PDA

View Full Version : Players Hibs have released who have gone on to greater things

horseflesh
24-08-2012, 08:18 AM
A lot of discussion on here re Vaz Te and how he looks a million miles from the lazy git he was at ER but overall I think Hibs rarely get it wrong when it comes to releasing players - maybe a warning to the young lads to screw the nut because the odds are against you making a good living from the game if you get punted by us!
Off the top of my head (and these are up for debate!)

Vaz Te
Shelton Martis
John Rankin (highly contentious)
Any more?

sambajustice
24-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Latapy.

Dobbie & Hartley

We didnt release those two but they were deemed not good enough!

Sauzee was released too early too but didnt go onto anything else!

horseflesh
24-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Dobbie and Hartley - yeah definitely, Hartley in particular but that was only because someone gave him a bash in the centre of the park, he was never gonna be a winger like we tried to play him

Also Craig Brewster was punted too early but he never went on to better teams

Viva_Palmeiras
24-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Happy days eh :)

Wouldn't a more positive debate be on who out the current bunch we expect to go on to better things? (then again .... ;) )

Jim44
24-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Osbourne.... Potentially

horseflesh
24-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Osbourne.... Potentially

Your right Jim theres been a few who i think we would have kept but the cash/deal was good for us at the time. Dean Shiels and Paul Wright would be in that category

hibbyboy1
24-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Gordon Strachan

Future17
24-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Leigh Griffiths. :-)

Gmack7
24-08-2012, 09:38 AM
nish

Pretty Boy
24-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Does Hartley really count as having gone on to greater things.

He undoubtedly improved after leaving Hibs but still at SPL level for the most part.

Surely going on to greater things is a player who really kicks on and goes on to play at a higher level, someone like Fletcher.

horseflesh
24-08-2012, 10:26 AM

He undoubtedly improved after leaving Hibs but still at SPL level for the most part.

Surely going on to greater things is a player who really kicks on and goes on to play at a higher level, someone like Fletcher.

I am sure Hartley's wallet would disagree, few years at Celtic. Like it or not his career went upwards after he went to Tynecastle - never thought that would have happened when he played for us in Div1.
Was he replaced by Tony Rougier?

Nevi1875
24-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Sowunmi + konte

fat freddy
24-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Daniel Anderson....a huge mistake by Mowbray..He replaced him with Simon Brown and then Zibi when it was clear that Brown wasn't up to it...if we had a decent keeper playing behind the golden generation that came through under Mowbray i believe we could have dominated the world....or Edinburgh..

allezsauzee
24-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Maybe not a player who went on to better things as it would be nigh on impossible to beat what he achieved as part of the famous five, but I think we may have released Gordon Smith too early

Holmesdale Hibs
24-08-2012, 10:50 AM
A lot of discussion on here re Vaz Te and how he looks a million miles from the lazy git he was at ER but overall I think Hibs rarely get it wrong when it comes to releasing players - maybe a warning to the young lads to screw the nut because the odds are against you making a good living from the game if you get punted by us!
Off the top of my head (and these are up for debate!)

Vaz Te
Shelton Martis
John Rankin (highly contentious)
Any more?

What happened to Martis in the end? I forget.

I read on here that Jonliet (sp?) - defender JC brought in on loan and rarely played - turned out to be a decent player.

horseflesh
24-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Daniel Anderson....a huge mistake by Mowbray..He replaced him with Simon Brown and then Zibi when it was clear that Brown wasn't up to it...if we had a decent keeper playing behind the golden generation that came through under Mowbray i believe we could have dominated the world....or Edinburgh..
Very much so - and this lead to an incredible run of poor goalkeepers!
Out of interest, was it Blobby who signed Andersson?
And who did Bryann Gunn take over from when Mcleish came in?

allezsauzee
24-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Very much so - and this lead to an incredible run of poor goalkeepers!
Out of interest, was it Blobby who signed Andersson?
And who did Bryann Gunn take over from when Mcleish came in?

The one and only Oli Gottskalksson, signed by Duff Jim i believe

horseflesh
24-08-2012, 11:01 AM

Christ, how could I forget about him!
After being raised on a diet of Mcarthur, Rough, Goram, Leighton and then Budgie - I couldnae believe my eyes at what I was seeing!
Im sure McCleish signed him though, I think I remember him making a back and front of things when the main stand was demolished

the stig
24-08-2012, 11:16 AM
What happened to Martis in the end? I forget.

