PDA

View Full Version : 33 years ago today...

hibs0666
26-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Got this from keekback - does anyone else remember this game?

Terracing mayhem is Edinburgh's disgrace (http://londonhearts.com/scores/images/1978/1978082601.jpg)

I recall games at Tynecastle being pretty much a running battle around this time. It was probably the same at Easter Road but all I really remember is the mutants fighting amongst themselves. It was no surprise that football supporters started getting fenced in around this time given the regularity of the mayhem.

I was only 12 or 13 at that time - does anyone else have better memories of derby games around then?

Vini1875
26-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I was at that game and it was mayhem in the corner with sways back forth and constant throwing of missiles etc. A lot of ibbys had gone when we scored and there was a charge at the end from hearts fans who had been waiting to celebrate but Ally Mcloed thwarted that. It seemed like the norm then until we were put into the gorgie road end with a fence between us. I think if memory serves the fence at ER had gone up long before to stop the fighting. If I had any sense then I would probably have been scared but it just seemed that was how it was, the jambos were a bitter mob then.

Franck Stanton
26-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Can remember these times very well, the segregation area/meeting of both sets of fans was at the half-way line opposite the players tunnel and laterly at the corner of the school end. Used to have to dodge the golf balls and darts thrown by those mutants.

Hiber-nation
26-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I was in the Enclosure, full of yams but much safer than the main terracing.

Fairly had to leg it along Gorgie and Dalry afterwards to get to the safety of the boozer...

Iggy Pope
26-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Remember it well, including the nut job that escaped from their enclosure to confront the referee. Carnage in the town afterwards and not an easy navigate back to Leith.

Sprouleflyer
26-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Was at this game, missed the Hibs goal as we had left, heard a cheer from outside of the ground and thought that was the final whistle.

Wasn't until we were half way up Gorgie Road that we found out Hibs had scored.

I was very young at the time and can't really remember the violence from the game, but in that report it appears nothing really changes with the mutants invading the pitch.....bunch of kitten murderes!!!

WindyMiller
26-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Par for the course back then.

Although I was getting a bit more sense by that time, I'd been well up for in the previous seasons.

Koom
26-08-2012, 06:31 PM
...think i was at this game, did Ally Mcleod score in the last minute??...it was mayhem all around, a massive brawl just in front off me in the main stand,, a riot up ardmillan terrace with bus and car windows being smashed, not a great football impression made on me at 15 years old

Kato
26-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I started going to away Derbies when I was 10 in 1970. One thing you learned quickly about going to Tynecastle at that age and at that time was to run as soon as you got out the ground. If you dawdled or hung around you could depend on some Jambos* (grown men, older teenagers) would give you slap or more when they saw your scarf, usually with the addition of sectarian abuse "fenian b******" etc. You also made sure you didn't go upstairs on the bus in case any "hard men" got on. Cowards.

Changed days although you still hear the odd party song from them on derby days.

* also remembered "Jambo" was a insult name we had for them back then, at that time they called themselves "Jam Tarts", which was very gay of them. They wents nuts if you could them Jambos. There was still letters in the EEN not too long ago from irate ****s complaining that the word had gained common usage in their paper.

Brizo
26-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Looking back its strange to think how we took it all for granted. Running battles all the way down to Haymarket , seeing someone getting launched through a plate glass window in Dalry Road , never feeling 100% safe till you got to the east end of Princes Street. And that was after the fighting at the game and the darts,coins, golf balls getting thrown about.

Mid 70s to early 80s it was a scary experience going to Tynie but also highly exciting in a daft laddie kind of way. For various reasons that changed in the 80s.

There was thread on here a while back about putting up safety nets to stop people getting hit by stray balls :greengrin Shows how much the matchday has changed. Back in the old days if the only thing you got hit by at the derby was a stray ba that would have been a result.

Kato
26-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Looking back its strange to think how we took it all for granted. Running battles all the way down to Haymarket , seeing someone getting launched through a plate glass window in Dalry Road , never feeling 100% safe till you got to the east end of Princes Street. And that was after the fighting at the game and the darts,coins, golf balls getting thrown about.

Mid 70s to early 80s it was a scary experience going to Tynie but also highly exciting in a daft laddie kind of way. For various reasons that changed in the mid 80s.

