PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths - Future Call Up?

SteveHFC
20-08-2012, 11:47 PM
CRAIG LEVEIN has left the World Cup door ajar for on-form SPL aces Johnny Russell, Leigh Griffiths and Jamie Murphy.

The home-based strikers each scored two at the weekend to remind Scotland boss Levein of their prowess.

Hibs hitman Griffiths, who turned 22 yesterday, hit a matchwinning brace at St Mirren Park. And Levein has urged the former Under-21 cap to take a leaf out of Russell’s book.
He added: “On talent alone, there is no reason why Leigh could not be a full international in time.
“I’d love to see him have a similar impact to the one Johnny has had. He is a bit hot and cold but if he finds that consistency he definitely has the ability to be an international player.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4497061/You-can-be-our-Rio-trio.html

NOLA
20-08-2012, 11:58 PM
no chance while potter is in charge, just paper talk to please the media.

dmc1875
21-08-2012, 12:17 AM
CRAIG LEVEIN has left the World Cup door ajar for on-form SPL aces Johnny Russell, Leigh Griffiths and Jamie Murphy.

The home-based strikers each scored two at the weekend to remind Scotland boss Levein of their prowess.

Hibs hitman Griffiths, who turned 22 yesterday, hit a matchwinning brace at St Mirren Park. And Levein has urged the former Under-21 cap to take a leaf out of Russell’s book.
He added: “On talent alone, there is no reason why Leigh could not be a full international in time.
“I’d love to see him have a similar impact to the one Johnny has had. He is a bit hot and cold but if he finds that consistency he definitely has the ability to be an international player.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4497061/You-can-be-our-Rio-trio.html

He is just being polite. No chance Potter will put Griffiths in the Scotland squad. More likely Gordon Smith, Templeton et all at the PBS..

joe_hfc
21-08-2012, 01:41 AM
He is just being polite. No chance Potter will put Griffiths in the Scotland squad. More likely Gordon Smith, Templeton et all at the PBS..

If Templeton gets a call up it's because he is an outstanding young player. I'm confident that Potter will judge his call ups by their football ability, not by which club that they play for. The reason we haven't had our players called up of late is because we haven't had any Scottish players that were any good/ on form.... until now!

MagicSwirlingShip
21-08-2012, 02:55 AM
To be honest, I see that as a pretty shrewd move from Levein. Talking up three players chances, and giving them a target of consistency can only benefit us. Surely he won't include all three in a squad, but this will push them on to try and outperform eachother.

We had our most successful forward line in years when Riordan & O'Connor had a goalscoring rivalry. Here's hoping the three take this the right way and try to kick on in a rivalry with each other for a Scotland jersey. It can only benefit our national team if they do.

dmc1875
21-08-2012, 02:56 AM
If Templeton gets a call up it's because he is an outstanding young player. I'm confident that Potter will judge his call ups by their football ability, not by which club that they play for. The reason we haven't had our players called up of late is because we haven't had any Scottish players that were any good/ on form.... until now!

O'Connor last season? He was banging them in and was overlooked for 'off the field problems' yet Goodwillie who hadn't kicked a ball in anger, who also had 'off the field problems' was picked? :confused:

joe_hfc
21-08-2012, 05:10 AM
O'Connor last season? He was banging them in and was overlooked for 'off the field problems' yet Goodwillie who hadn't kicked a ball in anger, who also had 'off the field problems' was picked? :confused:

Was he really banging them in? I thought he was quite crap for us TBH

Septimus
21-08-2012, 05:14 AM
What a condescending git Levein is. Perhaps he thinks that if he speaks in such measured tones we will all be persuaded that he has a clue what he is talking about.

Craig_in_Prague
21-08-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm still convinced if Fletcher was an ex yam or D Utd, he'd have made more effort to smoothe things out and pick him.

Just Alf
21-08-2012, 06:27 AM
I'm still convinced if Fletcher was an ex yam or D Utd, he'd have made more effort to smoothe things out and pick him.

That still rankles with me...... why has he been excluded?

For sending a text saying he was going to be unavailable for a game..... potty claims it was disrespectful.

