PDA

View Full Version : Racist shouts from the West stand lower

H18sry
25-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Steward's then police held and questioned 5 or 6 guy's for apparently using racist comments/noises towards Tade, they were then arrested /ejected from the stadium at H/T :fuming:

Lets leave all that nonsense away from Hibs games

Keith_M
25-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Steward's then police held and questioned 5 or 6 guy's for apparently using racist comments/noises towards Tade, they were then arrested /ejected from the stadium at H/T :fuming:

If true, I hope Hibs find out who they are and ban them for life.

Golden Bear
25-08-2012, 05:30 PM

I must have missed all that ------------ where about in the West stand lower did this happen?

givescotlandfreedom
25-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Hope they're banned if this is true.

Northernhibee
25-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Not Hibs fans; just the lowest of the low that we don't want anywhere near our stadium.

Lock them up.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2012, 05:33 PM
If proven ban them for good.

Bigotry of any kind has no place in a football stadium, or anywhere else for that matter, in 2012.

PatHead
25-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Bigotry of any kind has no place in a football stadium, or anywhere else for that matter, in 2012.

Banning noy enough. Jail them and set a good example then ban them.

DanTheMan
25-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Once again a guy in the East calling Maybury a hearts b******. Pathetic.

H18sry
25-08-2012, 05:42 PM
I must have missed all that ------------ where about in the West stand lower did this happen?

FF end :wink:

PeterboroHibee
25-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Totally agree, these idiots shouldnt be anywhere near ER.

hibee
25-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Is that why there was a policeman sitting in there, looked like he was watching videos on people's phones, I thought he was just being lazy!

SloopJB
25-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Once again a guy in the East calling Maybury a hearts b******. Pathetic.
Guy in the FF just moaned and moaned and moaned. 90 minutes, and that was just in the first half.
Don't know why he went.
Boy next to him done a runner at half time cos his ears were bleeding, wish I'd done the same.

S.sct
25-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Didn't see or hear that fron FF but plenty of gingerist shouts at Craig from around me even though we have our own red head in Doyle, tools.

Aldo
25-08-2012, 06:44 PM
If you hear it report it. Folk that sit and put up with it are daft. There is absolutely no place for that anywhere IMHO.

Shop them and ban them. Imagine yur bairn coming out with that sort if garbage at school.

Hainan Hibs
25-08-2012, 06:48 PM
No place for that at ER (or anywhere infact). Hope Hibs find out who they are and give out a few bans.

Disappointing to hear about constant moaning and abuse of our own players also. We've started to show the fight that we all wanted and we have got two good wins, we should be getting right behind the boys, they are doing what we asked for.

LancashireHibby
25-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Encouraging to hear the police were looking at footage on people's phones, and a big mark of respect to those who were brave enough to film them as sometimes people are (justifiably) that the nuggets chucking this abuse will turn on them for obviously objecting to them. Hopefully there's enough evidence to get them banned for life at the very least, if not take criminal proceedings, if they're proven to have been giving out racist abuse.

Anyone know if the club would face possible sanctions or would that be reliant on Tade putting in an official complaint?

matty_f
25-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Completely unacceptable and i am glad it was dealt with. There's no place for that anywhere, let alone Easter Road.

judas
25-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Racism in not acceptable and it is right that we speak against and call for some kind of action. But, why do we dish out lifetime bans? No murder has been committed nor blood spilled. Is redemption not possible? Is there to be no hope that a person can over the course of their life, change?

Sorry, but I think lifetime bans are called for too easily.

jane_says
25-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Guy in the FF just moaned and moaned and moaned. 90 minutes, and that was just in the first half.
Don't know why he went.
Boy next to him done a runner at half time cos his ears were bleeding, wish I'd done the same.

Either we were sitting close to each other or they're brothers. The guy near me had it in for Maybury and Claros big time, quietened down in the 2nd though, don't think i could have kept my mouth shut if he'd carried on.

lord bunberry
25-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Completely unacceptable and i am glad it was dealt with. There's no place for that anywhere, let alone Easter Road.

Hear hear totally unacceptable

joe breezy
25-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Get them tae ****, season tickets to Ibrox or Airdrie, not welcome at Hibs

dangermouse
25-08-2012, 09:27 PM
5 lads were ejected from the stadium today at half time (one of them was my son). One of my son's classmates did indeed racially abuse Tade and was spoken to by stewards after being identified by two separate supporters. He stupidly denied it and my son and his four pals were then spoken to as well. The culprit was arrested and later released. I have since spoken to his mum and she is not letting him return to Easter Road.

My son and his pals tried to get the lad that was arrested to stop using the language he did but to no avail. My son and his pals were refused re-entry to the stadium (wrongly in my opinion as they had done nothing wrong) and I had no option but to leave with him as well (I was not sitting anywhere near the incident by the way).

All of the boys had their season tickets withheld by the stewards and the club will be writing to them this week.

Suffice to say, the culprit who is only 14 (no excuse I know) feels really bad a bout the whole thing and I understand is very repentant.

ALF TUPPER
25-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I thought I had heard a racist shout. Kinda hoped I was mistaken :grr:

Pretty Boy
25-08-2012, 09:45 PM
5 lads were ejected from the stadium today at half time (one of them was my son). One of my son's classmates did indeed racially abuse Tade and was spoken to by stewards after being identified by two separate supporters. He stupidly denied it and my son and his four pals were then spoken to as well. The culprit was arrested and later released. I have since spoken to his mum and she is not letting him return to Easter Road.

My son and his pals tried to get the lad that was arrested to stop using the language he did but to no avail. My son and his pals were refused re-entry to the stadium (wrongly in my opinion as they had done nothing wrong) and I had no option but to leave with him as well (I was not sitting anywhere near the incident by the way).

