PDA

View Full Version : Trophies in terms of importance.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 10:30 AM
We have absolutely no chance of winning the league, and you'd probably say the same about the Scottish Cup, but in theory we should have the same chance of winning that as the League cup.

Winning a cup or at least having good cup runs are very important in terms of finance and the club punching its weight in the eyes of our support. Cup runs bring in decent amounts of money through gate receipts and prize money.

So as much as i understand us having to bring in fringe players to give them experience, i'm convinced we should not be doing this when we are struggling as a club at the moment. We have a support thats very fragile, poor crowds less than convinced the corner has been turned.

Last nights result only confirms it to the waverers, and the feel good factor has gone again. When will we ever learn? :rolleyes:

scott7_0(Prague)
29-08-2012, 10:35 AM
We have absolutely no chance of winning the league, and you'd probably say the same about the Scottish Cup, but in theory we should have the same chance of winning that as the League cup.

Winning a cup or at least having good cup runs are very important in terms of finance and the club punching its weight in the eyes of our support. Cup runs bring in decent amounts of money through gate receipts and prize money.

So as much as i understand us having to bring in fringe players to give them experience, i'm convinced we should not be doing this when we are struggling as a club at the moment. We have a support thats very fragile, poor crowds less than convinced the corner has been turned.

Last nights result only confirms it to the waverers, and the feel good factor has gone again. When will we ever learn? :rolleyes:

Blackpool were people that naive to have any feel good factor, the only positive from last night is surely Pat Fenlon now has the evidence to approach the board for more players as it is evident that resting 4 players (especially McPake and Deegan) shows we do not have the quality in terms of a 16 or 18man squad.

archiebald
29-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Agree 100 pc cant wait to hear Fenlons side of it- start of season resting players

clerriehibs
29-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Scottish cup must be easier to win than the LC. The 4 strongest teams from the previous season get a bye effectively in the LC, and the infirm DO care about it, despite claims to the contrary by some, if only to prevent the other half's chance of a treble.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Blackpool were people that naive to have any feel good factor, the only positive from last night is surely Pat Fenlon now has the evidence to approach the board for more players as it is evident that resting 4 players (especially McPake and Deegan) shows we do not have the quality in terms of a 16 or 18man squad.

I dont think its naive to be feeling good about winning games? :confused: I certainly came away from the Hearts game thinking it was as good as we'd played against them in years, we'd finally got into their faces at last and matched them toe to toe.

Then winning away at St Mirren and Home to St Johnstone had me and i'd imagine plenty others feeling much better about the way things were at easter road. I was not silly enough to see we needed more, but if we are not allowed to feel better about a winning side, whats the bloody point of going to watch Hibs? :confused:

scott7_0(Prague)
29-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I dont think its naive to be feeling good about winning games? :confused: I certainly came away from the Hearts game thinking it was as good as we'd played against them in years, we'd finally got into their faces at last and matched them toe to toe.

Then winning away at St Mirren and Home to St Johnstone had me and i'd imagine plenty others feeling much better about the way things were at easter road. I was not silly enough to see we needed more, but if we are not allowed to feel better about a winning side, whats the bloody point of going to watch Hibs? :confused:

I know what your saying, but it's Hibs, they are their to always put us back on our erses. For me seeing the team last night before the game didnt full me with confidence, we have battled in the Hearts, St.j and St.Mirren games, but our battlers were not playing last night.

Work in progress.

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I know what your saying, but it's Hibs, they are their to always put us back on our erses. For me seeing the team last night before the game didnt full me with confidence, we have battled in the Hearts, St.j and St.Mirren games, but our battlers were not playing last night.

Work in progress.

That is exactly the mindset prevailing at Easter Road and amongst the supporters of this club which has contributed to our miserable League, Cups and derby record since the 1970s.

It should never have been acceptable and as of the end of last season it no longer is.

Its not HIBS ................. Its under performance, p1ss poor effort, lack of professionalism, letting the fans down.

