PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Strauss retires from cricket

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Bit of a strange one. A fine opening batsman for England over the years.

hibee62
29-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Bit of a strange one. A fine opening batsman for England over the years.

Wanted to go out on his terms I suppose, and standards were slipping. He also denies Pietersen has anything to do with it but that episode can't have been fun to deal with. I thought he might go on for a year or two as a player with 2 Ashes series next year.

Goes down as one of the best though, both in terms of playing and captaincy! A big hole to fill now...

JimBHibees
29-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Very strange given where they are in the game. Sounds like more to this than meets the eye especially with the Ashes not far off. Probably sickened with Pietersen and his massive ego.

Golden Bear
29-08-2012, 02:03 PM
And here's me thinking this was a thread about musical composers.

:doh:

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Aye the thread title is very misleading!

--------
30-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Played in 100 Tests, captained in 50, a fine record over all both as player and captain, and a guy who comes over well in interviews.

Probably wise to go on his own terms before he was pushed - a lot of captains do go on too long.

If he'd had any doubts, though, I'm sure Kevin Pietersen's antics would have made his mind up for him. Who needs that?

I really hope the selectors stand firm and DON'T let Pietersen back in - it would be far better to spend a couple of years building a TEAM rather than pandering to a drama queen like him. Maybe show a preference for Englishmen playing for England?