All of the boys had their season tickets withheld by the stewards and the club will be writing to them this week.

Suffice to say, the culprit who is only 14 (no excuse I know) feels really bad a bout the whole thing and I understand is very repentant.

Does put a different slant on things to be fair.

We all done daft things at that age, the lad should really be old enough to know better at 14 but I think we all said and done things when we were young to try and impress our mates that we aren't proud of now.

Hopefully the boys not directly involved will get their STs back and the 'guilty party' get a couple of months ban and a stern warning about future.conduct. Racism isn't acceptable at any age but its a bit more undertandable in a daft laddie than a grown man.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 09:46 PM

We all done daft things at that age, the lad should really be old enough to know better at 14 but I think we all said and done things when we were young to try and impress our mates that we aren't proud of now.

Hopefully the boys not directly involved will get their STs back and the 'guilty party' get a couple of months ban and a stern warning about future.conduct. Racism isn't acceptable at any age but its a bit more undertandable in a daft laddie than a grown man.

:agree:

cabbageandribs1875
25-08-2012, 09:47 PM

good you gave an account of what happened, obviously a silly wee boy, we've all been idiots at one time or another when young teenagers(AND as adults), although i'm sure a few on here will have been life-long angels, we all have to live and learn when growing up and hopefully a right good talking to will lead the young guys on to being better human beings, no need for any sine die bans from ER as some are calling for(imo)

SloopJB
25-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Either we were sitting close to each other or they're brothers. The guy near me had it in for Maybury and Claros big time, quietened down in the 2nd though, don't think i could have kept my mouth shut if he'd carried on.

We were in GG in the upper, wasn't just Maybury & Claros, anything and everything.
First goal " we'll take it but we should be two or three down, we've done nothing"
He said about Doyle's goal "he didnae kick that very hard did he?"

Yey

joe breezy
25-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Quite sad that Hibs have lost 5 young fans today because of the taunts of one...

PatHead
25-08-2012, 10:10 PM

You weren't in FF were you? Just we saw a guy getting spoken to by a policeman then leaving and couldn't work out what had happened?

Dashing Bob S
25-08-2012, 10:24 PM

If common sense prevails, that's exactly how it should go down.

jabis
25-08-2012, 11:08 PM

eeeeeerrrrr no,never let him near ER again.

Steve-O
26-08-2012, 01:29 AM
eeeeeerrrrr no,never let him near ER again.

Behave.

IFONLY
26-08-2012, 01:49 AM

Why did the boys not directly involved get ejected and their season tickets taken from them??? My nephew was one of them and I am very angry about the way he was treated. Why was he and his friends ejected when they knew who the guilty party was?????

IFONLY
26-08-2012, 01:54 AM

It was only ONE person making racist remarks so please get your FACTS RIGHT before posting!!!!!!!!!

Pretty Boy
26-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Why did the boys not directly involved get ejected and their season tickets taken from them??? My nephew was one of them and I am very angry about the way he was treated. Why was he and his friends ejected when they knew who the guilty party was?????

Obviously I can't speak for Hibs or the stewards. However if i had to guess I'd say the stewards/Police probably got a complaint about racism from 'that group of laddies' or 'that area over there'. If, as a poster above has said, the laddie who did make racist comments denied it they've probably taken the decision to remove the whole group. Not saying this is right but if i was your nephew I'd be more pissed off at my mate for allowing me to share the rap rather than owning up to the stewards and Police.

Hopefully Hibs don't make the same knee jerk reaction a few, including myself, made on here and investigate the facts and make a decision on that. If they were checking footage on peoples phones then it suggests they might. Hopefully common sense prevails and its realised that it was just a group of young guys with one of them trying to show off. A warning and give them their STs back.

Beefster
26-08-2012, 08:50 AM

If the racial abuse has been video'd, I'm sure that will sort out who has done what so your son shouldn't have much to worry about.

I've got little sympathy for the guilty laddie though. Sometimes you just need to man up and take the punishment coming to you.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Obviously I can't speak for Hibs or the stewards. However if i had to guess I'd say the stewards/Police probably got a complaint about racism from 'that group of laddies' or 'that area over there'. If, as a poster above has said, the laddie who did make racist comments denied it they've probably taken the decision to remove the whole group. Not saying this is right but if i was your nephew I'd be more pissed off at my mate for allowing me to share the rap rather than owning up to the stewards and Police.

Hopefully Hibs don't make the same knee jerk reaction a few, including myself, made on here and investigate the facts and make a decision on that. If they were checking footage on peoples phones then it suggests they might. Hopefully common sense prevails and its realised that it was just a group of young guys with one of them trying to show off. A warning and give them their STs back.

Yes, I think its extremely honourable of these young chaps not to 'grass up' their comrade, as misguided as he was. It shows the type of character we should be trying to instil in the stands, instead of a bunch of passive consumers loyal to nothing but the party line trotted out by club/media/authorities. Of course, it only makes the actions of the abusive party all the more contemptible, in letting his chums share the rap. I'm sure they will have had a 'strong words' with him on his future behaviour at football games.

LeighLoyal
26-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Yes, it's not 1987 when you couldn't buy a single banana in Gorgie when the Orcs visited Swinie with their Bank of Scotland funded black flash Mark Walters. To Rangers credit they signed a black player two years before their first Catholic.

Hibee Ryan
26-08-2012, 09:50 AM
It was only ONE person making racist remarks so please get your FACTS RIGHT before posting!!!!!!!!!

Calm down mate, he did get it right, sort of, 5 lads were questioned about it albeit that it was only one boy that done it but he saw the 5 being questioned about it and posted it!

CraigHibee
26-08-2012, 09:51 AM

i'd hope the fact that the culprit got arrested the club should be handing the season tickets back without any fuss (minus the racist's)

IFONLY
26-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Calm down mate, he did get it right, sort of, 5 lads were questioned about it albeit that it was only one boy that done it but he saw the 5 being questioned about it and posted it!

In other words he made a judgement without facts, one of lifes big problems

Hibee Ryan
26-08-2012, 10:34 AM

He posted what he saw onto the forum for people to discuss. He had nearly the whole story right apart from the bit about only one actually making the racist remarks. 5 lads were questioned, 5 lads were ejected from the stadium...

Just Alf
26-08-2012, 10:40 AM
He posted what he saw onto the forum for people to discuss. He had nearly the whole story right apart from the bit about only one actually making the racist remarks. 5 lads were questioned, 5 lads were ejected from the stadium...

And he only got that bit wrong because the culprit was happy to let the other 4 take the flack beside him..... If he'd put his hands up at the start then it would have been one ejected.

Hopefully the laddie takes this as a lesson and moves on from it.

VickMackie
26-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Sorry, but the post you quoted clearly says 5 people were questioned. You've confirmed this is true.

silverhibee
26-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Not nice to hear but as Pretty Boy says he is just a young lad and we all done stupid things when we were young, a stern talking to from the Police and i am sure his mum and Dad will be having a word to about his behaviour.

But were they easy targets for the Police who knew they would have no hassle detaining this group as they were a bunch of kids in an empty West Stand, would L&Bs finest been quick enough to go in to the away stand if it was full of celtc yams or newco giving this abuse out, i have my doubts about that, these fans come to our ground and sing there poison when playing against us and you never see the police moving in and detaining folk, is it because they are not easy targets and know if they were to move in and arrest them there would be a riot so rather than any bother they just turn a blind eye to it because of the hassle that might happen.

I no what the lad has said was wrong and at 14 he should no better by now, but at 14 and in an empty stand maybe the Police seen them as easy targets and thought we will show them, but 3500 in the away stand all probably steaming(the media call them the minority) and all men singing and more than likely saying worse than the young lad but the Police would just stand there and let it go because the trouble it may cause to move in and arrest these folk.

I expect to see Hundreds of arrests when the soap dodgers come calling to our ground.

IFONLY
26-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Sorry, but the post you quoted clearly says 5 people were questioned. You've confirmed this is true.

What part of my post confirms that???

ginger_rice
26-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Hope the daft laddie is going to write to the club to exonerate the four others.

Being lifted at the football is a very hard lesson to learn, it could be something he'll regret for some time to come, perhaps he should liaise with the club to see if there's some community scheme, preferably with minority groups, he can get involved with to help make amends.

H18sry
26-08-2012, 11:30 AM

Did you see the word APPARENTLY :rolleyes:

So my statement is correct :rolleyes:

IFONLY
26-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Not nice to hear but as Pretty Boy says he is just a young lad and we all done stupid things when we were young, a stern talking to from the Police and i am sure his mum and Dad will be having a word to about his behaviour.

But were they easy targets for the Police who knew they would have no hassle detaining this group as they were a bunch of kids in an empty West Stand, would L&Bs finest been quick enough to go in to the away stand if it was full of celtc yams or newco giving this abuse out, i have my doubts about that, these fans come to our ground and sing there poison when playing against us and you never see the police moving in and detaining folk, is it because they are not easy targets and know if they were to move in and arrest them there would be a riot so rather than any bother they just turn a blind eye to it because of the hassle that might happen.

I no what the lad has said was wrong and at 14 he should no better by now, but at 14 and in an empty stand maybe the Police seen them as easy targets and thought we will show them, but 3500 in the away stand all probably steaming(the media call them the minority) and all men singing and more than likely saying worse than the young lad but the Police would just stand there and let it go because the trouble it may cause to move in and arrest these folk.

I expect to see Hundreds of arrests when the soap dodgers come calling to our ground.

A very sensible post, a lot better than ones from people who live in ivory towers and never do anything wrong, and how right you are regarding them being an easy target. A responsible adult nearby could have had a word with the boy and put him straight, if he continued then he should have been reported I dont condone this young boys actions but the holier than thou brigade are having a field day with this.

dangermouse
26-08-2012, 11:36 AM
You weren't in FF were you? Just we saw a guy getting spoken to by a policeman then leaving and couldn't work out what had happened?

As the thread title says, I'm in the West Lower.

dangermouse
26-08-2012, 11:41 AM
If the racial abuse has been video'd, I'm sure that will sort out who has done what so your son shouldn't have much to worry about.

I've got little sympathy for the guilty laddie though. Sometimes you just need to man up and take the punishment coming to you.

The club has no video evidence of this. Confirmed today by L&B police

dangermouse
26-08-2012, 11:42 AM
And he only got that bit wrong because the culprit was happy to let the other 4 take the flack beside him..... If he'd put his hands up at the start then it would have been one ejected.

Hopefully the laddie takes this as a lesson and moves on from it.

He is very repentant.

ginger_rice
26-08-2012, 11:50 AM
A very sensible post, a lot better than ones from people who live in ivory towers and never do anything wrong, and how right you are regarding them being an easy target. A responsible adult nearby could have had a word with the boy and put him straight, if he continued then he should have been reported I dont condone this young boys actions but the holier than thou brigade are having a field day with this.

Aye there but for the grace of God springs to mind, tell you what, I wish I'd a fiver for all the daft things I've shouted out in the heat of the moment especially when I was a teenager. The lad may or may not be a racist, the truth probably is that he isn't, but just trying to show off to impress his pals.

machibby
26-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I trust the club will consider the action taken so far along with a final warning will be enough to deter such stupidity from this kid. Hopefully we all remember that stupidity and being a kid is part and part of growing up and I know for sure I learnt alot from my errors at this age. At the same time I think it was right to at least eject the boy from the ground as he needs to know that's the stance. As has also been said perhaps if similar actions were taken against 'harder' adult targets, in particular some of the bile we hear from OF support, then silly kids might understand better what is and isn't acceptable and what the repercussions are.