AND IT HAS TO STOP !!!

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 11:13 AM

Work in progress.

No, poor decision making from the manager in my opinion. We have just started the season, we are winning games and getting the feel good factor back.

Playing players who are not fit and were not good enough over the last couple of seasons, and part of the worst Hibs team in years is not progress, its not learning the lessons we clearly got last season.

Its also diluting our chances of going further in one of the 2 competitions we have a slim chance of maybe winning. I cannot believe some folk are saying staying in the SPL is the important thing here, of course its important, so is doing well in the cups.

Bad Martini
29-08-2012, 11:19 AM
That is exactly the mindset prevailing at Easter Road and amongst the supporters of this club which has contributed to our miserable League, Cups and derby record since the 1970s.

It should never have been acceptable and as of the end of last season it no longer is.

Its not HIBS ................. Its under performance, p1ss poor effort, lack of professionalism, letting the fans down.

AND IT HAS TO STOP !!!

Correct mate.

Bottom line; who the **** are WE to put out a weakened team against anyone with our recent history??? ****ING NOBODY. In this game, you get, what you deserve MOST (not all, but MOST) of the time. We treated the opposition with the respect they deserved? We treated the fans with the respect they deserved? Or the competition?

Naw.

We thought we were ****ing too good for a shower of lower league opponents and paid the price.

This is why Liverpool won the Carling Cup last year, got to the final of the FA Cup and got back into Europe and also WHY the King lost his job. Cause his make up, doesnt mean he will accept anything but success in anything. That means putting out strong sides in EVERYTHING you do. He done that, won that cup, almost another and got Europe yet still those ****y yanks sacked him as league glory wasnt forthcoming, due to stretching the squad for the purpose of WINNING. I'm with the King on this. I'd rather be fighting on ALL fronts than putting out weak teams in ANYTHING. I dont want to see my teams losing ANYTHING, at any time against anyone.

This same attitude would work here. We arent good enough to need to worry about concentrating on the league. If we get top six, its progress. We have a chance, as John Collins proved, to win a cup. The League Cup especially given the Scottish Cup hoodoo.

We arent GOOD enough to put out weak teams and what the **** rest do these overpampered players need this many games into the season? Its not like we're playing at the heights of Europe, 3 times a week here!!!

Lazy team choice, lazy players, lazy decisions and lazy attitude.

Good luck to QOTS. They can only beat the ***** in front of them and WE made it easy. Or rather our wonderous leader/management and players did.

ENDOF

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Correct mate.

Bottom line; who the **** are WE to put out a weakened team against anyone with our recent history??? ****ING NOBODY. In this game, you get, what you deserve MOST (not all, but MOST) of the time. We treated the opposition with the respect they deserved? We treated the fans with the respect they deserved? Or the competition?

Naw.

We thought we were ****ing too good for a shower of lower league opponents and paid the price.

:top marks

leither17
29-08-2012, 11:38 AM

Deegan played the 90 mins last night

scott7_0(Prague)
29-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Deegan played the 90 mins last night

FFS, Beeb text is crap on my phone... never seen his name one.

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I have never understood the importance rating that some managers put on one cup rather than another.(Well I do understand it really but it annoys me all the same) And this includes the EPL, I couldn't care less about the arguments regarding finance, resources etc.

There are only three competitions that Hibs are entered in every season and every one of them gives the team an opportunity to win silverware and build on success regardless of how you view our chances in the league.

As a paying supporter it frustrates the hell out of me and always has done. I pay a lot of money every season to watch my chosen team(s) and I want to see my team try to win every game, that equates to playing your strongest available line up. FFS it's not as if there are twenty competitions per season that you can pick and choose from!

