean1875
30-08-2012, 01:30 PM
what pot are hertz in? they were champions of europe not so long ago IIRC

I heard theyre potless.

fatbloke
30-08-2012, 01:56 PM
me, I'm in Barcelona for the first group match so hoping they get a home draw. :aok:

Jammy beggar:greengrin

DAVE1875
30-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Barcelona
Manchester City
Juventus
Borussia Dortmund

:pray:

This but change Barca with Real Madrid & Dortmund with Celtic

EdinMike
30-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Barca and Madrid out of the gate at the start, keep your peepers on D and G !

NAE NOOKIE
30-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Rich mans playground fixed to ensure the clubs with the most money and biggest TV audience dont get knocked out early.

Bad enough that these days clubs from the likes of Scotland have no chance, barring a miracle, of getting past the group stage, without us being forced to move our showpiece game to a Sunday to accommodate these money grabbing barstewards.

Also ... all this guff with clubs failing in the group stage getting another shot at Europe in the Europa Leage just goes to devalue that competition .... something that UEFA have singularly failed to recognise.

UEFA have IMO turned its major competition into an unfair biased bore fest in order to satisfy everybody apart from ( as usual ) the games supporters.

I havnt got a clue what the combined football following is in total if you put every country with competitors in UEFA's competitions together, but lets say for arguments sake that its fifty million, not counting spectators for clubs outwith the top divisions.

In reality, if you look at the past winners of the Champions League only a fraction of those football fans will ever have a chance of seeing their club win the bloody thing. Dont get me wrong .... the big clubs have always been there or thereabouts in European Football, but now its fixed so that that will always be the case. And that isnt fair to the vast majority of the people who's money and support ensures that UEFA have the power they do.

If any clue were needed as to how the folk running European Football see themselves all you have to do is have a look at the venue they have chosen to host the Super Cup match every year. That hotbed of football passion Monaco .. the rich mans playground ... Nuff said.

Sylar
30-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Man City drawn in Real Madrid's group. Be interesting to see which of the 2 richest clubs in the world spends more wisely :greengrin

(As if the answer isn't already apparent...)

Piqué
30-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Real Madrid and Man City thrown in together already! Stick Juve and Dortmund in there now and that will be some good viewing!

JimBHibees
30-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Rich mans playground fixed to ensure the clubs with the most money and biggest TV audience dont get knocked out early.

Bad enough that these days clubs from the likes of Scotland have no chance, barring a miracle, of getting past the group stage, without us being forced to move our showpiece game to a Sunday to accommodate these money grabbing barstewards.

Also ... all this guff with clubs failing in the group stage getting another shot at Europe in the Europa Leage just goes to devalue that competition .... something that UEFA have singularly failed to recognise.

UEFA have IMO turned its major competition into an unfair biased bore fest in order to satisfy everybody apart from ( as usual ) the games supporters.

I havnt got a clue what the combined football following is in total if you put every country with competitors in UEFA's competitions together, but lets say for arguments sake that its fifty million, not counting spectators for clubs outwith the top divisions.

In reality, if you look at the past winners of the Champions League only a fraction of those football fans will ever have a chance of seeing their club win the bloody thing. Dont get me wrong .... the big clubs have always been there or thereabouts in European Football, but now its fixed so that that will always be the case. And that isnt fair to the vast majority of the people who's money and support ensures that UEFA have the power they do.

If any clue were needed as to how the folk running European Football see themselves all you have to do is have a look at the venue they have chosen to host the Super Cup match every year. That hotbed of football passion Monaco .. the rich mans playground ... Nuff said.

Excellent post. In effect only about 5 or 6 clubs now have a chance of winning it the rest are scrambling about trying to get the scraps from the top table. As you say the Europa league or whatever it is now called is also a farce with clubs having been knocked out getting in halfway through the competition, complete joke.

Gettin' Auld
30-08-2012, 04:25 PM
These draws take friggin ages.............

Sylar
30-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Get the Tims in Group D. Please?!? :greengrin

EdinMike
30-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Not a bad wee group for them then... Who's gonna finish up the tasty group D though !

Sylar
30-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Not a bad wee group for them then... Who's gonna finish up the tasty group D though !

Hopefully Borussia!

Gettin' Auld
30-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Celtic in Group G

SteveHFC
30-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Another easy group for United:rolleyes:

Sylar
Group A
FC Porto
FC Dynamo Kiev
Paris Saint-Germain FC
Dinamo Zagreb

Group B
Arsenal
FC Schalke 04
Olympiacos FC
Montpellier SC

Group C
AC Milan
FC Zenit St Petersburg
RSC Anderlecht
FC Malaga

Group D
Real Madrid
Manchester City
AFC Ajax
Borussia Dortmund

Group E
Chelsea
Shaktar Donetsk
Juventus
FC Nordsjaelland

Group F
Bayern Munich
Valencia
LOSC Lille
FC Bate Borisov

Group G
Barcelona
Benfica
FC Spartak Moskva
Celtic

Group H
Manchester United
FC Braga
Galatasaray A.S.
CFR 1907 Cluj

What a group, group D is! :top marks

EdinMike
Hopefully Borussia!

