PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lindsay To Stand Down

Golden Bear
17-08-2012, 07:07 PM
To stand down in September according to a club text. The summer of change continues.

Kojock
17-08-2012, 07:08 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120817/board-update_2262950_2889828

Captain Trips
17-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Good hopefully Rod to follow.

matty_f
17-08-2012, 07:20 PM
A very interesting development and with Fife already having left I wonder if the club will take a new direction.

I have to say though that I've been really impressed with Scott in the limited dealings I've had with him and I'm sorry to see him go.

Hiber-nation
17-08-2012, 07:23 PM
More good news. The club needs fresh ideas.

Baldy Foghorn
17-08-2012, 07:23 PM
A very interesting development and with Fife already having left I wonder if the club will take a new direction.

I have to say though that I've been really impressed with Scott in the limited dealings I've had with him and I'm sorry to see him go.

I have to be on the other side of the fence Matty, and say I have been very unimpressed with him....

Col2
17-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Facts are facts matty. Overseen a disastrous period on the park, a greater divide with the supporters, very few imaginative player signings, questionable scouting network and stagnating youth set up. Comes over impressive and a really nice guy but he has failed on mostly every level.

Real opportunity to get it right now. Appt a proper football Chief Exec who can conduct a route and branch review and put in place a vastly improved and sustainable model which at the same time gets every Hibs supporter to buy into.

GoldenEagle
17-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I hope a request is currently being made to either Gordon Strachan or John Collins to take that role.

Saorsa
17-08-2012, 07:31 PM
More good news. The club needs fresh ideas.just ideas, any ideas, would be and improvement on him

3pm
17-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Stay classy Scott Lindsay.

Scooter
17-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Scott is the only decent one that was there

bingo70
17-08-2012, 07:48 PM
just ideas, any ideas, would be and improvement on him

What do you mean?

There was a statement on the website and then there was er a statement on the website then after that someone came up with the idea of em a statement on the website.

iHIBS
17-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Good hopefully Rod to follow.

Watch what you wish for!!!!

Billy Whizz
17-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Strange to have an announcement late on a Friday night?

Spike Mandela
17-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Scott was a nice fellow and keen to engage with supporters, always seemed hard working and professional when I met him.

The part of his remit that perhaps was wanting, was his responsibility for the football side for Hibs which has been on the slide for a few years. perhaps a new person with fresh ideas, perhaps from a football background could reinvigorate Hibs.

Beefster
17-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Good news for the long-term future of Hibs. Scott Lindsay was never going to get us to where we need to be in all areas of the club. Let's hope that the Board (i.e. Rodders) recruit a CEO with drive, creativity and a bit of inspiration for his troops. They need someone with some sort of track record.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that the likes of John Collins or Gordon Strachan are the men to increase turnover, maximise corporate money, get new ideas and marketing strategies into the company and get the football club running effectively though.

Captain Trips
17-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Watch what you wish for!!!!

Yeah right, im just loving the manger failings and relegation battles it is just brill.

down-the-slope
17-08-2012, 08:48 PM
pretty disappointed - found him approachable and willing to listen to ideas. i think he has suffered due to a whole range of circumsatnces some management made and some external that must have made things very difficult.

Pretty difficult to have family life with the hours he puts in, and the reduction in club staff and management mean the work load and pressure has increased significantly.

As far as LWT group is concerned having developed a relationship with Fife and then after his leaving Scott both who saw engaging with support as important its frustrating to think we have to start again....

Wonder if the late announcement was due to leak / press tomorrow?

iHIBS
17-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah right, im just loving the manger failings and relegation battles it is just brill.

Agreed, me neither, but imho there's a hell of a lot worse out there!!!!!

AL-Qaholik
17-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Reports on Twitter that he's leaving the club.

AL-Qaholik
17-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Ah, didn't spot the other thread already running...

Admins feel free to delete this one.

DaveF
17-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I think its a good move for the club, but I'm disappointed for SL on a personal level. He spoke at an LWT meeting and I think he was genuinely hurt that the general feeling of the support was that him and his ilk didn't care about the cup final and he looked a bit haunted and perhaps taken aback at the level of anger directed at those running the club.

Just my opinion btw. He might nit give a **** in real life :greengrin

Beefster
17-08-2012, 09:45 PM
pretty disappointed - found him approachable and willing to listen to ideas. i think he has suffered due to a whole range of circumsatnces some management made and some external that must have made things very difficult.

Pretty difficult to have family life with the hours he puts in, and the reduction in club staff and management mean the work load and pressure has increased significantly.

As far as LWT group is concerned having developed a relationship with Fife and then after his leaving Scott both who saw engaging with support as important its frustrating to think we have to start again....

I'm sure he did work hard, was approachable and did have a great relationship with the LWT group but he simply wasn't up to a lot of the demands of the job, I'm afraid.

down-the-slope
17-08-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm sure he did work hard, was approachable and did have a great relationship with the LWT group but he simply wasn't up to a lot of the demands of the job, I'm afraid.

