PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Paid apprenticeship in a football office

bob12345
26-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Edinburgh based opening. Thought this may be of interest so some of the young Hibees.

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/news-a-media/featured-news/5494-paid-apprenticeship-vacancy-at-youth-football-scotland

MrSmith
26-08-2012, 11:07 AM
The Scottish Government's Modern Apprenticeship scheme is an absolute dream for those interested in gaining experience in media and technology. The college I work for is an approved center to deliver this qualification. I'm fortunate enough to be an approved assessor verifier for the scheme as well. It is a truly amazing opportunity for young people to get involved in. It enables them to lay down foundations for a career in the media in terms of: Radio, TV, Journalism, photography, video, sound engineering, technologies and communications. If not, they will walk away with the equivalent of an HNC in multi-media.

bob12345
26-08-2012, 05:41 PM
The Scottish Government's Modern Apprenticeship scheme is an absolute dream for those interested in gaining experience in media and technology. The college I work for is an approved center to deliver this qualification. I'm fortunate enough to be an approved assessor verifier for the scheme as well. It is a truly amazing opportunity for young people to get involved in. It enables them to lay down foundations for a career in the media in terms of: Radio, TV, Journalism, photography, video, sound engineering, technologies and communications. If not, they will walk away with the equivalent of an HNC in multi-media.

It is indeed a great scheme. I believe this one is in the leisure field rather than media/tech, but it's certainly the same idea.

Speedy
26-08-2012, 07:11 PM
How do they get away with discriminating based on age?

MrSmith
26-08-2012, 07:30 PM

Good question! I'll ask tomorrow at work.

Speedy
26-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Good question! I'll ask tomorrow at work.

I assume it's because you can only pay apprentice wages to people under a certain age.

TornadoHibby
27-08-2012, 06:02 AM

Same way as many other Employers do, generate a criteria that a specific candidate cannot meet but cannot take them to task on when the real reason is age discrimination.

Age discrimination is possibly one of the biggest area of candidate exclusion in recruitment but is one that seems so very easy to circumvent! I have no idea how a person so disadvantaged might take such a situation 'further' with any serious prospect of a successful challenge arising but look forward to hearing the rationale on this one!! :wink:

Hibby Bairn
27-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Is it not because modern apprenticeships only apply to young people aged 16-19?

bob12345
27-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Same way as many other Employers do, generate a criteria that a specific candidate cannot meet but cannot take them to task on when the real reason is age discrimination.

Age discrimination is possibly one of the biggest area of candidate exclusion in recruitment but is one that seems so very easy to circumvent! I have no idea how a person so disadvantaged might take such a situation 'further' with any serious prospect of a successful challenge arising but look forward to hearing the rationale on this one!! :wink:

For the record, we'd love to be able to hire a candidate of any age. However, the Modern Apprentice scheme has strict rules on the age front.

I'm not sure if this is connected, but right now there's huge pressure on the government to turn around the worst unemployment figures amongst young people in a long time. Another scheme, Community Jobs Scotland, is set to open for the same age range.

hibee92
13-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Edinburgh based opening. Thought this may be of interest so some of the young Hibees.

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/news-a-media/featured-news/5494-paid-apprenticeship-vacancy-at-youth-football-scotland

Can't thank you enough for putting this up mate, just landed the job! :thumbsup:

TornadoHibby
13-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Can't thank you enough for putting this up mate, just landed the job! :thumbsup:

Well done Mate! :aok:

Hope you really enjoy the entire experience! :agree:

Speedy
13-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Great news, well done! :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
13-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Great stuff, well done :thumbsup:

Jack Hackett
14-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Great to see a young Hibby benefit from another Hibby.

Good luck