PDA

View Full Version : Sportscene tonight

Northernhibee
26-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Just watching tonight, beginning to appreciate how good a job PF is doing at the club. We've still got a long way to go, but looking at how many teams are having to play teenagers, unfit players and players out of position because of setbacks, we've actually got a half decent starting XI. Good experience and a good spine (although a total lack of depth).

If we're lucky with injuries and suspensions and PF gets in the two new faces he wants then I think this could be a very good season indeed.

Hibrandenburg
26-08-2012, 10:03 PM
That and Hearts should have got leathered in Aberdeen.

If the highlights are anything to go by, then Hibs still have a long way to go. Still if we can keep gathering points after mediocre displays like that, then I'll be happy. Just imagine what we'll be like when we're good.

Northernhibee
26-08-2012, 10:06 PM
That and Hearts should have got leathered in Aberdeen.

If the highlights are anything to go by, then Hibs still have a long way to go. Still if we can keep gathering points after mediocre displays like that, then I'll be happy. Just imagine what we'll be like when we're good.

Shame the highlights left out Cairney's chances and Sparky's near miss from the corner flag. Very one sided reporting.

PatHead
26-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Shame the highlights left out Cairney's chances and Sparky's near miss from the corner flag. Very one sided reporting.

Thought that myself

thebakerboy
26-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Remember it is on the unbiased BBC:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2012, 06:39 AM
They said St Johnstone could’ve been 3 or 4 up had they taken their chances. Then they showed a montage of the chances – long distance efforts that didn’t trouble the keeper or were blocked by the wall/a defender. Hardly clear-cut glaring misses.

We’re well written off by all the “experts” though – they keep mentioning Aberdeen as contenders though, although I’m not sure why. Can only assume it’s based on them being a team of recognisable names that they don’t have to research rather than performances.

frazeHFC
27-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Aberdeen are more or less the same old pish. Hearts will be good but are heavily weakened. Motherwell aren't the same team they were last season. Dundee Utd have some class acts but as seen at Killie aren't the best. Ross County will do well but will not keep it up.

A top 4 place is realistic imo, but it is soley down to us to continue winning and keep improving.

hibee_girl
27-08-2012, 06:49 AM
For the last 3 weeks they've had studio guests from the teams we've played and barely mentioned us.

vanNISHtelroy
27-08-2012, 08:14 AM
We’re well written off by all the “experts” though – they keep mentioning Aberdeen as contenders though, although I’m not sure why. Can only assume it’s based on them being a team of recognisable names that they don’t have to research rather than performances.

It's best to be written off, haven't seen who he's predicted this year but chic young has been predicting Killie would get relegated for more than five years.

Sylar
27-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Attendance continues to look like an issue in a lot of cases from the highlights. Ourselves and Aberdeen appear to be the exception to this:

Inverness vs Celtic: 6100 (early KO and on SKY, granted)
Hibernian vs St Johnstone: 9639
Dundee vs Ross County: 4905
Kilmarnock vs Dundee Utd: 4516
Aberdeen vs Hearts: 11971
Motherwell vs St Mirren: 4559

HibbyAndy
27-08-2012, 09:44 AM
For the last 3 weeks they've had studio guests from the teams we've played and barely mentioned us.

Good.

We'l just go along quietly and let them slaver pish about all the other teams.

matty_f
27-08-2012, 09:44 AM
That's a good turnout for the sheep. Sevco's demise has probably done them a big favour.

I think if we keep improving it won't be that long until we pull in crowds like that as well.

brianmc
27-08-2012, 09:45 AM
From twitter - For the 4th week in a row, the average crowds for non-old firm SPL games is above last season's average of 6,261. -- The Away End (@TheAwayEnd)

Pretty Boy
27-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Attendance continues to look like an issue in a lot of cases from the highlights. Ourselves and Aberdeen appear to be the exception to this:

Inverness vs Celtic: 6100 (early KO and on SKY, granted)
Hibernian vs St Johnstone: 9639
Dundee vs Ross County: 4905
Kilmarnock vs Dundee Utd: 4516
Aberdeen vs Hearts: 11971
Motherwell vs St Mirren: 4559

Still slightly up on last years average though.

Edit: beaten to it.

--------
27-08-2012, 10:04 AM

I watched the game on ALBA and IMO we were nothing like as bad as some have been making out. I didn't watch Sportscene as I'm seriously allergic to morons with microphones.

I agree that the game wasn't pretty, and St Johnstone had the bulk of the pressure in the first half, but IIRC Ben Williams was hardly seriously troubled by them. McPake and Hanlon WERE under pressure at times, but they dealt with it. We began to wake up about 6-7 minutes from the break, and again IMO Hanlon's goal wasn't that unexpected - we had been pressing them for the previous 5 minutes at least.

Second half we got the second goal, then played sensibly and well to close out the game with a clean sheet. Again IIRC our worst scare came right at the end in added time.

Cairney looks to be an acquisition; Sparky was a bit hot-and-cold, but when he was good he was very very good. Some of the players are still hiding from the ball - putting pressure on the man in possession - but I'm sure that will change as Pat gets through to them more and more.

A 2-0 win against a tea that finished well above us last season, and while Pat Fenlon's still looking for players to complete his squad, and with the players he has still settling in and learniung to play with one another? Thank you very much - I'll take it and be grateful.

The great thing about ALBA is that the Gaelic commentary always makes so much more sense than Billy Dodds and Alan Preston do.

Even if you don't understand Gaelic. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
27-08-2012, 11:01 AM
We were really poor in the first half, I would have been disappointed had Celtic dominated us so much in the first 40 minutes - the most frustrating thing being that the game was continually played in our half as St. Johnstone pressed us so high up the park, yet when they had the ball, they were permitted as much time and space as they liked to knock the ball around. Another worry was the fact that basic balls in behind caused us quite a few problems, but it was a great three points and a performance to build on (after we went ahead).

Last year we had 6 points from our first 8 games, we now have 7 from 4 games - important to get a home win early, especially with two tough away games coming up. After those we have a really favourable run of fixtures, with some nice looking home games.

nonshinyfinish
27-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Cairney looks to be an acquisition

I agree, he is definitely a player that we have acquired.

Alfred E Newman
27-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Got the program recorded but not watched it yet. I suppose we are on last as usual? :rolleyes:

Northernhibee
23-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Kilmarnock vs St Mirren second game in.

What west coast bias?

Johnny0762
23-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I agree, he is definitely a player that we have acquired.
:greengrin

Northernhibee
23-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Rather than repeating every single thing they show from a different angle and god awful analysis/banter afterwards, can we have the build-up, FT whistle, more key moments of the game and only goals repeated? Sportscene is so, so dated it's unreal.

frazeHFC
23-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Watching the highlights shows just how close Cairney's shot was, also what a save to deny McPake. If that had gone in to make it 3-1, we would be top of the league tonight, quality save.

keep the faith
23-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Not even an interview with the managers afterwards. cheap cheap show.
You would think the bbc would value our national game a bit more than the broom cupboard show we are getting.

JonnyHibees
24-09-2012, 05:10 PM
tried to watch sportscene on the iplayer but cant get it. im sure i watched a few weeks ago n it was fine. does anyone know if they have to wait so long before they put it up?

Billy Whizz
24-09-2012, 05:15 PM
tried to watch sportscene on the iplayer but cant get it. im sure i watched a few weeks ago n it was fine. does anyone know if they have to wait so long before they put it up?

Watch it on the below
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/splofficial?client=mv-google

JonnyHibees
24-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Watch it on the below
http://m.youtube.com/#/user/splofficial?client=mv-google
Cheers :wink: