PDA

View Full Version : Geek alert - derby attendance

Liberal Hibby
20-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Noticed that the Tannadice Street derby had an attendance more than 1,000 in excess of our own.

Has the Dundee Derby ever had a higher crowd than Edinburgh's?

Ultrabee1-0
20-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Shocking! Ano our results havnt been the best before the derby but for **** sake dundee derby got more thun us? Wow!

Pete
20-08-2012, 03:19 AM
Has the Dundee Derby ever had a higher crowd than Edinburgh's?

I think it has.

I noticed that the Tannadice Street derby had an attendance more than 1,000 in excess of our own this weekend.

SouthMoroccoStu
20-08-2012, 04:42 AM
First Dundee derby for 7 years.

This will be a big factor in determining to crowd size.

Sprouleflyer
20-08-2012, 06:42 AM
When was the last time a Dundee Derby had a 52,000 crowd?

Hermit Crab
20-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Only £20 to get in, no wonder it sold out. Also utd fans who couldn't make it were urged to sell their s/t seat back to the club so the club could then resell the seat to the public.

Part/Time Supporter
20-08-2012, 08:43 AM
First Dundee derby for 7 years.

This will be a big factor in determining to crowd size.

:agree:

First St. Johnstone v Dundee game will also draw a big crowd because they haven't played each other for a few years.

NAE NOOKIE
20-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Wouldnt get too bent out of shape on this. A few factors contributed to the crowd difference. Pleased for them that the crowd was so big, long may it continue.

MB62
20-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Wouldnt get too bent out of shape on this. A few factors contributed to the crowd difference. Pleased for them that the crowd was so big, long may it continue.

And more than Utd normally get against der hun :thumbsup:

PeterboroHibee
20-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Whilst the attendance at our derby was poor, I dont think you can blame people. We finished the season being humiliated by Hearts in the final, and first day of the season we get pumped 3-0 by United. Im sure alot of the fans so it as just a continuation of last season, and decided to stay away (which is a shame). We look better now and if results pick up, Im sure the attendances will improve again. I also dont think it should really be a competition about who gets the most, and to see a stadium sold out is really good. If only it could happen more often!

United in particular are really bad for that sort of thing though. Living in Dundee I make it to a few games a season at Tannadice or Dens. Last season I saw them play in the Europa league and it was packed, yet most other games you go and the attendance is verging on embarrassing (I know they arent alone in that!). Its a shame all the fans who were there yesterday probably wont be back come the next home game.

sbell1875
20-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Dundee completely sold out 2 stands. Fair play to them because that was a game they were never going to win.

Doesn't say much about the size of the United support though.

Pretty Boy
20-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Dundee completely sold out 2 stands. Fair play to them because that was a game they were never going to win.

Got nothing to back this up in terms of facts but I've always though Dundee have a bigger fan base than United.

Could be well wrong though.

wazoo1875
20-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Got nothing to back this up in terms of facts but I've always though Dundee have a bigger fan base than United.

Could be well wrong though.

You're not wrong, there are many more Dees fans than Arabs, they've just been sleeping for years !

Pretty Boy
20-08-2012, 06:09 PM
You're not wrong, there are many more Dees fans than Arabs, they've just been sleeping for years !

That's always been my impression.

I worked in Dundee for a while and there was a lot of kids in United tops but in the boozers it seemed everyone over 30 was a Dundee fan.

wazoo1875
20-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah I spend a lot of time up there with a mate who's a big Arab, he reckons there's twice as many Dundee fans. As you also say there are a lot of younger utd fans.

resident_Arab
20-08-2012, 11:49 PM

United's support is probably one of not the most consistent in the country.

The fact is Dundee failed to sell a few hundred seats, thats why attendance was 13500 crowd and not 14000.

The 9000 home ends seats were sold out 12 days prior to the game, Utd fans were annoyed we didn't get the Jerry Kerr stand also as the demand was there and it would have sold out, then you see a section of it empty at the game that they couldn't sell.

Nothing to do with Utds support, more the mythical dee fanbase, at the Dens derby our 4500 allocation will be gone in a couple days just like the Friendly derby last month.

resident_Arab
20-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Yeah I spend a lot of time up there with a mate who's a big Arab, he reckons there's twice as many Dundee fans. As you also say there are a lot of younger utd fans.

:faf:

allezsauzee
21-08-2012, 12:11 PM
To be fair to Hibs supporters we had about as many at the derby as United. If we had a team that played as good football as United do at the moment , I think we'd be selling out our end. I also think a lot of people were put off by some sort of party that the yams were promising that never materialised.