Strange thing to say when potty's process is to inform players they're on the team or any travel changes etc is by a bloody text!

Double standards! No?

Pretty Boy
21-08-2012, 06:29 AM

Templeton, 'an outstanding young player'!

Sorry who are we talking about here?

Tricla
21-08-2012, 07:22 AM

You have confidence that Potter isn't a corrupt tool?

You're having a laugh surely?

Tricla
21-08-2012, 07:24 AM
That still rankles with me...... why has he been excluded?

For sending a text saying he was going to be unavailable for a game..... potty claims it was disrespectful.

Strange thing to say when potty's process is to inform players they're on the team or any travel changes etc is by a bloody text!

Double standards! No?

Levein is on glue and the sooner everyone (especially the powers that be) realises this, the better.

ronaldo7
21-08-2012, 07:47 AM

Goals scored last season...Griffiths 8, Russell 8.

Leigh was playing in a team hoping for the scraps, whilst Johnny was playing in a team going for Europe.

I think potter needs to be more open minded on Griffiths or has he a back door into the refs secret den at Hampdump.

Both lads should be considered for call ups, but that's after Fletch has been re-instated as our Scotland Centre forward.

lyonhibs
21-08-2012, 08:06 AM
With that utter muppet in charge, I neither think nor indeed hope that Leigh gets a call-up. If he did, he'd get about 5 minutes at the end, not score and then Pottz Levein would almost certainly say something like 'oh, he has the talent but he really needs to knuckle down to be considered again I'm afraid'

Treadstone
21-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm with Lyonhibs here . I don't want Sparky to get called up , this campaign has all the makings of 'Blairs Iraq' . Players setting out with Potter on the Road to Brazil will be tarnished this has the promise to be one of the worst qualifying runs yet . I would be very surprised if Scotland finish higher than fifth in the group.

California-Hibs
21-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I personally think it's sad how much hatred folk have for Levein because of his Hearts connection. I hate Hearts just as much as the next Hibee, but when it comes to Scotland it's a different matter.

Reading comments on here when Scotland are playing and theres a match thread makes me cringe. Just like last week though, i love it when Scotland win and there are those on here who are gutted. Gutted because their country win because the man in charge is an ex Hearts player/manager.

If Levein didn't have this connection he would receive a much easier time on here. I don't agree with the way he's handled the Fletcher situation, but the whole not picking Hibs players for the national team theory...sorry guy's but open your flippin eyes! We've finished 10th-11th the past two seasons and have had NO players worthy of a call up. If folk think O'Connor was worthy of a call up ahead of the other Scots who were selected last year then sorry, you are a poor judge of player.

Leigh Griffiths is a completely different ball game. This boy DOES have the ability of a future call-up if he keeps banging them in and knuckles down.

I'm not worried to stick my head out and say i support Craig Levein. Why? Because i support every Scotland manager who's in charge of the national team.

Que the abuse following this reply of my opinion.

allezsauzee
21-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't dislike Levein because he is an ex yam. I dislike him because he is an arrogant clown.

Tricla
21-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't dislike Levein because he is an ex yam. I dislike him because he is an arrogant clown.

Same here.

Nothing to do with him being a yam at all. I hate him because he is a self centred, obnoxious, arrogant, egotistical moron.

Lucius Apuleius
21-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Me too. Dislike him as he is an absolute clown and an extremely bad, in my opinion, man manger. I am home for the next two games at the 'Dump and will have to watch my pre match alcohol intake otherwise I feel I may upset some of the surrounding hordes.

I should add, when he was appointed Manager I really thought it was a good appointment. Epic fail.

allezsauzee
21-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Me too. Dislike him as he is an absolute clown and an extremely bad, in my opinion, man manger. I am home for the next two games at the 'Dump and will have to watch my pre match alcohol intake otherwise I feel I may upset some of the surrounding hordes.

I should add, when he was appointed Manager I really thought it was a good appointment. Epic fail.