Interested in the specifics of what you know that suggests that

AlbertK86
17-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Does anybody know if he is actually a Hibby

The way he speaks in the quotes saying as a football fan as opposed to Hibs fan it makes me think he isn't.

down-the-slope
17-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I think its a good move for the club, but I'm disappointed for SL on a personal level. He spoke at an LWT meeting and I think he was genuinely hurt that the general feeling of the support was that him and his ilk didn't care about the cup final and he looked a bit haunted and perhaps taken aback at the level of anger directed at those running the club.

Just my opinion btw. He might nit give a **** in real life :greengrin

Think you are right - I get the impression that people thinking he / management had failings was something he accepted, but I think he was upset at the idea that it was felt he / management 'didn't care'....

I do beleive he does (but accept that skills are also required)

down-the-slope
17-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Does anybody know if he is actually a Hibby

The way he speaks in the quotes saying as a football fan as opposed to Hibs fan it makes me think he isn't.

he was brought up as Killie fan - his grandmother being a big infuence. But has become inmmersed in all things Hibs (not sure granny approves) as time has gone on

AlbertK86
17-08-2012, 10:05 PM
he was brought up as Killie fan - his grandmother being a bit infuence. But has become inmmersed in all things Hibs (not sure granny approves) as time has gone on

Dinnae want to fall oot wi the granny !!

Cheers for the info

MagicSwirlingShip
17-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Cant help bit think this late night announcement might signal the end of our transfer window dealings?

stokesmessiah
17-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Cant help bit think this late night announcement might signal the end of our transfer window dealings?

Why would you think that ?

Saorsa
17-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Cant help bit think this late night announcement might signal the end of our transfer window dealings?nae need tae worry, Rod is taking over :wink:

Hibercelona
17-08-2012, 10:26 PM
No shock really.

With attendances dropping more and more over the years changes are inevitable.

We need a fresh new outlook at the club and if that requires old faces out and new fresh faces in (hopefully) then so be it.

We need somebody young in that boardroom with a more modern outlook on football.

Scooter
17-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Scott would be better taking rods seat he would be the better man

Saorsa
17-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Scott is the only decent one that was there

Scott would be better taking rods seat he would be the better manIs that you Scott? I thought you were leaving, no angling for Rod's job

down-the-slope
17-08-2012, 10:43 PM
No shock really.

With attendances dropping more and more over the years changes are inevitable.

We need a fresh new outlook at the club and if that requires old faces out and new fresh faces in (hopefully) then so be it.

We need somebody young in that boardroom with a more modern outlook on football.

he has only been CEO a short time...how old do you think he is?....whats the 'modern outlook' you think is missing? ... genuine questions....?

c31
17-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm afraid its another one of the embarrassment that happened in May thats is away - can only be a good thing....

Hibercelona
17-08-2012, 11:00 PM
he has only been CEO a short time...how old do you think he is?....whats the 'modern outlook' you think is missing? ... genuine questions....?

When I say "young" I don't mean young in a literal sense as in terms of a persons physical age. I'm talking about young as in the way a person thinks. You can be physically old but still have the ability to think as a younger person would. Sorry for not being clearer on that.

We have people in the boardroom that can deal with the business aspect of things. Which is good, because thats vitally important. However, we're missing somebody in that board room with a creative spark. Somebody who understands football from the fans perspective. I just feel that we lack that creative edge that could help us move forward as a club.

Everybody in the boardroom seems to think the same way, but we need somebody in there who can take a different perspective on things, somebody who can offer fresh ideas and help us to move forward as a football club, not just as a business.

Genuine answer. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
17-08-2012, 11:14 PM

However it is "business as usual" for now as Scott continues to lead our efforts to support the Manager through the Transfer Window and into the regular season."

ScottB
17-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Christ there's some nonsense in this thread. John Collins as a Chief Executive!! What exactly do people think that job involves as to imagine he'd have any business, or any interest himself, in taking on such a role?

IWasThere2016
17-08-2012, 11:21 PM
No bad thing - changes from the top are long overdue IMHO.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Good luck to the guy.

Scott seemed a decent sort. However happy enough to see new faces, hopefully with new ideas, brought in.

Future17
17-08-2012, 11:36 PM
I hope a request is currently being made to either Gordon Strachan or John Collins to take that role.

I hope a request is being made to your doctor for another prescription.

Dalkeith Hibee
17-08-2012, 11:47 PM

All the proof I need is he oversaw an absolutely horrendous period for the club. Both on and off the park.

If a manager is in the position he loses his job so I for one am glad theres changes being made at the top. It shows everyone has a responsibility when things arent working

Viva_Palmeiras
17-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Not too sure what to make of it.

I share DTS view - in my short dealings with Scott during listening groups and LWT I found him to be fairly open, a decent bloke who was prepared to listen and debate a point and acnkowledge where things could maybe have been done differently. Yet explain the option taken. I was looking forward to working alongside him and others as part of LWT.

We can't fully know what it's like to work in the constraints these guys work under. I imagine its partly trying to strike the a compromise knowing the right balance is often only an aspiration. Never easy but that's what they're there to do.

