PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths Goal Celebrations

spike220
19-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know why Griffiths celebrates his goals with his shirt in his mouth?

Is there any special reason?

J-C
20-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Does anyone know why Griffiths celebrates his goals with his shirt in his mouth?

Is there any special reason?

Probably his way if kissing the badge, easier to stick it yer mouth than hold it in yer hand while trying to kiss it.

StevesFamau5
20-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Possibly a referance to biting the hand that feeds you. A cheeky wee take on that after the so called mutiny last season.... Or more likely reason his weans are teething... Or im just really sleep deprevated :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Wilson
20-08-2012, 01:59 AM
It is in case they mistook the mo-bot for an offensive gesture.

Ultrabee1-0
20-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Just being different I guess I quite like it:)!
Hopefully see him do it a lot more this season!

basehibby
20-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Cos he's a daft bugger??? Or maybe one of his bairns does it and he's impersonating them impersonating a daft bugger - cannae think where they get it from :confused:

cabbageandribs1875
20-08-2012, 08:29 AM
he can bite whatever he wants, i'd just rather he did it without leaving the pitch, still at least it puts him top equal of the yellow card league table to get that coveted prize of a..............suspension :giruy: :wink:

Craig_in_Prague
20-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Having a dummy in his sock as well for the semi-final was daft, I tell you what though, having him in the team and seeing how much it means to him, IMO rekindles a lot of fans love for the team again (I know it has for me). Haven been rather apathetic to Hibs (and football in Scotland) for the last few years, it's wonderful to see a genuine talent in our team that loves Hibs as much as the next Hibby.

Just hope we can sign him up, even for 2 years.

MB62
20-08-2012, 08:40 AM
he can bite whatever he wants, i'd just rather he did it without leaving the pitch, still at least it puts him top equal of the yellow card league table to get that coveted prize of a..............suspension :giruy: :wink:

Is that what he got booked for on Saturday?

cabbageandribs1875
20-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Is that what he got booked for on Saturday?

for leaving the pitch yes, as did Doyle

JimBHibees
20-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Is it not very unusual for 2 players to be booked for that. Usually just the scorer would be punished havent noticed at any other game 2 players being done for that.

cabbageandribs1875
20-08-2012, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;3333876]Is it not very unusual for 2 players to be booked for that. Usually just the scorer would be punished havent noticed at any other game 2 players being done for that.[/QUOT

not that it matters really, it's a stupid rule to start with, if only it was applied to every team, i still insist beattie should have had two yellow cards in that semi-final against sellick:agree: one for leaving the field of play and one for running about like a pri@k

61:00BookingBookingLeigh Griffiths is shown a yellow card for leaving the field of play without the referee's permission.
60:46BookingBookingThe referee books Eoin Doyle for leaving the field of play without the referee's permission.

SlickShoes
20-08-2012, 08:59 AM
It was a daft booking, he jumped the boards behind the goal but stayed on the grass the whole time, never touching the track at the side, so was never really that close to the fans. I can understand getting booked for running in to the fans and to some ridiculous extent for taking your top off, but getting booked for jumping the advertising boards seems really petty.

Even Beattie scoring for them in the SC semi in my opinion shouldn't be booked, a guys just scored an important goal for his team hes not done anything other than swing his top around and run about, its one of the more stupid rules in football.

JimBHibees
20-08-2012, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;3333876]Is it not very unusual for 2 players to be booked for that. Usually just the scorer would be punished havent noticed at any other game 2 players being done for that.[/QUOT

not that it matters really, it's a stupid rule to start with, if only it was applied to every team, i still insist beattie should have had two yellow cards in that semi-final against sellick:agree: one for leaving the field of play and one for running about like a pri@k

61:00BookingBookingLeigh Griffiths is shown a yellow card for leaving the field of play without the referee's permission.
60:46BookingBookingThe referee books Eoin Doyle for leaving the field of play without the referee's permission.

That is very strange and as you say is not applied consistently. I remember Mulgrew and 4 or 5 Celtc players jumping into the crowd at Killie when they won the league. Surprise, surprise no action taken. Seems very harsh IMO for 2 players to be booked in this sort of thing.

SlickShoes
20-08-2012, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=cabbageandribs1875;3333881]

That is very strange and as you say is not applied consistently. I remember Mulgrew and 4 or 5 Celtc players jumping into the crowd at Killie when they won the league. Surprise, surprise no action taken. Seems very harsh IMO for 2 players to be booked in this sort of thing.

At the game I actually thought he was booking doyle by accident, the ref in general was howling so it wouldn't surprise me.

cabbageandribs1875
20-08-2012, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=cabbageandribs1875;3333881]

[QUOTE=JimBHibees;3333883]

At the game I actually thought he was booking doyle by accident, the ref in general was howling so it wouldn't surprise me.

cairney stopped short of the advertising boards, but Doyle and sparky wanted to do the hurdles :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/19312415

from 2:57mins

MB62
20-08-2012, 09:11 AM
It was a daft booking, he jumped the boards behind the goal but stayed on the grass the whole time, never touching the track at the side, so was never really that close to the fans. I can understand getting booked for running in to the fans and to some ridiculous extent for taking your top off, but getting booked for jumping the advertising boards seems really petty.