We all make mistakes...well apart from the aforementioned Mr Levein in his own eyes of course!

cocopops1875
21-08-2012, 10:34 AM
5-5-0 is still the main reason I hate him the travelling fans deserved better, the fletcher issue doesnt help either and his pitch side appearance (outsized white and blue trackie coupled with a too wee black baseball cap, his dodgy stubble/beard) does not work for me either, and don't get me started on Black's selection

allezsauzee
21-08-2012, 10:43 AM
5-5-0 was scandalous and treated the travelling support with contempt, however I think the playing for a draw in Lithuania was tactically even more inept as that was a game we should have been winning.

graemegyle
21-08-2012, 10:48 AM
If he was in his plans why has he been left out of the last two under 21s squads

Dinkydoo
21-08-2012, 12:01 PM

:agree:

I actually thought he was a pretty decent manager before he became Scotland boss. I then watched some of his interviews and paid attention to his team selection for a while before concluding that he isn't a good manager, and he's a bit of a clown.

Hibercelona
21-08-2012, 12:05 PM

I dislike him for both reasons.

Although there isn't really such a thing as an ex-yam. Once infected, there's no cure.

clerriehibs
21-08-2012, 12:13 PM
4-6-0

Hypocrite

arrogant

inconsistent

violent

temperamental

wears a jumper under a suit jacket

His yam connections are the least of his problems.

Lucius Apuleius
21-08-2012, 01:05 PM
4-6-0

Hypocrite

arrogant

inconsistent

violent

temperamental

wears a jumper under a suit jacket

His yam connections are the least of his problems.

Forgot about that!!!! That is the worst thing EVER!

goosefat
21-08-2012, 01:35 PM
No thanks.

The last thing we need is LG getting injured playing for that part-time, waste of time, painfully dull, nonsense.

Sir David Gray
21-08-2012, 01:40 PM
There's more chance of us signing Lionel Messi on the final day of the transfer window than there is of Leigh Griffiths getting a call up to play for Scotland whilst Craig Levein is the manager.

I would be astonished if he picks Griffiths, unless he goes on to score 30 goals this season and he literally can't overlook him.

Oh and, by the way, I don't detest Levein because of his Hearts connections (although I admit it certainly doesn't do him any favours). The reasons behind why I really dislike him are because of his embarrassing team selection in Prague, because of his blatant lies after saying that he wasn't aware that David Goodwillie was facing a rape charge when he was quizzed about why he had left out Garry O'Connor last year due to "off-field problems" and yet had picked Goodwillie whilst he still faced a rape allegation. I also dislike the way he has handled the whole Steven Fletcher situation and his very personal attack on Fletcher that he made a couple of months ago. I also can't stand the fact that he selected, and played, a 3rd division player to play for Scotland, which must make us one of the only countries in the world that has selected a player from its lowest division to play for the national team.

The man is an arrogant, classless twat and the fact that he's a Jambo just compounds that.

The sooner he's away from Scotland, the better for all concerned.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I cannot stand Craig Levein. :aok:

Paisley Hibby
21-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I personally think it's sad how much hatred folk have for Levein because of his Hearts connection. I hate Hearts just as much as the next Hibee, but when it comes to Scotland it's a different matter.

Reading comments on here when Scotland are playing and theres a match thread makes me cringe. Just like last week though, i love it when Scotland win and there are those on here who are gutted. Gutted because their country win because the man in charge is an ex Hearts player/manager.

If Levein didn't have this connection he would receive a much easier time on here. I don't agree with the way he's handled the Fletcher situation, but the whole not picking Hibs players for the national team theory...sorry guy's but open your flippin eyes! We've finished 10th-11th the past two seasons and have had NO players worthy of a call up. If folk think O'Connor was worthy of a call up ahead of the other Scots who were selected last year then sorry, you are a poor judge of player.

Leigh Griffiths is a completely different ball game. This boy DOES have the ability of a future call-up if he keeps banging them in and knuckles down.

I'm not worried to stick my head out and say i support Craig Levein. Why? Because i support every Scotland manager who's in charge of the national team.

