PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings

QMU-1875
25-08-2012, 04:29 PM
After a shaky first 30 minutes I thought hibs looked brilliant. Its clear that we are a far harder team to beat, this time last season i would of feared for the worse but each and every player stood up and was counted, the second half was great to watch with some great passages of play.

Williams - 8 - great save from mcpakes mistake, looks solid and a great signing!

Maybury - 7 - solid enough, think we have signed someone who brings a bit more confidence to those around him.
Mcpake - 9 - brilliant today, its exactly what we have been needing!
Hanlon - 8 - looks much more composed next to Mcpake
Clancy - 8 - solid, great defending and some great passes.

Cairney - 8 - everywhere today, puts the effort in and brings out the best in claros.
Claros - 9 - where did that performance come from? great today and hopefully we see more of this MOM imo
Deegan - 7 - great tackles and a real hard man but was caught in possesion a few times!
Wotherspoon - 6 - being a bit generous, not convinced but he did have his moments!

Griffiths - 8 - played well again and looks like a promising season is coming up
Doyle - 8 - same as griffiths, took his goal well also.

All in all a great performance, shaky at the start but a great finish, hopefully a far more enjoyable season coming up! GGTTH :pfgwa

PeeJay
25-08-2012, 04:39 PM
After a shaky first 30 minutes I thought hibs looked brilliant. Its clear that we are a far harder team to beat, this time last season i would of feared for the worse but each and every player stood up and was counted, the second half was great to watch with some great passages of play.

Williams - 8 - great save from mcpakes mistake, looks solid and a great signing!

Maybury - 7 - solid enough, think we have signed someone who brings a bit more confidence to those around him.
Mcpake - 9 - brilliant today, its exactly what we have been needing!
Hanlon - 8 - looks much more composed next to Mcpake
Clancy - 8 - solid, great defending and some great passes.

Cairney - 8 - everywhere today, puts the effort in and brings out the best in claros.
Claros - 9 - where did that performance come from? great today and hopefully we see more of this MOM imo
Deegan - 7 - great tackles and a real hard man but was caught in possesion a few times!
Wotherspoon - 6 - being a bit generous, not convinced but he did have his moments!

Griffiths - 8 - played well again and looks like a promising season is coming up
Doyle - 8 - same as griffiths, took his goal well also.

All in all a great performance, shaky at the start but a great finish, hopefully a far more enjoyable season coming up! GGTTH :pfgwa

It's a great feeling when we win I know, but do you not think we really need to play a great deal better as a team and individually for any players to merit a 9 or all the 8s you have dished out. I would place the overall performance at around about 6 ... I agree generally with your assessment, but the ratings are too high IMO..

Hiber-nation
25-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Think the OP is being a bit generous..I thought Clancy and Maybury were poor in the 1st half and the midfield were really sluggish. Much better in 2nd half though.

Williams 8
Clancy 6
McPake 8
Hanlon 8
Maybury 6
Spoony 6
Claros 7
Deegan 6
Cairney 7
Sparky 8
Doyle 6

patch1875
25-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Agree claros was my m of the m

NorthNorfolkHFC
25-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Did the monster get on?

QMU-1875
25-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Agree claros was my m of the m

Claros was outstanding. Breaking up play and keeping things simple. Run the show in the centre of the park 2nd half.

SheriffLobo
25-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Williams - 8 - great save from mcpakes mistake, looks solid and a good handling today. Also reckon with no pressure he could score from a kick...

Maybury - 7 - solid enough, think we have signed someone who brings a bit more confidence to those around him. AGREED
Mcpake - 9 - brilliant today, I love James.
Hanlon - 8 - faultless today
Clancy - 8 - solid, could we have a good back 5 now, surely not.

Cairney - 8 - started slow but play wasn't on his side great 2nd half and very composed in final third. Good performance.
Claros - 7 - where did that performance come from in the 2nd half? Was very wasteful 1st.
Deegan - 7 - great tackles and a real hard man but was caught in possesion a few times! AGREED...but love how he winds folk up and likes to slow it down.
Wotherspoon - 5 - so many good touches in his locker but so wasteful.

Griffiths - 8 - played well again and looks like a promising season is coming up. Ran his butt off
Doyle - 8 - some good movement, LG should have played him in again later but it definitely starting to work. Did keeper not save the initial shot? looked like a stunning save from my seat but good following up.

Much improved. 2 games at home and twice I have felt the need to stand after the whistle to clap the players off. One more win and we equal last season.......

Hibby Bairn
25-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Let's not delude ourselves. That was murder.

Clancy, Maybury, Deegan, Wotherspoon and Doyle were worth less than 5 out of 10.

Keeper did well and McPake and Hanlon did OK. Cairney was average. Griffiths and Claros worthy of probably a 7.

How we won that game today I will never know.

hibee_girl
25-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Williams 7 - great to keep a clean sheet but his kicking was awful

Clancy 6 - thought he had a quiet game
McPake 9 - outstanding today, he'll score soon, he came close 3 times today
Hanlon 8 - made some great tackles and great to get on the scoresheet
Maybury 7 - no major mistakes, solid enough

Wotherspoon 6 - again the weakest player imo
Cairney 6 - loads of effort but not a lot came off for him today
Deegan 6 - same as Cairney
Claros 8 - our best midfielder by far today

Griffiths 7 - some great play today
Doyle 8 - really like Doyle, he's such an intelligent player, he had another good game today and was rewarded with a goal.

Hiber-nation
25-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Clancy, Maybury, Deegan, Wotherspoon and Doyle were worth less than 5 out of 10.

Keeper did well and McPake and Hanlon did OK. Cairney was average. Griffiths and Claros worthy of probably a 7.

Aye well the 7 shots we had on target to their 4 certainly helped....:confused:

calumhibee1
25-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Williams - 8

Clancy - 6
McPake - 8
Hanlon - 8
Maybury - 7

Spoony - 6
Deegan - 6
Claros - 8 MOM
Cairney - 7

Doyle - 7
Sparky - 6

Skol
25-08-2012, 04:58 PM
The group in front of me had Claros down as a boo boy

J-C
25-08-2012, 04:59 PM

Deary deary me :rolleyes::dunno:

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Tory hibby, your a cheery guy aint u?? Regardless of performance, we have back to back wins, 3 games unbeaten and look difficult to beat. More than most of us hoped for 3 wks ago...

patch1875
25-08-2012, 05:01 PM

That's the sign of a decent team getting a result whilst not playing perticulary well

Northernhibee
25-08-2012, 05:01 PM

There's always one.

bingo70
25-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Didn't think claros was bad but he never stood out to me as being particularly good, never really noticed him that much.

Maybe just shows how much I pay attention though.

McKenzie
25-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Williams 7
Clancy 6
Mcpake 7
Hanlon 8
Maybury 6
Wotherspoon 6
Deegan 7
Claros 7.5
Cairney 7
Griffiths 7
Doyle 8

Sudds_1
25-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Williams 7 - great to keep a clean sheet but his kicking was awful

Clancy 6 - thought he had a quiet game
McPake 9 - outstanding today, he'll score soon, he came close 3 times today
Hanlon 8 - made some great tackles and great to get on the scoresheet
Maybury 7 - no major mistakes, solid enough

Wotherspoon 6 - again the weakest player imo
Cairney 6 - loads of effort but not a lot came off for him today
Deegan 6 - same as Cairney
Claros 8 - our best midfielder by far today

Griffiths 7 - some great play today
Doyle 8 - really like Doyle, he's such an intelligent player, he had another good game today and was rewarded with a goal.

Agree with all of that bar Doyle.......I thought overall he was murder today, bar a few good touches, mostly I thought he looked ponderous slow and not really switched on to the breaks as they developed.

Opinions eh?

Macaroon
25-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Williams - 9 - Fantastic save 1-on-1 with Tade. Great communication. Made a good job of some tricky bouncing shots. Great performance

Clancy - 7 - Not amazing, couple of scary moments but overall a solid performance
McPake - 7 - Not MOTM for me. Made a couple of bad errors and was bailed out by Williams. Still making crucial tackles and headers though and was solid all round.
Hanlon - 10 - Really isn't anything more he could have done. I was watching him closely for the whole game and didn't put a single foot wrong. Won everything he was asked to. MOTM by a country mile.
Maybury - 7 - Nothing great, nothing bad. Reliable and sturdy.

Wotherspoon - 5.5 - Poor from him. Couple of decent corners but apart from that was poor at distribution and continuously left his man in acres of space when defending.
Deegan - 8 - Absolute stormer from him. Great bite and determination in the middle and sold Saints players with cheeky turns constantly. Fantastic pass through to Leigh for the 2nd.
Claros - 7.5 - Not as good as Deegan but a solid performance and was very consistant.
Cairney - 8 - Never does the spectacular but he is very efficient. Was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

Griffiths - 9 - Once again was a constant thorn in the Saints' side. Tencious running and very quick feet. 2 Assists and another great performance.
Doyle - 8 - Far better than last season. Has tricky footwork and did well to get a goal. (Although he should have scored it first time :greengrin)

Great display Hibs. Onwards and upwards!!

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

Edit: If you want ratings for the first half, deduct two points from everyone :greengrin

QMU-1875
25-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Yea i think on reflection i was being a bit generous, was just buzzing after a good win! Been a long time since ive came away from easter road with a sense of optimism, think that shows in the original post! Either way delighted with the three points and hopefully we can keep this going! :aok:

Hibby Bairn
25-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Didn't say I wasn't happy with the win. Of course I am.

Just saying that before we start chucking "9s" and "8s" and "brilliant" and "great" about we take a reality check. Someone even had Deegan down as having a "stormer".

I had a sore neck at HT from looking the one way all the time. We were not good.

Macaroon
25-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Just saying that before we start chucking "9s" and "8s" and "brilliant" and "great" about we take a reality check. Someone even had Deegan down as having a "stormer".

I had a sore neck at HT from looking the one way all the time. We were not good.

Perhaps the first half, yes. But the second half was utterly different. We dominated and played very well. If you were expecting us to do better than a 2-0 home win against St.Johnstone then I believe it is you who is due a reality check.

Northernhibee
25-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Doyle was far better than you rated.

Some people are always looking to knock our players. It's pathetic. Enjoy the win and give credit where it's due.

Golden Bear
25-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Aw cheer up!

For a change let's just concentrate on the positives and banish the negatives.

We played very well in the second half, the team are at last playing with a bit of pride and the vast majority of us left the ground in an upbeat mood.

Not a bad day I would say.

:scarf:

Kris1875
25-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Delighted with another 3 points , the performance was definitely nowt to sing about but just as no one was exceptional, nobody was utter gash either . Let's get points on the board get the confidence up then we can worry about the performances .

lucky
25-08-2012, 06:15 PM
St Johnstone bossed the midfield for the first 40 minutes but never really created anything in the box. But overall Hibs were worth the points.

Williams 8 great save from Tade after howler from McPake

Clancy 6 steady, never really got forward
McPake 7 won everything in the air and a great tackle but 1 horror moment
Hanlon 9 best game for Hibs. Scored and won everything all day
Maybury 6 steady but again never got forward

Spoony 6 flirted in and out the game but getting better
Deegan 5 thought he was poor today but kept trying
Claros 7 best of our poor midfield won a few tackles but still not the answer in the middle of the park
Cairney 6 tried liked hell but no real end product today

Griffiths 7 worked hard but tried to much fancy stuffed at times
Doyle 8 fantastic energy and deserved his goal. Continues to improve

Subs both on at the death so had to impact on game.

Pat Fenlon 7 good 3 points but should have made the changes sooner.

Support 6 quiet today and good do more to help the team.

Hibercelona
25-08-2012, 06:22 PM

You're a Tory, you don't know sense. :agree:

Lago
25-08-2012, 06:23 PM

I guess from your point of view it was a game of 1 half & home you went at half time.

Aldo
25-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Good TEAM performance. Anyone that's no happy and thinks its murder needs their heid examined.

I mentioned this pre season

Yes we all want to see fast flowing football, playing and passing well and in the process scoring goals however 3 points couple of goals and a clean sheet will do me everyday of the week.

At the mo first and foremost. Hard to beat and take it from there. What are we wanting great football and no points.

Today was a hard working TEAM effort that got us 3 points. That'll do for me.

Mon Dieu4
25-08-2012, 06:33 PM
To be honest, glad with the win but nothing spectacular happened so every one gets a 6 or 7, good result and i enjoyed it but room for improvement

scoopyboy
25-08-2012, 06:34 PM
I thought the team dug in well today despite an awful first half.

Thing that amazes me is that James McPake could score 10 own goals and many on here would still name him MOTM.

He is great for us but he makes mistakes and gets away with whereas others would be crucified if they done the same.

#FromTheCapital
25-08-2012, 06:36 PM
You're a Tory, you don't know sense. :agree:

Agreement - 10

Aldo
25-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I thought the team dug in well today despite an awful first half.

Thing that amazes me is that James McPake could score 10 own goals and many on here would still name him MOTM.

He is great for us but he makes mistakes and gets away with whereas others would be crucified if they done the same.

Agreed. Watching it on Telly and for me it's either Claros, Doyle or Griffiths for MOM.

Northernhibee
25-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Agreed. Watching it on Telly and for me it's either Claros, Doyle or Griffiths for MOM.

I'd say Hanlon.

Just Alf
25-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Was in the FF so didnt have the sore neck Tory mentions after the 1st half!

For me the plus is that we were mediocre in the 1st half but didn't lose any goals then improved the 2nd to build on our goals each side of half time, leaving us fairly comfortable in the end.

Last season that 1st half would have lost us the game.

Still work to do but the positive signs are there and I'm glad I spent my money to go see the game.

Onwards and upwards!

sparkiedelpaco7
25-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Player Ratings

We started really slowly and were lucky to be 1up at the half, with McPake and Williams coming to the Rescue on multiple occasions.

However, We were the dominant team in the second half and more than deserved our victory.

Williams - 8

Clancy - 7
McPake - 9
Hanlon - 7
Maybury - 6

Wotherspoon - 6
Deegan - 7
Claros - 7
Cairney - 8

Doyle - 7
Griffiths - 7

SMAXXA
25-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I'd say Hanlon.

I'd say that's a fair shout, I've been critical on him many times before but he was great today so well played. Thing degan had a good game also close between them and mcpake for $e, despite his howler when tade was through.

Maybury did well and agree with another poster he's the fullback we have been crying out for for years, clancy also but he has his moments where he's less solid for me.

Strikers did well, claros had a better second half and wait for it, its becoming my weekly trait but wotherspoon was poor again. For a winger he keeps cutting inside and narrowing the space for clancy. What happened to wingers that can hug the touchline and go beat people, we don't have them it seems.

Last point which was funny as **** was when caldwell turned himself inside out then fell over the ball haha even fenlon was laughing ha

Great win though well done the boys

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I know this is a player ratings thread but it has a few who play the 'don't get too excited, we were pretty poor' card. When we lost at Tannadice it was suicide watch on here. We played HoMoFC and should have beat them but apparently a draw wasn't enough to raise the spirits. We went to Paisley and won but seemingly we were lucky. We beat St Johnstone but again we shouldn't get too excited.

Can anyone tell me when it is permissible to enjoy winning or playing well and drawing? Or better still, if we win a few more will we still be considered lucky and warned not to get carried away?

FWIW I thought Doyle was excellent today as was Claros and Hanlon but I accept others may have a different view. :wink:

Ricky Bobby
25-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Although we had a poor start to the game,I put that down to the way St Johnstone were looking to play the game. They missed out the midfield for most of the first half,just trying to play in Tade.
Vast improvement second half, MOTM for me was Hanlon. Very good performances from Mcpake,Claros and Williams.
All in all things looking up.:aok:

Franck Stanton
25-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Wee bit of thread here [apologies in advance]. When I got back from game watched it again on BBC Alba. When the presentation for MoM was made by Hanlon to McPake. Hanlon said " Who picked that" to McPake. Must have thought he was off mike. [or trying to wind McPake up]

The Voice Of Reason
25-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Williams - 8 - good game
Clancy - 6.5 - solid enough
Hanlon - 8.5 - MOTM
McPake - 7 - solid enough
Maybury - 6.5 - solid enough
Claros - 8 - good game
Deegan - 7 - worked hard and always wanted the ball
Cairney - 7 - worked hard and always wanted the ball, should have scored
Wotherspoon - 4 - weakest link by a mile, can someone please tell me what he offers ?!?
Doyle - 7.5 decent
Griffiths - 8 - decent

JimBHibees
25-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Wee bit of thread here [apologies in advance]. When I got back from game watched it again on BBC Alba. When the presentation for MoM was made by Hanlon to McPake. Hanlon said " Who picked that" to McPake. Must have thought he was off mike. [or trying to wind McPake up]

It was actually James himself that said that, obviously a little surprised he got it especially given the howling mistake he had in the second half.

JimBHibees
25-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I know this is a player ratings thread but it has a few who play the 'don't get too excited, we were pretty poor' card. When we lost at Tannadice it was suicide watch on here. We played HoMoFC and should have beat them but apparently a draw wasn't enough to raise the spirits. We went to Paisley and won but seemingly we were lucky. We beat St Johnstone but again we shouldn't get too excited.