There was thread on here a while back about putting up safety nets to stop people getting hit by stray balls :greengrin Shows how much the matchday has changed. Back in the old days if the only thing you got hit by at the derby was a stray ba that would have been a result.

By age 12 I was proud owner of a pit helmet, painted green with the players names in white on it. Saved me twice at ER, once with a bottle and another time with a full can (probably pish)- both Rangers fixtures.

Hiber-nation
26-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Now that I think about it (correct me if I'm wrong) this was probably the 1st Derby after that end of season EOS Shield game at ER, we won 1-0 with a Gerry O'Brien goal and it was absolute carnage afterwards along Albert Street etc.

Kato
26-08-2012, 07:43 PM
that end of season EOS Shield game at ER, we won 1-0 with a Gerry O'Brien goal

Was that when Drew Busby went through Arthur Duncan, breaking Duncan's leg?

Hiber-nation
26-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Was that when Drew Busby went through Arthur Duncan, breaking Duncan's leg?

Aye it was, and we thought he'd done the same to Bobby Smith shortly before but it was Bobby's shinpad cracking.

Busby was a complete and utter bawbag, most detestable jambo ever by a mile.

Kato
26-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Busby was a complete and utter bawbag, most detestable jambo ever by a mile.

Vivid memory of the Duncan tackle as it was so deliberately out to injure. A disgrace of a player. The word "Airdrieonians" sums hm up. I heard a story a while back that after that game both sets of players went out for a drink together and DB took a kicking behind the given out by guys from both clubs. Still hope it's true.

Gala Foxes
26-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I left at 0-1 and found out that we had equalised in Dalry Road, watched the game from the School End

hibs0666
27-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Was at this game, missed the Hibs goal as we had left, heard a cheer from outside of the ground and thought that was the final whistle.

Wasn't until we were half way up Gorgie Road that we found out Hibs had scored.

I was very young at the time and can't really remember the violence from the game, but in that report it appears nothing really changes with the mutants invading the pitch.....bunch of kitten murderes!!!

Kitten murderers - love it. :wink:

StevieC
27-08-2012, 09:21 AM
That was my first derby game at Tynecastle (aged 13) and it was mayhem. There was no segregation and it was almost impossible for the police to prevent trouble. I was in the School End and remember sporadic bouts of fighting throughout the game. Thankfully my dad had let me go on the understanding that i never wore a scarf which, although I moaned about at the time, I thanked him for afterwards.

After the equaliser it was carnage! Supporters on the pitch, major fighting around me in the School End, a huge fight in the School End side of the main stand, crushing towards the exits. When I say fighting though, it was more a case of any Hibs supporters still inside the stadium getting attacked.

I would say that this was pretty much the norm at derby games right through till about 1983 .. then the casuals arrived .. but that's another story.

kaimendhibs
27-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I was at the game, in the school end. It went nuts when Ally scored, total mayhem. It was all i could do to get out safely, think I left the ground backwards. Was off the ground completely at onepoint in the crush

NeilOrrSquareBa
27-08-2012, 12:05 PM
... a massive brawl just in front off me in the main stand

Ha ha! I must've been in front of you with my brother Dad and his pal. Old Stand Gorgie Road end, mixed set of fans. Hearts giving it to us tight. At that time Hearts were a poor team and we were on the slide after the Early 70's Tornadoes.

Anyway sitting there waiting for the final whistle when up pops Ally to stick one away. We naturally went wild. Next thing we knew this nutter launched himself from about 5 rows back to grab a Hibs fan in the row in front of me who was waving his scaf and cheering. He landed on my Dad whilst grabbing the Hibby's scarf and trying to throttle him . My Dad, all 5 foot nuthin' of him bellowed, "Get off me you Hearts *******!!" and smacked him one in the side of the head. The Nutters pals were trying to pull him off the Hibby and we were all watching (and I can only describe it thus) agog!

The Hearts fan was hauled off by his mates and the Hibby in front of us breathed again! My Dad suggested that then was good time to make a sharp exit.

As the other posters say Gorgie Road was like a scene from Lord of the Rings. Anywhere you saw green and white there were about 5 or six Maroon clad hooligans trying to rip their heads off. My scarf was well tucked below my jacket!!