Don't disagree with much of what you say. However, as others have said, his yamness is the least of his drawbacks. The real problems I (and many others) have with him are these

he is in a job that is way beyond his level of competence
his tactics are far too negative
he refuses to acknowledge when he get things wrong and responds to any criticism (or what he thinks is criticism) with aggression
he is an arogant t00l

Lets not forget that this is the manager who was seconds away from responsibility for the worst result in Scottish football history (and that's saying something). Only a very very late injury time goal at Hampden against the mighty Leichtenstein saved him from that. Until he gets his jotters I'm not really going to be that interested in Scotland.

jdships
21-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Think you are well off the mark with ' his Hearts connection'. Ok there will always be a few diehards who go down that road but as far as my mates are concerned that is the least of the problems
Therefor I suggest you are tending to ' paper over the cracks ' with the reasons people dislike Levein.
His man management leaves a lot to be desired , he obviously has favourites ( agree many managers do) but for me it is the shape and tactics of the teams he puts out .
Just cannot see us qualifying for anything with him in place .
Then again that is just MY opinion :greengrin:wink:

woody47
21-08-2012, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=HailHail1875;3334812]I personally think it's sad how much hatred folk have for Levein because of his Hearts connection. I hate Hearts just as much as the next Hibee, but when it comes to Scotland it's a different matter.

Absolute cahones!
Levein is a hated figure by fans from a lot of other clubs and it has SFA to do with the yam connection. It is more to do with the arrogance of this pr!ck.
He will not accept any sort of criticism (see any press conference where they bring up his negativity and he just storms out). As a manager of the national squad he should be picking the BEST players available - not his bum boys. The fact that he will be playing Miller just proves how bad his team selection is.
I love Scotland. I love watching them. I have not missed a home game in years and will undoubtably carry on supporting them til I die, but..............................I will not support this pr!ck - EVER!

heretoday
21-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't want him to get "called up". I just want him to play for us.

hibsbollah
21-08-2012, 04:31 PM

:agree:

although theres a 'cause and effect' question here. He's ex-yam, and hes also an arrogant clown. Coincidence? :greengrin

The fewer hibs players that come into contact with the current national team setup, the better.

ancient hibee
21-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Griffiths has a long way to go before he is international standard-not that we have many players who are.As for Black-he was one of the players of the year in the SPL and would be again if he played for an SPL club.

Eyrie
21-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Griffiths has a long way to go before he is international standard-not that we have many players who are.As for Black-he was one of the players of the year in the SPL and would be again if he played for an SPL club.

But Black is a Third Division player who was called up after Levein had dismissed the chances of calling up Lee Wallace for just that reason, despite Wallace being a regular member of the squad.

Levein is incompetent for all the reasons listed by previous posters, and the fact he is an ex-Jambo is an irrelevant distraction.

goosefat
21-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Apart from maybe the top 10 ranked countries and a handful of select others, most international sides are pretty poor and the quality on offer from a bunch of players that get together for a few times a year is relatively low. I think the current Scotland squad is a lower end English championship side at best.

A call up to the Scotland squad is no particular badge of honour, IMHO. I'd rather LG was just playing for Hibs - playing for Scotland won't improve him, I'm sure of that.

Pretty Boy
21-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Don't think his yam connections are relevant.

The majority of kickback seem to hate him too.

Stevo1875
21-08-2012, 07:57 PM
griffiths has a lot to learn and prove before he deserves a call up.

if i was fletcher i would do whatever necessary to play for my country. would he act the way he is if somebody like fergie or moyes were in charge? and if so, would you not think the player was in the wrong?

goodwillie wasnt selected when he had sexual assault charges.

hp has made mistakes, but at least we are hard to beat with him and there is nobody else that would want the job that would be much better.

ronaldo7
21-08-2012, 08:26 PM

if i was fletcher i would do whatever necessary to play for my country. would he act the way he is if somebody like fergie or moyes were in charge? and if so, would you not think the player was in the wrong?

hp has made mistakes, but at least we are hard to beat with him and there is nobody else that would want the job that would be much better.

