PDA

View Full Version : Another Hibby up in heaven

Jay
20-08-2012, 07:21 AM
My dad, James Finlayson also known as Finn. Ex Navy, prison Officer and Post office.

Born and bred a Fifer, came to Leith one summer as a boy to stay with relatives and fell in love with the mighty Hibees. Did his duty by ensuring my brother, me and my boys were all initiated into the hibby family from a very young age.

The last thing I said to him was on saturday telling him that Hibs had won 2-1 and wee Sparky had scored. He smiled and nodded and slipped away peacefully a while later.

RIP
Forever in my heart dad xxx

Lucius Apuleius
20-08-2012, 07:28 AM
He will be in good company Jill. Thoughts an prayers with you honey.

aljo7-0
20-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Sorry to hear that Jill. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Pretty Boy
20-08-2012, 07:33 AM
My thoughts go out to you and yours at such a sad time.

dangermouse
20-08-2012, 07:36 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you at this time.

matty_f
20-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear that Jill, thoughts are with you.

Ray_
20-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Sorry for your loss, condolences & my thoughts are with you, your family & your dads friends.

God Bless

fit o' the walk
20-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Awwwwwww!! I'm awfully sorry to hear that about your Dad,Jimmy was a lovely,gentle man. I worked with Jimmy in the Post Office for many years.A great Hibby,who used to sit just below me in the West stand. My thoughts are with you all at this very sad time.......RIP.Jimmy it was a privelige to know you...Eddie

scuttle
20-08-2012, 08:22 AM
God bless

Jay
20-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Awwwwwww!! I'm awfully sorry to hear that about your Dad,Jimmy was a lovely,gentle man. I worked with Jimmy in the Post Office for many years.A great Hibby,who used to sit just below me in the West stand. My thoughts are with you all at this very sad time.......RIP.Jimmy it was a privelige to know you...Eddie

He was many things Eddie, never an angel but always a character. Thanks for your kind words, they really mean a lot to me. Dad and I were very close, we were very similar in nature and just 'got' each other, too similar at times! Me and his grandson still sit in the same seats, could never move away from where he was.

Jill

blackpoolhibs
20-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Sad news Jill, my thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

fit o' the walk
20-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I now live abroad so never at Easter Rd now..when i was there i used to always make sure i would say hi to your Dad when i saw him.As the words of the Hibs song says "But the memories linger on" and we both have lots of good memories of Jimmy.Glory glory to the Hibees.:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
20-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Condolences. Always sad when a fellow Hibby passes.

JimBHibees
20-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Sad to hear of your loss. RIP.

EuanH78
20-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Condolences to you and your family.

Gettin' Auld
20-08-2012, 09:49 AM
RIP Jimmy.

IWasThere2016
20-08-2012, 10:12 AM
A Fifer and a Hibby - it'll be red carpet into heaven.

RIP Jimmy.

hibeelin
20-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad Jill. Knew him well from Longstone, would quite often go to games with 'Jim Finn' Logie Thornburn, George Bell and my dad (Ronnie Campbell). Too many of the gang have now gone. Thinking of you and family. Linda

soupy
20-08-2012, 10:27 AM
RIP Jimmy.....:-(

Houchy
20-08-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry to read this Jill, my thoughts are with you at this time. xxx

Saorsa
20-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry tae hear of your loss Jill, condolences tae you and your family

H18sry
20-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.. Hopefully he will meet up with all the other Hibees high above and sing "glory to the Hibees the team that we all love"

staunchhibby
20-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Thinking of you at this sad time.Knew your dad well and worked with him.

lEXO
20-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Lix
20-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Thinking of you and your family at this sad time. He'll always be with you x

Thecat23
20-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Very sorry to hear of you're loss. Your dad from what has been said sounds a great guy, and the messages of folk who knew him I hope you can take comfort that he's obviously touched many peoples lives.

R.I.P Jimmy.

Bristolhibby
20-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear of your sad news. RIP.

GGTTH!

J

R'Albin
20-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Really sorry to hear that Jill, thoughts go out to you, your family and all of your Dad's friends. R.I.P

derek0762
20-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear of you're loss, my dad passed away in May :-( another good Hibby taken from us, "together they'll be singing to the angels high above" GGTTH, R.I.P

HNA2
20-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad Jill. Knew him well from Longstone, would quite often go to games with 'Jim Finn' Logie Thornburn, George Bell and my dad (Ronnie Campbell). Too many of the gang have now gone. Thinking of you and family. Linda

Linda, Logie still comes to games with me, and george and i were at Dundee together. The 'do' will be in the club. No place more fitting for him. Xx

HibbyAndy
20-08-2012, 12:22 PM
RIP Jimmy. Condolences to you and your family Jill.

Expecting Rain
20-08-2012, 12:25 PM
My dad, James Finlayson also known as Finn. Ex Navy, prison Officer and Post office.

Born and bred a Fifer, came to Leith one summer as a boy to stay with relatives and fell in love with the mighty Hibees. Did his duty by ensuring my brother, me and my boys were all initiated into the hibby family from a very young age.