Can anyone tell me when it is permissible to enjoy winning or playing well and drawing? Or better still, if we win a few more will we still be considered lucky and warned not to get carried away?

FWIW I thought Doyle was excellent today as was Claros and Hanlon but I accept others may have a different view. :wink:

Completely agree we are slowly getting better and while we were poor in the first half Saints didnt really create much due to our defending. Agree about Doyle he is a very intelligent player if he had another yard of pace he would be a star.

So many times I have come out of ER miserable today was different and a win makes all the difference. We need a couple more players IMO however we are going in the right direction.

hibsbollah
25-08-2012, 07:49 PM
With the exception of a 10 minute spell in the middle of the first half, id say we were as bad in that first 45 as we were at Tannadice. Then Hanlon popped up with the goal, and the second half was just so much better. A strange day; our two best players were overshadowed by their less-celebrated sidekicks...

Williams 7

Maybury 5
Hanlon 9 Totally commanding at the back.
McPake 6 Tade gave him some trouble. Battled away.
Clancy 5

Cairney 7 Really impressed today. His possession and link up play were excellent. If he adds his Partick Thistle goals to his current game he'll be some player.
Claros 7 Far better than last week.
Deegan 7
Wotherspoon 4 Unfortunately, reverted to type after two good recent performances. Slack passing and as stupid a booking as you'll see.

Doyle 8 Superb.
Griffiths 7 Even when things dont work out for him he always looks dangerous.

SteveHFC
25-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Williams - 8/10

Clancy - :agree:
McPake - :love ya!:
Hanlon -:top marks
Maybury - :agree:

Cairney - :thumbsup:
Claros - :thumbsup:
Deegan - :thumbsup:
Wotherspoon - :thumbsup:

Doyle - :cb
Griffiths - :love ya!:

sundo1875
25-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Williams - 8
Clancy - 6
Mcpake - 7
Hanlon - 8
Maybury - 6
Wotherspoon - 6
Claros - 8
Deegan - 8
Cairney - 9 MOTM
Doyle - 7
Griffiths - 8

inglisavhibs
25-08-2012, 08:22 PM
With the exception of a 10 minute spell in the middle of the first half, id say we were as bad in that first 45 as we were at Tannadice. Then Hanlon popped up with the goal, and the second half was just so much better. A strange day; our two best players were overshadowed by their less-celebrated sidekicks...

Williams 7

Maybury 5
Clancy 5

Cairney 7 Really impressed today. His possession and link up play were excellent. If he adds his Partick Thistle goals to his current game he'll be some player.
Deegan 7
Wotherspoon 4 Unfortunately, reverted to type after two good recent performances. Slack passing and as stupid a booking as you'll see.

Doyle 8 Superb.
Good post, Hanlon really was excellent today and if it wasn't for him and McPake in the first half we would have been dead and buried. Murray Davidson completely dominated the midfield in that first half and we should make an effort to sign him when his contract ends. The second half was a bit better but there is still huge room for improvement and if Tade had scored with the gift from McPake the result might have been different. I don't think Maybury is a long term solution at left back, his legs look gone to me and he can't get forward at all continually slowing pay down and cutting back on to his right foot. Although Doyle did better today I don't think he is the answer up front, lacks pace and strength. Overall the team is a bit better though and Cairney could be a really good player for us.

Brightside
25-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Williams - 9 - Fantastic save 1-on-1 with Tade. Great communication. Made a good job of some tricky bouncing shots. Great performance

Clancy - 7 - Not amazing, couple of scary moments but overall a solid performance
McPake - 7 - Not MOTM for me. Made a couple of bad errors and was bailed out by Williams. Still making crucial tackles and headers though and was solid all round.
Hanlon - 10 - Really isn't anything more he could have done. I was watching him closely for the whole game and didn't put a single foot wrong. Won everything he was asked to. MOTM by a country mile.
Maybury - 7 - Nothing great, nothing bad. Reliable and sturdy.

Wotherspoon - 5.5 - Poor from him. Couple of decent corners but apart from that was poor at distribution and continuously left his man in acres of space when defending.
Deegan - 8 - Absolute stormer from him. Great bite and determination in the middle and sold Saints players with cheeky turns constantly. Fantastic pass through to Leigh for the 2nd.
Claros - 7.5 - Not as good as Deegan but a solid performance and was very consistant.
Cairney - 8 - Never does the spectacular but he is very efficient. Was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

Griffiths - 9 - Once again was a constant thorn in the Saints' side. Tencious running and very quick feet. 2 Assists and another great performance.
Doyle - 8 - Far better than last season. Has tricky footwork and did well to get a goal. (Although he should have scored it first time :greengrin)

Great display Hibs. Onwards and upwards!!