Guys he could respect you mean. Gotcha:aok:

Stevo1875
21-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Guys he could respect you mean. Gotcha:aok:

if fletcher has no respect for the national team and supporters he can bolt.

next we'll have players no wanting to turn up cos ian black is playing... get a grip. (fletcher no you! ha!)

ronaldo7
21-08-2012, 08:47 PM

next we'll have players no wanting to turn up cos ian black is playing... get a grip. (fletcher no you! ha!)

Or because they canny get a bevvy until 5 in the morning:na na:

They could then give the V sign to the Country but get re-instated by some ingnorant jakey:cb

Stevo1875
21-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Or because they canny get a bevvy until 5 in the morning:na na:

They could then give the V sign to the Country but get re-instated by some ingnorant jakey:cb

exactly!!! you should not receive your full scotland cap until you have been up til 5am drinking between games!

im sure that pair were the last 2 of a few up late and they felt hard done by for being victimised by the press who were fully aware brwn and others were at it too. so was he ignorrant? did it deserve a life sentence or was the ban they received just?

hfc rd
21-08-2012, 09:06 PM
More chance of potter selecting Kevin Kyle over sparky.

Sir David Gray
21-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Sorry, you're quite correct about that.

He was, however, chosen by Levein to play for Scotland whilst he faced charges over a serious assault where he was accused of kicking someone on the head and body.

When quizzed on this matter during a pre-match press conference, Levein said the charge was "news to him".

In the same interview, he stated;

“So there is more of a moral responsibility with the national team. I might be wrong about that, but I feel there is. I’m trying to be pretty consistent on what the message is.

“Loads of things happen in life that players get involved in, but being a club manager is different from being national team manager. Everybody in Scotland feels part of the Scotland national team.

“I think there is more of a moral onus on me to try and put people in the team who are behaving in a manner that befits playing for the national side. I have looked at the cases that have happened so far and just felt it’s best if those players were not involved."

And yet one of the first things that he did after taking over as the national manager was to go crawling to Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor and attempt to get the pair of them reinstated as national team players after their childish behaviour on the bench at Hampden a few years ago, at a time when Ferguson had the biggest "moral responsibility" of all when he was the team captain.

Not only is Levein a hypocrite but if he claims not to be aware that a player who he has managed at both international AND club level, and whose club manager at the time of being charged with the assault is Levein's assistant with Scotland, was facing a charge of assault when he picked him last year then he is either incompetent beyond belief or he is a liar.

I'll leave it up to each individual to decide which description is most accurate.

Eyrie
21-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Not only is Levein a hypocrite but if he claims not to be aware that a player who he has managed at both international AND club level, and whose club manager at the time of being charged with the assault is Levein's assistant with Scotland, was facing a charge of assault when he picked him last year then he is either incompetent beyond belief or he is a liar.

I'll leave it up to each individual to decide which description is most accurate.
Easy choice - both.

matty_f
21-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Same here.

Nothing to do with him being a yam at all. I hate him because he is a self centred, obnoxious, arrogant, egotistical moron.
I agree with this, though I have to say his ex Yam credentials top it off and make him much easier to dislike.

ronaldo7
22-08-2012, 07:04 AM
exactly!!! you should not receive your full scotland cap until you have been up til 5am drinking between games!

im sure that pair were the last 2 of a few up late and they felt hard done by for being victimised by the press who were fully aware brwn and others were at it too. so was he ignorrant? did it deserve a life sentence or was the ban they received just?

You seem to know quite alot about the late drinking situation. Were you there? Or did you just read it in the Sun/DR

Potter has been found out and I think Falkirkhibee has covered it very well in post #46.

I can understand why he would go grovelling to Barry the crab. They have the same moral compass.

ALF TUPPER
22-08-2012, 09:02 AM
No chance LG playing for Scotland under Levein ( even if he started banging in hatricks every game from now til the end of the season). Leigh wasnt born outwith Scotland with dubious ancestral connections.

Levein was, is and will always be a total phanny.

God bless Hibs

Stevo1875
22-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Sorry, you're quite correct about that.

He was, however, chosen by Levein to play for Scotland whilst he faced charges over a serious assault where he was accused of kicking someone on the head and body.

