PDA

View Full Version : Well done to the stewards today

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2012, 08:18 PM
On approaching the East Stand today the security guys stopped us and told us the young lad in our party couldn't enter with the bottle off juice he had on him.

However one of the stewards told us to hold fire - he then ran into the stadium and got a paper drink cup from one of the food outlets and poured the lads juice into this.

He said it would be a shame to waste a drink as it's expensive enough going to football.

These guys get it in the neck for treating the fans poorly - so just wanted to share the other side.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 08:20 PM
On approaching the East Stand today the security guys stopped us and told us the young lad in our party couldn't enter with the bottle off juice he had on him.

However one of the stewards told us to hold fire - he then ran into the stadium and got a paper drink cup from one of the food outlets and poured the lads juice into this.

He said it would be a shame to waste a drink as it's expensive enough going to football.

These guys get it in the neck for treating the fans poorly - so just wanted to share the other side.

Now that's what I call a feelgood story :thumbsup:

Well done that steward :agree:

SouthMoroccoStu
25-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Now that's what I call a feelgood story :thumbsup:

Well done that steward :agree:

Don't say it often but well done to the stewarding system.....

Let's build from here, make Easter Road a more enjoyable experience from that grass routes

PatHead
25-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm fed up with these feelgood stories, nice stewards, Hibs winning, players doing well, Good manager, Rangers going to the wall, etc.

When can we start moaning then?

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm fed up with these feelgood stories, nice stewards, Hibs winning, players doing well, Good manager, Rangers going to the wall, etc.

You just have :greengrin

LancashireHibby
25-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Make sure the club get to hear about it as well so that they can pass it on - it's only fair given the amount of stick they obviously get about the stewards over the course of a season :thumbsup:

Hibercelona
25-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Make sure the club get to hear about it as well so that they can pass it on - it's only fair given the amount of stick they obviously get about the stewards over the course of a season :thumbsup:

I think he would probably get into trouble if the club heard about it.

Although I believe he did the right thing, clubs don't want fans bringing their own food or drink in, regardless of how its packaged.

PatHead
25-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Although I believe he did the right thing, clubs don't want fans bringing their own food or drink in, regardless of how its packaged.

They don't mind crisps or bags of juice or chocolate bags or greggs so not so sure about that.

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Hibs franchise out the food areas - so makes no difference financially to the club if fans buy outwith the stadium.

PatHead
25-08-2012, 08:50 PM
You just have :greengrin

One swallow doesn't make a summer

LancashireHibby
25-08-2012, 08:50 PM

They don't mind food being brought from outside, it's just bottles that they don't let in (although in the past they've just taken off the bottle top?)

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 08:51 PM
One swallow doesn't make a summer

Then again, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush :wink:

fatbloke
26-08-2012, 10:39 AM

My son working at ER and PBS and others for G4S. He says they are encouraged now to be less stewardy and more customer friendly:thumbsup:.

MountcastleHibs
26-08-2012, 10:45 AM
They don't mind food being brought from outside, it's just bottles that they don't let in (although in the past they've just taken off the bottle top?)

Bottles aren't allowed in any stadium in Scotland. Or cans for that matter. Alcoholic or not. The danger of them being thrown onto the pitch.

danhibees1875
26-08-2012, 10:57 AM
My son working at ER and PBS and others for G4S. He says they are encouraged now to be less stewardy and more customer friendly:thumbsup:.

As do I (apart from at ER), and I've heard of this sort of thing happening before. :agree:

It's certainly a nice change seeing a positive story regarding my job for a change. :greengrin Especially since when I passed the area outside the East there seemed to be a shortage of stewards and it was extra busy with punters.

Bottles aren't allowed in any stadium in Scotland. Or cans for that matter. Alcoholic or not. The danger of them being thrown onto the pitch.

I've sometimes been told at Murreyfield that small bottles of soft drink/water are okay as long as they haven't been opened.

SMAXXA
26-08-2012, 12:22 PM

You missed the praising of the referee also :greengrin

KingFranck
26-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I along with my 9 year old son went to the Newcastle v Spurs last Saturday and approaching the gates I asked the steward if my son could take his bottle of water in. Of course was the reply bottles of water or juice are allowed but no cans. Just wondering why the law is different up here ?

hibee
26-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I along with my 9 year old son went to the Newcastle v Spurs last Saturday and approaching the gates I asked the steward if my son could take his bottle of water in. Of course was the reply bottles of water or juice are allowed but no cans. Just wondering why the law is different up here ?

Just the usual, punish the majority because one or two idiots chucked a plastic bottle on the pitch once!