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

Edit: If you want ratings for the first half, deduct two points from everyone :greengrin

This

Hanlon was almost perfect today. Cannot believe people wanted rid of him. Will be the next million pound player to leave hibs.

lord bunberry
25-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Claros was great today never mised a pass he was outstanding

Albion Hibs
25-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Williams 7

Maybury 5
Clancy 5

Deegan 7

Doyle 8 Superb.

I would agree with the above.

I think the biggest positive is for the last few years we have played better and lost, we have played the same and been gubbed, but i cant think of many games we have played like that, taken all three points and kept a clean sheet. In addition rather than being the team that lets one in just before half time and then within 15 mins of the second half it was us that was scoring. All very positive.

I know in an ideal world we would play like bara, but lets honest i would happily play like that every week if we finished the game taking 3 points, no issues with winning ugly.

ekhibee
25-08-2012, 10:09 PM

Good, cos I do. The only one of the 3 players u mentioned that I thought played particularly well was Hanlon, in fact it was as good a performance as I've ever seen him play for us.
Doyle is still far too easily pushed off the ball, he looks weak at times, although I would really love him to do well, cos there is definite ability there, but unlike many people on here I didn't think he was excellent or great, he did ok.
Claros didn't impress me today, he was marginally better in the 2nd half, but that wouldn't have been hard as we were awful in the 1st half.

And also unlike a lot of others on here, despite at least 1 mistake, IMO McPake stood head and shoulders above any other player in the team today. Without him we'd be lost in central defence. I don't go overboard about the players we have at the moment, some of them are ok, some of them poor, but McPake is a class apart. I do also have a bit of sympathy for Griffiths, who for long periods of the game had to come back to midfield to get the ball, as he certainly wasn't receiving it much at all. Excellent to get 3 points, I'll take any kind of win at any time for my team, and we look to be a bit more comfortable as a team now, with a better understanding of each others weak and strong points.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Good, cos I do. The only one of the 3 players u mentioned that I thought played particularly well was Hanlon, in fact it was as good a performance as I've ever seen him play for us.
Doyle is still far too easily pushed off the ball, he looks weak at times, although I would really love him to do well, cos there is definite ability there, but unlike many people on here I didn't think he was excellent or great, he did ok.
Claros didn't impress me today, he was marginally better in the 2nd half, but that wouldn't have been hard as we were awful in the 1st half.

And also unlike a lot of others on here, despite at least 1 mistake, IMO McPake stood head and shoulders above any other player in the team today. Without him we'd be lost in central defence. I don't go overboard about the players we have at the moment, some of them are ok, some of them poor, but McPake is a class apart. I do also have a bit of sympathy for Griffiths, who for long periods of the game had to come back to midfield to get the ball, as he certainly wasn't receiving it much at all. Excellent to get 3 points, I'll take any kind of win at any time for my team, and we look to be a bit more comfortable as a team now, with a better understanding of each others weak and strong points.

Ah, opinions, opinions :wink:

Onceinawhile
25-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Williams - decent. Few heart in mouths, pretty poor kicking.

Maybury. Alright, not spectacular.
Hamlin - goal and clean sheet didn't seem to get caught out of position.
Mcpake - some brilliant last minute blocks, mostly due to poor positioning from himself.
Clancy - solid but minging going forwards.

Cairney - some nice touches, unlucky with his lob, but seems slow.
Deegan - gave the ball away a lot.
Claros. Poor first half hour, don't rhino he gave it away the rest of the game. Nothing special but kept the ball.
Spoony - meh

Doyle - good goal, decent movement, I like this guy.
Griffiths - probably our most important player this season

jabis
25-08-2012, 10:47 PM

top of the league though .

Borderhibbie76
25-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Been to last 3 matches and cant believe the hard time claros is still getting from some fans!! Just my opinion but is a far better player than Stevenson I believe and he has played a big part in the improvement of last 3 weeks.
Also loved James mcpakes comments post match, the guy oozes class and passion.for hibs!! Got serious man love for him, best skipper since le god!!