When quizzed on this matter during a pre-match press conference, Levein said the charge was "news to him".

In the same interview, he stated;

“So there is more of a moral responsibility with the national team. I might be wrong about that, but I feel there is. I’m trying to be pretty consistent on what the message is.

“Loads of things happen in life that players get involved in, but being a club manager is different from being national team manager. Everybody in Scotland feels part of the Scotland national team.

“I think there is more of a moral onus on me to try and put people in the team who are behaving in a manner that befits playing for the national side. I have looked at the cases that have happened so far and just felt it’s best if those players were not involved."

And yet one of the first things that he did after taking over as the national manager was to go crawling to Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor and attempt to get the pair of them reinstated as national team players after their childish behaviour on the bench at Hampden a few years ago, at a time when Ferguson had the biggest "moral responsibility" of all when he was the team captain.

was he accused or charged? :confused:

Stevo1875
22-08-2012, 08:08 PM
You seem to know quite alot about the late drinking situation. Were you there? Or did you just read it in the Sun/DR

Potter has been found out and I think Falkirkhibee has covered it very well in post #46.

I can understand why he would go grovelling to Barry the crab. They have the same moral compass.

no and no!.... :wink:

Sir David Gray
23-08-2012, 09:24 AM
was he accused or charged? :confused:

Was who accused or charged?

If you mean Goodwillie then, yes, he was charged with assault relating to an incident in November 2010. Earlier this year when it got to trial, he pleaded guilty to the charge and he got a community service order as a result.

jacomo
23-08-2012, 09:33 AM

This is how Levein wants people to see it, but I really don't think this is the situation at all. Fletcher was in a genuine quandary, caught between club and country commitments - not the first and not the last player to face such a situation. Mostly, it is dealt with in an amicable fashion.

Not Levein though - he saw it as a chance to stamp his authority by publicly humiliating the player... repeatedly.

The man isn't big enough to realise that bigger things are at stake here, and has totally misjudged the situation.

Fletcher is the most talented forward at Scotland's disposal - the SFA should have ordered their manager to sort it out. It's pathetic.

By the way, I had nothing against Levein being appointed and hoped he would do well. But this situation - plus others such as the awful "no striker" formation against the Czechs has me shaking my head.

SurferRosa
23-08-2012, 01:23 PM
There's more chance of us signing Lionel Messi on the final day of the transfer window than there is of Leigh Griffiths getting a call up to play for Scotland whilst Craig Levein is the manager.

I would be astonished if he picks Griffiths, unless he goes on to score 30 goals this season and he literally can't overlook him.

Oh and, by the way, I don't detest Levein because of his Hearts connections (although I admit it certainly doesn't do him any favours). The reasons behind why I really dislike him are because of his embarrassing team selection in Prague, because of his blatant lies after saying that he wasn't aware that David Goodwillie was facing a rape charge when he was quizzed about why he had left out Garry O'Connor last year due to "off-field problems" and yet had picked Goodwillie whilst he still faced a rape allegation. I also dislike the way he has handled the whole Steven Fletcher situation and his very personal attack on Fletcher that he made a couple of months ago. I also can't stand the fact that he selected, and played, a 3rd division player to play for Scotland, which must make us one of the only countries in the world that has selected a player from its lowest division to play for the national team.

The man is an arrogant, classless twat and the fact that he's a Jambo just compounds that.

The sooner he's away from Scotland, the better for all concerned.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I cannot stand Craig Levein. :aok:

:agree:.....that about sums it up. Nothing i can add to that.

:top marks

hibeedonald
23-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't dislike Craig Levien because he's a Jambo (I was happy when he was appointed) But as a Scotland Manager he has been absolutely dire, I think he has a better choice of players at his disposal then some of our previous managers, but playing 1 up front against the likes of Lichtenstein makes me ill. Yes we win a few games (austrailia etc) but i think thats more down to the fact we do have some good players in the squad, its a shame we will never see their full potential. And surely it would be better having Steven Fletcher than Levien, now the most expensive Scottish footballer in history!