Hibbyradge
26-08-2012, 12:26 PM
But were they easy targets for the Police who knew they would have no hassle detaining this group as they were a bunch of kids in an empty West Stand, would L&Bs finest been quick enough to go in to the away stand if it was full of celtc yams or newco giving this abuse out, i have my doubts about that, these fans come to our ground and sing there poison when playing against us and you never see the police moving in and detaining folk, is it because they are not easy targets and know if they were to move in and arrest them there would be a riot

I understand your point, and on the surface of it, it does seem unfair, but I don't think the police are to blame. Loads of crimes are committed that the police, for one reason or another, are unable to deal with.

If a potential course of action by the police would "cause a riot" then they would need to decide whether it would be proportionate/sensible/safe to take that action.

Just because in some cases they don't have the manpower to deal with a crime, shouldn't mean that they ignore all instances.

heidtheba
26-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Encouraging to hear the police were looking at footage on people's phones, and a big mark of respect to those who were brave enough to film them as sometimes people are (justifiably) that the nuggets chucking this abuse will turn on them for obviously objecting to them. Hopefully there's enough evidence to get them banned for life at the very least, if not take criminal proceedings, if they're proven to have been giving out racist abuse.

Anyone know if the club would face possible sanctions or would that be reliant on Tade putting in an official complaint?

I'd hope that racism complaints can be 'actioned' by anyone who finds it offensive...step back if it has to be the focus of the attack who reports it. Not a comment on your question, just a hope that the law sees it this way!

VickMackie
26-08-2012, 01:07 PM
What part of my post confirms that???

The part where you said five were ejected.

It's fair to assume the police never walked up and threw out 5 people with no dialogue at all.

It also sounds like you weren't there so there's more evidence from other witnesses than you.

Anyway, this is detracting from the point and tbh I don't really care about your sensitivities here.

The situation has been clarified.

EdinMike
26-08-2012, 01:13 PM
What saddens me about this whole thing that no one has really touched on, is that Racism, in it's stupid and childish form still exists and apparently is being passed on to another generation... Sad really.

I hope this Kid has learnt a lesson, and I hope the other kids who weren't involved have there season tickets reinstated.

The fact he denied his chanting is obvious, i mean c'mon, whenever someone asked you if you did anything at that age what did you say !?

"Wasnae me" Silly I know, and never on that scale but I did it, and I'm sure you'll find most of you did too.

NAE NOOKIE
26-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Kids do stupid things and to be honest given his age a warning should be enough.

Not surprised that his mates were lifted as well, its pretty well standard practice for the Police to not be too bothered about asking questions at the time and just to remove everybody they think is involved. Thats not a criticism of the Police in so many words, its just my experience.

Gus
26-08-2012, 01:56 PM
As said many times, kids and adults do silly things. What u want is for the lad to realise that there are consequences for your actions. Getting chucked out of one game is not enough. Racism has no place.

Personally I think a letter of apology from the lad to Tade also

H18sry
26-08-2012, 02:32 PM
The part where you said five were ejected.

It's fair to assume the police never walked up and threw out 5 people with no dialogue at all.

It also sounds like you weren't there so there's more evidence from other witnesses than you.

Anyway, this is detracting from the point and tbh I don't really care about your sensitivities here.

The situation has been clarified.

The stewards took 1 lad down to the concourse after 25 mins or so, then a few minutes later another steward/police went up and brought down 4 or 5 other guys, and they were all being questioned by police officers [around 8 of them] until 10 minutes in to the half time interval, then they were all taken outside.

lyonhibs
26-08-2012, 02:44 PM
It's funny, I did daft things as a laddie, but never racist daft things. The culprit should be banned for life from ER. If you're 14 and old enough to know the racist terms that invariably made up this abuse, then you're old enough to take the full rap for it. Not some "kiddies friendly" version.

Beefster
26-08-2012, 02:54 PM
It's funny, I did daft things as a laddie, but never racist daft things. The culprit should be banned for life from ER. If you're 14 and old enough to know the racist terms that invariably made up this abuse, then you're old enough to take the full rap for it. Not some "kiddies friendly" version.

Yup, even if he is just being an idiot, he needs some education rather than just being told not to do it again. There are obviously underlying racist views going on.

Bishop Hibee
26-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Yup, even if he is just being an idiot, he needs some education rather than just being told not to do it again. There are obviously underlying racist views going on.

Kids are told over and over and over again from nursery to S6 in schools that racism is not acceptable. Lesson after lesson in primary schools on culture diversity, global citizenship etc. quite rightly in a multi-cultural society. It's not lack of education in schools that's the issue.

dangermouse
26-08-2012, 03:31 PM

Do you know the lad? Is this a dig at his parents and up bringing? A strange assumption to make. I know him and am surprised he came out with what he did. His parents are gob smacked.

Beefster
26-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Do you know the lad? Is this a dig at his parents and up bringing? A strange assumption to make. I know him and am surprised he came out with what he did. His parents are gob smacked.

I'm not sure how it could be construed as a dig at his parents. At all.

I'm not sure how thinking that shouting racist abuse means that there are some underlying racist views is a strange assumption either. It seems like a perfectly logical assumption to me.

I got into all sort of scrapes when I was a kid. It wasn't my parents' fault, they brought me up very well, and plenty folk/teachers were surprised I got into trouble. I still got into trouble though.

dangermouse
26-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure how it could be construed as a dig at his parents. At all.

I'm not sure how thinking that shouting racist abuse means that there are some underlying racist views is a strange assumption either. It seems like a perfectly logical assumption to me.

I got into all sort of scrapes when I was a kid. It wasn't my parents' fault, they brought me up very well, and plenty folk/teachers were surprised I got into trouble. I still got into trouble though.

Probably the comment about education. Don't get me wrong I no way condone what this lad has done and knowing him I'm very disappointed in him.

My main anger is my son got ejected from the ground along with three others for doing nothing wrong. I'm rather surprised I wasn't asked to be present while my son was questioned after he pointed me out to a policeman having spotted me in the queue at the food kiosk completely ignorant of what had happened.

Beefster
26-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Probably the comment about education. Don't get me wrong I no way condone what this lad has done and knowing him I'm very disappointed in him.

My main anger is my son got ejected from the ground along with three others for doing nothing wrong. I'm rather surprised I wasn't asked to be present while my son was questioned after he pointed me out to a policeman having spotted me in the queue at the food kiosk completely ignorant of what had happened.

Sorry, I meant that someone should be having a chat with him about why he felt the need to shout these things and why it is wrong rather than a policeman just slapping him on the wrist and Hibs banning him with no real attempt to get to the root causes.

I'd be the same if my son had been caught up in the same scenario. My Dad always used to bang on about "You fly with the craws, you get shot with the craws" but it just sounds like lazy policing/stewarding in this case.

The Green Goblin
26-08-2012, 05:20 PM

That's a total over-reaction and it's not even true. With only a couple of exceptions, the posts on this thread are suggesting that they get a warning and that this incident be used as a way of educating the kid(s) involved to learn from it and not repeat the same mistake again. I think you need to take a step back and stop seeing things which aren't there.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Give the guy a warning, even a ban from easter road for the season he does need to know this is not welcome at easter road.

The other 4 lads have nothing to apologise for in my opinion, and should be welcome back.

If he's given a warning or even banned for a season, i'm pretty sure at that age he will have learnt a valuable lesson, and will hopefully not do anything like this ever again?

Brizo
26-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Thats a bit harsh imo.

When i started to read the thread and talk of "lads" tbh I thought it meant "lads" in the fitba gadgie type way the words used but turns out the culprit was 14. Dont get me wrong , by 14 someone should know not to make racist comments. But if I look at some of the stuff I sang and shouted on the terracing at 14 , while not racist equally offensive , and some of the shennanigans i got up to well after 14, then by your criteria id never have been back to ER.

Consequently i do think that age is a mitigating factor and a season long ban would imo be sufficient punishment and a suitable deterrent to others considering shouting such nonsense.

Good to see the police /stewards taking positive action as i believe out support has become more racist over recent years. Unfortunately some of the worst offenders are 44 rather than 14.... and for them i would agree with a lifetime ban.

Katiedoubter
26-08-2012, 07:46 PM
I would like to think that if it had been my son, he would choose his friends a bit more carefully.
maybe the perpetrator should get to meet tade.
a seasons ban from the holy ground would probably do.
just my opinion however, and according to my wife's statistics, it doesn't count anyway.

ggtth

One Day
26-08-2012, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;3340057]

The other 4 lads have nothing to apologise for in my opinion, and should be welcome backQUOTE]

If it was clear they were innocent they should receive an apology

Phil D. Rolls
26-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Condemning people for life at 14 is the job of teachers. I reckon this boy will learn his lesson, and the way some are attacking him on here is OTT. The law recognises that minors don't have full capacity to make decisions. We should too.

I say give him a chance to improve.

One Day
26-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Condemning people for life at 14 is the job of teachers. I reckon this boy will learn his lesson, and the way some are attacking him on here is OTT. The law recognises that minors don't have full capacity to make decisions. We should too.

Hear Hear

jacomo
26-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Give the guy a warning, even a ban from easter road for the season he does need to know this is not welcome at easter road.

The other 4 lads have nothing to apologise for in my opinion, and should be welcome back.

If he's given a warning or even banned for a season, i'm pretty sure at that age he will have learnt a valuable lesson, and will hopefully not do anything like this ever again?

Given the context, this is the right thing to do. Racism is unacceptable in a tolerant society - and a tolerant society does not mark teenagers for life on the back of one episode of idiotic behaviour.

matty_f
26-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Given the context, this is the right thing to do. Racism is unacceptable in a tolerant society - and a tolerant society does not mark teenagers for life on the back of one episode of idiotic behaviour.

:agree: At 14 he should know better but a lifetime ban for something done at that age is too severe.

dangermouse
27-08-2012, 07:17 AM

I would like to think that if it had been my son, he would choose his friends a bit more carefully.
maybe the perpetrator should get to meet tade.
a seasons ban from the holy ground would probably do.
just my opinion however, and according to my wife's statistics, it doesn't count anyway.

ggtth

In the unlikely event the club don't ban him, his parents have. He will not be back at Easter Road this season.

Steve-O
27-08-2012, 08:46 AM
A lifetime ban would be completely and utterly ridiculous.

Phil D. Rolls
27-08-2012, 09:03 AM
In the unlikely event the club don't ban him, his parents have. He will not be back at Easter Road this season.

I think first and foremost, situations like this are best sorted out by parents. The shame he will feel at having let them down will be a greater punishment than any imposed from elsewhere.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2012, 10:08 AM
The 14 years old laddie will hopefully learn from this and move on with his life having learned a harsh lesson. I only hope that the stewards who pointed this out to the Police will react the same way next time when it's an adult(s) involved in the same type of behaviour.

machibby
27-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Seems to me you're still doing daft things, suggesting the stupid actions of a 14 year old should be judged equally to those of an adult is utterly ridiculous. The boy needs to know the seriousness of his actions and it sounds as if his parents are letting him know just that, but a life time ban that really would be daft.