Even Beattie scoring for them in the SC semi in my opinion shouldn't be booked, a guys just scored an important goal for his team hes not done anything other than swing his top around and run about, its one of the more stupid rules in football.

Have to agree with everything you say there.

Football is a game ruled by emotion and if a player scores then he should be entitled to celebrate with his own fans, scoring goals is what the game is all about. It is the most ridiculous of rules and should be scrapped.
In saying that though, until it is scrapped, if Griffiths gets suspended again for bookings like this he should be fined for being stupid.
Hate the rule, but it's there and no point in picking up a suspension because of it.

goosefat
20-08-2012, 09:17 AM

I have to say that I do find this irritating. Players and fans can moan all they like about how it's a silly rule to get booked for leaving the pitch or taking your shirt off but, really, how difficult is it not to do? It's not like a mistimed tackle. Players don't accidently take their shirts off or mistime a run over the advertising boards into their own fans after scoring a goal.

I don't buy the argument that players get 'caught up in the moment' either. If a player has taken the time to, for example, put a dummy in their sock or have a T-Shirt with 'only god can judge me' written on it, then they're fully aware of what they are doing and what will happen when they do it.

If it turns out that LG ends up getting a suspension for accumulation of yellow cards due to mainly celebrations then it will have been totally avoidable.

Daft as the rules may be, players know those rules before the game starts. Just celebrate a goal on the park, shirt on, no dummies, no hand gestures to the opposition fans, no booking...it's simple.

Bristolhibby
20-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Next goal he scores he should run up to the Hibs fans behind the goal, and stop right in the line, with one leg hanging in the air. Just to rub it in.

J

SlickShoes
20-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Have to agree with everything you say there.

Football is a game ruled by emotion and if a player scores then he should be entitled to celebrate with his own fans, scoring goals is what the game is all about. It is the most ridiculous of rules and should be scrapped.
In saying that though, until it is scrapped, if Griffiths gets suspended again for bookings like this he should be fined for being stupid.
Hate the rule, but it's there and no point in picking up a suspension because of it.

Aye it is frustrating, even after he was booked he kicked the ball away when St Mirren got a throw in, on another day that would have got him sent off, the booking for celebrating isn't much of an issue in itself but it's the stupid thing someone gets booked for after can totally change the balance of a game.

At least he is making progress from last season's celebrations, maybe next year he will have mastered staying on the pitch!

MB62
20-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Next goal he scores he should run up to the Hibs fans behind the goal, and stop right in the line, with one leg hanging in the air (over the line). Just to rub it in.

J

:top marks

Stick it up the authorities by doing it to (and a cracking wee smillie as well ) :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
20-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Next goal he scores he should run up to the Hibs fans behind the goal, and stop right in the line, with one leg hanging in the air. Just to rub it in.

J

naw, knowing our luck he will probably do his hamstring in or sommit :(

SRHibs
20-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Possibly a referance to biting the hand that feeds you. A cheeky wee take on that after the so called mutiny last season.... Or more likely reason his weans are teething... Or im just really sleep deprevated :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think you're giving Leigh a bit too much intellectual credit here. :wink:

--------
20-08-2012, 09:58 AM

J

Yup. That'll really get the refereee on his side.

The rule's there, he's not stupid and neither is Doyle - those were two totally avoidable yellow cards which could very well come back to bite the players and the team later in the season.

there are any number of ways open to players to celebrate goals without getting booked.

What exactly does Leigh Griffiths find so difficult to understand about that?

goosefat
20-08-2012, 10:15 AM

The rule's there, he's not stupid and neither is Doyle - those were two totally avoidable yellow cards which could very well come back to bite the players and the team later in the season.

there are any number of ways open to players to celebrate goals without getting booked.

:agree:
It may be daft rule, but it's the easiest rule in the game to adhere to.

seven nowt
20-08-2012, 10:37 AM
It's because he's hungry.

MB62
20-08-2012, 10:53 AM

You shouldn't need referees on your side, you just need them ALL to apply the rules of the game to EVERYONE.

Kris Commons ran off the pitch on Saturday after equalising for the dodgers and didn't receive a yellow card.

Posh Swanny
20-08-2012, 11:21 AM
:agree:
It may be daft rule, but it's the easiest rule in the game to adhere to.

But is it?

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:
• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself but it is essential that players return to the field of play as soon as possible. Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.

It looks to me like Saturday's bookings were only covered by that last paragraph because there was no choreography or contravention of any of the offences listed in the bullet points. So what exactly was the referee preventing by taking the action he did?

--------
20-08-2012, 12:01 PM
You shouldn't need referees on your side, you just need them ALL to apply the rules of the game to EVERYONE.

Kris Commons ran off the pitch on Saturday after equalising for the dodgers and didn't receive a yellow card.

Yup - I agree we shouldn't. But referees are human, and deliberately mocking him or getting in his face with demonstrations like the one suggested are only going to antagonise them

Which can then turn a situation where a player gets a finger-wagging talking-to into one where he gets a yellow card.

That's all I was saying.

goosefat
20-08-2012, 12:07 PM
But is it?

It looks to me like Saturday's bookings were only covered by that last paragraph because there was no choreography or contravention of any of the offences listed in the bullet points. So what exactly was the referee preventing by taking the action he did?

• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Referee was unaware that what he was seeing was actually LG's real face. Easy mistake to make and I cannot blame him for that one.