PDA

View Full Version : Team Balance

andy1875
25-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Good signs that a solid spine of a team is starting to pay dividends, Williams, McPake, Deegan and
Griffiths all playing well again today. With the two experienced fullbacks, this will without doubt help the younger players in the side, Hanlon, Spoony, Caldwell etc.

For the first time in ages, the team looks well balanced and although we still have a lot more to do before we're labelled world beaters, how refreshing to be optimistic for a change!

Well done Pat Fenlon and the team so far, keep it up.

GGTTH

PeterboroHibee
25-08-2012, 05:12 PM
We do look like a proper team for a change, with a good mix of players and some stability. They seem to have the right character about them as well.

jonny
25-08-2012, 05:59 PM
2nd in the league tonight. Only 1 place from where we should be. Once we pump Celtic next week we'll be top.

:pfgwa

PISTOL1875
25-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Good signs that a solid spine of a team is starting to pay dividends, Williams, McPake, Deegan and
Griffiths all playing well again today. With the two experienced fullbacks, this will without doubt help the younger players in the side, Hanlon, Spoony, Caldwell etc.

For the first time in ages, the team looks well balanced and although we still have a lot more to do before we're labelled world beaters, how refreshing to be optimistic for a change!

GGTTH

You sure about that ?? In both FB and wide midfield position's , we have 4 right footed players and not 1 left footed player..

Golden Bear
25-08-2012, 06:03 PM
We've several leaders on the park now which is a very refreshing change.

We could do with signing a pacey wide player before the window shuts and I think we can look forward with some optimism.

andy1875
25-08-2012, 06:20 PM
You sure about that ?? In both FB and wide midfield position's , we have 4 right footed players and not 1 left footed player..

Maybury looks comfortable at left back and Cairney is showing signs of being a player although played at left mid he is right footed.

You proposing we drop them to make way for players that are left footed?

Gillyboy
25-08-2012, 06:44 PM
2nd in the league tonight. Only 1 place from where we should be. Once we pump Celtic next week we'll be top.

Let's keep it real ..stupid statements like yours just add to the pressure. One game at a time and it's where we end up at the end of the season ..still loads of work to be done to even achieve top 6.

S.sct
25-08-2012, 06:45 PM

Yip agree, theres also a reluctance to commit opposition players and make runs off them (referring to midfield). This may come as confidence grows.

Just Alf
25-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Yay! \o/

Watch out for those peeps that take stuff a tad too seriously though! :-)

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Let's keep it real ..stupid statements like yours just add to the pressure. One game at a time and it's where we end up at the end of the season ..still loads of work to be done to even achieve top 6.

You think he was being serious?

SouthMoroccoStu
25-08-2012, 07:04 PM
We actually have a solid/quality spine to our team.

Definitely a refreshing site. Compared to previous years......

Williams - constantly shouting instructions.

McPake - captain fantastic. Serious man-crush happening here.

Deegan - shouted/screamed at someone (can't remember who) at one point for a mis-placed pass (not even causing danger). And I was scared :wink:

Griffiths - Didn't stop and looked dangerous at all times.

Looking forward to the next game already......first time in a while.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Whoooooooosh.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 07:06 PM
We actually have a solid/quality spine to our team.

Definitely a refreshing site. Compared to previous years......

Williams - constantly shouting instructions.

McPake - captain fantastic.

Deegan - shouted/screamed at someone (can't remember who) at one piont for a mis-placed pass (not even causing danger). And I was scared :wink:

Griffiths - Didn't stop and looked dangerous at all times.

Looking forward to the next game already......first time in a while.

At the end of the game he came over to the west stand as we were leaving and the look on his face scared the brown stuff outa me :greengrin

jdships
25-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Just watched the game on BBC Alba.
The thing that pleased me today was not so much what we actually achieved but what we TRIED TO ACHIEVE .
Mistakes were made but throughout the ninety minutes the team was trying to play football. :thumbsup:
A great improvement on last year and as confidence grows so will there be less mistakes .
As another poster mentioned someone with pace and directness might not go amiss but as it stands we look a half decent side

:flag:

hibsfan7
25-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Are you all having a laugh after that game fenlon has to be sacked if we had won 6-0 we would be top of the league where we should be he has to go
only kidding we are getting there slow but sure
bring on the lesser greens next week
1-0 to the hibees lol

essexhibee
25-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Been really impressed with Cairney, looks a real find. Griffiths as always - Class. Defence is looking more solid most definitely.

Would love it if we could nab Forsyth also. Celtic will be a big ask :agree:

jonny
25-08-2012, 08:43 PM

:faf::faf::faf:

Oh man, some people.........

I won't be drawn into tit for tat but I do suggest that you straighten your square heed - if you can't recognise a glaringly obvious bit of light hearted banter then perhaps you should toddle off to keekback where Im told the conversation is much more mundane and serious.
:bye:

Alfred E Newman
25-08-2012, 08:51 PM
We are getting close to a balanced side but we desperately need a pacy winger.

andy1875
25-08-2012, 08:54 PM
We are getting close to a balanced side but we desperately need a pacy winger.