Oh how we laughed when we were safely back inside a local pub soem miles from the carnage.

They were a bitter lot back then. They had not had a good record against us for most of the 70s (they were in the old 1st division for a large part of it) nd they hated us. Regretfully the boot is firmly on the other foot tiday and I really hope it's going to swing round again so my sons can enjoy the next 10 years like I did when Hibs were THE team in Edinburgh!

neilmartinrocks
27-08-2012, 04:48 PM
All i can rememder bout that game was trying to keep the auld boy i used to go with safe from the mobs of jambo mutants roaming the streets after the game. The guy refused to leave early and then wouldn't take his scarf off walking down Dalry I think it was. ****ing mayhem doesn't do it credit. We were attacked bout three times, me the auld ane and his nephew, on the way to his car. Oh aye and the polis did nothing to help us or stop them.

Koom
27-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Ha ha! I must've been in front of you with my brother Dad and his pal. Old Stand Gorgie Road end, mixed set of fans. Hearts giving it to us tight. At that time Hearts were a poor team and we were on the slide after the Early 70's Tornadoes.

Anyway sitting there waiting for the final whistle when up pops Ally to stick one away. We naturally went wild. Next thing we knew this nutter launched himself from about 5 rows back to grab a Hibs fan in the row in front of me who was waving his scaf and cheering. He landed on my Dad whilst grabbing the Hibby's scarf and trying to throttle him . My Dad, all 5 foot nuthin' of him bellowed, "Get off me you Hearts *******!!" and smacked him one in the side of the head. The Nutters pals were trying to pull him off the Hibby and we were all watching (and I can only describe it thus) agog!

The Hearts fan was hauled off by his mates and the Hibby in front of us breathed again! My Dad suggested that then was good time to make a sharp exit.

As the other posters say Gorgie Road was like a scene from Lord of the Rings. Anywhere you saw green and white there were about 5 or six Maroon clad hooligans trying to rip their heads off. My scarf was well tucked below my jacket!!

Oh how we laughed when we were safely back inside a local pub soem miles from the carnage.

They were a bitter lot back then. They had not had a good record against us for most of the 70s (they were in the old 1st division for a large part of it) nd they hated us. Regretfully the boot is firmly on the other foot tiday and I really hope it's going to swing round again so my sons can enjoy the next 10 years like I did when Hibs were THE team in Edinburgh!.....i think i must have been sitting beside you, remember the guy jumping the 5 rows over the seats!!

Kato
27-08-2012, 07:58 PM
They were so bitter at that time that within a few years, once segregation came in, they used to start huge fights amongst themselves. It was a regular feature in the early 80's - the seasons they weren't in the lower league. It was fun watching dozens of Jambos getting punched.

Fenriz
28-08-2012, 12:46 PM
As a relative youngster I find this all quite surprising in comparison to my derby experiences. I've often heard older people talk about how they'd go to Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the next, did this extreme acrimony between fans begin to emerge in the 70s? Did similar events occur on derby day at ER?

Keith_M
28-08-2012, 03:52 PM
If this report was from August 79, I'm sure there was already segregation at Tynecastle.

I attended the pre season 'friendly' games, involving Hibs/Heart/Man C/Cov C, and there was defo a fence between the shed and the Gorgie Road end. I know this for a fact because my Dad took us in the Wheatfield turnstiles and we were stuck in the wrong end of the ground for the game.

Not being a very large 13 year old, I thought it best to keep my scarf under my jacket.

Hiber-nation
28-08-2012, 04:19 PM
If this report was from August 79, I'm sure there was already segregation at Tynecastle.

I attended the pre season 'friendly' games, involving Hibs/Heart/Man C/Cov C, and there was defo a fence between the shed and the Gorgie Road end. I know this for a fact because my Dad took us in the Wheatfield turnstiles and we were stuck in the wrong end of the ground for the game.

Not being a very large 13 year old, I thought it best to keep my scarf under my jacket.

It was actually August 78...34 years ago.

Keith_M
28-08-2012, 06:21 PM
It was actually August 78...34 years ago.

That explains it, thanks for clearing that up :thumbsup: