PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Clancy

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Given that we are always quick to criticise poor refereeing I thought it only right that Kevin Clancy be congratulated on a fine display in our match against St Johnstone. No prancing about; no big I am; no centre of attention. Quietly efficient and let the game flow

Kevin Clancy :top marks

hibsbollah
25-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I thought the same. He must be new surely?

SheriffLobo
25-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Haha, I didn't realise that was his name. Kept moaning the BBC alba guy was getting Tim Clancy's name wrong.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I thought the same. He must be new surely?

Cat 1 since June 2009

Link here http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football_referees.cfm?page=2064&start=11

PatHead
25-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Thought he should have booked at least 2 Saint's players midway through 2nd half for fouls. Pretty much unseen for rest of game which is what you want from a ref.

Twiglet
25-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I thought he generally did well, thought he was a bit slow to caution some players to calm it and he managed to stand between players with the ball an where they were trying to pass a couple of times, but an improvement on some of the refs I've seen at ER in recent seasons.

SMAXXA
25-08-2012, 10:15 PM
I agree, credit where its due I thought he had a decent game. Yeah a few decisions could have been different, but common sense prevailed. He could have booked cairney for chiping the keeper when the whistle was clearly blown before. Word in the ear was sufficient so well done the ref.

CallumLaidlaw
25-08-2012, 10:18 PM
I noticed the saints fans ironically cheered him a few times do although I thought he did fine, I think the saints fans didn't feel the same

DaveF
26-08-2012, 08:58 AM
I noticed the saints fans ironically cheered him a few times do although I thought he did fine, I think the saints fans didn't feel the same

I don't think they have anything to complain about, as I agree the referee had a very good game. The difference between Clancy and erses like Thomson, Richmond et al can be measured in light years. Here's hoping he continues in the same vein.

Golden Bear
26-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Given that we are always quick to criticise poor refereeing I thought it only right that Kevin Clancy be congratulated on a fine display in our match against St Johnstone. No prancing about; no big I am; no centre of attention. Quietly efficient and let the game flow

Kevin Clancy :top marks

:agree:

Couldn't agree more. It's a sign that the Ref has a good game when he's hardly noticed and that was the case yesterday.

Aldo
26-08-2012, 09:31 AM
The incident where LG jumped in Cregg was dealt with very well. Other refs would of booked him in reputation alone. Was always in the spot to prevent any flash points.

The problem in Scottish football is one week it's the Edinburgh derby and the following week it's East Stirling v Forfar

jdships
26-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't think they have anything to complain about, as I agree the referee had a very good game. The difference between Clancy and erses like Thomson, Richmond et al can be measured in light years. Here's hoping he continues in the same vein.

:top marks
Was surprised to see he is only 29 years old ( born 1983) as he shows a great deal of maturity IMO
Good to see a decent ref being praised for his work :agree:

down-the-slope
26-08-2012, 10:01 AM
He seemed to talk to players more and there appeared more mutual respect between him and players. Most importantly him and his assistant got the call on Hanlons goal correct

jane_says
26-08-2012, 10:10 AM
The incident where LG jumped in Cregg was dealt with very well. Other refs would of booked him in reputation alone. Was always in the spot to prevent any flash points.

The problem in Scottish football is one week it's the Edinburgh derby and the following week it's East Stirling v Forfar

Thought that as well, the fans were getting on his back when he pulled him to the side but it was the right thing to do, daft tackle, nothing malicious but the word in the ear was right.

Credit where it's due, thought he had a good game.

greenlex
26-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Erse. Overfussy a couple of times at corners making sure Spoony wasn't stealing a couple of inches at the quadrant.

Golden Bear
26-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Erse. Overfussy a couple of times at corners making sure Spoony wasn't stealing a couple of inches at the quadrant.

It made all the difference. A few of his corners actually cleared the first defender yesterday.

:wink:

kaimendhibs
26-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I said yesterday I thought he had a good game. Well done ref

Jonnyboy
26-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Contrary is your middle name :greengrin

Twiglet
26-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Thought that as well, the fans were getting on his back when he pulled him to the side but it was the right thing to do, daft tackle, nothing malicious but the word in the ear was right.

Credit where it's due, thought he had a good game.

I admit i east shouting when he pulled Griffiths up. I thought he was going to book him, but when he had a wee word with him and Griffiths reaction to the wee word i backed down. Like someone said some refs would have booked him on reputation alone and i was wrong to react so quickly and assume how a ref is going to deal with a situation .