--------
27-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Seems to me you're still doing daft things, suggesting the stupid actions of a 14 year old should be judged equally to those of an adult is utterly ridiculous. The boy needs to know the seriousness of his actions and it sounds as if his parents are letting him know just that, but a life time ban that really would be daft.

:agree: Between the reaction of his parents and the 'peer pressure' he'll be under from the four lads who were ejected with him (and who could still find themselves in trouble with the club) I would think he'll either learn his lesson very quickly.

If I'd got thrown out of ER as a teenager because one of the guys I was with had been misbehaving (and continuing to misbehave after we'd told him to stop), he'd have qualified for free access to watch games from the touchline for the rest of the season.

He'd have been in a wheelchair. :devil:

lucky
27-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Ricky Tomlinson was a member of the National Front when he was 16. He learnt these views were unacceptable and he moved on to have career as TU official then a successful actor. The point is at 14 its too early to cast this lad aside. He needs to learn from his mistake. I don't favour bans. It more important that he is educated on what is acceptable rather than ban him.

Lungo--Drom
27-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Section 8 or 9. Somewhere lower towards the pitch than row 'N' I reckon. I realised something was up from my eagle's nest in row 'U' away to the right of the trouble but I couldn't figure out what. Thought maybe someone was pishered and making a nuisance of themselves. I saw it happen twice; stewards then police but didn't realise that A) it was racism and B) it was so many racists. Were they all there and knew each other? I hope so otherwise it is even sadder that so many vocal racists randomly happened to be in the one bit of ER at the same time.

I hope the Club and L&B Police throw the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill right at these thugs :grr: The worrying thing about these kind of 'people' is that you wonder where they would draw the line. Obviously they are moronic enough to abuse someone because of the colour of the guys skin, but just makes me wonder if they couldn't find someone with a different skin colour what would they stoop to next? Many people don't know that before the Klu Klux Klan decided to harass, abuse and kill African-Americans a section of them originally set out to to harass, abuse and kill Roman Catholics.

I hope to god these 'people' never get to enter Easter Road again, they are not welcome. To those who were involved I say go and join the KKK and keep your sick thoughts out of Scottish football and out of Scotland :furious:

Lungo--Drom
27-08-2012, 11:10 AM
As someone who knows quite a few school teachers and have listened to their views over the years unfortunately a lot of the coming man that you can see in any particular young lad's behaviour has been learned from the parents :rolleyes:

I personally had the misfortune to work with a guy for 1½ years who was 'proudly' teaching his toddler kids to shout "ya filthy Fenian *****" and "dirty Taig *******s" at Celtic fans and indeed anyone they saw at any time in a Celtic top. I am not joking. This guy saw no wrong in what he was doing. Little surprise that his sister-in-law, mother-in-law and father-in-law featured prominently on the TV news coverage of the Huns rioting in Manchester :confused:

The parents of those involved on Saturday at ER might be shamed but they might also not be because there is a high chance that the lads involved were brought up to believe that such views were acceptable. The guy I worked with, if one of his kids ever gets brought to he door by the police for sectarianism or racism will probably congratulate the kid once the police are gone. I joke not. He once refused to get in a taxi at Glasgow Central station shouting at the driver "you will respect me ya ****in' P*ki *******!" all because he wanted to put his bag in the boot and said to the driver "open the ****in' boot" and the driver said "don't speak to me like that".

I am not hopeful that these lads are going to be 'corrected' and return to ER at some point as friends of the peoples of the world sadly :dunno:

I think first and foremost, situations like this are best sorted out by parents. The shame he will feel at having let them down will be a greater punishment than any imposed from elsewhere.

McIntosh
27-08-2012, 11:13 AM
I spoke to mygood lady, the women in the avatar about this issue. She was very shocked that this emanated from a Hibs supporter giving the club's wonderful tradition and history. She considered that this kind of nonsense should be nipped in the bud but that the boy should begiven a second chance after an appropriate punishment. She though it would not be fairthat he should suffer a life-time ban for a boyhood indiscretion. I personally would not ban him for the season but until Christmas, reflection and rehabilitation is the only best way to treat this young man.

As for the other boys caught up in this, it would not be fair for them to suffer in any way. I am sure that they will have already learned a valuable lesson from this event. Let us hope that some positive can be drawn from this sad event.

Keith_M
27-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I previously replied to the news that, if true, the perpetrators should be banned for life.

I made the assumption that it was adults involved so I should really have said, "if true and if they are adults". I agree with other posters that we shouldn't write off kids because of stupid views they hold in childhood/teenage years.

For instance, I used to think Status Quo were really cool but I don't think it would be fair to hold that against me as an adult :wink:

Jay
27-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I saw the group of boys before ko heading to their seat and have to say they came acrcoss (and always have) as a decent set of laddies. They always stop and have a banter with the laddie who has downs syndrome in the front row and left him yesterday with a hug or a high five.

One stupid mistake cant be punished for life. I am sure he will be devestated at his own stupidity. Hanging him out to dry wont make it better. His parents banning him from ER is the best thing that could happen.

Wee Delting
27-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I was sitting right behind the boys when it happened. I was absolutely disgusted. I have a ST and sit in the same place every week and had never seen these boys before. One of them (who got chucked out first) had started making very offensive noises towards Tade, after a brilliant tackle on him from McPake. This boy started the offensive chants, and was briefly accompanied in doing so from one of the other lads in a baseball hat. The rest of them were giggling. The boy I mentioned first, then stopped and looked around, looking slightly embarrassed, but that did not stop him as he did it another couple of times. He looked at me and I shook my head and gave them a very disgusted look.

