PDA

View Full Version : Typical Hibs?

matty_f
28-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Tonight summed up everything you need to know about Hibs. We have an uncanny ability to shoot ourselves in the foot at the most inopportune times.

On the back of 3 games unbeaten, including two wins and some improving performances, we headed south as firm favourites to proceed in the cup. We had the chance to extend the feel good factor and build on what has been an encouraging start to the season.

Instead, as per usual, we've been embarrassed (and it is embarrassing, no matter how you might want to dress it up) and emptied from the cup.

We had a winning team and changed it. Disrespectful? Maybe. Wise? Definitely not.

The momentum is lost and the mood (at least for tonight) has changed for the worse.

IMHO, we should have sent our strongest team and gone all out to win the match.

If Fenlon is serious about instilling a winning attitude at the club then he should have shown how important the cup is and how seriously he was taking it. Changing the team in the manner he did changes the tie in the mindset of the players, of that I have no doubt.

Hibs are (and have been for as long as I can remember) a side that build you up to slap you down at the earliest opportunity.

Changing that is Fenlon's job. He made significant mistakes tonight - tactically we weren't up to it, motivationally we weren't up to it, and the team selection wasn't up to it. Out-fought and out-thought. Again.

Hopefully lessons will be learned, as no matter what spin we put on this, a result like this should never be acceptable.

We were humiliated in the last cup tie before this one, and you'd have thought that the club would have been doing everything possible to put that right at the very first opportunity. Somehow, we've done the opposite.

I like to think that I usually see things in perspective, but for the reasons above I'm absolutely livid about this result. It's a total slap in the face to the support at a time where we should really have been on a high heading for Glasgow at the weekend.

2 steps forward, 1 step back. Same old Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Tonight summed up everything you need to know about Hibs. We have an uncanny ability to shoot ourselves in the foot at the most inopportune times.

On the back of 3 games unbeaten, including two wins and some improving performances, we headed south as firm favourites to proceed in the cup. We had the chance to extend the feel good factor and build on what has been an encouraging start to the season.

Instead, as per usual, we've been embarrassed (and it is embarrassing, no matter how you might want to dress it up) and emptied from the cup.

We had a winning team and changed it. Disrespectful? Maybe. Wise? Definitely not.

The momentum is lost and the mood (at least for tonight) has changed for the worse.

If Fenlon is serious about instilling a winning attitude at the club then he should have shown how important the cup is and how seriously he was taking it. Changing the team in the manner he did changes the tie in the mindset of the players, of that I have no doubt.

Hibs are (and have been for as long as I can remember) a side that build you up to slap you down at the earliest opportunity.

Changing that is Fenlon's job. He made significant mistakes tonight - tactically we weren't up to it, motivationally we weren't up to it, and the team selection wasn't up to it. Out-fought and out-thought. Again.

Hopefully lessons will be learned, as no matter what spin we put on this, a result like this should never be acceptable.

We were humiliated in the last cup tie before this one, and you'd have thought that the club would have been doing everything possible to put that right at the very first opportunity. Somehow, we've done the opposite.

I like to think that I usually see things in perspective, but for the reasons above I'm absolutely livid about this result. It's a total slap in the face to the support at a time where we should really have been on a high heading for Glasgow at the weekend.

:agree: Yip build us up, then boot us in the baws. Its the Hibs way. :rolleyes:

ArmadaleHibs
28-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Agreed fully. Nail on head. Only thing I would change Matty is

1 step forward and 2 back after tonight

jacomo
28-08-2012, 11:15 PM
:agree: Yip build us up, then boot us in the baws. Its the Hibs way. :rolleyes:

:agree:

Wheat Hound
28-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Well posted. You always present as a fair-minded and reasonable poster so for you to be so exasporated tonight speaks volumes. I, like the majority (I think) want PF to succeed and are trying to be positive about him. However, every time there is a glimpse of something positive or a wee run, we regress majorly. PF will have a hard enough time shaking the legacy of last May without accruing more 'scalps' such as tonight.

When is the AGM due, out of interest?

Viva_Palmeiras
28-08-2012, 11:18 PM
I know we're trying to look forward not back but can someone - Tam McCourt even ;) - not drum into the management and players the stuff ups of past and recent history?

Should have been good enough to get past QoS. Wasn't at the game but sounded deperate on HibsTv even the voices of the commentary team were a bit down and rightly so.

Don't know what to make of Fenlon we need managers and players that can change a game what happened out there?

Captain Trips
28-08-2012, 11:19 PM
It is not typical Hibs, it was totally avoidable but PF decided to play the likes of Kujabi whom has been p1ss poor, all we did was ask for trouble and got it, thinking that some of these guys were good enough imo shows why I have concerns over PF not only keeping this dross but playing it. 100% PFs fault.

Typcal Hibs would be our best 11 losing, this was not typical this was just bad management.

Baldy Foghorn
29-08-2012, 12:10 AM
It is not typical Hibs, it was totally avoidable but PF decided to play the likes of Kujabi whom has been p1ss poor, all we did was ask for trouble and got it, thinking that some of these guys were good enough imo shows why I have concerns over PF not only keeping this dross but playing it. 100% PFs fault.

Typcal Hibs would be our best 11 losing, this was not typical this was just bad management.

The 11 selected should have been too strong for QOS, unfortunately every outfield player was pathetic tonight....I bet PF is livid at being let down like that.....

matty_f
29-08-2012, 12:14 AM
The 11 selected should have been too strong for QOS, unfortunately every outfield player was pathetic tonight....I bet PF is livid at being let down like that.....

Shouldn't have given them the chance. Strongest side should have started with kujabi or booth or whoever coming on once the tie was safe.

Baldy Foghorn
29-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Shouldn't have given them the chance. Strongest side should have started with kujabi or booth or whoever coming on once the tie was safe.

Even us fielding a weakened side should have had too much in the locker for winning the tie....I blame the players 100% for that debacle

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-08-2012, 12:26 AM
The OP is one of the best posts i've read on here for a while. Sums it up for me in a nutshell (whatever that means) to me. Tho i'd change the last bit to 1 step forward and 2 back as well!

lord bunberry
29-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Even us fielding a weakened side should have had too much in the locker for winning the tie....I blame the players 100% for that debacle

But fielding a weakend side is always a gamble and it was a gamble that didn't pay off and the blame for that can only lie with the manager.

flash
29-08-2012, 06:29 AM

Couldn't agree more. It's ludicrous to suggest the team we fielded wasn't strong enough for the job in hand.

I am absolutely gutted but if that performance nudges some of these jokers out of the door then maybe it's a price worth paying in the long run.

lord bunberry
29-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Couldn't agree more. It's ludicrous to suggest the team we fielded wasn't strong enough for the job in hand.

I am absolutely gutted but if that performance nudges some of these jokers out of the door then maybe it's a price worth paying in the long run.

I think most people would agree that last nights team should have been good enough to beat a 2nd division team but we didn't and the manager has to take the rap for it

flash
29-08-2012, 07:07 AM
I think most people would agree that last nights team should have been good enough to beat a 2nd division team but we didn't and the manager has to take the rap for it

Not from me he doesn't.

SaulGoodman
29-08-2012, 08:18 AM
We were playing a team that haven't conceded a single goal in their opening games and were on a high coming into the game. They had a real feeling that they could get a result.

The players we brought into the team for the game had, as far as I'm aware, no game time this season. The players we brought in also have some strange idea that they're better than they really are ( Gambian Roberto Carlos anyone??) and probably thought they'd walk it.

What a wake up call the team had last night.

Bobby's Cinema
29-08-2012, 08:35 AM
I've been transported back to the Sunday night after Tannadice. All momentum evaporated and replaced with doubt on the back of last season and previous. It's not disappointment from me, its anger. Because that result just shouldn't have happened.

Hermit Crab
29-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Mf Fenlon the lesson here is never change a winning no matter who the opposition is!!

Famous5forever
29-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Don Teflon would have had no sleep after this result as the financial implications of this result are also not good, we need to regroup now put this result behind us and focus on a top 6 finish in the League.

JimBHibees
29-08-2012, 09:14 AM

Agree with that it may be the only good thing however who in their right mind would be wanting them is another thing. I actually think there was an element of maybe putting some of the dross in the shop window trying to get interest before Friday however if that was the plan it has backfired spectacularly and for that the manager must take a fair slice of the blame.

lord bunberry
29-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Not from me he doesn't.

The fact is he started the game with four of our strongest team either sitting in the stand or on the bench he played a left back that has been proven to be a complete liability the result of which we lost if the manager is not responsible for that then who is

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Not from me he doesn't.

The blame for that in my opinion is laying right at his door this morning. He is the one who picks the players and sets the tactics out. He is the one who is responsible for motivating them, and making sure he has the right blend to win a game against a 2nd division team.

He failed in that, and we are now out of a competition that has been our only successful competition over the last 50 years.

The feel good factor has flown right out the window, and any chance we had of a crowd over 10 thousand for our next home game has now gone. Another cup defeat from a lower league team, and now no chance of making decent money with a cup run has gone.

Who was it who was telling us this club needs to man up, and stop being a soft touch?

Progress is what we all want, and he along with the players he picked and even bought have kicked us right in the baws again.

Some folk have had enough of that and left, abusing your support as this club repeatedly seem to do will only see more of them leave.

J-C
29-08-2012, 09:24 AM
The blame for that in my opinion is laying right at his door this morning. He is the one who picks the players and sets the tactics out. He is the one who is responsible for motivating them, and making sure he has the right blend to win a game against a 2nd division team.

He failed in that, and we are now out of a competition that has been our only successful competition over the last 50 years.

The feel good factor has flown right out the window, and any chance we had of a crowd over 10 thousand for our next home game has now gone. Another cup defeat from a lower league team, and now no chance of making decent money with a cup run has gone.

Who was it who was telling us this club needs to man up, and stop being a soft touch?

Progress is what we all want, and he along with the players he picked and even bought have kicked us right in the baws again.

Some folk have had enough of that and left, abusing your support as this club repeatedly seem to do will only see more of them leave.

:top marks

Danderhall Hibs
29-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Good post mate.

I don't know why SPL Managers have fallen in with the resting of players thing - we only play a few midweek games a season and then it's in the main one game a week. Are we really saying a bunch of 20-somethings can't play 2 games a week, 3 or 4 times in a 10 month period?

It's not Championship Manager FFS.

Hibercelona
29-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Fenlon done the right thing as far as I'm concerned. He played a weaker team against 2nd division opposition, a team that should have still breezed through the game. He was clearly trying to save players for the weekend so they didn't pick up any knocks against what is probably a very physical side.

Managers have to think tactically and that includes planning ahead for the next game as well.

The players are completely at fault for this one and should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

matty_f
01-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Well, it wouldn't be Hibs if we didn't follow up Tuesday's disappointment with a result and performance at parkhead today.

Typical Hibs. :thumbsup: