PDA

View Full Version : Ross C. after Riordan.

Jim44
17-08-2012, 08:10 AM
As it says on the tin.

Tricla
17-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Aye. Heard it on the tranny this morning.

Where will they get the £££ that he'll no doubt demand?

leithsansiro
17-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Hmmm, dunno about this one. Not sure Dingwall has any decent nightclubs....:devil:

Northernhibee
17-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Deek should have been playing a far higher standard of football at this time of his career and he probably knows that.

Hopefully it'll be a good lesson to the likes of Sparky, Caldwell and other young Hibees to stay focused on what you do for a living more often, Deek should have been an EPL striker with finishing like his.

McKenzie
17-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Hmmm, dunno about this one. Not sure Dingwall has any decent nightclubs....:devil:

If it has any its a step up from being barred from every one in Edinburgh

leithsansiro
17-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Hopefully it'll be a good lesson to the likes of Sparky, Caldwell and other young Hibees to stay focused on what you do for a living more often, Deek should have been an EPL striker with finishing like his.

Spot on. The lad has more natural football talent than the vast majority of players in the SPL over the last 10-15 years. Sadly, he has no idea how lucky he is and has made some stupid choices.

.Sean.
17-08-2012, 08:41 AM
He should be at Hibs...

PeterboroHibee
17-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Dont think a club like Ross County would be the worst move for him. They probably wont pay as much as he might like, and like others have said, Im sure earlier on in his career he would have had ambitions for more than the SPL coming into his peak years, but he is where he is. He would probably play most games for County (something he needs to get back to doing), and if he could impress over a season or two, he might actually get that one last good move.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-08-2012, 08:57 AM
I thought I was going to read about Ross Chisholm wanting a square-go with Derek!

I'll get ma coat!

Baldy Foghorn
17-08-2012, 09:21 AM
He should be at Hibs...

WHY:confused:

We have seen time and time again that signing ex-players doesn't work very often.........

Don Giovanni
17-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I thought I was going to read about Ross Chisholm wanting a square-go with Derek!

I'll get ma coat!

Haha. Me tae!

I thought young Caldwell had been running his mouth to the EEN about emulating Desks scoring record!

:idiot:

LeighLoyal
17-08-2012, 09:23 AM
He'd be a good option here, on the left of midfield even.

Judas Iscariot
17-08-2012, 10:10 AM
He should be at Hibs...

:agree:

Good luck to him wherever he ends up :aok:

Beefster
17-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Aye. Heard it on the tranny this morning.

Where will they get the £££ that he'll no doubt demand?

I'm not sure that Riordan is in a position to demand a wage that Ross County can't afford. He's earning nothing, there appears to be no great demand for his services, he reportedly failed to complete a trial because he wasn't fit enough, he's only been contracted for about two months in the last nine and it's unlikely that his last club were paying him anything out of the ordinary.

Phil MaGlass
17-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Deek, it doesnae matter where yir playing yir fitba, just get yir erse back intae gear, get playing and get yir career back on track.

Its a shame tae see talent going tae waste.

Hibercelona
17-08-2012, 10:27 AM
If he gets an offer from any SPL club, he's a very lucky man.

#FromTheCapital
17-08-2012, 10:33 AM
He should go for this, ross county might no offer great wages but they'l be better than what he's on at the moment. And a chance to try and prove he's still got the talent which he used to show most weeks (when he could be arsed:wink:)

hfc rd
17-08-2012, 10:36 AM
If he stayed away from the nightclubs and stopped getting himself into so much fiasco off the pitch, he would definitely be playing down south in the prem.

Such a great talent that has gone to waste. Good luck to him if he does move Ross county.

Famous5forever
17-08-2012, 10:42 AM
He should be at Hibs...

I Agree we should have brought him back Deek will score goals where ever he goes

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2012, 11:00 AM
If he stayed away from the nightclubs and stopped getting himself into so much fiasco off the pitch, he would definitely be playing down south in the prem.

Such a great talent that has gone to waste. Good luck to him if he does move Ross county.

I disagree, even at his best in my opinion he was never strong enough to play in the EPL. A great SPL player though, up there with the best finishers i have seen. :top marks

IWasThere2016
17-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure that Riordan is in a position to demand a wage that Ross County can't afford. He's earning nothing, there appears to be no great demand for his services, he reportedly failed to complete a trial because he wasn't fit enough, he's only been contracted for about two months in the last nine and it's unlikely that his last club were paying him anything out of the ordinary.

He has a number of offers Beefy. What they are worth I have no idea.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Even if he signs for Ross County, there is nothing to suggest that the same old story won't be told. To be on your third or fourth last chance while not yet in your 30's is a sad post-script on a career which should have been glittering.

marinello59
17-08-2012, 11:09 AM
I disagree, even at his best in my opinion he was never strong enough to play in the EPL. A great SPL player though, up there with the best finishers i have seen. :top marks

Ross County would be a decent move for him, wherever he goes though I hope it works out.

Hibercelona
17-08-2012, 11:10 AM

I disagree. :wink:

If Riordan had lead a healthy lifestyle and focused on improving his work effic, he'd have made it somewhere in the EPL.

Top Pans Hibby
17-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Been thinking about this and I wish Hibs would give him one more chance say on a " pay as you play" basis. I know he has made lots of mistakes but what young man hasn't. I would make it abundantly clear to him that one indiscretion off the field and his backside would be oot the door. I know this would be a huge risk but show me a more natural finisher. I realise many will disagree but there is something gnawing away at me on this one. Just got a strange feeling that if he signs for another SPL outfit we will feel it most as he bangs a couple past us.

Hard hat at the ready.

GGTTH

Seany HFC 7-0
17-08-2012, 11:43 AM

I'll get ma coat!

:rotflmao::tee hee:

essexhibee
17-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Too slow for the EPL in his prime IMO. One day he will look back and think what could have been....

Hibernia&Alba
17-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I disagree. :wink:

If Riordan had lead a healthy lifestyle and focused on improving his work effic, he'd have made it somewhere in the EPL.

I think he could have had a chance at one of the smaller EPL clubs, and certainly a Championship club. What's for certain is he shouldn't be in his current situation at this stage of his career. He could have been so much more.

Northernhibee
17-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Been thinking about this and I wish Hibs would give him one more chance say on a " pay as you play" basis. I know he has made lots of mistakes but what young man hasn't. I would make it abundantly clear to him that one indiscretion off the field and his backside would be oot the door. I know this would be a huge risk but show me a more natural finisher. I realise many will disagree but there is something gnawing away at me on this one. Just got a strange feeling that if he signs for another SPL outfit we will feel it most as he bangs a couple past us.

Hard hat at the ready.

GGTTH

It'd be a transfer based on sentiment, and I think the fact that we're talking about Ross County being a good opportunity for him speaks volumes; these days I'm not convinced he'd be anything other than an impact sub for us, sad as it is to say. Sparky's a very talented lad, Kuqi is the target man we need, Doyle has a lot to learn but puts the legwork in and isn't on his way down or plauged by previous mistakes.

Love Deek for his contribution to the club, but don't really think he's got anything to offer us anymore after two good spells with the club. He was a massive part of the old Hibs, PF is putting together the 'new Hibs' and his attitude doesn't fit in with it at all. If the 1-5 game taught us anything, it's we have to start a new era than keep rehashing signings of Sproule, Gaz, Deek, Shiels etc. as it just doesn't work out.

Tin hat as well.

stokesmessiah
17-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Hard hat at the ready.

GGTTH

He is closer to 30 than he is 20.

I loved Deek at Hibs the first time round and i thought he was pretty effective the 2nd time round if a little lazy. If we have to sacrifice someone like him to have 11 snarling beasts on the pitch that are going to run until they drop for Hibs then i am a happy man.

Yes he had the ability to make you get off your seat but he was part of a team that was on the decline and if PF thinks he wants model professionals in then he does not fit into that category.

Judas Iscariot
17-08-2012, 12:18 PM

I loved Deek at Hibs the first time round and i thought he was pretty effective the 2nd time round if a little lazy. If we have to sacrifice someone like him to have 11 snarling beasts on the pitch that are going to run until they drop for Hibs then i am a happy man.

Yes he had the ability to make you get off your seat but he was part of a team that was on the decline and if PF thinks he wants model professionals in then he does not fit into that category.

Sorry but that's an urban myth..

Derek in his 2nd spell with us did more back tracking, covering and defending than he did in the whole of his 1st spell

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Derek in his 2nd spell with us did more back tracking, covering and defending than he did in the whole of his 1st spell

:agree: There were posts nearly every week saying so. I'd prefer it now if he did not come back, he's a real legend in a sea of mediocre ones we seem to elevate to this status these days.

I'd prefer to remember him as the greatest goal scorer at Hibs i have seen since the 70's. :top marks

Paisley Hibby
17-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Riorden has bags of talent but, like so many other gifted Scottish footballers, seems to be as thick as mince. So instead of being up there with Smith, Stanton and Fletcher, he'll always be just another "might have been". Very sad but all his own fault. The poster above who said let this be a lesson to Sparky is spot on.

HibbyAndy
17-08-2012, 12:37 PM
My favourite ever Hibs player.The best striker at easter rd since the 70's.

All the best Deek wherever you end up :aok:

VickMackie
17-08-2012, 12:38 PM

col02
17-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I wish Riordan all the best in hopefully getting back playing first team football. I have to wonder if the desire and hunger is really there though or is he just going thru the motions. Sad to say this about a player who brought such joy when playing for Hibs but he never really fulfilled the potential that was there in my opinion!

Mac
17-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Riorden has bags of talent but, like so many other gifted Scottish footballers, seems to be as thick as mince. So instead of being up there with Smith, Stanton and Fletcher, he'll always be just another "might have been". Very sad but all his own fault. The poster above who said let this be a lesson to Sparky is spot on.

You are clearly on the wind up!!!

Riordan not Riorden and to put Fletcher in the same breath as Stanton and Smith, not just that but Stanton wasnt a striker either!!