I was on my way to the stewards when I saw the woman behind me inform them herself. Then the boy got escorted out. To which, I heard one of his pals ask how making a certain animal noise was racist (which I am not going to spell out). About 10 mins later, the rest of them were then chucked out.

Personally, I don't care if they were "only 14". I am only 21 and remember being that age, and I have never, ever uttered such nonsense as these boys did. At that age, you know the difference between right and wrong. And as someone posted earlier, we are told at school, by our parents, etc, that racism is WRONG and not condoned in any way, shape or form. These boy(s) knew exactly what they were doing and had a laugh in doing so.

patlowe
27-08-2012, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=EdinMike;3339789]What saddens me about this whole thing that no one has really touched on, is that Racism, in it's stupid and childish form still exists and apparently is being passed on to another generation... Sad really. [QUOTE]

Was about to post something very similar. Before making my wider point, I'd like to add that I distinctly remember making a racist comment to a black girl as an 11-year-old boy and, though it sounds small, I still think about how upset that person was and I regret it to this day. Hopefully the boy ejected on Saturday will learn from his mistake and realise how idiotic, pointless and hurtful racism is, in all forms.

However, there is an element of our support (and those of other clubs too I'm certain) that seem to think racism is fun and acceptable. The number of times I heard the 'Edinburgh is wonderful' song on cup final day really sickened me and made me question the affinity we'd all like to think we share as hibs fans. Can you imagine how horrendous and intimidating it would be to attend such a game as a hibs fan that happened to hail from a minority background? For me, that is so much more depressing than a game of football we happened to lose.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I was sitting right behind the boys when it happened. I was absolutely disgusted. I have a ST and sit in the same place every week and had never seen these boys before. One of them (who got chucked out first) had started making very offensive noises towards Tade, after a brilliant tackle on him from McPake. This boy started the offensive chants, and was briefly accompanied in doing so from one of the other lads in a baseball hat. The rest of them were giggling. The boy I mentioned first, then stopped and looked around, looking slightly embarrassed, but that did not stop him as he did it another couple of times. He looked at me and I shook my head and gave them a very disgusted look.

I was on my way to the stewards when I saw the woman behind me inform them herself. Then the boy got escorted out. To which, I heard one of his pals ask how making a certain animal noise was racist (which I am not going to spell out). About 10 mins later, the rest of them were then chucked out.

Personally, I don't care if they were "only 14". I am only 21 and remember being that age, and I have never, ever uttered such nonsense as these boys did. At that age, you know the difference between right and wrong. And as someone posted earlier, we are told at school, by our parents, etc, that racism is WRONG and not condoned in any way, shape or form. These boy(s) knew exactly what they were doing and had a laugh in doing so.

Interesting to hear your eye witness view of events rather than the version of the other boys! Hmmm or are you just mixing it?

Hibrandenburg
27-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I previously replied to the news that, if true, the perpetrators should be banned for life.

I made the assumption that it was adults involved so I should really have said, "if true and if they are adults". I agree with other posters that we shouldn't write off kids because of stupid views they hold in childhood/teenage years.

For instance, I used to think Status Quo were really cool but I don't think it would be fair to hold that against me as an adult :wink:

You'd better hope Johnny Baxter doesn't read this or you'll be in hot water :-)

Wee Delting
27-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Just typing exactly what I saw.

Scouse Hibee
27-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Just typing exactly what I saw.

Fair enough.

Wee Delting
27-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Why on earth would I be "mixing it" ? What would I have to gain from doing so? :confused:

Jay
27-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Why on earth would I be "mixing it" ? What would I have to gain from doing so? :confused:

Where I dont think you are 'mixing' it your posts would show how uncharacteristic this was of the boys as they sat there or there abouts last season, I saw them many a time, and you hadnt noticed them before.

Doesnt lessen this boys crime in anyway but does show that it wasnt something they did before.

EH6 Hibby
27-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Was about to post something very similar. Before making my wider point, I'd like to add that I distinctly remember making a racist comment to a black girl as an 11-year-old boy and, though it sounds small, I still think about how upset that person was and I regret it to this day. Hopefully the boy ejected on Saturday will learn from his mistake and realise how idiotic, pointless and hurtful racism is, in all forms.

However, there is an element of our support (and those of other clubs too I'm certain) that seem to think racism is fun and acceptable. The number of times I heard the 'Edinburgh is wonderful' song on cup final day really sickened me and made me question the affinity we'd all like to think we share as hibs fans. Can you imagine how horrendous and intimidating it would be to attend such a game as a hibs fan that happened to hail from a minority background? For me, that is so much more depressing than a game of football we happened to lose.

I keep hearing about this song being sung on a regular basis, I have been to every home game just about in the last 6 years and most of the cup games including the final, and I have never once heard this song being sung, is it the same group singing it and I've just never had the misfortune to be sat near them?

Pretty Boy
27-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I keep hearing about this song being sung on a regular basis, I have been to every home game just about in the last 6 years and most of the cup games including the final, and I have never once heard this song being sung, is it the same group singing it and I've just never had the misfortune to be sat near them?

I don't hear it in stadiums very often but it seems to be a regular favourite in streets and pubs around grounds. Thankfully last time I heard a few guys try to sing it in the Four In Hand it got shouted down very quickly by quite a large majority.

Completely ridiculous song on so many levels.

Wee Delting
27-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Where I dont think you are 'mixing' it your posts would show how uncharacteristic this was of the boys as they sat there or there abouts last season, I saw them many a time, and you hadnt noticed them before.

Doesnt lessen this boys crime in anyway but does show that it wasnt something they did before.