EdinMike
26-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Woke up today and considered making a thread of this myself, beat me to it yesterday while I was in the pub ! :scarf:

Indeed I thought he had a decent game, didn't recognise him myself during the game, and actually made the effort to find out who he was on my phone while in the stands.

JimBHibees
27-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Do we only praise refs when we win? Discuss. :greengrin

Frazerbob
27-08-2012, 10:19 AM
This is the ref who awarded the penalty against Rangers at Ibrox after a couple of minutes last week. Obviously he has a lot to learn!

CallumLaidlaw
27-08-2012, 10:23 AM
This is the ref who awarded the penalty against Rangers at Ibrox after a couple of minutes last week. Obviously he has a lot to learn!

That's another thing! Why the hell are Sevco getting SPL refs????

JimBHibees
27-08-2012, 10:29 AM
That's another thing! Why the hell are Sevco getting SPL refs????

I am not sure it is a case of there being SPL refs I think the ones who referee SPL and SFL are grade one refs who can referee at either level. SFA then choose who refs which game each week.

--------
27-08-2012, 10:59 AM

Unlike the guy who refereed them yesterday ....

Jonnyboy
27-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Do we only praise refs when we win? Discuss. :greengrin

I only praise them when they've done well. Doesn't happen often and last season it coincided with us hardly ever winning :greengrin

maturehibby
28-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Have held off giving my opinionon this referee till today so as I could look at his performance with a cool head .
He made most of the big decisions right - giving the goal being one and was right to book Spoonie for his antics when cautioned (Pat has him fired up for the game but will not like his dissent) however as the game progressed he was picking up on iffy fouls by Hibs players but allowed the Saints players to become more agressive in their tackles and Anderson was at least worthy of a booking for going through on a Hibs player but only got a "TutTut" from MR Clancy .
On a scale of one to 10 though compared to Thomson he was 11 to Thomsons ----0

JimBHibees
28-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I only praise them when they've done well. Doesn't happen often and last season it coincided with us hardly ever winning :greengrin

Yep more chance of seeing Hayleys comet than getting the two together last season that is for sure. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
28-08-2012, 09:35 AM
I am not sure it is a case of there being SPL refs I think the ones who referee SPL and SFL are grade one refs who can referee at either level. SFA then choose who refs which game each week.

I met a referee a few years ago (more than ten actually, now I think about it) - he was a grade 2 official and could referee any game up to Division One, and run the line in SPL games.

I'd imagine things are different now though. A friend's former boss was an SPL linesman (got European ties too), but never refereed.

JimBHibees
28-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I met a referee a few years ago (more than ten actually, now I think about it) - he was a grade 2 official and could referee any game up to Division One, and run the line in SPL games.

I'd imagine things are different now though.

You are probably right maybe Grade 1s can only do SPL but also obviously can do all the SFL games also.

HibsMax
28-08-2012, 05:00 PM
He seemed to talk to players more and there appeared more mutual respect between him and players. Most importantly him and his assistant got the call on Hanlons goal correct

Right!

The tube commentator on Hibs TV mentioned several times that he watched the replay and couldn't figure it out. I saw one replay and it was "clear" to me. The guy who kicked the ball out of the goal landed a few feet behind the line so the ball must have been back there with him. That said, there was no camera angle that SHOWED the ball over the line so I was putting together the "facts" as I saw them. ;)

CropleyWasGod
28-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Right!

The tube commentator on Hibs TV mentioned several times that he watched the replay and couldn't figure it out. I saw one replay and it was "clear" to me. The guy who kicked the ball out of the goal landed a few feet behind the line so the ball must have been back there with him. That said, there was no camera angle that SHOWED the ball over the line so I was putting together the "facts" as I saw them. ;)

Is that tube as in "toob" or "choob"? :greengrin

skankomcphee
12-02-2013, 07:49 AM
I see it was the same ref last night - I thought he had q decent enough game - no complaints with the penalty and McGivern was lucky not to see a second yellow IMHO. Boy in front of me was calling him the ''new Craig Thomson" - not sure which match he was watching.

HibeeN
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
I see it was the same ref last night - I thought he had q decent enough game - no complaints with the penalty and McGivern was lucky not to see a second yellow IMHO. Boy in front of me was calling him the ''new Craig Thomson" - not sure which match he was watching.

People around me were moaning about him too, but I can't remember any major decisions that I think he got wrong. A few 50/50s that I thought went against us but could have also been some the other way round too. No complaints from me.

Fergus52
12-02-2013, 11:47 AM
He just seemed pretty incompetent IMO.

Was completely inconsistent with the advantage rule, a couple of calls completely baffled me and he appeared to like the attention being on him.

I didn't think he was biased for either team, he just didn't have a good game.