I do think when you look at what Fletcher has achieved compared to Riordan, clearly shows what you can do if you knuckle down and keep your nose relatively clean, Riordan was a far better player than Fletcher was.

Thecat23
17-08-2012, 12:50 PM

No chance, absolutely no chance. Derek wasn't anywhere near as fit and defo didn't do more covering than in his first spell. Was sad to see him leave in his first spell, can't say i was after his second. Grateful for the goals he's scored for us and at times those goals were simply stunning. Glad he's not back at Hibs though but wish him well for the future.

dangermouse
17-08-2012, 01:00 PM

No chance, absolutely no chance. Derek wasn't anywhere near as fit and defo didn't do more covering than in his first spell. Was sad to see him leave in his first spell, can't say i was after his second. Grateful for the goals he's scored for us and at times those goals were simply stunning. Glad he's not back at Hibs though but wish him well for the future.

I sometimes wonder if people ever watch games. Deek often found himself covering at left back in his second spell. As Judas says, his laziness was an urban myth.

Thecat23
17-08-2012, 01:04 PM
I sometimes wonder if people ever watch games. Deek often found himself covering at left back in his second spell. As Judas says, his laziness was an urban myth.

I can only comment on the home games as i didn't take in any away. But i used to specifically watch Derek and how he tried to fit into our style of play then. If he lost the ball he did chase back now and then yes, but he often lost the head and just had a bit of a strop and stood there moaning. I honestly think this was more down to his fitness at the time and not the fact he wasn't trying. Just my opinion though.

Judas Iscariot
17-08-2012, 01:08 PM

You can't help it if people have pre-conceived or assumed opinions/info regarding Riordan...

Famous5forever
17-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Why are we no negotiating with him to return to ER We can offer better terms than RC Even as a pay as you play basis he is a quality finisher that no one can take away BRING BACK DEEK PLEASE:aok:

ScottB
17-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Why are we no negotiating with him to return to ER We can offer better terms than RC Even as a pay as you play basis he is a quality finisher that no one can take away BRING BACK DEEK PLEASE:aok:

Because it'd be a horrendously terrible idea, for both parties.

Yes, his first stint with us he was incredible, his second stint wasn't bad, but he was clearly not the same player. Since then he's done what? Went to China for a bit, then struggled to get a game for St Johnstone?

His being a fantastic player years ago is an irrelevance when judging whether he'd be a good signing today. Indeed his history with us is nothing but baggage to drag him down when he starts getting crucified for not being the player he was. We have Griffiths, Kuqi, Doyle, Caldwell and Handling on the books. I'd rather we went after the sort of players we are currently missing with what budget we have left.

He needs a fresh start, and so do we. No more ex players using the club as a rehab centre.

hibee_girl
17-08-2012, 01:37 PM

He was often one of the hardest working players in the team

JimBHibees
17-08-2012, 01:55 PM

That may well be true however IMO he was nowhere near as sharp as he was when at Hibs first time. He was usually able to create a half yard with a bit of skill but wasnt sharp enough to take full advantage second time round. Wonderful talent though and one of my favourite Deek goals was a raker at Parkhead when he let the ball run across him and he rifled in a brilliant strike with his left foot from 25 yards or so.

Famous5forever
17-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Because it'd be a horrendously terrible idea, for both parties.

Yes, his first stint with us he was incredible, his second stint wasn't bad, but he was clearly not the same player. Since then he's done what? Went to China for a bit, then struggled to get a game for St Johnstone?

His being a fantastic player years ago is an irrelevance when judging whether he'd be a good signing today. Indeed his history with us is nothing but baggage to drag him down when he starts getting crucified for not being the player he was. We have Griffiths, Kuqi, Doyle, Caldwell and Handling on the books. I'd rather we went after the sort of players we are currently missing with what budget we have left.

He needs a fresh start, and so do we. No more ex players using the club as a rehab centre.

I Guess you are spot on there i just hope he does not come back and Haunt us by scoring for RC Against us:confused:

silverhibee
17-08-2012, 02:35 PM

We have seen time and time again that signing ex-players doesn't work very often.........

We have also seen time and time again bringing in players who have not played for Hibs doesn't work very often either and the club end up having to pay these players off, it works both ways, big Gaz, came back ended up top goal scorer for the season he was here and his goals probably saved us from playing in the 1st division this season, i know there were problems with him but i would say bringing him back was a success, the final soured a lot of fans for his behaviour after the game.

Deeks second stint,(not just the last 6 months) but the the 3 seasons he was here has to be a success, top goal scorer two of the seasons and just behind Stokes the other season and Deek played left midfield that season, and sure he was top with assist's in these 3 seasons as well.

Ivan, it has never worked out for him in his second spell.

Vault Boy
17-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I'd hate to see Deek back in the SPL with anyone but us. I'm not saying we should go for him, I'm saying he should go away. :greengrin

Cabbage East
17-08-2012, 02:51 PM
i would love to see him back at Hibs but it's not going to happen, so if he does go to County then good luck to a Hibs legend.

erin go bragh
17-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Riordan is a Hibs Legend .