I do believe that despite not being a Hibee, Hibs "got under his skin" and he came across as sharing the disappointment of May and " got it". To his credit imo He was there to listen and "take the flack" when we had the initial LWT meeting after the final. Also imo He rightly pointed out "that game could have changed everything".I wish him well in his next role.

Now back to my 10 day old latest "signing" ;)

matty_f
17-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Not too sure what to make of it. I share DTS view - in my short dealings with Scott during listening groups and LWT I found him to be fairly open, a decent bloke who was prepared to listen and debate a point and acnkowledge where things could maybe have been done differently. Yet explain the option taken. I was looking forward to working alongside him and others as part of LWT. We can't fully know what it's like to work in the constraints these guys work under. I imagine its partly trying to strike the a compromise knowing the right balance is often only an aspiration. Never easy but that's what they're there to do. I do believe that despite not being a Hibee, Hibs "got under his skin" and he came across as sharing the disappointment of May and " got it". To his credit imo He was there to listen and "take the flack" when we had the initial LWT meeting after the final. Also imo He rightly pointed out "that game could have changed everything".I wish him well in his next role.Now back to my 10 day old latest "signing" ;)

Well said.

I wonder how we will go about appointing Scott's replacement. I know the press briefing said some duties would be filled inthe meantime by Rod Petrie, but his plan for some time has been to take a back Seat at the club and actually has been doing so for a while.
with Fife. Having left, and now Scott, these are exciting and crucial times at the club.

However unlikely it'll be, here's hoping the next man is everything the club and fans want.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-08-2012, 11:58 PM
When I say "young" I don't mean young in a literal sense as in terms of a persons physical age. I'm talking about young as in the way a person thinks. You can be physically old but still have the ability to think as a younger person would. Sorry for not being clearer on that.

We have people in the boardroom that can deal with the business aspect of things. Which is good, because thats vitally important. However, we're missing somebody in that board room with a creative spark. Somebody who understands football from the fans perspective. I just feel that we lack that creative edge that could help us move forward as a club.

Everybody in the boardroom seems to think the same way, but we need somebody in there who can take a different perspective on things, somebody who can offer fresh ideas and help us to move forward as a football club, not just as a business.

Creative (tricky to define) - I'd like to see plans for fulling the stadium the increased capacity was supposed to give some greater options there. What are you thoughts on creativity. That Danny Boyle doesn't come cheap ;)

Trouble methinks is resources - it's easy to have plans / ideas harder to execute without resources...

hibsbollah
18-08-2012, 12:00 AM
I liked him. He spoke well and more importantly he appeared to be genuine as well as intelligent.

Ultimately though, he's just a suit and tie. In the great scheme of things he's an afterthought when compared to the players, coaches and managers that make a football club.

IWasThere2016
18-08-2012, 12:40 AM
However unlikely it'll be, here's hoping the next man is everything the club and fans want.

Need, not want :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
18-08-2012, 05:26 AM

Intrigued. How does a "younger person" think as opposed to an older person and why is that a good thing? I know what I thought of when I was young. Sex and drugs and rock and roll and watching Hibs. Not sure how this would be translated to running a football team. Unless of course the mind expanding drugs could have been to better use.

GoldenEagle
18-08-2012, 05:39 AM
Clarification required me thinks..... Was SL not in charge of the football dept right up until Fife left a few weeks back... Medication required for those that think that it's not a role that someone like JC or GS couldn't do in a DoF type role.

RP back doing what he does best with support from the other board of directors on the finance side of things. Perhaps a fans rep on the board to re-engage the support.

sven nil
18-08-2012, 06:15 AM
he was brought up as Killie fan - his grandmother being a big infuence. But has become inmmersed in all things Hibs (not sure granny approves) as time has gone onHow old is his granny?he would have had to answer this question to get the job.the club has never been the same since this lot got control!!!!!.

Beefster
18-08-2012, 06:49 AM

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?242435-Message-for-Farmer-and-Petrie-(merged)&p=3317075&highlight=#post3317075

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?242769-missed-opportunity&p=3319332&highlight=#post3319332

That's for starters. Things have been allowed to slide at the club for years - player recruitment, attendances, turnover/profit, passion for the club and many more. A wee chat and a "I really do care, honest" speech doesn't make his performance any better. An effective CEO drives improvements at every level of the organisation and inspires his employees.

weecounty hibby
18-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Dont know him, never met him but if the company i work for had a set of results like we have had recently board members would have been long gone. As i see it thse guys are there to drive up revenue, increase attendances, provide a budget for the manager to field a succesful side, employ the right personell(managers and players), all of which they have failed in.
New ideas needed from new people i think. They need to get out and look at how German clubs operate and stop looking at the failed model of the OF and the false economy in England that is propped up by sky tv.

Onion
18-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Dont know him, never met him but if the company i work for had a set of results like we have had recently board members would have been long gone. As i see it thse guys are there to drive up revenue, increase attendances, provide a budget for the manager to field a succesful side, employ the right personell(managers and players), all of which they have failed in.
New ideas needed from new people i think. They need to get out and look at how German clubs operate and stop looking at the failed model of the OF and the false economy in England that is propped up by sky tv.