Perhaps. In my 4 or so years of being a ST holder, Id never seen these boys before, or if I had, they hadn't been in trouble before for me to notice them.

silverhibee
27-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't hear it in stadiums very often but it seems to be a regular favourite in streets and pubs around grounds. Thankfully last time I heard a few guys try to sing it in the Four In Hand it got shouted down very quickly by quite a large majority.

Completely ridiculous song on so many levels.

Am another one who has been to plenty home and away games over the years and never heard this song sung.

Phil MaGlass
27-08-2012, 01:38 PM
[Was about to post something very similar. Before making my wider point, I'd like to add that I distinctly remember making a racist comment to a black girl as an 11-year-old boy and, though it sounds small, I still think about how upset that person was and I regret it to this day. Hopefully the boy ejected on Saturday will learn from his mistake and realise how idiotic, pointless and hurtful racism is, in all forms.

However, there is an element of our support (and those of other clubs too I'm certain) that seem to think racism is fun and acceptable. The number of times I heard the 'Edinburgh is wonderful' song on cup final day really sickened me and made me question the affinity we'd all like to think we share as hibs fans. Can you imagine how horrendous and intimidating it would be to attend such a game as a hibs fan that happened to hail from a minority background? For me, that is so much more depressing than a game of football we happened to lose.[/QUOTE]

Im still amazed we haven atleast changed the words to hearts, huns and Trakys or something acceptable, if ´huns´ is acceptable?

neilmartinrocks
27-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Section 8 or 9. Somewhere lower towards the pitch than row 'N' I reckon. I realised something was up from my eagle's nest in row 'U' away to the right of the trouble but I couldn't figure out what. Thought maybe someone was pishered and making a nuisance of themselves. I saw it happen twice; stewards then police but didn't realise that A) it was racism and B) it was so many racists. Were they all there and knew each other? I hope so otherwise it is even sadder that so many vocal racists randomly happened to be in the one bit of ER at the same time.

I hope the Club and L&B Police throw the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill right at these thugs :grr: The worrying thing about these kind of 'people' is that you wonder where they would draw the line. Obviously they are moronic enough to abuse someone because of the colour of the guys skin, but just makes me wonder if they couldn't find someone with a different skin colour what would they stoop to next? Many people don't know that before the Klu Klux Klan decided to harass, abuse and kill African-Americans a section of them originally set out to to harass, abuse and kill Roman Catholics.

I hope to god these 'people' never get to enter Easter Road again, they are not welcome. To those who were involved I say go and join the KKK and keep your sick thoughts out of Scottish football and out of Scotland :furious:

Probably because they didn't. The KU klux klan was set up in 1860 with the aim of restoring white supremacy. Not untill 1920's did they become anti catholic, jewish etc.
In fact three of the six founding members were catholic/episcopalian.

Franck Stanton
27-08-2012, 02:24 PM

This. :top marks

dangermouse
27-08-2012, 02:32 PM

As someone who knows quite a few school teachers and have listened to their views over the years unfortunately a lot of the coming man that you can see in any particular young lad's behaviour has been learned from the parents :rolleyes:

I personally had the misfortune to work with a guy for 1½ years who was 'proudly' teaching his toddler kids to shout "ya filthy Fenian *****" and "dirty Taig *******s" at Celtic fans and indeed anyone they saw at any time in a Celtic top. I am not joking. This guy saw no wrong in what he was doing. Little surprise that his sister-in-law, mother-in-law and father-in-law featured prominently on the TV news coverage of the Huns rioting in Manchester :confused:

The parents of those involved on Saturday at ER might be shamed but they might also not be because there is a high chance that the lads involved were brought up to believe that such views were acceptable. The guy I worked with, if one of his kids ever gets brought to he door by the police for sectarianism or racism will probably congratulate the kid once the police are gone. I joke not. He once refused to get in a taxi at Glasgow Central station shouting at the driver "you will respect me ya ****in' P*ki *******!" all because he wanted to put his bag in the boot and said to the driver "open the ****in' boot" and the driver said "don't speak to me like that".

I am not hopeful that these lads are going to be 'corrected' and return to ER at some point as friends of the peoples of the world sadly :dunno:

It's easy to hide behind a keyboard and spout crap like this without bothering to read all of the thread otherwise you would have a better idea of what happened.

As a parent of one of the boys wrongly ejected from the ground I expect nothing less than a full retraction of your vitriolic comments aimed towards me and others whom you have never met.

Please take the time to review this whole thread before posting again.

Admins. I think this thread has run its course and politely request that it be locked down.

cocopops1875
27-08-2012, 02:55 PM
It's easy to hide behind a keyboard and spout crap like this without bothering to read all of the thread otherwise you would have a better idea of what happened.

As a parent of one of the boys wrongly ejected from the ground I expect nothing less than a full retraction of your vitriolic comments aimed towards me and others whom you have never met.

Please take the time to review this whole thread before posting again.

Admins. I think this thread has run its course and politely request that it be locked down.

weird you have not replied to Wee Delting who gives a direct account of what they saw, and only had a go at people with theories about the raising of kids

dangermouse
27-08-2012, 03:40 PM
weird you have not replied to Wee Delting who gives a direct account of what they saw, and only had a go at people with theories about the raising of kids

I have chosen not to reply to this yet until I have spoken to those involved to ascertain if Wee Delting's version of events bears any relation to what happened. Only one of the boys was reported to the stewards/police and the reason for the others being questioned is documented in my previous posts.

Wee Delting suggests more than one of the boys made the chants and describing some of his attire of the alleged culprit. The giggling I'm aware of but those involved differs from what I've been told happened both by those that were involved, the stewards and the police.

HNA2
27-08-2012, 04:05 PM
The matter is being dealt with by the club. I think its been debated enough on here.