Fergus52
25-08-2012, 11:09 PM

Ahahaha. Good to know you're as stupid footballing wise as you are politically

Steviethebear
25-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah, poor first half but come on what an improvement to last season, win ugly ain't that bad GGTTH!

500miles
26-08-2012, 07:10 AM
St. Johnstone came difficult to beat, having learned from a few mistakes earlier in the season. Tade is no great goalscorer, but with his stregnth and pace, is a formidable competator, who will chip in with 10ish goal a season, and create space for others. We struggled to contain him for the first 20 minutes, after which, was sort of a stalemate until we scored just before half time. I wouldn't say our goal came against the run of play, but we hadn't dominated - St. J's simply blinked first, and that's a positive reflection on our attitude and commitment.

Second half, we were clearly the dominant team, until we got our two goal cushion, and the onus fell on them to throw everything forward - even then we made some real good chances.

For me Williams and Hanlon were our best men in defence. Cairney was tenacious in persuit, and energetic in attack, while Deegan took some of the nastiest tackles of the day without reacting, won plenty of the ball, although his distribution has been better, certainly put in a praiseworthy performance. Claros worked hard, but I still feel that Lewis gives us more in terms of midfield balance - the ball sticks in midfield when he has it, and there were a number of times we should have been playing a bit more keep-ball to allow Cairney and Wotherspoon to get in between the St J midfield and defence.

Up front, Leigh and Eoin seem to be building a cracking understanding, allied to excellent running and high energy levels. Kuqi might find oppertunities more difficult to come by than we thought - although, perhaps when we find the midfield turns into a stalemate, we can bring him on with the energy of Doyle and Griffiths either side, and go 4-3-3.

Kris1875
26-08-2012, 08:36 AM
St. Johnstone came difficult to beat, having learned from a few mistakes earlier in the season. Tade is no great goalscorer, but with his stregnth and pace, is a formidable competator, who will chip in with 10ish goal a season, and create space for others. We struggled to contain him for the first 20 minutes, after which, was sort of a stalemate until we scored just before half time. I wouldn't say our goal came against the run of play, but we hadn't dominated - St. J's simply blinked first, and that's a positive reflection on our attitude and commitment.

Second half, we were clearly the dominant team, until we got our two goal cushion, and the onus fell on them to throw everything forward - even then we made some real good chances.

For me Williams and Hanlon were our best men in defence. Cairney was tenacious in persuit, and energetic in attack, while Deegan took some of the nastiest tackles of the day without reacting, won plenty of the ball, although his distribution has been better, certainly put in a praiseworthy performance. Claros worked hard, but I still feel that Lewis gives us more in terms of midfield balance - the ball sticks in midfield when he has it, and there were a number of times we should have been playing a bit more keep-ball to allow Cairney and Wotherspoon to get in between the St J midfield and defence.

Up front, Leigh and Eoin seem to be building a cracking understanding, allied to excellent running and high energy levels. Kuqi might find oppertunities more difficult to come by than we thought - although, perhaps when we find the midfield turns into a stalemate, we can bring him on with the energy of Doyle and Griffiths either side, and go 4-3-3.

My thoughts exactly !!

LeighLoyal
26-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Put Doyle on the right for Spoon and get Kuqi up front for Parkhead. Worth a try rather than the usual meek defeats there we've seen of late.

Dashing Bob S
26-08-2012, 08:51 AM
We've so poor and so devoid of any fight and inspiration for so long, that in Hibs terms, the modest improvements we've made to get ourselves back into the mix of mediocrity that is the mainstream SPL seem pretty momentous. And they are, given how awful we've been for three to four years. But all we've done is arrested on of the most steady declines in the modern history of the Scottish game. We should be happy for that, but I don't think that anybody is kidding themselves -Fenlon least of all- about the work ahead.

marti1875
26-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, i couldn't make the game yesterday due to unforeseen circumstances so came on here to get a feel as to how the game went and how we played.....and i'm more confused than i was before! :greengrin

Some completely contradicting/opposite views not only on individuals but also the overall performance, think i'll just look at the result in future if i can't make the game and not bother reading up on it...:greengrin

Golden Bear
26-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Well, i couldn't make the game yesterday due to unforeseen circumstances so came on here to get a feel as to how the game went and how we played.....and i'm more confused than i was before! :greengrin

Some completely contradicting/opposite views not only on individuals but also the overall performance, think i'll just look at the result in future if i can't make the game and not bother reading up on it...:greengrin

It definitely was a game of two halves hence the diverse opinions.