Well there you go !

hibsbollah
30-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Nice to see ****bags PSG in a tough group.
If you dont want Montpelier to do well, youre not human :agree:

Piqué
30-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Another easy group for United:rolleyes:
Arsenal always seem to get good draws at the group stage also.

ronaldo7
30-08-2012, 04:47 PM
D for Death:greengrin

CalgaryHibs
30-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Well Celtic don't have a hope n hell winning a game n this group. If I"m not mistaken McGeady (sp) will face his old club.

HibbyAndy
30-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Arsenal always seem to get good draws at the group stage also.

:cb:cb

Sylar
30-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Well Celtic don't have a hope n hell winning a game n this group. If I"m not mistaken McGeady (sp) will face his old club.

They might manage results at home against Spartak and Benfica, but I'd be willing to bet they get nothing on the road and get horsed in the Camp Nou.

Can't see past them finishing bottom of the group in the end though - pleasing :greengrin

CalgaryHibs
30-08-2012, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=The Story So Far...;3344482]They might manage results at home against Spartak and Benfica, but I'd be willing to bet they get nothing on the road and get horsed in the Camp Nou.

Can't see past them finishing bottom of the group in the end though - pleasing :greengrin[/QU

Oh they finish bottom all rite four losses for sure.

Skanko79
30-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Tough group for City, will make cracking viewing though.

Also the only group in the tournament that merits the name the CHAMPIONS league.

TomoHFC
30-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Man City has got the hardest group this year, Man United has i think the easiest group this year and its good for scottish this year in the group stage all the best to celtic

cabbageandribs1875
30-08-2012, 05:22 PM
a couple of trips out in the sun(or snow in moscow) for sellick lucky gits, the only other group games i'l bother watching is in group D Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund

PeeJay
30-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Tough group for City, will make cracking viewing though.

Also the only group in the tournament that merits the name the CHAMPIONS league.

Good draws for Bayern and Schalke, bit of a sticky one for Borussia Dortmund who had a miserable Champions League campaign last year - Still, I'm hoping they top Group D this year - if they do then the rest of the tournament should be a doddle...:greengrin.

Skanko79
30-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Good draws for Bayern and Schalke, bit of a sticky one for Borussia Dortmund who had a miserable Champions League campaign last year - Still, I'm hoping they top Group D this year - if they do then the rest of the tournament should be a doddle...:greengrin.

True mate, would like to see Dortmund have a good one, as long as its not at City's expense, just hope city have learnt their lesson from last campaign.

GhostofBolivar
30-08-2012, 05:34 PM
They might manage results at home against Spartak and Benfica, but I'd be willing to bet they get nothing on the road and get horsed in the Camp Nou.

Can't see past them finishing bottom of the group in the end though - pleasing :greengrin

Benfica are a very good team - they drew twice with Man U last year - and should beat Celtic comfortably home and away on the basis of having much better players than the soapdodgers.

HH81
30-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Anyone know how the best team in Manchester ends up in a harder group than the worst Manchester team? Infact the worst team get a nailed on top finish.

Skanko79
30-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Anyone know how the best team in Manchester ends up in a harder group than the worst Manchester team? Infact the worst team get a nailed on top finish.

not only the best team in manchester but the champions of england. it beggars belief the way they work it, co-efficiency (sp) apparantley, montpellier champions of france in pot 4 along with dortmund champions of germany and ex winners of the tournament. its mind boggling stuff.

lobster
30-08-2012, 07:39 PM
On the one hand it would be nice to think a 'rising tide lifts all boats type' thing and it's good for scottish football that Celtic have made the group stages. On the other, as pointed out by Bovril earlier in this post the champions league is rigged in favour of the big clubs is increasingly and terribly boring and perpetuates inequality. If it was based on merit it would be brilliant but unfortunately it is not.
Berlusconi and chums can ram the champions league.
:aok:

ballengeich
30-08-2012, 07:51 PM
not only the best team in manchester but the champions of england. it beggars belief the way they work it, co-efficiency (sp) apparantley, montpellier champions of france in pot 4 along with dortmund champions of germany and ex winners of the tournament. its mind boggling stuff.

It's because the co-efficient is based on the five preceding years. Manchester City, Montpelier and Dortmund hadn't done much until the last couple of seasons so they're further down the ranking list than clubs that have been consistently successful over a longer period. There is an argument for weighting performances so that more recent ones count higher, but the football associations seem to accept the existing setup.