Best striker we have had at easter road in the last 30 years .

Would love to see him back with us :cb Deeks ,Sparky and Kuqi :agree:

ggtth

Beefster
17-08-2012, 04:40 PM

He was possibly one of the slowest players in the team at the time. Quite a feat considering the team.

Riordan's time at Hibs has passed. He was magic in his first spell and fine for most of his second. Let's leave it there.

Bob Box Fish
17-08-2012, 05:08 PM
How many goals did we score from midfield last season? How many are we likely to score from midfield this season ......

The Modfather
17-08-2012, 06:22 PM
How many goals did we score from midfield last season? How many are we likely to score from midfield this season ......

How many games did Riordan play last season, never mind score....

There's a reason he has been unemployed for an absolute age and is still without a club after the season has started. The fact he wasn't even fit enough for a trial says it all.

I thought we were serious about changing the culture at Easter Road? Or do we make exceptions for certain players?

Bob Box Fish
17-08-2012, 06:34 PM

There's a reason he has been unemployed for an absolute age and is still without a club after the season has started. The fact he wasn't even fit enough for a trial says it all.

I thought we were serious about changing the culture at Easter Road? Or do we make exceptions for certain players?

From our current midfielders - Stevenson, Claros , Sproule , Deegan , Wotherspoon, Galbraith and Cairney I think only the latter may score goals.

Changing the culture didn't last long signing Maybury and Kuqi screams more of desperation than changing the ways of recent panic buys.

Riordan might not be the answer but we need to get goals from somewhere.

Moving off topic the team as a whole if McPake and Griffiths both got injured there would be no leadership or goals in it.

Northernhibee
17-08-2012, 06:43 PM
From our current midfielders - Stevenson, Claros , Sproule , Deegan , Wotherspoon, Galbraith and Cairney I think only the latter may score goals.

Changing the culture didn't last long signing Maybury and Kuqi screams more of desperation than changing the ways of recent panic buys.

Moving off topic the team as a whole if McPake and Griffiths both got injured there would be no leadership or goals in it.

Kuqi and Maybury will bring on our youngsters and bring experience and professionalism into our dressing room.

Mistake aside, Maybury was perfect in his positioning last week. The mistake will have been from a new defence combination undertanding each other, but Maybury was the business.

stoneyburn hibs
17-08-2012, 06:53 PM

I would make an exception for Derek , whats wrong with a pay as you play deal ? , Get yersel fit derek and show us how a club legend plays. At worst it would add to the gate naw ?

Jonnyboy
17-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Poor Derek. Every time his name is mentioned we get a lengthy debate on where he is, how he got there and why we wouldn't take him back. Although I'm in the 'take him back' group (I can see him feeding off Kuqi if they were played as a pair) I just wish we could accept that he was a phenomenal player for the club and wish him well for the future.

Judas Iscariot
17-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Williams

Clancy McPake Hanlon Maybury

Cairnie Claros Deegan

Riordan Kuqi Griffiths

Fits in nicely :aok::greengrin

theonlywayisup
17-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I wish people would stop bickering about Derek Riordan. He was one of the greats, when it came to putting the ball into the back of the net. His game was not about tracking back and trying to win the ball back, it was all about getting a chance and taking it. And I say "thank you for all you did whilst at Hibs".

During his second spell, I agree with many that he did work harder on the pitch trying to track back and win the ball. Like Thecat23, I also used to watch him a lot and IMHO I thought his tracking back was better than most of the players we had at the time. Unfortunately, that does not say a lot when you look at some of the poor players we had at the time. The problem then was that that effort took away the edge in the places where we really needed it i.e. up front!

weecounty hibby
17-08-2012, 09:52 PM
So do we think that Pat has done well on the transfer front so far and trust him to make the right decisions then when it comes to Derek, a player that no other club seems to want, some want pay per play or even worse just to sign him. PF is building a team, a squad and a club up from a low level and Derek Riordan will not be part of it and rightly so in my opinion. Great memories of a once great player but in Pat we need to trust

Scooter
17-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Derek was prob one of my fav players. However I don't think he would fit into pats team and another thing he is def not the best striker we have had, best finnisher yeah but IMO fletcher, miller & o'connor were better strikers than him

ScottB
17-08-2012, 11:30 PM
For me it boils down to this.

If we were linked with say, an ex Dundee United striker, who while having scored a lot of goals years ago, had basically not kicked a ball in over a year and appeared to be totally lacking in fitness. Folk on here would be screaming murder. What nonsense to label Kuqi and Maybury 'panic buys' but moving for Riordan wouldn't be?

It's time to move on, for us and for him. Good luck to him and thanks for the memories. I'd like to keep the good ones than have them ruined Sproule style thanks.

The Modfather
18-08-2012, 02:52 AM

Your missing the point. Maybury and Kuqi may or may not be panic signings, and may or may not be the experience we need. However they turn out they are the right type of characters that are fundamental to changing the unprofessional, waster attitude that has been evident for a long long time.

