PDA

View Full Version : For all the Hibs Fans not there today.....

cleanyman
18-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Its a great win but St Mirren deserved at least a draw today. We had a lovely 20 minute spell where we completely dominated the game but after that Saints pounded us. We look stronger as a unit but our fitness was really poor today, 20 minutes to go and we were done.

Its a great win, but still a lot of work to be done.

HibsMax
18-08-2012, 05:10 PM
That's not exactly the impression I got from the Hibs TV commentary team. It sounded like it mostly Hibs. You said that St. Mirren deserved at least a draw, so you think they did enough to win it? I can't say, I didn't see a thing but this is contradictory to what I was listening to.

Hibercelona
18-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I believe you get exactly what you deserve in football.

The object of the game is to score goals while preventing your opponents from scoring as many or more. We did that today, therefore we deserved to win.

I don't care how we do it, but i'll be happy as long as we keep scoring more than our opponents each week.

cleanyman
18-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Hibs played some lovely stuff but St Mirren dominated that 2nd half and we got a goal on the break. I like how Paddy's got us playing but St Mirren should have won that game, missed penalty and 4 chances that went inches wide.

Northernhibee
18-08-2012, 05:14 PM
We really need to strengthen the bench IMO.

PF has moved us on by some way though, I doubt last season we'd have made it 2-0 nor would we have held on at 2-1.

Hibercelona
18-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Hibs played some lovely stuff but St Mirren dominated that 2nd half and we got a goal on the break. I like how Paddy's got us playing but St Mirren should have won that game, missed penalty and 4 chances that went inches wide.

Exactly, they went wide.

If they were more clinical, then they would have deserved to win, but they weren't, therefore they didn't win.

We won, because we done enough to win it. If we hadn't, we wouldn't have won.

cleanyman
18-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Exactly, they went wide.

If they were more clinical, then they would have deserved to win, but they weren't, therefore they didn't win.

We won, because we done enough to win it. If we hadn't, we wouldn't have won.

A lot of Hibs fans will disagree with what im saying. Im not taking anything away from Hibernian today but we got pounded in that 2nd half. Dealt with the majority of it well though and the luck went our way.

Wilson
18-08-2012, 05:20 PM

It would be a strange message board if Hibs fans were as charitable as you when WE are on the losing end!

Goals win games and today we scored them. No should've, would've or could've. That is the difference.

hibees 7062
18-08-2012, 05:20 PM

PF has moved us on by some way though, I doubt last season we'd have made it 2-0 nor would we have held on at 2-1.

Pat mentioned it after the game , hopefull of another 2 or 3 additions

HibsMax
18-08-2012, 05:22 PM

Was it sagging in the middle?

500miles
18-08-2012, 05:24 PM
To be fair, think some folk will always say we're lucky when they're no used to winning. Griffiths should have had a hattrick, Doyle was denied well from Samson and we got into a number of good positions.

kaimendhibs
18-08-2012, 05:25 PM
St Mirren had to change it at half time because we were by far the better side. They pushed us back but we defended well and still had chances, Sparky hit the bar, Doyle blootered one over the bar for example so I believe we deserved the win.:flag:

#FromTheCapital
18-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Was it sagging in the middle?

Just as well O'Conner buggered off to Russia

--------
18-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Slightly different summary of the match on the Bounce ...

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?115619-Just-back-and-its-getting-better&p=1451280#post1451280

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Apart from the game we were 1-0 up, 2-1 down and won 3-2?

Northernhibee
18-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Apart from the game we were 1-0 up, 2-1 down and won 3-2?

Plenty of games last season when we'd get a setback and crumble, or have some pressure exerted upon us and we'd crumble.

Time will prove how this season will go, but we were unlucky not to beat them last week, and we hit St Mirren with a sucker punch today then dug our heels in well.

RoYO!
18-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Did we just sit in and defend the lead and therefore it seemed like they were dominating?

Seems like pf favours protecting a lead and defending solidly. That said I realise we lost a goal a couple of mins after our 2nd

JHFC
18-08-2012, 05:41 PM

If they had blasted the pen oer the bar then that is unlucky but our goal keeper made an excelent save to deny them a goal. I wasn't there but we deserved to win that game. We also defended well at the end of the game to take the 3 points so please don't put your team down when they deserved the win.

calumhibee1
18-08-2012, 05:46 PM
We played really well until they scored and should have been further ahead at half time. Sparky was absolutely superb and we started to drop deeper and deeper the longer the game went at 2-1 because we were struggling to make it stick up top anymore as Doyle and Sparky both looked knackered. Probably couldn't have argued with a draw but a great win and a decent performance.

DaveF
18-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Its a great win but St Mirren deserved at least a draw today. We had a lovely 20 minute spell where we completely dominated the game but after that Saints pounded us. We look stronger as a unit but our fitness was really poor today, 20 minutes to go and we were done.

I disagree. I thought Saints started the game well in the opening 10, but thereafter Hibs completely dominated and were unlucky not to be 2 up. Griffiths (after megging a defender) should have squared to Doyle but went for goal from a tight angle. There was also a great bit of play which ended up with Maybury (I think) lobbing it into the middle and Doyle just not getting his header on target. McPake also had a header at goal and the rebound didn't fall at our feet.

Yes, we were under big pressure in the 2nd half but as the away team you expect that. If we had held out for 10 mins after scoring I think it would have been comfortable but as it was, we saw it out. They were always going to be difficult to cope with having Thomson and that other giant up front, but we did it.

Take the points, praise the team and move on.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-08-2012, 06:22 PM
No sure that I would be digging for a negative after that result, and the thought behind the post seems to be a counter to a feeling that everything is fixed now? Not sure that I feel that coming through either. 3 points away is great. 3 points away when you have played to the top of your abilities is even better. However, 3 points away, against a side that we a good bit better than us last season is more than good. Especially when we have a few more gears to go up as well.

Sir David Gray
18-08-2012, 06:27 PM
It was definitely a game of two halves.

We completely dominated the first half, it would have been an injustice if they had gone in at half time on level terms by scoring that penalty (which WAS a stonewaller by the way, I won't deny that.)

However the introduction of Gary Teale at half time swung the match in their favour. He was getting in some lovely crosses during that second half and causing us a lot of problems down our left hand side. Having said that, we had a couple of chances of our own in the second half. Griffiths nearly got his hat trick when he hit the bar with his free kick and he had another opportunity later on as well.

When 6 minutes of injury time was announced at the end, I thought it was inevitable that it would end 2-2 but fair play to the players for seeing out the victory and giving us a much needed 3 points.

chrisski33
18-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Blimey even when we win folk still wanna be negative!
We won and thats great! GGTTH!

hibsbollah
18-08-2012, 08:06 PM
The OP is entitled to his opinion of course, but i think we were well worth the three points. They came after us second half as they had to do, floated a lot of crosses in to their big men which mcpake and hanlon gobbled up. cant remember williams having to make any/many saves second half, although he flapped at a few corners. Tenacity, hardwork and good defending deserves rewards and we got ours.

Pretty Boy
18-08-2012, 08:10 PM
I wasn't at the game today so can't comment with any authority on that.

However there's been 1 or 2 tonight who still want to dwell on 'negatives'. Why?

There's a whole week ahead to discussed where we still need to improve, what signings we still need. Let's enjoy a Saturday night with an away win in the bag, a striker who scored a brace, a keeper who saved a penalty, a team that dug deep to hold onto a lead. There's been enough negatives over the last few years to last a lifetime. Let's be optimistic that we are finally turning the corner and starting the climb back up the hill.

SlickShoes
18-08-2012, 08:10 PM

I agree that there is still a lot of work to be done and that our midfield were posted missing after 70 minutes, the saints goal really hit us hard. I don't think that they deserved a draw though.

scoopyboy
18-08-2012, 08:11 PM
The OP is entitled to his opinion of course, but i think we were well worth the three points. They came after us second half as they had to do, floated a lot of crosses in to their big men which mcpake and hanlon gobbled up. cant remember williams having to make any/many saves second half, although he flapped at a few corners. Tenacity, hardwork and good defending deserves rewards and we got ours.

They were outstanding, especially whe SM were pinging in crosses for fun in the 2nd half.

BW had a good block from Thompson at 2-1.

SlickShoes
18-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Did we just sit in and defend the lead and therefore it seemed like they were dominating?

Seems like pf favours protecting a lead and defending solidly. That said I realise we lost a goal a couple of mins after our 2nd

That goal hit us really hard, they look a massive boost from it and it was not long before some of our players really started to tire, luckily the back 4 didn't tire as much as the rest of the team.

Nuitdelune
18-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Wasn't there so can't comment. Didn't sound like that on the Hibs audio but even if we were getting a pounding, good that we held if off surely. Teams are built on their defence.

cleanyman
18-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Differing opinions of today's game which is always good:greengrin

Isnt Hibs.net a lovely place.

BSEJVT
18-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Didnt see the game or highlights so these comments aren't based on todays game but football in general

Sometimes you get what you deserve other times you get more others less.

Good teams have a habit of getting more than they deserve because of the character traits their players and the team ethos display.

If PF has finally recruited guys to Hibs that exhibit those traits then we will continue to get more than we deserve and that is a massive improvement from where we have been since 2007.

Whether we are a decent side or not those traits will encourage some supporters back to follow the team as many of us can accept that time of effort even if there is a lack of skill if that is where we presently are, but cant accept some of the tent folders we have had to put up with in recent years.

One swallow doesnt make a summer, but for the first time in a long while there are signs of hope.

lord bunberry
18-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Everyone will have an opinion on today's performance but the bottom line is we scored 2 and they scored 1. Last season it would have probably been the other way around so its onward and upwards to the inevitable crowning of hibernian as 2012-2013 champions :hibees:hibees:hibees:hibees:hibees:hibees:pfgwa:p fgwa

frazeHFC
18-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Not really, i thought we deserved our win. We held on at the end but every team does when winning late in a game. Good performance, even the Saintees after the game said we looked good and deserved it.

AB Hibby
18-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I was there and thought we were good. Deserved the win......but was worried for last 10 mins. During 1st half was better than I've seen us for ages and Deegan looks good player. Griffiths ran his socks off all game as did Doyle. We just seemed to run out of puff and wee bit of belief after 75 mins.

Lucius Apuleius
19-08-2012, 05:29 AM
Psalms 133 verse 1

:wink:

Titch
19-08-2012, 07:32 AM
A lot of Hibs fans will disagree with what im saying. Im not taking anything away from Hibernian today but we got pounded in that 2nd half. Dealt with the majority of it well though and the luck went our way.

Yeah so in the second half we were pounded they had 2 or 3 clear cut chances and scored 1 we had 2 or 3 clear cut chances scored 1 and hit the bar ok I get what your saying

For me st mirren had the better of the second half but hardly pounded us and ad for not deserving the win hahahahaha

Baldy Foghorn
19-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I disagree. I thought Saints started the game well in the opening 10, but thereafter Hibs completely dominated and were unlucky not to be 2 up. Griffiths (after megging a defender) should have squared to Doyle but went for goal from a tight angle. There was also a great bit of play which ended up with Maybury (I think) lobbing it into the middle and Doyle just not getting his header on target. McPake also had a header at goal and the rebound didn't fall at our feet.

Yes, we were under big pressure in the 2nd half but as the away team you expect that. If we had held out for 10 mins after scoring I think it would have been comfortable but as it was, we saw it out. They were always going to be difficult to cope with having Thomson and that other giant up front, but we did it.

Take the points, praise the team and move on.

Agree, good thing for me, is in the last two games we have shown a steely determination, dug in and worked hard collectively....Long may it continue.

Crab apple
19-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Agree, good thing for me, is in the last two games we have shown a steely determination, dug in and worked hard collectively....Long may it continue.

:agree:That was my take on it. I also thought it was good to see the players really supporting each other. For example when Doyle and Griffiths went off both got words of support from Deegan and McPake. Also good to see us pressurising the ref on decision making. Clancy was particularly vocal. Too often in the past we've meekly accepted some of the poor decisions without question.

Jonnyboy
19-08-2012, 09:54 PM
The OP kinda raises the happy clapper/bed wetter argument :greengrin

I reckon we were excellent in the first half and might have gone in a couple of goals up rather than just the one, although I concede if their pen had gone in things might have been different. I also think that although possession favoured them after the break, we fought hard to protect what we had and had the better chances to score more than we did.

So, in summary a happy clapper like me prefers to argue that we deserved the win because we scored two great goals and defended well whilst a bed wetter might say we hung on by the skin of our teeth :greengrin