I read on here that Jonliet (sp?) - defender JC brought in on loan and rarely played - turned out to be a decent player.

Torben joneleit last season played for genk against chelsea in the champions league. Not bad when he couldnt get in the hibs team.

PatHead
24-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Kirk Broadfoot? Went on to make good money (and play in a European final?) after being freed by Hibs as a youngster.

allezsauzee
24-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Christ, how could I forget about him!
After being raised on a diet of Mcarthur, Rough, Goram, Leighton and then Budgie - I couldnae believe my eyes at what I was seeing!
Im sure McCleish signed him though, I think I remember him making a back and front of things when the main stand was demolished

No it was definitely Duffy in a signing calamity to rival his replacing of Mickey Weir with Paul Tosh

Future17
24-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Also international caps.

Northernhibee
24-08-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm very confident that if we don't try and keep Claros he'll fall into this catagory.

hibbybrian
24-08-2012, 01:21 PM

KWJ
25-08-2012, 03:14 AM
I am sure Hartley's wallet would disagree, few years at Celtic. Like it or not his career went upwards after he went to Tynecastle - never thought that would have happened when he played for us in Div1.
Was he replaced by Tony Rougier?

In the main I'm replying to Pretty Boy who evidently needs a slap if he doesn't think Hartley went on to better things. As you point out his wallet would disagree and his career went upwards after being told to leave us.

Was he replaced by Tony Rougier? No. Rougier was there well before Hartley who signed towards the end of the 1st division season ( I think before ) Rougier made his last appearance.

It seems given that Hartley was poor for us which I don't think was the case at all. He was at the time a winger and probably on a decent wage which he was earning. In our first season back in the SPL he was up there with our most played and IIRC never looked out of place.

Then in season 00/01 McLeish changed to a 3-5-2 and Hartley didn't fit in. Looking back he would've been a great back up for any of our 3 midfielders but at the time you'd never have said that.

Hartley wasn't a failure at Hibs, he was a victim of our success. In my view at least.

Sorry, what's the thread?

KWJ
25-08-2012, 03:19 AM
John Robertson. Sort of.

John Rankin.

What I will say is that I had to think long and hard about it and there's not that many which is surely a testament to the board. Or the board are **** for letting us sign so many awful players.

What happened to the Dempsie brothers btw? I remember Mark was a solid centre half but had back problems while Allan played one game against St. Johnstone, looked solid (yet tiny) and was never seen again.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Osbourne.... Potentially

He wasn't released, he was sold, big difference surely.

erin go bragh
25-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Anderson wanted to go home to sweden , so a bit unfair on TM .

But defo his mistake's with the replacements .

ggtth

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Read somewhere that Willie Pettigrew was on our books as a kid. Went on to play for Bayern Minich, as well as being brilliant for Motherwell.

Gettin' Auld
25-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Read somewhere that Willie Pettigrew was on our books as a kid. Went on to play for Bayern Minich, as well as being brilliant for Motherwell.

Was a youth player for us round about 1970.

ballengeich
25-08-2012, 10:45 AM

I recall an interview in which he said that being released by Hibs was the making of him, as the shock made him realise that he'd have to start working at the game.

I don't think he went to Bayern though. Are you thinking of Alan McInally?

Minder
25-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Kirk Broadfoot? Went on to make good money (and play in a European final?) after being freed by Hibs as a youngster.

And look what happened, now playing Peterhead and Berwick.

Hibeesmad
25-08-2012, 12:10 PM
We let Danny Swanson go as a youngster, could have been great.

bigwheel
25-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Broadfoot rejected a new contract as a youngster with Hibs...wanted something nearer home

hibbybrian
25-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Was a youth player for us round about 1970.

See post 24 and put your cursor over the photo :greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
25-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Thompson Allan,

Goalie in sixties. Free transfer to Dundee then played for Scotland and went to Munich 1974 in World Cup. Gordon Marshall's dad kept him out of team.
Later signed for Hearts and Meadowbank.

Stevo1875
25-08-2012, 08:45 PM

ha! he ended up in jail... better things for oli?!?!... depends on which season we are reflecting on!!