100% spot on.

Saorsa
18-08-2012, 08:17 AM
New ideas needed from new people i think. They need to get out and look at how German clubs operate and stop looking at the failed model of the OF and the false economy in England that is propped up by sky tv.:top marks

Golden Bear
18-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Sometimes it's a case of better the devil you know and time will tell whether that is the case.

:rolleyes:

Famous5forever
18-08-2012, 08:23 AM
To stand down in September according to a club text. The summer of change continues.

Another one bites the dust whilst the Don Teflon lives to fight another day:confused:

Saorsa
18-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Another one bites the dust whilst the Don Teflon lives to fight another day:confused:http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/teflon1.jpg

Golden Bear
18-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Wouldn't at all be surprised to find that Sir TF is the instrument of change that appears to be blowing through ER right now.

Baldy Foghorn
18-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Christ there's some nonsense in this thread. John Collins as a Chief Executive!! What exactly do people think that job involves as to imagine he'd have any business, or any interest himself, in taking on such a role?

:agree::agree:

I think some are confusing Chief Exec role, with that of Director of Football

Golden Bear
18-08-2012, 08:28 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/teflon1.jpg

:greengrin

You can dig them up Dan!

Baldy Foghorn
18-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Never forget SL telling us how he was hurting just as much as the fans after the Cup Final debacle......No way in hell could he be hurting as much as us....Some of us have been following the club for decades, whilst he was merely a custodian.....

CallumLaidlaw
18-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Never forget SL telling us how he was hurting just as much as the fans after the Cup Final debacle......No way in hell could he be hurting as much as us....Some of us have been following the club for decades, whilst he was merely a custodian.....

Depends how big his bonus would have been if we'd won ;-)

hibsbollah
18-08-2012, 09:08 AM

I think the suits had all been told by the fans that the board didnt care, and that they had no emotion. Hence Lindsay and a few others felt the need to bang on about how upset they were 'just ask my wife and kids how upset i was'.

Personally, i dont expect him to be hurting as much as us. I dont care if he didnt hurt at all. His job is to be a dispassionate manager of the business, not a fan in a suit.

Chuck Rhoades
18-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Some name droppers on here like. Having also attended a LWT meeting im delighted he's stepping down.

Chuck Rhoades
18-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Exactly. What a silly ****ing statement to make too. Was all down hill from there with him.

matty_f
18-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Exactly. What a silly ****ing statement to make too. Was all down hill from there with him.

He said he hurt after the final and pointed out that all the hours they/he put in at the club were to see the club being successful. He also acknowledged that there was no way he could have hurt as much as those of us who have the club in our blood. I don't see what was bring or unrealistic in that statement.

As for name droppers, have a word.

down-the-slope
18-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Some good and valid points on this thread - and some total nonsense .net at its finest :greengrin

He has only been CEO for around 6 months, and it him who has overseen the transfer dealings that have brought us what appears to be significanty better than recent years - remember him saying that McPake signing had been toughest ever to get done.

Should the board collectively be responsible for failings? - of course they should and thats been acknowleged on many occasions.

Where I have the greatest of respect for Scott was him being only member of board at the first meeting we had after the 19th of May and putting himself forward for an open Q&A with around 20 mostly critical supporters - others on this thread will confirm he got a far from easy time and it was pretty full and frank exchange of views. He acknowledged where he thought there had been failings and defended where he though otherwise. That has opened the way for other board members and management to start being as open as we try to move our club forward.

Not going to be specific. but our club led by Scott has been swimming against the tide on certain issues in terms of the administration of the game as they felt certain desicions were not in our clubs best interest. That is not an easy place to be and I hope we don't lose that drive with someone new.

Mary Hinge
18-08-2012, 10:04 AM
How old is his granny?he would have had to answer this question to get the job.the club has never been the same since this lot got control!!!!!.

:tsk tsk:

Beefster
18-08-2012, 10:10 AM

He has only been CEO for around 6 months, and it him who has overseen the transfer dealings that have brought us what appears to be significanty better than recent years - remember him saying that McPake signing had been toughest ever to get done.

Not going to be specific

He was CEO for a couple of years before Hyland too.

There's a danger of you becoming a mouthpiece for the club IMHO. Like it or not, having a chat with certain individuals and hearing them justify their performance doesn't reverse the fact that their performance has been woeful.

Saorsa
18-08-2012, 10:13 AM

You can dig them up Dan!:greengrin

I made that one efter the Calderwood sweetiegate fiasco. Anyone who could have nailed their colours so firmly tae the mast of that particular sinking ship and still come out with 100% backing from the clubs owner must indeed be teflon.

matty_f
18-08-2012, 10:36 AM

There's a danger of you becoming a mouthpiece for the club IMHO. Like it or not, having a chat with certain individuals and hearing them justify their performance doesn't reverse the fact that their performance has been woeful.

Totally ridiculous statement about dts becoming a mouthpiece for the club. Ignorant, ill-informed and hugely disrespectful.

If you have issues with the lwt group then why not get involved and you'll see first hand the amount of criticism and differing opinions towards the board.

Sniping at someone who has actually bothered his erse just makes you look petty, imho.

ahibby
18-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Scott has been in place during a club slump in form and as I've said many times we need to see a change at the top rather than just sacking managers all the time. Time will tell if this makes any positive difference and there are no guarantees. I have thought and said that I thought Scott was part of our problem but I know for sure that he is one professional guy. In another role somewhere else I hope that his approach and professionalism will lead to success for him. Take my word for it those who haven't had dealings with him, he is one hundred percent focussed and professional. It's just that sometimes people aren't right for organisations and vice versa. I wish him the highest success for his future. I'm a wee bit sad that he is going at a time when we might just see a turn around in the clubs form but maybe he has had enough pelters from people like me.

down-the-slope
18-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Are you being accidentally or deliberatly selective.....:rolleyes:

Beefster
18-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Totally ridiculous statement about dts becoming a mouthpiece for the club. Ignorant, ill-informed and hugely disrespectful.

If you have issues with the lwt group then why not get involved and you'll see first hand the amount of criticism and differing opinions towards the board.

Sniping at someone who has actually bothered his erse just makes you look petty, imho.

As I've explained already on numerous occasions, I've tried to suggest things to/help Hibs in the past and was treated like an irritant. I'm afraid that I won't be doing it again.

I have no issue with the LWT group (aside from some "well, I've been told something so I know but I can't say" stuff) and I think the 'phone the fans' initiative was awesome. I do think that some of the group need to be careful that they don't become an extention of the club's PR/rebuttal response though and I don't see why that shouldn't be a valid debating point - it's not like I've ever thrown the accusation about before or was overly hostile in making the suggestion.

If you see that as ignorant, ill-informed or disrespectful, I'd suggest that you need a thicker skin and maybe to try and defend the position rather than throwing about meaningless phrases that don't really address anything.

matty_f
18-08-2012, 10:52 AM
As I've explained already on numerous occasions, I've tried to suggest things to/help Hibs in the past and was treated like an irritant. I'm afraid that I won't be doing it again.

I have no issue with the LWT group (aside from some "well, I've been told something so I know but I can't say" stuff) and I think the 'phone the fans' initiative was awesome. I do think that some of the group need to be careful that they don't become an extention of the club's PR/rebuttal response though and I don't see why that shouldn't be a valid debating point - it's not like I've ever thrown the accusation about before or was overly hostile in making the suggestion.

If you see that as ignorant, ill-informed or disrespectful, I'd suggest that you need a thicker skin and maybe to try and defend the position rather than throwing about meaningless phrases that don't really address anything.

My skin is thick enough thanks. Your comment was ignorant and ill informed because it does not take into account any circumstances where information can't be shared for whatever reason and ignores the fact that lots of information has been communicated as much as is practical.
And it's disrespectful because it takes away from the fact that down the slope is well capable of posting his own opinions without being spoonfed from the club's PR machine.

Chuck Rhoades
18-08-2012, 11:00 AM

You are not the first and won't be the last person to say that. LWT guys work hard, but some of the replies they give are nonsense.

My question to them would be, why are they so protective of a board which has failed in their roles since 2007?

Beefster
18-08-2012, 11:17 AM
where information can't be shared for whatever reason and ignores the fact that lots of information has been communicated as much as is practical.

Trust me, I'm well aware that some information is confidential/sensitive and can't be made public. I don't think that was my complaint.

I get told something sensitive at work or even something that is meant to justify why a particularly unpopular decision is made. I don't then nip out the meeting and tell everyone I know but I can't say.

matty_f
18-08-2012, 11:19 AM
You are not the first and won't be the last person to say that. LWT guys work hard, but some of the replies they give are nonsense.

My question to them would be, why are they so protective of a board which has failed in their roles since 2007?

Which ones are nonsense Ross, surely it's about opinion, no?

FWIW I have backed many decisns that the board have made over the years and I've disagreed with others. I think the biggest mistakes have been the managerial appointments but I also say that with hindsight as each manager came with good reasons for appointing them.

Don Giovanni
18-08-2012, 11:23 AM

:agree:

Up until the recent reshuffle (Fire Hylands departure) Scott Lyndsay had been in charge of "the footballing department" (I forget his actual title). From a position of strength in 2007 we have seen the footballing department deteriorate, especially in the past 2.5years, following a succession of poor managerial appointments and ill-thought player recruitment - in particular the decision to appoint, then fight to keep Calderwood was a massive error of judgement.

IMO the continuing poor performance of the footballing department has adversely affected the financial performance of the club. As a whole then, the club has performed poorly in recent years (downward spiral, decreasing circles etc.) which has its roots in the decisions made by the board and in particular those responsible for looking after the football side of things.

At the time of FH leaving I felt it was the wrong guy departing the board, so I can't said I'm saddened at this news.

I'm sure like everyone else on here we are all hoping that the decline has been arrested and we can start to rebuild the club and move forward.

GGTTH

hongkonghibee
18-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Im happy to see changes at the Board level.
Both Fife and Scott were hard working and "professional", and im sure would be great Directors of businesses generally. But this is Hibernian Football Club, and both failed to grasp the emotional aspect of supporting this great club. For me they were never very inspirational in their views, but instead were good bureucrats.. They failed to engage the supporters in their vision for the future progress of Hibs. Any new director appointed needs to have better skills in engaging the supporters and inspiring us to feel more part of the Club and to inspire the next generations to share our excitement of watching the men in green perform at our spiritual home Easter Road..I"d like to see more volunteers recruited from within our support, catering being bought back in house with a more Hibernian theme,
the official site taken back in-house with a more friendly unique Hibernian feel to it.
Lots needs changing at the Club to get our potentially huge support back on-side IMO, and not just a winning team (though obviously that would help) and I hope the next directors will be more inspirational leaders.

Chibs
18-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Totally agree mate.Do not know what a CEO does or his remit All I care about is the team on the park

WhileTheChief..
18-08-2012, 12:42 PM
This can't be right. I've read plenty times on here that there is no one else out there who could possibly run Hibs :confused:

Don't know if I believe that both he and Hyland decided to leave of their own accord, I kinda hope that STF is putting RP under pressure to sort things out.

jacomo
18-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Up until the recent reshuffle (Fire Hylands departure) Scott Lyndsay had been in charge of "the footballing department" (I forget his actual title). From a position of strength in 2007 we have seen the footballing department deteriorate, especially in the past 2.5years, following a succession of poor managerial appointments and ill-thought player recruitment - in particular the decision to appoint, then fight to keep Calderwood was a massive error of judgement.

IMO the continuing poor performance of the footballing department has adversely affected the financial performance of the club. As a whole then, the club has performed poorly in recent years (downward spiral, decreasing circles etc.) which has its roots in the decisions made by the board and in particular those responsible for looking after the football side of things.

At the time of FH leaving I felt it was the wrong guy departing the board, so I can't said I'm saddened at this news.

I'm sure like everyone else on here we are all hoping that the decline has been arrested and we can start to rebuild the club and move forward.

GGTTH

This is the bottom line for me. Since Christmas 2007 Hibs have enjoyed some of the best training facilities in Scotland, and a budget supposedly in the top 6 in the country. Yet we have miserably under performed during most of that time, and things have been getting steadily worse.

I've never met SL, I'm sure he cares for club, but his record as 'head of footballing dept' has been little short of disastrous. I thought he should go this summer, and I think this is the right decision.

Northernhibee
18-08-2012, 03:02 PM
As I pointed out before, I think we need to take post 19th May as a new era for the club. Call an end to chasing the recreation of Mowbray's dream team. There's no better point to start over.

Let's get someone with entirely new ideas, a fresh outlook and a vision to go with Pat Fenlon's for the clu and create a new era for Hibs, a new dream team of youngsters and give Hibernian F.C. a new, fresh presence and place within the Leith community.

All the best SL, hope you do well whatever you do next.

Cropley10
18-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't at all be surprised to find that Sir TF is the instrument of change that appears to be blowing through ER right now.

:hmmm:

This can't be right. I've read plenty times on here that there is no one else out there who could possibly run Hibs :confused:

Don't know if I believe that both he and Hyland decided to leave of their own accord, I kinda hope that STF is putting RP under pressure to sort things out.

Will Rod take back his salary and Chief Exec role? :devil:

Another one bites the dust whilst the Don Teflon lives to fight another day:confused:

Let's wait and see...

WHUHibs
18-08-2012, 08:53 PM

U:top marks

ahibby
19-08-2012, 09:32 AM

You are partly right, STF has blasted SL, for the clubs poor standard at least on one occassion. As SL was responsible for the footballing side of things STF is a person who will go direct to the source and not necessarily go through the chairman. Not to say that he didn't discuss things with RP afterwards. STF goes around individual Farmer Tyre garages too and talks to the folk/managers on the floor. and if he isn't happy he lets them know. That's how he works.

truehibernian
19-08-2012, 10:03 AM
You are partly right, STF has blasted SL, for the clubs poor standard at least on one occassion. As SL was responsible for the footballing side of things STF is a person who will go direct to the source and not necessarily go through the chairman. Not to say that he didn't discuss things with RP afterwards. STF goes around individual Farmer Tyre garages too and talks to the folk/managers on the floor. and if he isn't happy he lets them know. That's how he works.

He also blocks out constructive criticism and asks you to buy a season ticket if you want to see things improve......has done that to me twice.

Hibs need complete overhaul at the top and fresh, vibrant, innovative ideas. It's what Hibernian were known for in Scottish football and we rested on our laurels. For me I hope there was good reason for inviting Brian Houston onto the board.

The board were stale and causing a divide, not that they anticipated that of course. And results were tragic. Axe had to fall.

MagicSwirlingShip
20-08-2012, 09:51 PM
However it is "business as usual" for now as Scott continues to lead our efforts to support the Manager through the Transfer Window and into the regular season."

Fair point well made. I Hadn't fully read the Hibs statement before posting. Here's hoping for some more signings before the end of the window, a natural winger would be top of my list.

Ross4356
21-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Has it not been suggested before that we have to many directors/executives for the size of the business anyway and that loosing Scott and Fyfe and promoting from within would be around the right number?

ahibby
21-08-2012, 01:28 PM
He also blocks out constructive criticism and asks you to buy a season ticket if you want to see things improve......has done that to me twice.

Hibs need complete overhaul at the top and fresh, vibrant, innovative ideas. It's what Hibernian were known for in Scottish football and we rested on our laurels. For me I hope there was good reason for inviting Brian Houston onto the board.

The board were stale and causing a divide, not that they anticipated that of course. And results were tragic. Axe had to fall.

Is there really such a thing as constructive criticism. Surely if it is constructive then it would be a suggestion rather than a criticism no? I'm nit picking there I know, and I agree that in the nineties he was probably right to tell us to back the team by buying season tickets. This time around though I do feel its a tad unfair to ask the fans to fork out to improve things when the Board has been responsible for a large number of fans deserting. Not just that but it seems unfair that over recent seasons we have put up with some youngsters coming through the ranks, talented youngsters but non the less youngsters only to see them sold at a good price. Then the money coming in from that hasn't been re-invested in the team. That seems to be the model. Only income from gates and season tickets are used for the team, anything else such as income from player sales is used for infrastructure, or debt repayment. I'm not 100% sure I'm in favour of that, but I'm not running the club, thank god.

happiehibbie
22-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I have a wee idea here why dont the board invite someone onto the board / CEO who has some money to invest IE 500K for a place on the board then you would want to see results so you get a return on the investment

no one drives a business like the person who has paid the wages out of tyhere own pockets

CropleyWasGod
22-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I have a wee idea here why dont the board invite someone onto the board / CEO who has some money to invest IE 500K for a place on the board then you would want to see results so you get a return on the investment

no one drives a business like the person who has paid the wages out of tyhere own pockets

Whilst that is often true in most businesses, football is not most businesses. I am not pouring cold water on your idea by any means, but it's the old argument that no-one makes money out of football unless you're a. a player b. an agent or c. Fergus McCann.

Gettin' Auld
22-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Whilst that is often true in most businesses, football is not most businesses. I am not pouring cold water on your idea by any means, but it's the old argument that no-one makes money out of football unless you're a. a player b. an agent or c. Fergus McCann.

I wonder what 'the bunnet' is up to these days?

Famous5forever
22-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Probably the same as Don Teflon counting his money placing it in neat piles on the floor and once finished he starts all over again.

Baldy Foghorn
22-08-2012, 05:08 PM

I heard he was away getting corrective surgery on his coupon, as due to the recent Meerkat adverts, he was being wrongly chased for autographs.....

WindyMiller
22-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I heard he was away getting corrective surgery on his coupon, as due to the recent Meerkat adverts, he was being wrongly chased for autographs.....

http://www.thecelticnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fergus.jpg

Baldy Foghorn
22-08-2012, 05:31 PM

http://www.thecelticnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fergus.jpg

Simples :greengrin

StevieC
23-08-2012, 09:39 AM
There's a danger of you becoming a mouthpiece for the club IMHO.

LWT guys work hard, but some of the replies they give are nonsense.

Opinions eh.
You are right though, some of the LWT guys work hard and a lot of them have the sort of business skills that the club really needs at this moment in time. They have the option of making suggestions and giving opinions that some might like and others may disagree with, or doing nothing.
The bottom line though, is that they are giving up their free time for the benefit of the club with the hope that it might help improve things.
Should that include personal abuse on message boards .. I really don't think so.

I don't think "protective" is the right word. I have seen the work load of Hibernian staff increase year in year out as staffing has been trimmed, and I have to say that I really wouldn't fancy the amount of responsibility that has been forced upon some.
I suspect that the ones you claim are being "protective" are just recognising what those in charge are actually doing and occassionally lauding the positive aspects of what they do rather than simply highlighting all the negatives.

As has been mentioned though, the LWT is an opportunity for supporters to actually move away from their PC and do something constructive. You either do or you don't, it's personal choice, but either way it's an initiative that should be applauded not criticised.

Beefster
23-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Should that include personal abuse on message boards .. I really don't think so.

it's personal choice, but either way it's an initiative that should be applauded not criticised.

'Personal abuse'? Where's the personal abuse exactly?

You're right, it is personal choice about whether to get involved in this latest initiative. I've already explained my reasoning for not joining this particular initiative on more occasions than I feel necessary. Are you saying that we should only be applauding whatever LWT do or should we be able to discuss things like adults? I applauded the 'phone a lapsed supporter' initiative and I don't actually think I have criticised anything that the group have done. If I had joined this initiative though, I wouldn't have been naïve enough to think that folk wouldn't have an opinion on it.

There's a tendency to try and stifle any sort of the debate on certain things on here, which sort of defeats the purpose of the forum, I'd have thought.

StevieC
23-08-2012, 10:30 AM
'Personal abuse'? Where's the personal abuse exactly?

"mouthpiece" .. IMHO

You're right, it is personal choice about whether to get involved in this latest initiative. I've already explained my reasoning for not joining this particular initiative on more occasions than I feel necessary.

I've not read them, but actually don't see a need to explain any sort of reasoning. As I've said, you either do or you don't, no-one should be "judged" either way.

Are you saying that we should only be applauding whatever LWT do or should we be able to discuss things like adults?

Discussing like adults is always a bonus, a courtesy that is quite often lost on message boards.

I applauded the 'phone a lapsed supporter' initiative and I don't actually think I have criticised anything that the group have done.

I don't think I said that you had, although I've not really read through the thread and only picked up on one or two posts.

If I had joined this initiative though, I wouldn't have been naïve enough to think that folk wouldn't have an opinion on it.

Who is being naive? I was under the impression that the whole point of the initiative was to extract opinions (and ideas), as well as assemble a group that would take those opinions to the next stage?
You're right to an extent though, whenever someone tries to take the initiative on a way forward there is always someone lurking in the background ready to put them down. Fair play to those at LWT that are putting their heads above the parapet, at this stage I think that accepting the status quo is a poor option.

There's a tendency to try and stifle any sort of the debate on certain things on here, which sort of defeats the purpose of the forum, I'd have thought.

I wouldn't necessarily say there's a tendancy to stifle debate, I'd say there's a tendency for the more "opinionated" amongst us to "promote" their opinions as the correct one. This often leads, IMHO, to petty sniping.

Chuck Rhoades
23-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Opinions eh.
You are right though, some of the LWT guys work hard and a lot of them have the sort of business skills that the club really needs at this moment in time. They have the option of making suggestions and giving opinions that some might like and others may disagree with, or doing nothing.
The bottom line though, is that they are giving up their free time for the benefit of the club with the hope that it might help improve things.

I don't think "protective" is the right word. I have seen the work load of Hibernian staff increase year in year out as staffing has been trimmed, and I have to say that I really wouldn't fancy the amount of responsibility that has been forced upon some.
I suspect that the ones you claim are being "protective" are just recognising what those in charge are actually doing and occassionally lauding the positive aspects of what they do rather than simply highlighting all the negatives.

As has been mentioned though, the LWT is an opportunity for supporters to actually move away from their PC and do something constructive. You either do or you don't, it's personal choice, but either way it's an initiative that should be applauded not criticised.

Cheers Stevie. LWT on a whole has been very successful and will continue to achieve as time goes by. (FYI - I am part of the Matchday group)

What other posters have said, on various threads, is that certain individuals within LWT are in danger of damaging the reputation of the LWT group by becoming spokesman like.

It is a great initiative and I do applaud it. I just hope those involved treat it with caution.

All IMO of course.

Beefster
23-08-2012, 11:24 AM
whenever someone tries to take the initiative on a way forward there is always someone lurking in the background ready to put them down

I think most folk are pragmatists. Praise when it's considered to be deserved, criticise if it's considered necessary and not really care either way most of the time.

I almost agree with you in one respect though - the status quo is a shambles.

WHUHibs
23-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I think it's criminal for posters who criticise members of the group who are trying to assist the club in trying times.

I am no supporter of the board previously and indeed was heavily involved in hoh. That time they brought the current pr company to try and combat the poor press they had. The club realised that thy need help and made an open plea for anyone with business skills or enthusiasm to try and assist the club.

I for what it's worth run a business more than 20 times hibs turnover and wanted to offer my help by looking how additional income streams could be found to help drive up revenue without adding cost. I work hard, away from home all week but got involved anyway. I have found the club very open and appreciative of the help by anyone who wants to get involved. If they ignored advice, wasted our time then I would be the first o go crazy but they have not. If the board want to find solutions then we must all stick together.

I can't be bothered reading every post but if you want to critise me or anyone that is trying to help our club then get involved and be positive. Some people find it easier to sit back and complain,,,that's there right but hardly constructive.

You can pm me if you want to get involved in sales and marketing with ideas or help..

I'm standing up for the team I love, not for the board but I do have admiration for some of them and certainly the guys who are working day to day.

GGTTH

keithkeith
23-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I think it's criminal for posters who criticise members of the group who are trying to assist the club in trying times.

I am no supporter of the board previously and indeed was heavily involved in hoh. That time they brought the current pr company to try and combat the poor press they had. The club realised that thy need help and made an open plea for anyone with business skills or enthusiasm to try and assist the club.

I for what it's worth run a business more than 20 times hibs turnover and wanted to offer my help by looking how additional income streams could be found to help drive up revenue without adding cost. I work hard, away from home all week but got involved anyway. I have found the club very open and appreciative of the help by anyone who wants to get involved. If they ignored advice, wasted our time then I would be the first o go crazy but they have not. If the board want to find solutions then we must all stick together.

I can't be bothered reading every post but if you want to critise me or anyone that is trying to help our club then get involved and be positive. Some people find it easier to sit back and complain,,,that's there right but hardly constructive.

You can pm me if you want to get involved in sales and marketing with ideas or help..

I'm standing up for the team I love, not for the board but I do have admiration for some of them and certainly the guys who are working day to day.

GGTTH

^^ This ^^ Good post!