The last thing I said to him was on saturday telling him that Hibs had won 2-1 and wee Sparky had scored. He smiled and nodded and slipped away peacefully a while later.

RIP
Forever in my heart dad xxx

We knew your father from working beside him at the post office, he was a very friendly, charming and knowledgeable guy, last time i saw him was at Livingston v Hibs and we had a good chat, i was thinking about him recently. Give our most deepest and heartfelt regards to your mum and the rest of the family.
Stevie & Joyce

ALF TUPPER
20-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Condolences to you and all your family. Sad news.

hibeelin
20-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Linda, Logie still comes to games with me, and george and i were at Dundee together. The 'do' will be in the club. No place more fitting for him. Xx

Thanks for info, when is the funeral? Will see if I can get someone to come with me (my healths not too great these days). Glad to see Logie still goes to ER. George jr just lives round the corner from me so see him often.

Have many fond memories of going to the games after a few in the club, tho some of the jokes and choice language would often make me blush lol.

Jay
20-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for info, when is the funeral? Will see if I can get someone to come with me (my healths not too great these days). Glad to see Logie still goes to ER. George jr just lives round the corner from me so see him often.

Have many fond memories of going to the games after a few in the club, tho some of the jokes and choice language would often make me blush lol.

Not got a time yet Linda but its on Friday at Mortonhall. You would be more than welcome to pop along even just to the club if thats all you can manage. He was a great drinker and will be smiling on us raising a glass to him. Will let you know more when I know it.

Growing up in and around the club definitely toughens you up eh?

Jay
20-08-2012, 01:08 PM
We knew your father from working beside him at the post office, he was a very friendly, charming and knowledgeable guy, last time i saw him was at Livingston v Hibs and we had a good chat, i was thinking about him recently. Give our most deepest and heartfelt regards to your mum and the rest of the family.
Stevie & Joyce

Stevie, dad talked about you quite a lot. You definitely had a place in his heart. Its funny talking to people who I dont know, who knew dad so well, I know Mark and Shirley well but obviously have never met you. dad was so pleased when Ryan and Scott started playing football together, it gave him that wee bit of contact with you again through them.

BroxburnHibee
20-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Sorry for your loss Jill. Sad news.

hibeelin
20-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Not got a time yet Linda but its on Friday at Mortonhall. You would be more than welcome to pop along even just to the club if thats all you can manage. He was a great drinker and will be smiling on us raising a glass to him. Will let you know more when I know it.

Growing up in and around the club definitely toughens you up eh?

Thanks, will do my best. Thinking of you all. X

LALthehibeeGAL
20-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi Jill just want to say the same as the rest really - a really nice guy and brilliant for our pub quiz!! very knowledgeable man. I found Jim great company and see why he was so well liked and will be sorely missed. Thoughts are with you and yours - keep us posted re funeral.

take care

as previously stated "together they'll be singing to the angels high above" GGTH

Cheers.

E.

DoonTheSlope
20-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Deepest condolences to you and your family.

mim
20-08-2012, 05:53 PM
R.I.P. good Hibby.

Condolences to all friends and family.

DaveF
20-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Sorry to read this news Jill. Sad news indeed.

Dave + Family.

Barney McGrew
20-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I echo everyone else on this Jill, sorry to hear the news and my thoughts are with you and your family.

Hibby D
20-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Thinking of you Jill. xx

Jonnyboy
20-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I wish I had the words to ease your pain Jill. RIP to your Dad and thoughts with you and yours x

Jay
20-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Its 12pm on Friday at mortonhall. Family flowers only but we are having a collection for St Johns Oncology/hematology dept where dad spent an awful lot of the past 2 years. The staff in both those units, from the cleaner, to the therapists, to the consultants were like an extended family to him. Its a celebration of life ceremony - kinda like a humanist service.

surreyhibbie
20-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Didn't know your Dad , Jill, but the worst day of my life was when mine passed away so I have a good idea what you are going through.

Deepest and sincere condolences, and, as you say, another good man in heaven.

The number of people who knew him on the forum and have said good things should be some comfort.

Little Miss Perfect
20-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Sorry to hear your sad news Jill,love to you all x

Hibrandenburg
21-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Sorry for your loss Mrs S! Sure he'll visit your heart frequently.

The Harp
21-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Always sad to hear of the passing of a good Hibee.
Sounds like you'll have a host of happy memories to sustain you.
Condolences to all family and friends.

RIP

gegs70
21-08-2012, 08:16 AM
I didnt know Jimmy but sorry to hear of another good hibby passing....

Hibernia&Alba
21-08-2012, 10:48 PM
RIP Finn and all the best to Mrs S and her family at this difficult time. We only get one mother and one father, and I'm sure he was a lovely man. I remember her mentioning in the 'I miss' thread her dad and his telling everybody how to do things right.

We think all of human existence includes ourselves because it's all we know. But when we too are gone, then what? The world will carry on.