A simplistic view I know which can be criticised on many levels with many counter arguments, however when I take my place at the game before kick off, that is the only view I am interested in.

frazeHFC
29-08-2012, 12:12 PM
We learned last season that Kujabi, OHanlon etc are awful. It is no surprise that with them in the team we played like we did. Absolute waste of money going down to see us not play a team that can win. The worrying thing though is that those players are on our bench normally in the league, so if we get injuries to any of our first 11 (which themselves aren't a good side) we are pretty much screwed. We need to bring in a couple of faces in the next few days.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Looking at this message board today, it does appear there are some who think its much better to keep our SPL status than compete with a full team in the early rounds of the league cup. Quotes like they are not that bothered, and upsets will happen.

I believe we can do both, i know that sounds ridiculous?

I personally think we should try and win the league cup, and the Scottish cup. And that means putting out our strongest teams whoever we are playing?

I do realise that players need to get experience and fitness, but that has to be balanced with competing and winning.

Our first 11 players have done well recently, and i'm not having it that they need to be rested, especially when we have a rest week coming up after this Saturdays game.

ronaldo7
29-08-2012, 01:43 PM
We go in for all 3, so we should be trying to win in each competition.

NatureBoy
29-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I agree we only have limited chances to pick up a trophy each season and we should do everything to maximise that chance.
Going out in the first round to a division 2 team is not acceptable for a club of our size.
I bet Celtic don't rest players tonight, so we would've had an extra 24 hours to recover than them.
And my early bird cup top up now has more chance to be pointless!!

mutley
29-08-2012, 01:50 PM
We go in for all 3, so we should be trying to win in each competition.Exactly, what is the point of entering if not to try and win. I said from the start that even against "lower" teams we should still field the strongest team possible. I doubt last night was the strongest team we had available. I am not sure if McPake has an injury from the weekend or not, and Doyle seems to be gelling with Sparky quite well. Any players needing a gamew for fitness (Kuqi for example) shouldn't have been on until ayt least half time and even then if we were comfotably in the lead............which we weren't.I know this has all been said before and everyone is thinking it, but I just needed to vent my spleen a bit.

Keith_M
29-08-2012, 02:36 PM
In my opinion, Fenlon made a serious error of judgement in choosing that team. He made a statement that Hibd were capable of winning the LC then sabotaged that himself by dropping players we couldn't afford to do without.

I notice, though, that the usual knee jerk reactions to a defeat are in evidence. Some people go totally overboard when we win and some do so when we lose.

I think Fenlon is still the man for the job, as long as we accept that he's not the finished article and he'll make mistakes along the way. What I've seen overrall is that he's recognised many of the shortcomings in our squad and has started to address that, as evidenced by the last three league games.

Can we not just be diddapointed with the defeat and move on, instead of going overboard? :dunno;

Famous Fiver
29-08-2012, 02:53 PM
If it is true that QOS are full time I think logic would tell me that our players are better paid than theirs.

Sometimes it is difficult to convince part timers to go full time because what they are earning in their day job added to their football earnings is more than some full time clubs can offer.

In view of the fact that they played us off the park last night it should, therefore, not be too difficult to cherry pick the best of them and even offer some swap deals to get rid of our dead wood without breaking the bank, which is going to empty pretty soon with no cup income.

There are at least four who played last night would stroll into the Hibs team so what's to stop us going after them before th window slams shut at the weekend?

We got through by a hairsbreadth at Cowdenbeath ( another Div 2 side) in the cup last year. They had players who were way better than some of the dross we had on show.

There are players under our own noses but we appear to ignore them and bring in players of dubious pedigree from down south, ROI, etc etc. at undoubtedly substantial cost.

Back to our scouting system.

What's it all about?

Or am I just a simpleton who thinks that the answers are obvious but there is some magic formula that Hibs think will work but up to now quite patently has not?

It's difficult to think straight after a result like last night but the answer is right in front of us.

ronaldo7
29-08-2012, 02:55 PM
In my opinion, Fenlon made a serious error of judgement in choosing that team. He made a statement that Hibd were capable of winning the LC then sabotaged that himself by dropping players we couldn't afford to do without.

