PDA

View Full Version : Hibees here hibees there

Northern Hibby
27-08-2012, 11:29 PM
What's the chances of getting in a cab in London and the driver being a Hibee, 15 min of great craic :-)

Watford_Mark
06-09-2012, 08:06 AM
ok, I'll see your London cabbie and raise you 2 Hibby's playing football at Evergreen Football Club in Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire.

Last night I went out for one of my all too rare runs round the village and spotted these 2 gentlemen playing in a training session in the park, couldnt believe it and if I'd had enough breath I'd have shouted over :)

Anyway well done guys, you put that extra spring in my step that was needed!

:flag:

Mark

Northern Hibby
06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
It does give you a warm feeling of belonging!

WellingtonHibby
06-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Raise you both. My new admin assistant, an Aussie, used to live in Edinburgh and cabbage and she watched the cabbage regularly
1-0

HibeeMG
06-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Walking down Wall Street in New York I was stopped by a Hibby (I was wearing a Hibs jacket at the time).

He was also a Hibby and had just brokered the deal to sell land behind the East Stand. The news hadn't broken by the time I had got back. It was my first and only exclusive!

hibs0666
06-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I was bevvying in an Irish neighbourhood in Boston (US) once. The bloke behind the bar was from Bellshill and had been on Hibs books as a laddie.

sidjames
06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Walking down Wall Street in New York I was stopped by a Hibby (I was wearing a Hibs jacket at the time).

He was also a Hibby and had just brokered the deal to sell land behind the East Stand. The news hadn't broken by the time I had got back. It was my first and only exclusive!
I was once walking through a shopping centre in Hull when a chinese couple with 3 kids in Hibs tops went by. I met a Spanish American family in the US. They talked and when they discovered I was from Edinburgh said there good friend from San Diego was from Leith and indeed a Hibs fan, they said they had never heard of Hibs but it was a rare day he never mentioned them to bemused Californians.

Billy Whizz
06-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I was in Gretna Services Northbound yesterday. Who walks by me but Steven Fletcher and a young lady.
10 mins later on the M74 a white Range Rover with the reg "Fletch" rockets by me!!!

edinburghhibee
06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
When I stayed in Gothenburg I went to watch a Gais v ifk derby and afterwards sat in a bar in the town centre with two mates. In strolled a large group of guys who said something in Swedish to us all. Anyway he was a Gais casual looking for the ifk casuals and thought we might be it. I told him I was a hibby and he said he was at the Kilmarnock cup final we won 5-1 the group stayed and we all had drinks together and chatted about the famous Edinburgh hibees.

Oh and I never got my head kicked in... Result!!

hibee_girl
06-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I was in Disneyland Paris about 11 years ago with my Grandparents, we went to one of the restaurants for dinner and my Grandad had a Hibs polo shirt on. The waiter noticed and was all 'oh the Hibs, the Hibs!'

We thought he knew about us because of Sauzee but he spent the next 20 minutes talking to us about Marc Libbra!

PatHead
06-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I was in Disneyland Paris about 11 years ago with my Grandparents, we went to one of the restaurants for dinner and my Grandad had a Hibs polo shirt on. The waiter noticed and was all 'oh the Hibs, the Hibs!'

We thought he knew about us because of Sauzee but he spent the next 20 minutes talking to us about Marc Libbra!

Never knew Marc Libbra was a waiter now!!

Pedantic_Hibee
06-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I went to my local pub in Tranent and bumped into Brooster and Scoopyboy.

I've got no interesting anecdote though as I was absolutely out my dish and only have vague recollections of it.

yeezus.
06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I was in Morrissons in Stranraer the last week and saw 2 yams holding hands.

Yet to meet a fellow Stranraer Hibs fan.

hibs0666
06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
I was in Morrissons in Stranraer the last week and saw 2 yams holding hands.

Yet to meet a fellow Stranraer Hibs fan.

Sure it wasn't Siamese twins?

JohnStephens91
06-09-2012, 09:07 PM
When I was up north doing the Ben Bhraggie run during the Golspie gala week a few years ago I was waiting to start the race and the guy next to me seen my Hibs top and went 'oh I thought I was the only Hibee in this neck of the woods' and I told him I was from Edinburgh and we spoke about Hibs for about a minute before the race started.

On the way back down the announcer said 'Oh and coming in 13th is John and he is wearing a Hibs top' which received a boo from the crowd. That wasn't even the worst thing, I was supposed to get a kiss on the cheek from the Golspie Gala Queen but I spewed up and she only gave me my medal :(

I never even seen that Hibs fan again either which was a shame

Glory Lurker
06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Not quite the same, but I was in a cafe at Universal Studios in Florida the day after the Artur Boruc 3-2 game at ER, wearing my Hibs top. Japanese guy behind the counter clocked the top immediately and said "Hibs - you won yesterday". I briefly thought I was on Candid Camera, but it turned out he was a big football fan - Nakamura being reason he knew about the result. We had a blether about the Hibs and his favourite team (Spurs), then I bought a burger or something.

Vault Boy
06-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I remember seeing a Hibs fan during a pre-season tournament I was playing in Suffolk (May be wrong). Within about 10 minutes him and my dad had made plans for this guy to come over and watch the weekends match, as he didn't have Setanta. I suppose it is a good ice-breaker anyway. :greengrin

steakbake
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Brother and sister ;-)

SouthMoroccoStu
06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
While I was Working for Gap in Vancouver, Canada.

I was doing the door greeting, daft north american idea.

A family walk in with their son wearing the new Hibs top. Spend twenty minutes chatting to them about home and football, ignoring every other customer.

Then I walked the kid around the store introducing him and the world of the HIBEES. They didn't care but I was still drunk from the night before.

If that was you and your family - I owe you an apology :greengrin

fat freddy
06-09-2012, 10:41 PM
i went into a pub in san francisco wearing a hibs t shirt and the barman said,''hey aren't they a football team that are always second to rangers and celtic?''...when i informed him that i'd be happy if we were that good he continued imparting his knowledge of scottish football gleaned from a short stay in britain during the eighties..some of the things he told me and the now interested punters lining the bar were, ''you guys love to fight each other during the games and you go to spain for fights during the summer''...i told him we dont all fight but there is a problem at some matches but he wasn't having it, ''no you guys fight all the time, you have a competion in europe to see who are the best fighters''....fed up with his lunacy i went outside with my pint only to be confronted by two jambo's who happened to be walking by who took offence at my t shirt which had various 7-0 headlines printed on it...thankfully we never lived up to the barmans preconceptions of hooligans but one of the jambos just stood giving me dirty looks while his pal informed me that hearts had won the derby the previous weekend.

bandylegs_jLeighton
06-09-2012, 11:03 PM
A few years back I wondered out of a nightclub in Berlin to grab a scran during the early hours, and after walking for quite a while I stumbled across a curry wurst van in what felt like literally the middle of nowhere. It was completely deserted apart from this wee van.

When the van man heard my accent the conversation went like this...

You Scottish?
Yes
You like football?
Yes
Are you a Hibernian fan?
Aha yes - how did you guess!

****** the Hearts he said before cracking us open a couple of beers. I probably spent about 30mins bleathering to this guy, who was German, but seemed to have a very healthy interest in Scottish football and Hibs.

If you read this forum you are a legend!

yeezus.
07-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Aye, maybe :faf:

spike220
07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
I met a Hibee, wearing the Hibs top in Papakura in Auckland. His mate who was with him was a celtic fan and was well upset that nobody ever bothered to speak him when he wore the celtic replica top, but they both said that it was the Hibee that was always bumping into other hibs fans who would stop him for a wee chat.

GGTTH

neilmartinrocks
07-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Was in Rotterdam train staion early 80's and met 2 south african guys wearing Hibs tops (we thought) after about 5 minutes we noticed 1 Durban top 1 Den Hag top and 2 Hibs tops. Always thought we were the only team to wear that set.

Falkirk Hibby
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
#1: Sitting in a pub in Nelson New Zealand watching rugby (obviously), a Kiwi clocked the Hibs top and joined me. Not only had he worked in Edinburgh, he was a season ticket holder at ER and had stayed in the next street from me...

#2: At Sydney Zoo, the guy collecting tickets started giving me abuse as he was of the "filthy persuasion". I asked him if he knew the score from the derby. He asked how much they won by, so had great delight in telling him it was 6-2! :flag:

#3: Today, white van man in Hibs top in St Neots. Thought I was the only one around here. Good man.

Fergos
07-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Wardour St London

Walkin doon road after work, lad in Hibs top walkin my way - absolutely steamin!

Stopped for a natter, he was here on a stag and on his way via Soho for some one on one time......lad fi Porty, me Northfield!

Renfrew_Hibby
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Just saw Paul Hanlon at Xscape Braehead in his Scotland trackies, was enjoying my carne in Bella Bella with the missus so thought it would be rude to just get up and go out for a chat! :greengrin

yeezus.
08-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Saw those Yams again yesterday, trying not to laugh at the thought of them being brother and sister. I made sure they saw my Hibs badge.:wink: