PDA

View Full Version : A new era for Hibs

Northernhibee
17-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I've been thinking recently that in many ways this season represents a new era for our club in that we seem to have a manager who finally has a strong vision of how we should play and how we should operate as a club and is pushing that through just now.

I think that one positive we can take from 19th May is that it sent a message to the board that we couldn't go on with the model we had before - a squad that compared to many other SPL teams was quite large by comparison but devoid of real quality; players like Matt Thornhill and Richie Towell were never going to do anything for us and were a waste of a wage. As that awful Florence & The Machine song goes, "It's always darkest before the dawn". It's positive that we've not brought back an old player this transfer window, we're finally stopped holding on to the past and the League Cup.

I also think it's taken the Edinburgh derby into a new era; Hearts are finally having to spend within their means and we're beginning to see them have to play a few youngsters. It's a far more fair battle and it'll lead to more evenly matched derbies, I do believe that we'll see another Edinburgh final before too long. When my Jambo mate reminds me of 19th May I remind him that now they've been forced to chuck so many first team players we're going to see derbies that aren't the equivalent of betting on a two sided coin, and that we'll be looking to go on an unbeaten run of our own.

What PF appears to be doing is having a smaller squad with more quality build in; Brown and Stack were much of a muchness, Williams and Antell has a mentor and understudy feel to it. Antell could well get a few games this season and with a bold, communicative keeper in Big Ben he'll learn a lot. Spoony, Stevenson, Booth, Hanlon, Smith, Caldwell, Handling, Stanton, Sparky and Doyle are all players who should benefit from the extra time offered by the likes of McPake, Deegan, Kuqi, Clancy and Maybury and we should see their games improve in time.

I was interested in seeing what other fellow Hibees feel about going forward, what they'd want to see from the team and the pitfalls we need to avoid.

I'd say

1 - We need to start beating Hearts on a regular basis.

Now that they're having to spend within their means, we have absolutely no excuse whatsoever if they keep beating us. We need to start winning again and by many means we were unlucky not to beat them last weekend. In this new era of Hibs vs Hearts we need to establish ourselves as the 'big team'. Gain bragging rights.

2 - Start playing football on the deck.

PF has shown signs that this will happen. Hoofball is eye bleeding and won't win back fans.

3 - Recruit new, young Hibees both as players and supporters.

I suggested free or heavily subsidised 'street football' sessions for youngsters in the Leith area. Teach kids the 'new Hibs way' of playing - how to beat a man, how to be creative in a small space, how to show some flair. Get a first teamer along every so often to attract numbers; "Train with Ivan Sproule", have competitions and get someone like Lewis to judge them. Use this to scout young talent, sign up the best and create that affection and connection to the club for those who won't play for us. If the kids want to go, at least one parent goes. All goes towards filling our ground.

4 - Make Easter Road a fortress

Winning away games doesn't shift season tickets. We need to win a lot more games at home to make a ST far more appealing.
What are everyone elses views?

scott7_0(Prague)
17-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I've been thinking recently that in many ways this season represents a new era for our club in that we seem to have a manager who finally has a strong vision of how we should play and how we should operate as a club and is pushing that through just now.

I think that one positive we can take from 19th May is that it sent a message to the board that we couldn't go on with the model we had before - a squad that compared to many other SPL teams was quite large by comparison but devoid of real quality; players like Matt Thornhill and Richie Towell were never going to do anything for us and were a waste of a wage. As that awful Florence & The Machine song goes, "It's always darkest before the dawn". It's positive that we've not brought back an old player this transfer window, we're finally stopped holding on to the past and the League Cup.

I also think it's taken the Edinburgh derby into a new era; Hearts are finally having to spend within their means and we're beginning to see them have to play a few youngsters. It's a far more fair battle and it'll lead to more evenly matched derbies, I do believe that we'll see another Edinburgh final before too long. When my Jambo mate reminds me of 19th May I remind him that now they've been forced to chuck so many first team players we're going to see derbies that aren't the equivalent of betting on a two sided coin, and that we'll be looking to go on an unbeaten run of our own.

What PF appears to be doing is having a smaller squad with more quality build in; Brown and Stack were much of a muchness, Williams and Antell has a mentor and understudy feel to it. Antell could well get a few games this season and with a bold, communicative keeper in Big Ben he'll learn a lot. Spoony, Stevenson, Booth, Hanlon, Smith, Caldwell, Handling, Stanton, Sparky and Doyle are all players who should benefit from the extra time offered by the likes of McPake, Deegan, Kuqi, Clancy and Maybury and we should see their games improve in time.

I was interested in seeing what other fellow Hibees feel about going forward, what they'd want to see from the team and the pitfalls we need to avoid.

I'd say

Now that they're having to spend within their means, we have absolutely no excuse whatsoever if they keep beating us. We need to start winning again and by many means we were unlucky not to beat them last weekend. In this new era of Hibs vs Hearts we need to establish ourselves as the 'big team'. Gain bragging rights.

PF has shown signs that this will happen. Hoofball is eye bleeding and won't win back fans.

I suggested free or heavily subsidised 'street football' sessions for youngsters in the Leith area. Teach kids the 'new Hibs way' of playing - how to beat a man, how to be creative in a small space, how to show some flair. Get a first teamer along every so often to attract numbers; "Train with Ivan Sproule", have competitions and get someone like Lewis to judge them. Use this to scout young talent, sign up the best and create that affection and connection to the club for those who won't play for us. If the kids want to go, at least one parent goes. All goes towards filling our ground.

Winning away games doesn't shift season tickets. We need to win a lot more games at home to make a ST far more appealing.

Aberdeen must have some Friday afternoon happy hour pubs...... More of the happy juice please. :greengrin

Brightside
17-08-2012, 02:23 PM
"Train with Ivan Sproule" Christ - poor little blighters

Northernhibee
17-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Aberdeen must have some Friday afternoon happy hour pubs...... More of the happy juice please. :greengrin

:greengrin

For the first time in ages, I genuinely believe that we're moving forward as a club. PF has a definite vision, I never saw that from CC, Yogi, even Mixu.

We've been needing someone to look forward as opposed to trying to relive what we did under Mowbray, without a doubt.

Lucius Apuleius
17-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Prague must have some anti-depressant factories. None for me thanks. :greengrin

Good post Northern.

mcfly
17-08-2012, 02:27 PM

I'd say

Good post lets get right behind the team and manager. Sunday showed us we do have fight and desire to win in this team

EdinMike
17-08-2012, 02:27 PM

I think that one positive we can take from 19th May is that it sent a message to the board that we couldn't go on with the model we had before - a squad that compared to many other SPL teams was quite large by comparison but devoid of real quality; players like Matt Thornhill and Richie Towell were never going to do anything for us and were a waste of a wage. As that awful Florence & The Machine song goes, "It's always darkest before the dawn"..........

Actually I think Thomas Fuller coined that phrase... Fuller ? Ricardo... Thomas Sauzee coined that phrase...

Great post man !

HibbyAndy
17-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Good post.

MB62
17-08-2012, 02:32 PM

I'd say

:top marks totally agree with that.

lyonhibs
17-08-2012, 02:36 PM

I'd say

Good post, apart from the highlighted phrase which always makes me recoil a bit. Better teams have failed to play this mythical - as in seen once every 20-30 years - way and I think we should (and I think PF has set his stall out in this way) concentrate on being hard to beat and winning personal battles all over the pitch as opposed to getting dewy eyed over "the Hibs way" - now or otherwise - every time we string more than 3 passes together.

Vault Boy
17-08-2012, 02:45 PM

I'd say

Love it. I'm a massive fan of Paddy, I really hope he is our manager for a long time.

:flag:

matty_f
17-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Contrary to popular belief, the Summer of Change wasn't just empty rhetoric from the club. There is a determination and willingness at all levels of the club to improve and 'rebuild' if you like.

We should and will never be defined by the 19th of May but it is a watershed moment. If anything it's galvanised a section of the support and definitely galvanised the staff at the club. It's not going to happen overnight but it is my firm belief that we have people working at and with the club who can and will bring Hibernian back stronger and bigger than it has been for many years.

Na rurally, actions speak louder than words and there's a long way to go before others are as convinced as I and a few others am.

May 19th will go down as the greatest day in the Yams' history, and nothing we can do will change that. However, it will not go down as the darkest day in our history.

Cabbage_Patch
17-08-2012, 02:55 PM

I'd say

Love your optimism mate, i hope your right. To be honest this season is about building for me. Salvaging some pride after last years disaster. If we make it to the top 6 and have a decent cup run plus beat the jambos bassas a couple times i would be a happy man :greengrin

Stevie Reid
17-08-2012, 03:25 PM

I'd say

Good post, positive vibe with some good points to back it up :aok:

HibeeSince85
17-08-2012, 03:54 PM

I'd say

I like the street football idea alot, and I love your passion mate. You should get yourself along to the supporters forums if you're not already.

GGTTH

Keith_M
17-08-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm personally on a bit of a downer, so can't feel so positive as others.

The reason is that this is the worst thread I've ever seen for people quoting a massive post in full.

Gonnae no dae that!

:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Its a good post mate.

The only thing I would add is that the new era can only work effectively if the owner of the club is willing to be more proactive. We had a good performance against the Yams which has created a bit of optomism, but the truth is that if we had lost and played badly this board would have been in meltdown.

I for one want to see some decent results over the next 5 games or so before I start getting carried away to be honest. There was a huge incentive to give the Yams a game, but the truth is that even then, with a decent display ... we still didnt beat them.

I'm not trying to be negative ..... I just dont want to see the pressure that would have been put on RP and STF die away on the back of one decent game .... STF especially needs to become aware that as owner of the club he has to take some responsibility for its frankly embarrassing on field efforts over the last 4 years.

Captain Trips
17-08-2012, 06:58 PM
There is no new era, we just have a different manager than we had this time last year, heard all this talk from managers including PF on this and that and seen it rarely. PF did well on Sunday but that was by far the exception rather than rule over the last year or so.

A new Era for me are new people from the top making the decisions I have little to no confidence that even if PF did well (I still have serious doubts) that they would **** it up as per usual.

After every rare CC win we had threads like this, lets hope there is actually something in last Sundays performance when we play ST Mirren a team we 100% need to be beating if there is progress.