Danderhall Hibs
26-08-2012, 02:40 PM
In England they just take the top off - that means if you were tempted to chuck it it couldn't fly very far. It also means you can buy a real juice at the match instead of just capri sun or ribena

Franck Stanton
26-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Because Scotland is , and has been for some time, used to try out new legistration. The Law in Scotland is that no container capable of holding liquid [means alcohol in reality] is allowed into any designated sports ground. [ There are exceptions that local councils can grant, ie Murrayfield for International Rugby, when and if they please]. If it can be controlled here then consideration is given to extending the law to the whole of Britain. Dont quote me but am sure it is covered by the Licencing [Scotland] Act. At the end of the day,[ in an international kind of way,] it makes sence as there are only about 5 1/2 million people in Scotland, and there are more people in London alone, so, try it out on us first to see if it is enforcable.

marinello59
26-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Because Scotland is , and has been for some time, used to try out new legistration. The Law in Scotland is that no container capable of holding liquid [means alcohol in reality] is allowed into any designated sports ground. [ There are exceptions that local councils can grant, ie Murrayfield for International Rugby, when and if they please]. If it can be controlled here then consideration is given to extending the law to the whole of Britain. Dont quote me but am sure it is covered by the Licencing [Scotland] Act. At the end of the day,[ in an international kind of way,] it makes sence as there are only about 5 1/2 million people in Scotland, and there are more people in London alone, so, try it out on us first to see if it is enforcable.

Erm..........that ain't the reason. We imposed this law on ourselves.

KingFranck
26-08-2012, 03:59 PM
In England they just take the top off - that means if you were tempted to chuck it it couldn't fly very far. It also means you can buy a real juice at the match instead of just capri sun or ribena

Not true mate, the steward said the bottles were fine as they were. No instructions to take the top off went into the ground with 2 x water bottles complete with lids.

Danderhall Hibs
26-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Not true mate, the steward said the bottles were fine as they were. No instructions to take the top off went into the ground with 2 x water bottles complete with lids.

I think if you buy a bottle in a ground they give you it with the lid off. Obviously you looked trustworthy enough......

essexhibee
26-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I went to White Hart Lane in the away end watching southend and the steward at the gate took the cap off me coke and threw it on the floor.

Mates goes to the food bit in there, orders bottle of coke, and it comes back with the lid on.

Good logic eh :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
27-08-2012, 08:28 AM
As do I (apart from at ER), and I've heard of this sort of thing happening before. :agree:

It's certainly a nice change seeing a positive story regarding my job for a change. :greengrin Especially since when I passed the area outside the East there seemed to be a shortage of stewards and it was extra busy with punters.

I've sometimes been told at Murreyfield that small bottles of soft drink/water are okay as long as they haven't been opened.

And now to experience the other side of stewarding/policing at parkhead this week, we should actually ask for one of the clubs executives to sit in the Hibs end for the game??

Sir David Gray
27-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Well done to the steward, I actually saw another steward do the same thing with a young girl during the derby as well.

But how about we bring in a real revolutionary idea and actually start treating people as responsible human beings and allow them to bring in bottles of juice!?

I think people should be treated as responsible human beings until they prove to be otherwise and then dealt with if they misbehave. It's not the bottles that are the problem, it's the people who are in possession of them and who are tempted to throw them.

I honestly don't believe that anyone will be at any greater risk of harm if plastic bottles were to be permitted into football grounds. Those pesky football fans in England seem to be able to control themselves during their matches and you don't hear about many incidents occurring down there where bottles have been used as a weapon.

I actually think the canes that are attached to flags are more of a danger than plastic bottles and yet those are allowed, up to a certain length.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Well done to the steward, I actually saw another steward do the same thing with a young girl during the derby as well.

But how about we bring in a real revolutionary idea and actually start treating people as responsible human beings and allow them to bring in bottles of juice!?

I think people should be treated as responsible human beings until they prove to be otherwise and then dealt with if they misbehave. It's not the bottles that are the problem, it's the people who are in possession of them and who are tempted to throw them.

I honestly don't believe that anyone will be at any greater risk of harm if plastic bottles were to be permitted into football grounds. Those pesky football fans in England seem to be able to control themselves during their matches and you don't hear about many incidents occurring down there where bottles have been used as a weapon.

I actually think the canes that are attached to flags are more of a danger than plastic bottles and yet those are allowed, up to a certain length.

:agree: My golfing (javelin) brolley would do a fair bit of damage too. :greengrin

kevinref
27-08-2012, 04:08 PM
it happened to me at the derby, I usually take the packet juice with me because i sometimes have to use a spray for chest pains,(tastes horrible), anyway couldn't get one so bought plastic bottle
I usually carry a small shoulder bag with me, as I use a walking stick,when i went up to the turnstile,
the steward asked if he could see in the bag, as expected, no probs with that, get that in any ground,
steward says I cant take the bottle into the ground, I explained what the bottle was for,
steward says wait there he will get a container, came back couple of mins later with coke cup and lid,
emptied juice into container, and then steward opened side door for me,
even checked my ticket to see where i was sitting, found i was in the middle of south lower,
he even managed to get me a seat at the side of steps so i didn.t have to go through everyone,
fair play to the steward for that,
Its great to get treated like a human being for once and not just a number or peice of meat like you do in some away grounds,
letter was posted to hibs to forward on to the stewards company for the help that the guy gave me.