I notice, though, that the usual knee jerk reactions to a defeat are in evidence. Some people go totally overboard when we win and some do so when we lose.

I think Fenlon is still the man for the job, as long as we accept that he's not the finished article and he'll make mistakes along the way. What I've seen overrall is that he's recognised many of the shortcomings in our squad and has started to address that, as evidenced by the last three league games.

Can we not just be diddapointed with the defeat and move on, instead of going overboard? :dunno;

Pat needs to learn by those mistakes though. He's not got enough leaders in the dressing room imo. 4 changes from Saturday is too much imo, and I thought O'hanlon might have produced his repeat match performance from the end of last season against Aberdeen where he scored and had a decent game, seems he can't.

Big job on your hands pat, but you need to stop trusting some of the guys you've currently got in the dressing room, as they're not good enough.

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2012, 04:58 PM

I dont think its possible to overreact to this result ........ on its own its a bad result. On the back of last season its a bloody insult.

Macaroon
29-08-2012, 05:13 PM
The only difference between the Scottish Cup and the League Cup is the stigma.

SouthamptonHibs
29-08-2012, 05:18 PM
We've put all our eggs in one basket again! Could this been our year 2013 SC winners?

Out the League cup before end of August to a 2nd div team. No excuse for last night shocking. To good wins on the back of a decent performance v hearts then bang...out the cup! Just shows that we need another 3 players on before window closes. We have signed 8 players but we really needed 11

#FromTheCapital
29-08-2012, 05:25 PM
The only difference between the Scottish Cup and the League Cup is the stigma.

And the fact you don't get into europe for winning the league cup.

Although that doesn't mean we should see it as a lesser cup. Every round of any cup should be treated like the final, because that's the only way you'll get to the final..... Unless your hearts of course and lucky *******s.

DH1875
29-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I honestly don't get it when people would rather finish 5th/6th in the league instead of finishing bottom 6 and making cup finals :confused:.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 05:29 PM
I honestly don't get it when people would rather finish 5th/6th in the league instead of finishing bottom 6 and making cup finals :confused:.

I dont understand why we cant do both?

WhileTheChief..
29-08-2012, 05:34 PM

5th or 6th and bottom six???!!

:wink:

erskine-hibby
29-08-2012, 07:05 PM
For me, we should always play our strongest team in all competitions.
Not to do so is disrespectful to the opposition and the fans and by God we have been disrespected enough over the years.

DH1875
29-08-2012, 07:19 PM

You know what I mean though. 6th, 10th it's the same to me. Would always prefer for us to be in cup finals over finishing 6th in the league.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 07:30 PM
You know what I mean though. 6th, 10th it's the same to me. Would always prefer for us to be in cup finals over finishing 6th in the league.

I do know what you mean, but i think its a failure if we are in the bottom 6. Hibs should be in the top 6 every year, and with decent draws good cup runs should also be achievable.

I have heard enough sheite about the new stand and the new training ground to last me a lifetime, its about results for me now, not next week next season or the season after that.

**** being patient anymore.

Craig_in_Prague
29-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I do know what you mean, but i think its a failure if we are in the bottom 6. Hibs should be in the top 6 every year, and with decent draws good cup runs should also be achievable.

I have heard enough sheite about the new stand and the new training ground to last me a lifetime, its about results for me now, not next week next season or the season after that.

Hibs sadly prioritise anything and everything 1st before what matters..on the park.

3pm
29-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Even 'top 6' is a pish target. You'd never hear the filth say that.

Jim44
30-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Our own useless performance aside, the fact that so many SPL sides have been knocked out to 'inferior' opposition makes it easier for Newco to progress and possibly win the Cup.

#FromTheCapital
30-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Our own useless performance aside, the fact that so many SPL sides have been knocked out to 'inferior' opposition makes it easier for Newco to progress and possibly win the Cup.

Yeah unless they get an away tie because as we all know they "don't do winning away"