Riordan is all but finished as a professional footballer, barring a change in lifestyle and attitude he has not shown until now. A great player for the club, but the only way merits being back at ER these days is a paying punter.

heidtheba
18-08-2012, 06:19 AM
I'd have him back in a heartbeat but on a contract so full of conditions that it would only suit us. Financial punishments linked to off-field fracas, or training ground strops, incentives linked to goals, assists and general 'good behaviour'. I'd also have the contract set up so that poor performances would mean it was accepted by both parties that he could be dropped from the team. Incentives would be so good that the Ross County contract would pale into comparison - but only if he achieved what we wanted him to. Would make it clear that doing well for us would be doing well for his career, reputation and financial status. I'm surprised this sort of stuff isn't done more often with players who have been a bit wayward - surely it would be obvious that its not the club using a player but simply helping him get back on track.
I watch F1 and have for years and I remember Benetton offered ex- world champion Nelson Piquet a contract in 1989. He'd been seriously crap for two years and everyone knew the talent was there...just not the motivation. The contract he was offered, by a top team, certainly saw a new side to the driver as he was paid handsomely per point scored.
It could work and benefit both parties in this situation too...

clerriehibs
18-08-2012, 07:35 AM

It worked with deeks, unless being top goalscoter again and again counts as 'not working'

Beefster
18-08-2012, 07:57 AM
It worked with deeks, unless being top goalscoter again and again counts as 'not working'

The season with Stokes aside, when he wasn't top scorer, Riordan was just about the only constant in the side after his return. There was an element of him being top scorer by default and even then Sodje out-scored him in the last half of last season.

Using your logic, we should have just had O'Connor renew and never minded about the whole culture change thing.

Unlike his spell at Celtic, when he still managed to show glimpses that he still had it, he's done absolutely hee-haw in the last [almost] two years to suggest that he's still capable (in fat, there have been stories about trials being stopped because he isn't fit enough). At a time when we're cutting budgets and every penny is a prisoner, we can't afford to be gambling on players that no-one has a clue what we're going to get or that are going to take until Christmas to get fit.

Famous5forever
18-08-2012, 08:18 AM
So do we think that Pat has done well on the transfer front so far and trust him to make the right decisions then when it comes to Derek, a player that no other club seems to want, some want pay per play or even worse just to sign him. PF is building a team, a squad and a club up from a low level and Derek Riordan will not be part of it and rightly so in my opinion. Great memories of a once great player but in Pat we need to trust

Kuqi is 35 thats building for the future is it:confused: Deek was the last players to score a winning goal against the yams and he is a big hibby and is the type of player we need ie he puts the ball in the net he is excellent at free kicks and penalties and has a good few years left in him.
I Dont see why we are mot at least talking to his agent about a possible return

Baldy Foghorn
18-08-2012, 08:19 AM
The season with Stokes aside, when he wasn't top scorer, Riordan was just about the only constant in the side after his return. There was an element of him being top scorer by default and even then Sodje out-scored him in the last half of last season.

Using your logic, we should have just had O'Connor renew and never minded about the whole culture change thing.

Unlike his spell at Celtic, when he still managed to show glimpses that he still had it, he's done absolutely hee-haw in the last [almost] two years to suggest that he's still capable (in fat, there have been stories about trials being stopped because he isn't fit enough). At a time when we're cutting budgets and every penny is a prisoner, we can't afford to be gambling on players that no-one has a clue what we're going to get or that are going to take until Christmas to get fit.

Saved me replying:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
18-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Keqi is 35 thats building for the future is it:confused: Deek was the last players to score a winning goal against the yams and he is a big hibby and is the type of player we need ie he puts the ball in the net he is excellent at free kicks and penalties and has a good few years left in him.

Big hibby, excellent at set plays, yadda yadda yadda.....If PF wanted him, he would have contacted DR.....Lets just leave it at that, without the constant DR should come back/no he shouldn't arguements.....

HibeeN
18-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Kuqi is 35 thats building for the future is it:confused: Deek was the last players to score a winning goal against the yams and he is a big hibby and is the type of player we need ie he puts the ball in the net he is excellent at free kicks and penalties and has a good few years left in him.

Signing Kuqi at 35 is not building for the future in the sense that he will grow and develop and be with us for many years, but it will help with the future of our younger players such as Doyle, Griffiths, Caldwell and Handling. The guy has loads of experience and the fact that he is playing in the SPL at 35 shows that if a player has the right attitude towards determination and fitness, then his career doesn't have to waste away.

Signing Riordan would not be building for the future. I worshiped him first time he was at the club, and he did well in his second, but I wouldn't want to see him back for a third spell. Yes, he has incredible natural talent but I don't think our other strikers can learn anything from him, either on or off the pitch.

Baldy Foghorn
18-08-2012, 08:43 AM
For me it boils down to this.

If we were linked with say, an ex Dundee United striker, who while having scored a lot of goals years ago, had basically not kicked a ball in over a year and appeared to be totally lacking in fitness. Folk on here would be screaming murder. What nonsense to label Kuqi and Maybury 'panic buys' but moving for Riordan wouldn't be?

It's time to move on, for us and for him. Good luck to him and thanks for the memories. I'd like to keep the good ones than have them ruined Sproule style thanks.

:agree::agree:

Top post Scott....

500miles
18-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Gonnae explain to me how signing someone who you admitted interest in from nigh-on the very start of the transfer window is desperate? Furthermore, explain how signing an experienced forward, with a good goalscoring history, who continued to start regularly the season before, and could be a Brewster-like role model for out young forwards on the edge of the first time, can be a "panic buy"?

Hibs have not had that sort of experience at the club for a while, and I think Pat believes that thier seniority, and professionalism with be a positive influence on the dressing room.

jiggerman
18-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm unsure of the Kuqi signing, i.e. he could be a mixu our an agogo, but there are two themes in the previous threads which need addressed:

1. What's wrong with Fenlon signing Kuqi as a short term signing? He must believe he had attributes we are lacking at the moment. Anyone who thinks Pat will be able to sign a whole new squad in one window is being unrealistic. I would be happy were Kuqi to repeat last seasons figures as he did for Oldham.

2. Riordan is done. He was always a maverick who was one of the best finishers I have seen at Easter Road, but surely everyone must be able to recognise that he was supported by a (relatively) great team in his first spell. His second spell just showed that despite being the best striker of a ball to play for Hibs without the backup he's not worth having in the team. Finally, over and above that, he is not physically as capable as he was when he was younger. A St Johnstone supporting mate of mine couldn't believe how ineffective he was for them - slow and weak. I know there will be those who defend Riordan tot he hilt - believe me I loved the guy as a player for Hibs in his first spell - but there is nothing wrong with being honest about the guys current abilities.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm unsure of the Kuqi signing, i.e. he could be a mixu our an agogo, but there are two themes in the previous threads which need addressed:

1. What's wrong with Fenlon signing Kuqi as a short term signing? He must believe he had attributes we are lacking at the moment. Anyone who thinks Pat will be able to sign a while new

What are you asking?

cabbageandribs1875
18-08-2012, 09:15 AM
What are you asking?

got me confuddled as well

jiggerman
18-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Easily confused.

There seems to be a quorum of people that are irate that Kuqi is a panic buy or not one for the future. I don't see what is wrong with a short term signing if he adds something we lack.

Stantons Angel
18-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Ive read with interest the posts on this thread about DR and should we have him back or should we just move on.

I have great memories of his on field exploits and i know he is a good Hibs supporter too. I also have images of his off field exploits and newspaper headlines linking his antics to him being a Hibs "favourite". Continually never learning from his exploits.

As far as im concerned Derek shot himself in the foot both times he played for his beloved club and each time he ended up turning his back on us for money. First to Celtic where he spent most of his time sitting on the bench getting spales in his bum! There too his off the field culture took over from his football.

No other teams showed interest in taking him on loan other than Hibs, where he was warmly welcomed "home". After eventually signing for us again he finished top scorer once again. Still the off field activities continued and his influence in the dressing room became unacceptable by the manager.

Then once again he chose to leave by not renewing his contract and chose to go to Asia and follow the money trail once again. When that did not work out back he came looking for a club again. They are not exactly lining up to sign him are they? He has had spells at clubs recently where neither of them have offered him a contract due to his lack of fitness etc. He was already refused training facilities with Hibs so that must tell you something, do you not think?

If Ross County were still in the First Division do you believe he would be looking at playing with them? He still thinks he can play at premier league standard and may have thought that he would put himself in the window by playing every week? If he is so unfit it will take at least till the year end to get playing for 90 mins. Thats nearly a quarter of the way through the season too.

I wish Derek no malice but i dont think his future lies with Hibs any longer. The "Summer of Change" has begun and we need to move forward we cant afford a player who sometimes only plays when he wants too. Fenlon is right when he says our players must be of a certain "mindset" and i dont see that in Derek.

Good luck to him and i thank him for the memories he has left behind. Lets go forward with the team and give them the support they deserve.

Col2
18-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Ive read with interest the posts on this thread about DR and should we have him back or should we just move on.

I have great memories of his on field exploits and i know he is a good Hibs supporter too. I also have images of his off field exploits and newspaper headlines linking his antics to him being a Hibs "favourite". Continually never learning from his exploits.

As far as im concerned Derek shot himself in the foot both times he played for his beloved club and each time he ended up turning his back on us for money. First to Celtic where he spent most of his time sitting on the bench getting spales in his bum! There too his off the field culture took over from his football.

No other teams showed interest in taking him on loan other than Hibs, where he was warmly welcomed "home". After eventually signing for us again he finished top scorer once again. Still the off field activities continued and his influence in the dressing room became unacceptable by the manager.

Then once again he chose to leave by not renewing his contract and chose to go to Asia and follow the money trail once again. When that did not work out back he came looking for a club again. They are not exactly lining up to sign him are they? He has had spells at clubs recently where neither of them have offered him a contract due to his lack of fitness etc. He was already refused training facilities with Hibs so that must tell you something, do you not think?

If Ross County were still in the First Division do you believe he would be looking at playing with them? He still thinks he can play at premier league standard and may have thought that he would put himself in the window by playing every week? If he is so unfit it will take at least till the year end to get playing for 90 mins. Thats nearly a quarter of the way through the season too.

I wish Derek no malice but i dont think his future lies with Hibs any longer. The "Summer of Change" has begun and we need to move forward we cant afford a player who sometimes only plays when he wants too. Fenlon is right when he says our players must be of a certain "mindset" and i dont see that in Derek.

Good luck to him and i thank him for the memories he has left behind. Lets go forward with the team and give them the support they deserve.

Great post. Is it wrong to say while I totally agree with you, I would still not be disappointed if we signed him?!?

The Modfather
18-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Again, i here this wasted his career? If being top goalscorer every season, and scoring over 100 goals for Hibs is wasting your career, give me two or three more wasters please, as those are the times we seem to have our best times?

I'd have him in now, give him a chance to train with the club, the players and let him have a chance to knock all these managers and psychologist we have here. If Fenlon is right, we have enough characters at the club now to make sure he knows whats right and wrong, and can step in if they see anything untoward.

2 or 3 caps and never scored for his country. Is that a fair return for his career? He scored some outrageous goals for us and I won't ever forget them, but Nish is also on the top 10 SPL scorers list. While it is still an achievement to score 100odd goals for Hibs, Nish shows if you hang around long enough it is possible.

What makes you think he is still capable of playing football again, never mind in the SPL? A player who is looking for a new club, after drifting for the last 2 years or so, and wasn't even fit enough to complete a trial. Sounds like someone who would have fitted right in at Easter Road the last few years. Now we are trying to become a more professional club, at almost 30 I have given up on Riordan ever growing up and acting like a professional. There is much better out there, in every aspect, than the current Riordan, it's up to Hibs to go find them.

Bob Box Fish
18-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Gonnae explain to me how signing someone who you admitted interest in from nigh-on the very start of the transfer window is desperate? Furthermore, explain how signing an experienced forward, with a good goalscoring history, who continued to start regularly the season before, and could be a Brewster-like role model for out young forwards on the edge of the first time, can be a "panic buy"?

Hibs have not had that sort of experience at the club for a while, and I think Pat believes that thier seniority, and professionalism with be a positive influence on the dressing room.

Your forgetting Paddy mentioned on several occasions that due to money he missed out on what he called 'quality' signings. IMO Maybury and Kerr were loitering as backups incase he missed out on his original targets. If Deegan was not signed we would probably have Kerr too.

If we are trying to change the 'culture' which everyone is talking about then we re-signed the guy who was one of the two that brought on the most negative press to the club last season. Furthermore, the other 'big' problem was signing guys on loan / short term deals and in Maybury / Kuqi we have done the same again. Maybury done OK last weekend but his mistake cost us points. We need to start winning games ASAP or we will be isolated come xmas and having the same conversations next year regarding signing players / season ticket sales / Petrie / cultures etc.

I fully understand why people wouldn't want Deeks back, however, we need to start scoring goals from midfield other than relying on a guy who will pick up silly suspensions and a guy who is at the end of his career. Hopefully Cairney may chip in with a few but I cant see the rest doing so.

HibbyAndy
18-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Again, i here this wasted his career? If being top goalscorer every season, and scoring over 100 goals for Hibs is wasting your career, give me two or three more wasters please, as those are the times we seem to have our best times?

I'd have him in now, give him a chance to train with the club, the players and let him have a chance to knock all these managers and psychologist we have here. If Fenlon is right, we have enough characters at the club now to make sure he knows whats right and wrong, and can step in if they see anything untoward.

Spot on.

Id have a waster like Riordan in my team every single day of the year.

NorthNorfolkHFC
18-08-2012, 11:32 AM

I agree, he was never strong enough. He never went to the gym and was never interested in bulking up to enhance his career prospects. If he'd stayed off the bevvy his training would have also improved as he would have been able to get fitter and train at a higher level. My only assumption re: his Scotland prospects is that managers overlooked him for his extra curricular activities.

Edinburgh is a small place, there are not many people who don't know the route he chose. There is a huge difference between a casual drink and a night out. The ban speaks volumes.

Of course he wasted his career. However, he didn't waste his Hibs career because as you said he scored over 100 goals for our club.

From my point of view he was better than Hibs and should have prospered therefore he has wasted his career. Scoring 100+ goals for Hibs is not a success. You only have to look at the variety and technique in all his Hibs goals to see that he had all the natural ability required to be a star, but to achieve you have to add to that natural ability and choose the correct life: he didn't.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2012, 11:40 AM
2 or 3 caps and never scored for his country. Is that a fair return for his career? He scored some outrageous goals for us and I won't ever forget them, but Nish is also on the top 10 SPL scorers list. While it is still an achievement to score 100odd goals for Hibs, Nish shows if you hang around long enough it is possible.