Yip a winger would be nice. I've actually enjoyed a few beers tonight watching Saturday night tv. Forgot what it felt like to enjoy a Saturday!:greengrin

Dibben
25-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Maybury looks comfortable at left back and Cairney is showing signs of being a player although played at left mid he is right footed.

You proposing we drop them to make way for players that are left footed?

I would have liked to have seen Spoony make way for Booth and Cairney move to RM, with Booth playing on the left.

Could have helped us have a bit more natural width!

SouthMoroccoStu
25-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I would have liked to have seen Spoony make way for Booth and Cairney move to RM, with Booth playing on the left.

Agree with that.

Sadly, Spoony didn't have good game today

andy1875
25-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Sounds a good shout however I doubt Fenlon will change a winning side and probably rightly so.

I have my opinions on Spoony like most other fans but for one weekend, I'm going to try an stay 100% positive. Hahaha

James70
25-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Watched the game on Alba and to be honest the 1st half play from Hibs was dire with little creativity or attacking play. However what was impressive was the performance of the back 4 and how they dealt with the physical SJ forwards. This game would have been lost by HT in the last couple of seasons.

I still feel we are being out muscled and outplayed in the midfield area but the 2nd half was a dramatic improvement.

Definitely a work in progress and well short of the standards of a few seasons ago but there is a great improvement in attitude and mental strength plus I think we have found a goalkeeper at long last!

Dibben
25-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I have my opinions on Spoony like most other fans but for one weekend, I'm going to try an stay 100% positive. Hahaha

:aok:

After the last 3 years... 3 points is the most important thing. Once we get used to that, maybe we can add a little flair!

:greengrin

S.sct
25-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Watched the game on Alba and to be honest the 1st half play from Hibs was dire with little creativity or attacking play. However what was impressive was the performance of the back 4 and how they dealt with the physical SJ forwards. This game would have been lost by HT in the last couple of seasons.

I still feel we are being out muscled and outplayed in the midfield area but the 2nd half was a dramatic improvement.

Definitely a work in progress and well short of the standards of a few seasons ago but there is a great improvement in attitude and mental strength plus I think we have found a goalkeeper at long last!

Agree, the midfield certainly requires further improvement.

Liberal Hibby
26-08-2012, 12:06 AM
I love the idea (in an ironic way) that signing 'a winger' would improve the team - in a thread titled 'team balance'...

I saw the whole game on Alba too - and our back five looked as solid as a rock.

St Johnston could have played for weeks and still not scored - although they had the better haircuts.

We're doing just fine I think - we won't beat Celtic at darkheid - but we rarely do - and we don't need to this season.

We have at least three seasons...

jamieross
26-08-2012, 12:49 AM
The one thing i noticed after watching the game on alba was that a winger or someone with pace/ability to beat a man would have been a bonus especially towards the end where they were tiring. There seemed to be plenty space behind their fbs that could have been taken advantage of. As a whole though, we look a much better side to that of last season. :agree:

Eaststand
26-08-2012, 04:36 PM

GGTTH

Spot on and I agree with your points 100%
Fenlon seems to be a really determined wee fella who knows what he needs to do and he's brought in players who look like they're not interested in being second best to anyone.
It's been a long time since I've felt optimistic about oor team, and although it's still early days with these new signings, the feelgood factor is back and it's good to look forward to going to ER again eh :wink:

GGTTH

number9dream
26-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Back five looked very solid as a defensive unit, although neither full-back gets forward very often.
Deegan & Claros came on to a game in the second half after sleepwalking through the first 45 mins.
Cairney looks good but he and Wotherspoon are always itching to come inside and, with Maybury & Clancy reluctant to cross the halfway line, width remains an issue.
Griffiths is a handful and looks a bit quicker than he did last season.
Like many other posters, I would like to see Booth get a chance wide on the left but just don't think that is going to happen.
The graft is there, which is a massive step in the right direction, but we could use some more pace and poise in the final third.
I certainly would not advocate changing a winning team, although it would be nice to see Booth, Stanton and Kuqi get some decent game time at Palmerston.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Back five looked very solid as a defensive unit, although neither full-back gets forward very often.
Deegan & Claros came on to a game in the second half after sleepwalking through the first 45 mins.
Cairney looks good but he and Wotherspoon are always itching to come inside and, with Maybury & Clancy reluctant to cross the halfway line, width remains an issue.
Griffiths is a handful and looks a bit quicker than he did last season.
Like many other posters, I would like to see Booth get a chance wide on the left but just don't think that is going to happen.
The graft is there, which is a massive step in the right direction, but we could use some more pace and poise in the final third.
I certainly would not advocate changing a winning team, although it would be nice to see Booth, Stanton and Kuqi get some decent game time at Palmerston.

:agree: A couple of good wide players are required in my opinion, with Deegan and Cairney i think that would give us a good midfield unit.

Saying that, they'd have to be the right players, players with a wee bit of pace and an eye for a pass.

We dont appear to have anyone in the squad like that at the moment, although i admit i have not seen much of the kids.