I think you along with quite a few others are elevating Derek into some kind of fantastic footballer who had the world at his feet, that in my opinion is way off the mark. Derek was a great goalscorer and creator in the SPL, mainly at Hibs. To compare him with Nish is laughable, Nish has always played up front and relied on service from the likes of Riordan, who has never been classed as a centre forward. Riordans goals have mainly been from the left side, and scored in half the time and less games.

What makes you think he is still capable of playing football again, never mind in the SPL? A player who is looking for a new club, after drifting for the last 2 years or so, and wasn't even fit enough to complete a trial. Sounds like someone who would have fitted right in at Easter Road the last few years. Now we are trying to become a more professional club, at almost 30 I have given up on Riordan ever growing up and acting like a professional. There is much better out there, in every aspect, than the current Riordan, it's up to Hibs to go find them.

I have no idea if he's fit, thats why i said i'd like us to bring him in and give HIM the chance to prove himself. It would cost nothing for us to have a look, and let him try and impress.
as i said, we have enough of the right kind of characters at the club now, to make sure he does the right things.

And as i also previously said, we see the best of Riordan in good Hibs sides, if as we all hope we have turned the corner and we are going to be decent, if he can get fit he'd score goals and create. It would be entirely up to Derek, but again in my opinion worth taking a look at.

silverhibee
18-08-2012, 11:59 AM
He was possibly one of the slowest players in the team at the time. Quite a feat considering the team.

Riordan's time at Hibs has passed. He was magic in his first spell and fine for most of his second. Let's leave it there.

Falling on deaf ears isn't it, even you didn't take your own advice.

hibsmad
18-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I personally think that it would be madness not to give him another try.

I can't see him being after much money. Pay as you play deal that either party can cancel at any point. What would there be to lose?

Let's see what Fenlon could get out of him. Although his second stint with us was disappointing I honestly would not be surprised if he returned, and under the right stewardship, proved to be a great player for us once again.

Who wouldn't have wanted us to be bring Deek on with ten minutes to go last week considering the space we were creating?

Beefster
18-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Easily confused.

There seems to be a quorum of people that are irate that Kuqi is a panic buy or not one for the future. I don't see what is wrong with a short term signing if he adds something we lack.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a short-term signing or two, if it's to plug a problem area or to bring in experience to help the rest of the squad. As long as the general trend is longer-term than that. This summer, it has been.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with a short-term signing or two, if it's to plug a problem area or to bring in experience to help the rest of the squad. As long as the general trend is longer-term than that. This summer, it has been.

:agree: I'd imagine if we cant get who we really want in before the window shuts, we might get a couple of loans in to bulk the squad up a bit. I think we are still a little short in quality, should we suffer a couple of suspensions or injuries.

LeighLoyal
18-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Was highly impressed with Ross C today. Tidy players that work their socks off, Riordan would have to do it to get a game there.

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Fwiw, my boss is a big ipswich fan and he reckons once match fit, kuqi will rip spl defences a new one...

jdships
19-08-2012, 12:33 PM
:agree: I'd imagine if we cant get who we really want in before the window shuts, we might get a couple of loans in to bulk the squad up a bit. I think we are still a little short in quality, should we suffer a couple of suspensions or injuries.

Just been chatting to one of my lads at EM and he was hinting that is exactly what could happen ( but only one before January !) :agree:

Northernhibee
19-08-2012, 04:44 PM
The pleasing thing is that if there were only two players available to sign up this season, PF would have made two signings. CC, Yogi etc. would have made seven or eight and we'd have been stuck with a ton of Agogos, Thornhills and Towells that aren't Hibs class and would drag us down.

It's felt like a very different summer IMO.

jacomo
19-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Hard hat at the ready.

GGTTH

Not sure this kind of deal would suit either party tbh. I've never met Riordan, but from what I can see he's a more complex character than is often made out. An uncomplicated soul who's playing for his supper could thrive on a pay-as-you-play deal, but I can't see Riordan looking on patiently from the bench if not in the starting 11.

silverhibee
22-08-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-county-boss-steps-up-1273262

jacomo
22-08-2012, 04:16 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-county-boss-steps-up-1273262

Sounds like they're some way off doing a deal - Adams hasn't even spoken to him yet.

Any idea who these other clubs are?

silverhibee
22-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Sounds like they're some way off doing a deal - Adams hasn't even spoken to him yet.

Any idea who these other clubs are?

Adams has already said that he has spoke to him.

Yeah.

.Sean.
22-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Adams has already said that he has spoke to him.

Yeah.
Pleeeeeeease let Hibs be one.

ShanksSaidNo
22-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Hard hat at the ready.

GGTTH
A more accomplished finisher? Leigh Griffiths??

Tha Cabbage Kid
22-08-2012, 05:16 PM
as a footballer he is fantastic and maybe if adams can sort him out i say he should go to county. if he comes to us and ends up staying on the bench, as a hibbe that would make me happy but as a person i want him to be the best he can be. and that is some way off where he is now.

all the best deeks. hope the decision you make is the right one. listen to your head not you agent.